PDA

View Full Version : Chat room?

avalonmist1
May 21st, 2004, 06:23 PM
Hi Darren! I've been away for awhile and was pleasantly surprise by the change with the forum. I love it!!

I do have a question. Will we have a chat room??? Anyway great job! I don't know if this question has been asked before. :cool:

Looking forward to spending eternally here! :)

Darren
May 25th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Hey, Avalon! Good to see you, and glad you like our new digs.

We currently do not have a chat room. I'll have to look into our options.

David
May 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Or multiple spoilery and spoiler-free chatrooms!

KokiriChild
June 4th, 2004, 03:26 PM
setting up an IRC channel and having a JavaIRC client on your page is dead easy!

Anubis
June 5th, 2004, 01:49 AM
It would be great to have a chatroom. Of course there would have to be seperate ones for spoilers. I've seen vBulletin forums with Java chats before

KokiriChild
June 5th, 2004, 02:01 AM
I don't mind setting it up for you guys and programming bots if you want, I've done it all before on IRC

5aret
June 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
It would take a lot of work. Like rules and admids for the chat rooms.
Those things are easily solved though.

David
June 25th, 2004, 12:02 PM
This topic is worthy of a poll :)

ShadowMaat
June 25th, 2004, 12:16 PM
This topic is worthy of a poll :)
Admit it, David, you just like making polls. ;) I'll try not to read anything into that... :P

If you and Teal'c start comparing archives, I'm outta here... :P

David
June 25th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I do rather enjoy making polls, but only if it looks like we're going to be able to improve GateWorld in the process or understand our readers better.

As for Teal'c and I, well, we don't go there.

5aret
June 25th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Im wondering, howcome you are the Supreme System Lord and Darren is not?
Just curious...

ShadowMaat
June 25th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Im wondering, howcome you are the Supreme System Lord and Darren is not?
Just curious...
Darren is Supreme System Lord because Gateworld is HIS creation (generally speaking). He's the Lord High Poobah of Gateworld so his forums title reflects that.

David is Darren's trusted second in command who does a lot of the "grunt work" so to speak, so he's the Supreme System Lord's Lotor. A lotor is the most trusted human slave of a system lord. So it fits. ;)

David
June 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM
It's actually spelled Lo'taur, but there's only 15-or-so characters allowed, and since it's the perfect way to define my role, I allow the word to be misspelled. Bad Lo'taur, bad!!!

ShadowMaat
June 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I wondered about the spelling, actually, but I've seen it spelled a variety of ways and while lo'taur seemed the logical choice to me, it didn't seem to be a popular one so I chose my own spelling. ;)

For the record (and to stay on topic) I'd love for there to be a chatroom. One could hope that it would help cut down on some of the chatter that takes place on the board, but I know better than to expect that to happen. ;)

5aret
June 25th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Darren is Supreme System Lord because Gateworld is HIS creation (generally speaking). He's the Lord High Poobah of Gateworld so his forums title reflects that.

David is Darren's trusted second in command who does a lot of the "grunt work" so to speak, so he's the Supreme System Lord's Lotor. A lotor is the most trusted human slave of a system lord. So it fits. ;)

Ok. I gate it know. I was wondering why There was two Supereme System Lords... :D

David
June 25th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Not all of us are Supreme System Lord material. I'm just a grunt ;)

5aret
June 26th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Have you noticed that "Lotar" or "Lo'taur" is not in the Omnipedia? I wonder why.

ShadowMaat
June 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Maybe you haven't been reading David's messages on the subject. As he explained, quite carefully, there are over 700 entries to the Omnipedia which have not been uploaded yet because Darren is very busy right now and he's the one in charge of doing those uploads/updates.

Patience is a good virtue...

5aret
June 26th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Maybe you haven't been reading David's messages on the subject. As he explained, quite carefully, there are over 700 entries to the Omnipedia which have not been uploaded yet because Darren is very busy right now and he's the one in charge of doing those uploads/updates.

Patience is a good virtue...

I do have patience, I was just wondering why.

Jafana
June 26th, 2004, 09:16 PM
a big BIG yay for a chatroom.
that would be awesome.

