PDA

View Full Version : The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

Wyrminarrd
April 12th, 2014, 05:14 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/12/syfy-the-expanse/

If you can believe it, Syfy may be getting back to its pre-name change roots. A notable addition to its plans for the next year is a new TV series based on a popular series of sci-fi books known as The Expanse. The first book Leviathan Wakes snagged nominations in 2012 for the Hugo Award for Best Novel and Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Set 200 years in the future, it focuses on a ship captain and detective searching for a missing young woman, with a sprawling story and scope that have netted comparisons to both Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We'd be more than pleasantly surprised if it reached anywhere near those heights, but Syfy president Dave Howe is claiming this is the network's "most ambitious series to date."

The books are written under the pseudonym James S.A. Corey by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, who will be among the show's producers. Whatever happens with the show, we'll get the full 10-episode season Syfy ordered based on a script by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men -- sort of, Iron Man) who are the show's writers and executive producers. Whether it is anything like Game of Thrones it's at least a return to Battlestar Galactica-style scifi for the network instead of a new series of Celebrity Ghost Stalker Makeup Artists. Syfy alone is also working on new series 12 Monkeys, Dominion, Ascension and the second season of Helix, which combined with Netflix's Sense8 from the Wachowskis, Amazon's The After from X-Files creator Chris Carter and the return of Heroes on NBC next year make this an interesting time to be a sci-fi fan.

I´m really looking forward to this series. The books have been fantastic and since the authors are involved I´m hoping that the show manages to stay true to the source material.

I´m also glad that Syfy is making a real sci-fi show again :)

mr_kennedy
April 12th, 2014, 05:16 PM
new Sci Fi, I'm in

ajay
April 12th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Sweet! I'm reading the series right now and I was just thinking "I wonder if they've made a movie of this". It's the type of Sci-Fi that really lends itself to the motion picture format IMO. Unashamed space opera set in our own solar system (so no FTL travel yet), full of inter-planetary politics and destroyer class ships and alien boogey monsters. I'm excited!

And yes, about time Syfy moved to better "fiction" than reality TV and wrestling.

VampyreWraith
April 12th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I'm really looking forward to this series as well. I have the first book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

ajay
April 12th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Spoiler for scenes from the second book, Caliban's War

A scene I'm really looking forward to seeing done visually is when the protomolecule on Venus completely dismantles the earth ship sent to monitor it down to it's nuts and bolts :D

Wyrminarrd
April 13th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I do wonder if the show will do "One season = one book" or if this series will have multiple seasons based around the first book.

knowles2
April 13th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I do wonder if the show will do "One season = one book" or if this series will have multiple seasons based around the first book.

Given that there 6 books, one season = one book doesn't fit Syfy rule of cancelling everything after season 4 or 5. Plus there various short stories as well.

Krichton
April 19th, 2014, 02:04 PM
The first book was unbelievably boring. I think I gave up after 50 pages or so.

ajay
April 20th, 2014, 10:32 AM
The first book was unbelievably boring. I think I gave up after 50 pages or so.

It got a lot better.

Wyrminarrd
July 12th, 2014, 04:43 AM
The show has just cast its first major role :)

http://www.blastr.com/2014-7-11/syfys-new-game-thrones-space-drama-expanse-has-found-its-star

I like the choice, Jane is good actor and definitely shows that Syfy is putting some effort into this series.

ajay
July 12th, 2014, 05:06 AM
I see him more as Holden than Miller, but still a good choice. So I wonder now who they will get to play Jim Holden.

Angela V
July 20th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Oh please let SyFy bring lots more sci-fi back! I'm enjoying Defiance greatly. I love Space's Orphan Black and Showcase's Continiuum.

