• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dance of Dragons (509)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON FIVE
    THE DANCE OF DRAGONS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 509
    With his army in the snow-covered void between Castle Black and Winterfell, Stannis makes a fateful decision to hold the favor of the Lord of Lights. Jon leads the Wildlings to the Wall, while Arya recognizes a visitor to Bravos. Daenerys reluctantly presides over Meereen's bloodsport, only to discover that Ser Jorah is among those who are fighting for her ... to the death.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 18 June 2015, 11:31 PM.

Before anyone gets upset with D&D, watch the Inside the Episode for this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLScJVXBHQ

It was GRRM's plan all along.
    sigpic

Comment

I felt bad for Shireen, she was such a sweet, innocent character. I'm not sure I understand all the outrage coming from people who believed that Stannis was such a good man, he would never do such a thing. Stannis loved his daughter (probably more than anything/anyone), but (to me) it seems in character for him to sacrifice her for what he thinks will be for good of the realm. It's been established that he would do anything to fulfill (what he believes to be) his birthright/destiny. He killed his younger brother by using Melisandre's magic instead fighting him in battle, he had his men burned as sacrifices to the Lord of Light; he tried to kill Gendry. He doesn't enjoy sacrificing people, he just thinks it's necessary. I've never been a big Stannis fan though, so I probably don't feel as strongly about what he did as those who love the character might.

My feelings for Stannis are about the same as my feelings for Dany (books and show). I don't dislike them, and sometimes I actually really like some of their scenes, but they're not my favorites and I don't really care if either of them claims their "birthright"/fulfills their destiny. I care more about how they affect the story as a whole, than the individual characters.

I really liked this episode, though it seemed to be mainly setting things up for the finale.
      sigpic

Comment

Well, the two clangers I saw coming when their respective scenes started, but a good episode overall.

The attack on the camp, Stannis sending away his hand (cant remember his name) and the goodbye made it obvious of what his choice would be. But he looks changed when he watches his daughter burn...

Same with Daenerys as soon as the Sons of Harpy attacked. Wasnt expecting her to ride the dragon though!

I can see Arya digging out her sword in the next episode...

Very interested to see what the finale brings!
        Last edited by Teddybrown; 08 June 2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I liked the episode but wish they didn't BBQ the girl. Oh well.

One thing I thought was kind of bad was the arena cheering parts. The people looked like they were fake cheering. This is a problem in a lot of shows. The one show that got it right was Spartacus. That show had some very good arena cheering scenes. Actually arena scenes were just better.

Another thing that was odd was there wasn't enough panic in the arena. The dragon touches down and flames people and there are still people standing in the arena. You do see people run but not enough a awe inspiring dragon should be producing.

Comment

Likely a lack of different motion capture or just not enough 'people'
            I loved it when Dany called Drogon and then rode him. It's like she finally embraced herself. (and hey, they got rid of the inconvenient fiance too)
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Wasn't it implied at one point that he was the Harpies leader, or am I just making that up, its a while since I watched the first four episodes...

Also, I cant believe its the finale next week! Why are these seasons so short???

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                Wasn't it implied at one point that he was the Harpies leader, or am I just making that up, its a while since I watched the first four episodes...

Also, I cant believe its the finale next week! Why are these seasons so short???
                Dany believed he might be their leader at one point I think, or at least connected with him which is why she threatened to execute him. From the Harpies' point of view he probably just looked like a traitor after their wedding was announced.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  his hand (cant remember his name)
                  seriously? '_'

anyway with retrospect there were hints, for starters he did commit fratricide so why not infanticide

also he had no problem executing guards for the crime of...falling asleep? wth

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                    Another thing that was odd was there wasn't enough panic in the arena. The dragon touches down and flames people and there are still people standing in the arena. You do see people run but not enough a awe inspiring dragon should be producing.
                    apparently in GOT dragons ain't as badass as in some classic mythologies
                    in particular they're mortal (they even age) and they ain't even invulnerable as they can be injured, by mere man-made non-magical weapons at that. not very impressive

Comment

Well, dragons normally straf from the sky and rain fire down....so wooden spears aren't usually an issue...cept for Drogon making himself vulnerable to save Dany
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yeah but there's the other classic scenario where dragons face entire armies on the ground throwing metal spears & arrows that bounce harmlessly off the dragon while it BBQs them (then comes a paladin with a blessed magic sword that can pierce the dragon's hide so he can kill it - and even then it has to strike the dragon's heart, anywhere else & it will heal - then save the princess & blah blah)

here dragons appear to be nothing more than animals (like here youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7bjwEXp7Y )

Comment

Working...
                        X