I'm certain that SaharaGate at least would agree. Considering the amount of time we spend on icq and msn talking about the greatness that is stargate, to have a ready-built place in which we can worship would be fantastic.

and yes, spoiler and spoiler-free rooms are definately in order. I'm currently under orders to do all that is possible to avoid spoilers no matter how much I might be tempted to just wander into a thread that looks interesting. :S

Idun
June 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM
We just opened up the Stargate IRC Network at Chevron Nine.

We have a whole network dedicated to IRC, there is definitely room for Gateworld there.

Bagpuss
June 27th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I voted "undecided",as I really don't think my typing speed is up to chatroom strength. I prefer to discuss topics on the Forum Boards ,as at least here, if I make any gaffes in my Posts,I can nip back and explain myself better ! :o

If the question had simply been: "Should there be a GW Chatroom",I'd have voted "Yes",in fairness to all you good people who enjoy Chatrooms . :D :cool:

nukechuck
July 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM
I would very very much love to be able to go on a decent chat room and be moderated by decent people

Chirp
July 17th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Chat room??? To chat or not to chat that is the question. Is it noberler to just chat or to set by and watch chat? Just rambeling, I don't know if I would go to the chat room or not. When I go to any chat room I tend to make everyone leave. I'm by myself in 5 mins. I might come by to watch but not interact. :o

Anthro Girl
July 17th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I voted undecided. There would have to be multiple chat rooms. One for general discussion, one for spoilers and one for those people who can discuss <insert annyoing topic here> ad nauseum. :p

dannyh
July 23rd, 2004, 09:00 PM
I could also help out with setting up the chatroom if for some reason you guys need help (probably dont), but I have ALOT of irc experience (eh.. 8/9 years?) lol

disforw
July 23rd, 2004, 10:53 PM
i have registered #gateworld on DALnet, and i will hand over foundership of the channel if it is desided to have a IRC chat room.

you should also know that i can write a Javascript that will connect users to the IRC chat room right off of a page on gateworld.com

PM me if intrested...

SaharaGate
July 24th, 2004, 12:27 AM
a big BIG yay for a chatroom.
that would be awesome.

I'm certain that SaharaGate at least would agree. Considering the amount of time we spend on icq and msn talking about the greatness that is stargate, to have a ready-built place in which we can worship would be fantastic.

and yes, spoiler and spoiler-free rooms are definately in order. I'm currently under orders to do all that is possible to avoid spoilers no matter how much I might be tempted to just wander into a thread that looks interesting. :S

I voted yes...A chatroom would be sooo cool

although I have a feeling that it would start scrolling by VERY quckly because so many people use the forums. I think it would become a very popular feature, very, very quickly, because it has the potential to be the best stargate chat room around (since it would live on the best stargate forum, which is part of the best stargate site...;))

I think several rooms are definitely in order and I think a feature for u to make your own room, for ur own topic (that wouldn't be appropriate in the general chat room or something). Ooooh and some threads could link directly to a corresponding chat room :-)

I'm think of the shippers, RDA droolers, Anti Shippers etc.

And one for Shadow :D

Am I getting carried away?? :o

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I'm in agreement. There would be a lot in there but also there would be people in there all the time, unlike some chatrooms

SaharaGate
July 24th, 2004, 01:29 AM
I'm in agreement. There would be a lot in there but also there would be people in there all the time, unlike some chatrooms

That's what would make it so good...not like other chatrooms where you find yourself all alone, calling 'echo....echoo' ;)

Gateworld has the following to make it successful right from the start...it wouldn't need to attract the fans first.

In my opinion, the sooner we get one the better :) (but then I can be a very impatient person lol...)

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I agree, I'm too impatient for things

Ugly Pig
July 24th, 2004, 12:06 PM
I voted 'Yes!'. A GateWorld chatroom would be oh-so-cool. :)

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 01:03 PM
lol Perhaps one for every forum, if possible and possibly even spoiler and non spoiler? That would be cool!

ktthekitty
January 20th, 2005, 01:18 PM
CHAT ROOM! CHAT ROOM! CHAT ROOM! CHAT ROOM! CHAT ROOM! CHAT ROOM!

Just thought I'd add my words of wisdom lol
Love the changes still trying to get my bearings, way different to the old site

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!