Wyrminarrd
July 21st, 2014, 05:17 AM
"The Expanse" looks like it will be the only "space based" sci-fi series in production. Hopefully it will turn out great and keep going for years :)

Wulfmann
July 22nd, 2014, 01:27 PM
Very cool news

Wulfmann

knowles2
July 22nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
"The Expanse" looks like it will be the only "space based" sci-fi series in production. Hopefully it will turn out great and keep going for years :) Nope, Syfy has the Killjoys coming. They just announce it cast today. An at least one more coming from syfy, so that three in all.
An Joe Mallozzi have just begun prep on his new show, pretty much confirm as new space opera, and most likely base on his Dark Matter comic. Probably a amazon or Netflix funded show reading between the lines, we will learn more during comic con.

After years in in the doldrums, Space opera is coming back with a bang, not just on tv either, games and movies have a couple coming out over the next year as well.

Wyrminarrd
July 22nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Killjoys is a canadian production so I doubt the production values will be all that great. But hopefully it will still be a fun show.

The only other project at Syfy that I´m aware of is a mini-series about a generation ship, but imo mini-series don't really count :)

Never heard about a show from Joe Mallozzi. Has the show been picked up or is it still in the pilot stage?

knowles2
July 24th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Killjoys is a canadian production so I doubt the production values will be all that great. But hopefully it will still be a fun show.

The only other project at Syfy that I´m aware of is a mini-series about a generation ship, but imo mini-series don't really count :)

Never heard about a show from Joe Mallozzi. Has the show been picked up or is it still in the pilot stage?
It been picked up by someone and they have ordered 13 episodes. Joe and gang are currently writing the scripts and talking about space ship designs, costumes. But he isn't allowed to tell us any of the details. http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

They are hoping to announce it all at comic con. My money firmly on the show being base on his dark matter comics.
If I were put my money down on who is ordering the show, it would be Netflix. They been hinting for a while at wanting to do a big sci fi show and been trying to get a new Star trek show launch for a while or at least there lot of talk about them trying to do it, and it like them to put in an order for 13 episodes without seeing a pilot.

Not sure how much space ships there will be in it but Scalzi Redshirts is also getting a tv series made about it.

pakar
December 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM
The Expance was ordered by SYFY

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

Sp!der
January 1st, 2015, 10:12 AM
It sounds interesting - I watched the first and half of the second season of DEFIANCE but I gave it up - for a number of reasons but I really like the tone of The Expanse and with Thomas Jane being cased it sounds that it could be a good thing. We have to wait at least for the first trailer to see how the atmosphere of the show will look like. Fingers are crossed that Bear McCreary will be the composer, I was kind of disappointed that he did not score Ascension but then - he is not able to do everything, is he? :D

pakar
January 15th, 2015, 12:34 PM
And the first trailer!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/01/the-expanse-first-look-at-syfys-new.html

Wyrminarrd
January 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
looks good, though I have to say that the characters don't really look anything like what I imagined them looking like :)

Annoyed
January 15th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Trailers and other promotional materials can be misleading, as we all learned from "Ascension". I'm waiting till after I see what this really is to say anything.

pakar
January 16th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Trailers and other promotional materials can be misleading, as we all learned from "Ascension". I'm waiting till after I see what this really is to say anything.

Unfortunately true

pakar
January 16th, 2015, 02:29 AM
looks good, though I have to say that the characters don't really look anything like what I imagined them looking like :)

I don't mind changes in the characters or even the plot but only if the changes are good, not like what they did with Riverworld. The trailer is really good and intersesting, the series looks like the best thing syfy did in the last.... years. but of course is just a trailer and can be misleading.

knowles2
January 17th, 2015, 03:57 PM
And the first trailer!

The CGI looks awesome, the ships and the space stations and even the planets, sadly the acting looks amateurish, like the stuff you get in fan films.

pakar
March 9th, 2015, 06:23 AM
filming ended
http://www.danielabraham.com/2015/03/08/thats-a-wrap-and-another-thing/

Katch
March 30th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Very excited about this show. Just started reading the books to kill the time until release.

