Between - new Netflix show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between - new Netflix show

I just watched the first episode of Between on Netflix. Not sure about that title yet; "between" what and what? Unlike most of their other original shows the pilot is all that is available right now, so you can't binge on the six episodes. That's to say if you wanted to. I don't know if I'll bother. The second one will probably be up tomorrow, since the first one premiered last Thursday.

The writing and the acting are both poor, and the premise is hardly a new one. People are dying in droves in the small town of Pretty Lake, maybe from a heretofore unknown virus. So far, no one under the age of 22 has died, and as of the end of the episode there are still a few adults still alive, but for how long? Do I care?

At this time IMDb does not have a listing for filming locations, but I'm assuming Canada. It might also be set there but no clues about that either, except... One of the characters mentions information from "The Ministry" and a Minister Miller issues a briefing via TV (or internet) broadcast. If this was supposed to be in the US it would have been someone from the Department of Health & Human Services, either the Secretary or Under-Secretary. Or, maybe it's supposed to be sometime in the future when US governmental structure has changed.

I guessed that it was US because that kid who tried to escape was going to study at the MIT, so I figured it was US.

Other than that ... yep, couldn't agree more. The pilot wasn't that thrilling nor do I really care about any of the characters. Writing was pretty predictable and the final cut was ... meh. The whole episode felt like someone was trying to put together scenes in order to tell a story but wasn't really successful.

Talking about predictable writing SpoilerAlert! because of prediction:
    Spoiler:
    Pretty sure that teeny mom will now turn into Super-Teeny-Mom after she held the baby in her arms and realized that this was what was meant to be. Ya, seriously. One time I will see US-Canadian screenwriters do what feels natural for a character who had already shown that she wasn't interested in what was growing inside her as long as she was pregnant. Must be pretty hard to imagine that there are women out there who are not natural mothers *rolls eyes*

I guess the title "Between" means that the kids inside the fence are 1. caught in between life and death as the older they will get, the closer they come to an early death at 22.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
    Sig & Avi by Josi
    sigpic
    LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
    I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

After reading the premise of the show i didn't even bother to watch it.

Comment

Working...
      X