KT xxxxxx

CKO
January 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
great idea.. yes a chat room... i'd use it :)

corey2002
January 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM
There should be (if possible) one(or two-1 for spoilers and one not) for each board in the forums with sub-rooms for episodes like in the Gen.Disc area.

p.s. before this thread, did David have his "rank" as "Supreme System Lord Lotar" and if not what was it?

Supreme Thor
January 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM
There's a chat room....?

ShadowMaat
January 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM
David has always been Darren's Lo'taur. ;)

You could have a spoiler chat and nonspoiler chat or have specific times of the day when spoilers were/weren't allowed. *blink* I probably said that already...

corey2002
January 20th, 2005, 03:06 PM
You could have a spoiler chat and nonspoiler chat or have specific times of the day when spoilers were/weren't allowed. *blink* I probably said that already...
but if you go thrue the post history you might acidently read unwanted spoilers(if there will be a history)

ShadowMaat
January 20th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Why in hell would there be a log of a CHAT ROOM? Unless there's a special guest invited who's gonna be doing a Q&A there's absolutely no reason to record what gets said by random people chatting, nevermind POSTING it somewhere. The point of having a CHAT room would be to allow people to yap away WITHOUT clogging the board with a lot of nonsense. Kinda defeats the purpose if you go ahead and post it anyway. ;)

Er... You DO understand the difference between a chat room (http://www.qesnrecit.qc.ca/inet-law/tools/chat.php) and a message board/discussion forum (http://www.qesnrecit.qc.ca/inet-law/tools/forum.php#forum), right?

corey2002
January 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
ya but ive never been on one ( :o ) to know things like that, so before posting here though i looked it up on google. coincidently my exact serch was
difference between a chat room and a message board lol :D

ShadowMaat
January 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM
A chat room (http://www.qesnrecit.qc.ca/inet-law/tools/chat.php) (in case you don't look back to see my message additions) is basically a realtime room/channel where people can go to talk. A message board/discussion forum (http://www.qesnrecit.qc.ca/inet-law/tools/forum.php#forum) is a whole forum where you can read a variety of messages in different sections and respond to them at your leisure. The Gateworld Forum is a message board. Sometimes some of the stuff is near-instantaneous, but most of the time hours, days or even WEEKS can go between replies.

I'd give you a link to a java chatroom, but I'd be accused of throwing you to the wolves. ;) If you've ever IM'd with anyone, it's a bit like that... only with potentially dozens of people all talking at the same time.

samedi
January 20th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Hey all!

I think a chat room[s] would be good. Somewhere, where you could chat until your hearts content about stargate with people who know what your going on about.

Hugs

roswellgray
January 20th, 2005, 07:09 PM
there are a couple threads about this already. It should be divided the same way as the forum: for each season, for each show, for episode, general discussion, off topic, etc but it should also have an ability to create a chat room based on a thread when let's say two or more people are in general discussion chatroom and decide they want to talk about a common theme.

When one chatter proposes a theme to discuss then when at least one other chatter want to discuss the theme that theme 'becomes' a chatroom which then other chatters can see and join. When all chatters leave the chatroom then the chatroom disappears.

A good model would be based on www.pogo.com chess.

ShadowMaat
January 21st, 2005, 03:47 AM
Ummm.... No. Have a chat network set up like that and you end up with a lot of lonely people wandering around the sections all by themselves maybe bumping into other people on random occasion, but generally avoiding any chance at a real chat. Besides, if the chat network is set up exactly like the forum, then what's the point of having it? Just use the forum.

The point of having a chat room is so that a whole bunch of people can all chat at the same time. One room, two at the most, that's all that's needed. You're supposed to bring people together, not scatter them everywhere. ;)

roswellgray
January 21st, 2005, 03:54 AM
Ummm.... No. Have a chat network set up like that and you end up with a lot of lonely people wandering around the sections all by themselves maybe bumping into other people on random occasion, but generally avoiding any chance at a real chat. Besides, if the chat network is set up exactly like the forum, then what's the point of having it? Just use the forum.

The point of having a chat room is so that a whole bunch of people can all chat at the same time. One room, two at the most, that's all that's needed. You're supposed to bring people together, not scatter them everywhere. ;)

As usual, No. As another poster quite rightly observed, the chat would fly by at a too quick pace and would be rather incoherent. Everyone by my model would still have the opportunities you mentioned and also be able to converse coherently without a lot of white noise - and shippers generate a TREMENDOUS amount of white noise with their extremely low quality drool posts.

Besides which scifi/tek people should not be subjected to such drivel -which I believe was the reason for such shipper exclusive and anti shipper exclusive threads.

No, my model is MUCH more preferable - otherwise people will engage in some rather fierce arguments. :cool:

ShadowMaat
January 21st, 2005, 04:15 AM
Maybe your model is preferrable for YOU, but that doesn't mean it's preferrable to EVERYONE.

I used to chat a lot. I've even been in some Stargate chatrooms. Even with dozen or so people all being in there at once, we managed to remain civil and have actual conversations, even when shippers and antishippers were both there and despite any other factions occupying the same space. One room was more than sufficient.

If you just want to chat with one or two other people because you can't "keep up", then stick to IM. You can get your own little IM chatroom for two or three of your close friends and then you don't have to worry about pollution from outside sources.

If people were as incapable as you imply, then all of IRC, the undernet and chatrooms in general would never have happened. I've been in chats where at least a HUNDRED people were all in the room at once. Sure, it's confusing at first, but you learn to ADAPT. And it isn't as if all 100 people are all talking at the same time, nonstop.

But I digress. You see it your way, I see it mine. I'd prefer one big room to dozens of little tiny rooms. It seems less fractionalized to me.

roswellgray
January 21st, 2005, 04:20 AM
Maybe your model is preferrable for YOU, but that doesn't mean it's preferrable to EVERYONE.

I used to chat a lot. I've even been in some Stargate chatrooms. Even with dozen or so people all being in there at once, we managed to remain civil and have actual conversations, even when shippers and antishippers were both there and despite any other factions occupying the same space. One room was more than sufficient.

If you just want to chat with one or two other people because you can't "keep up", then stick to IM. You can get your own little IM chatroom for two or three of your close friends and then you don't have to worry about pollution from outside sources.

If people were as incapable as you imply, then all of IRC, the undernet and chatrooms in general would never have happened. I've been in chats where at least a HUNDRED people were all in the room at once. Sure, it's confusing at first, but you learn to ADAPT. And it isn't as if all 100 people are all talking at the same time, nonstop.

But I digress. You see it your way, I see it mine. I'd prefer one big room to dozens of little tiny rooms. It seems less fractionalized to me.

Apparently, it's preferable for more than just me. Considering that gateworld posters vary from 100 to 450 per day that's potential a lot of uninteresting conversations to wade thru/endure. My way would present both options and would accomodate both viewpoints easily. It's best.

ShadowMaat
January 21st, 2005, 04:31 AM
And you honestly think that all 450 people would randomly choose to show up and chat at the same time?

I was on a list with over 800 people on it (actually, looking at the list now, it's more like 3,000+). We had scheduled chats every Friday night to discuss the ep. I think we averaged MAYBE five people showing up, and then usually only after someone posted to the group begging for folks to stop by and chat. And I know others got together and chatted at unofficial times, but again, there'd only ever be a bare handful at any given time and usually the room was completely empty. Only when there was a scheduled guest- or the chance of a guest showing up- did the nimbers climb higher and they were STILL fully manageable. At least from my perspective. And I don't recall seeing anyone else complain that things were happening "too fast". But that's only my experience.

The point is, not EVERYONE is going to want to use the chat feature. Why try and make accomodations for 1,000 when maybe 50 might use it on a regular basis?

The shippers already have their own chat area, anyway. And they don't have to worry about "outsiders" dropping in for the specific purpose of trolling.

But like I said, you think YOUR way is best. I simply disagree. I can see some valid points in your argument, but I still don't think it's worth all that effort. One or two rooms would, in my opinion, be MORE than adequate to handle any load Gateworld might dish up.

I guess if a chat area is ever created, we'll see what the admins decide...

Darren
January 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM
Perhaps rather than debating hypotheticals, we should consider what GW's chat room would be: a single, common area for live, text-on-screen conversation. No logging or publishing of logs except during special events.

ShadowMaat
January 21st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Darren. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on any further news. Can't imagine it's high on the priority list. I think most of us can suffer along without a Gateworld chatroom. At least for a while. ;)

Matt G
January 21st, 2005, 02:15 PM
I'd probably swing into a GW chat room every now and again.

Gatekid
January 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM
setting up an IRC channel and having a JavaIRC client on your page is dead easy!

I would Gladly Host The IRC Server.

Or I could get a good host that will only charge $5 a month.

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 02:35 AM
I am in favour

Cycrow
August 1st, 2005, 06:04 AM
yeah i could host an irc server as well, in fact i already have one thats not doing anything right now, it used to be part of a larger network, but now its just used to test when im programming clients and bots

MartoufMarty
August 1st, 2005, 06:13 AM
I would like there to be a chatroom.

A bunch of us have little chats just about everyday on MSN Messenger.

I remember back when I was a member of the Yahoo Group SG1Fans there would always be chats.

Alot of people use different messengers (AOL, AIM, MSN, and... misc) and some don't even use any at all.

It would be nice to have a big chat with a bunch of SG-1 and SGA fans that I've never talked with before :)

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 06:49 AM
It would also help keep topics ontopic as stuff like nice sig could be said in the chatroom

Unamed
August 1st, 2005, 10:11 AM
The only problem would be spoiler controll.

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 11:50 AM
Could a spoiler tag be implemented in a chat room

Cycrow
August 1st, 2005, 03:51 PM
you can use colours on irc, like setting the background and forground colour makes it work like spoiler tags

or its also possible to script to clients to hide spoilers and stuff, like setting up tags that a client can automatically hide, most irc clients have scripting abilities and shouldn't be too hard to implemtent, then anyone who doesn't want to c the spoilers, can add the script to thier client

for a java webbased client would be slightly harder to achive, but its still might be doable

Osiris-RA
August 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM
Well, I like the chats that some of us have on MSN and yahoo occasionally, but it'd be cool to just talk with a bunch of SG fans that go here who I never talked to. That'd be fun.

SilverRider
August 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM
Well, I like the chats that some of us have on MSN and yahoo occasionally, but it'd be cool to just talk with a bunch of SG fans that go here who I never talked to. That'd be fun.

Amen :D :D

Never a bad idea :p

Agent_Dark
August 2nd, 2005, 02:50 AM
So what do you guys prefer IRC or Java?

There is an irc addon for firefox so firefox users wouldnt have to use a separate program but we would still have to learn the commands

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=16
Ummm... Do you mean a Java IRC client? Its the same thing then ;)

mIRC is what I use.

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 02:51 AM
So what do you guys prefer IRC or Java?

There is an irc addon for firefox so firefox users wouldnt have to use a separate program but we would still have to learn the commands

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=16

Agent_Dark
August 2nd, 2005, 02:53 AM
Oh dear, it seems Gateworld is going a bit screwy again lol :D

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah its a problem with the forum clock

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Ummm... Do you mean a Java IRC client? Its the same thing then ;)

mIRC is what I use.No its a proper client called Chatzilla

kiwigater
August 2nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
How would something like Trillian come into play with that? *clueless about IRC* :o

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
Trillian supports IRC so you could connect using that

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 03:53 AM
I just tried using chatzilla to connect to the isohunt chat room but it got blocked by zonealarm - anybody know what to do?

Agent_Dark
August 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM
I just tried using chatzilla to connect to the isohunt chat room but it got blocked by zonealarm - anybody know what to do?
its probably blocking a port you need. I'd uninstall it. Zonealarm is a POS (along with pretty much every other software firewall... ;))

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 04:31 AM
I am not sure whether is is really ZoneAlarm it may be my routers nat firewall

Should I set up port forwarding and if so which ports?

Agent_Dark
August 2nd, 2005, 04:42 AM
Err, actually, you shouldn't have forward any ports...
I can't see why your routers NAT would be blocking it either. Do any other IRC clients work?

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 04:50 AM
Dont know - never used IRC before

I have emailed the creator of chatzilla he will probably know what the problem is

Cycrow
August 2nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
alot of windows firewalls tend to block outgoing programs from accesing the net, so it could be stopping irc from connecting

a nat firewall however wouldn't block irc, as connecting to an irc server doesn't require any ports to be open or anything, its all done via an outgoing connection, and nat port forwarding is for incomming servers

one thing that irc sometimes does require an incomming connection, is for the use of identd, some servers wont let you connect without it
this would require port 113 to be forwarded

Dcc would also no work without forwarding any ports

maboroshi
August 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
I vote for Java, as it's easy to use and very accessible. The average person will be much more comfortable just clicking on a web link than trying to download and master mIRC. (I personally prefer mIRC, but I'm thinking in terms of ease of access.)

Java-based chat also allows chatting from remote locations (friends or public computers) that might not have mIRC installed.

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
Could it be done so that your gw name shows automatically otherwise people would try impersonating others :)

Cycrow
August 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
alot of java based chats are just front ends for irc anyways
so if u haveirc channels, ppl can choose to use the java based client fro mthe webpage or thier own client

it would be fairly easy to intergrate it into the gateworld site so it uses your login, rather than a nick u specify, but if others are using mirc then they can use what nicks they like

the only way to get round that is to add logins directly into the servers, which means you would need your own servers, rather than reling on some other network, this could take alot more effort

of course u could just make ur own java based chat with is not connected to irc, this isn't too hard to do
i made a basic chat program for java in about an hour, it was actaully a card game, but it had a chat interface for all the players

thorshammer
August 14th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I would absolutly like a chat room! It would be great to chat with other Stargate fans!

Stricken
August 22nd, 2005, 05:10 AM
Its simple really

One For general Chat - No Spoilers
One For Spoilers
One For Thunking/Shipping

IcyNeko
April 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM
So it's on DALnet? Man.. it's been a loong time since I last entered the hallowed grounds of DALnet. :)

Is it stable? I remember leaving due to the instability.

If you guys have problems with stability.. irc.aniverse.net or irc.kukaionline.com are ones I use, and they are very, very stable. :)

Pharaoh Atem
April 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
i think it would be a good idea maybe

a few things that concerns me is spam what and how would this be stopped. because you know it's going to happen.

is it going to be a open chat room or only for members of the forums. i would prefer only users from gateworld that way someone can track down someone if there is a problem.

here's some examples

1, general discussion -both shows

2, just a SG-1 section
spoilers
non spoilers

3, Stargate Atlantis
spoilers
non spoilers

4, possible a off topic area non Stargate discussion just for fun

sg-daniel
April 10th, 2006, 12:50 AM
would love to have one :)

SG-1ssm
April 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Gateworld, I beg you, don't use IRC!!! Use a web-based chat room!

Arctic Goddess
April 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
A chat room would be wonderful. Especially if we can convince a few favorite actors to join in the fun. I'd love to talk to Cliff Simon or Joe Flanigan one on one and live (okay, more like 2000 to 1) in a chat room.

Darren
April 15th, 2006, 09:51 PM
An IRC chat room would probably have a Web interface for those who don't want to bother with a stand-alone program.

PG15
April 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Would it be moderated in anyway?

Ra's mom
April 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
dude, you have no idea how much i want a Stargate Chatroom:indeed:

Darren
April 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
It would be moderated only during official GW functions, like a live chat with a writer or actor, or possibly Friday/Tuesday night post-episode chats.

PG15
April 16th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Whew, that's a load off my mind.

Although, I wouldn't mind a mod peeking into the chat room once in a while (a long while) during normal chatting either.

n3ksus
April 17th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I have a java chat happening, just opened so a lil under populated. It's on a safe IRC Server that i run.

In your IRC Client type:

/server irc.splitreason.org -j #StarGate

Java Web Chat link is here (http://splitreason.org/phpBB2/portal.php?page=sgchat).

If this room picks up, there will be need for channel mods to help with the running of the room and such.

Hope to see people there.

-Ryan

n3ksus
April 17th, 2006, 05:39 PM
If mine is used. I will give the GW mods Server wide mod privs. Or donate a free IRCd account for GW, from my hosting lil business.

-Ryan

Darkstar
April 20th, 2006, 06:49 AM
a spoiler free chatroom sounds like an idea that should have been floating around for some time, considering the many threads that have spoilers that don't warn in some cases a chat room for trivial chatter on all things stargate related would ease off the amount of repatative threads we all see from time to time, i know the search is kind of off topic but lets hope that can get fine tuned on Gateworld 2.0, but we all know it isn't all that perfect, what is but a chat room would get the new comers who ask these questions on the forums their answers by other people in the chat rooms who would be more than happy to ask, different rooms for different topics or areas of SG and BSG etc.... i voted i think it would be one of the best things that could to GW to have chatrooms :D

David
April 20th, 2006, 08:32 AM
We've been toying with the idea of a GW chat room (or two) for some time, with special guests to come in and interact, but we have yet to devote the resources to executing it. The next generation interface of GateWorld will bring a lot of new toys, let alone new looks. If there is enough interest, perhaps it is something we will continue to pursue. But the interest has to be substantial.

Rodan5757
April 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
We've been toying with the idea of a GW chat room (or two) for some time, with special guests to come in and interact, but we have yet to devote the resources to executing it. The next generation interface of GateWorld will bring a lot of new toys, let alone new looks. If there is enough interest, perhaps it is something we will continue to pursue. But the interest has to be substantial.

I used to belong to quite a few Stargate chats, once upon a time. I would love to be able to converse in real time with GateWorlder's. My Opinion probably doesn;t me a whole hell of a lot, but I think the average sentament around is *YES*! The rooms shouldn't necessarily be seperated by category, but you should have the option of joining a *refined* chat with select people. Invites to private chats etc, this is a feature I have seen in many places.

Since java is a client side application. A Java Chat would allow you to allow private chat features to chat rooms without slowing down you GW server. If you need any help in setting any of this up, please let me know and I am happy to offer my assistance.

Please, give us Gaters a place to play...in real time.

n3ksus
April 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
Well like i said in the other posts you GW users can use the java link that i have done, puts you in the SG chatroom. if it picks up and an Official one has been made, then i'll redirect that link to the GW's official one.

Once again

Java Chat: http://splitreason.org/phpBB2/portal.php?page=sgchat

IRC Link: irc.splitreason.org

-Ryan

Darren
April 21st, 2006, 06:35 PM
[On-Topic Ray] Plenty of advertising in this thread, thanks! [/On-Topic Ray]

Ra's mom
April 21st, 2006, 06:57 PM
i dont think it matters. no matter what the topic is, people would talk about other stuff

Viperbabe
April 21st, 2006, 07:17 PM
I'd love to have a chat room for SG. I keep really weird hours and I know there are others out there do too. When you wake up at 3AM and there isn't anything on tv, I hit the computer. It would be great to be able to talk to others that have the same interests that I do.

Viper

Chelle DB
April 30th, 2006, 03:56 AM
I'd love to have a chat room for SG. I keep really weird hours and I know there are others out there do too. When you wake up at 3AM and there isn't anything on tv, I hit the computer. It would be great to be able to talk to others that have the same interests that I do.

Viper

Hey yeah - I agree. I'd love to have a Stargate chat room. Sounds like a great idea. Good luck in getting it going. Looking forward to the day we can all chat!

Trialia
April 30th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Could always just invite yourself into a custom-created chat on AIM.

GateByte
April 30th, 2006, 08:14 AM
A chatroom sounds like a good idea, if it were to remain spoiler-free and all that. But, I think a lot of people just do msn or whatever chats already anyways.

Pharaoh Atem
April 30th, 2006, 08:22 AM
i'm all for the chat room as long as it says seperate from the fourms

the fifth man
May 23rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Sure, I'd occasionally pop into a chat room here on GW.

yaaayoubetcha
May 24th, 2006, 06:29 AM
comming late to the poll, apparently, but I think i'd pop in every now and then.

KeiranFuller
May 24th, 2006, 06:34 AM
there's a neat little program called gabbly chat. All you have to do is type in www.gabbly.com and url for the website. Like this: www.gabbly.com/forum.gateworld.net.

The Ori
May 24th, 2006, 06:45 AM
I'd love a chat room man I would go crazy and take it over. There are so many things to say. I live in England and only know 1 or 2 people who like stargate, but not as much as me. I need to able to chat to sum1 bout the stargate. Yayyyy

buckner
May 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM
alot of the sg text games have chats and they are popular, irc is the way 2 go though way better than flash etc.

scifi_girl
May 25th, 2006, 11:00 AM
i think a chat rooms a good idea

Darkside84
May 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
yes especially if the forums go down for what ever reason

David
May 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'll check with Darren about considering it for integration when we launch GateWorld 2.0. But right now our plates are full with code.