Found this;

http://www.finances.com/company-news/75362-philips-and-syfy-to-light-up-the-expanse.htm

article claims q4 release

pakar
March 30th, 2015, 11:18 AM
article claims q4 release

If syfy has still viewers in october! so they will serve us Defiance made soap opera and the horrible Dominion in summer and we must wait till october for Expanse. Yeah, sure.

ecgordon
March 30th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I don't mind waiting if it gives them enough time to make it better than I fear it might be. Besides, I want to re-read the first book and then read at least the second one before then.

pakar
March 31st, 2015, 04:34 AM
I don't mind waiting if it gives them enough time to make it better than I fear it might be. Besides, I want to re-read the first book and then read at least the second one before then.

I don't thing they will made it better than they allready have done. In a previous post i posted a link which indicates that production ended.
And i'm tired of waiting. I waited almost 2 years for Blood and chrome and it didn't become a series. Then i waited for Defiance only to be dissapointed. And then i waited for Ascension and let's not even talk about that one. Not to mention Killjoys which started production 2 months earlier than the expanse and we know nothing about it's premiere date. In sy fy there is allways something coming but it never arrives.

ecgordon
March 31st, 2015, 08:23 AM
I doubt the complete production has ended, only what is called 'principal photography.' Post-production adds all the special effects, music, etc., plus sometimes there is a need for re-shoots.

pakar
March 31st, 2015, 10:45 AM
The problem is not the production of The Expanse per se. The problem is that syfy continuously promises and it doesn't deliver.When you order a pizza it is important that it will be delivered in time.Syfy found time and money for z nation, ascension, olympous etc but for serious sci fi it just promises.

pakar
April 14th, 2015, 04:51 AM
a new spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2IvmmWemo

Wyrminarrd
April 14th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I´m still looking forward to this.

As much as I like Tom Jane as an actor, he really does not fit my idea of what Detective Miller should look like. Hopefully his acting will manage to make up for it :)

pakar
May 16th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Well that'a a surprise, Expanse is renewed for a second season before it's premiere!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/05/the-expanse-renewed-for-2nd-season.html

garhkal
May 16th, 2015, 05:00 PM
The preview clip looked like Sir Ben Kingsly was there..

ecgordon
May 16th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Well that'a a surprise, Expanse is renewed for a second season before it's premiere!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/05/the-expanse-renewed-for-2nd-season.html
Well, those tweets just mean someone wants to see more scripts, but that is encouraging news. Let's see if Syfy says something about it on Monday.

rkgardner2003
May 19th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Just heard about this one. Looks interesting, I'm not familiar with the books. Lots of familiar faces. I'm happy to see Chad Coleman...

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

ooops, I just saw the original thread, sorry!!!

Katch
May 19th, 2015, 08:55 AM
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzGkPbpCQZ0

December looks like the date and Season 2 is green lit already. Must admit the new trailer is looking good in terms of production value and scale.

Now into the 3rd book on my read through and the source material is definitely good enough to sustain this series.

pakar
May 19th, 2015, 12:42 PM
December, So it will be a hiatus around christmas and new year. 10 episodes and with a hiatus!! Great!

ecgordon
May 19th, 2015, 01:54 PM
If they premiere it the same week as the Childhood's End mini-series it could get off to a good start, and then it might not matter about a short hiatus.

Annoyed
May 19th, 2015, 02:01 PM
December, So it will be a hiatus around christmas and new year. 10 episodes and with a hiatus!! Great!

Taking a break the weeks of Christmas & New Years isn't a bad thing. Those are busy weeks and I can understand them not wanting to air when people would almost certainly DVR it. Remember, Live viewers are more desired by the advertisers. And if the advertisers aren't happy, no one is happy. In addition, with only 10 eps this year, a short break will make the run seem longer than it is.

The real problem is the half-seasons we're being trained to accept.

pakar
May 19th, 2015, 02:48 PM
The real problem is the half-seasons we're being trained to accept.

True. After all it's allready a 5 books series so there is plenty of story to tell. And i think it would be better for them to do a 20 episodes season of The Expanse than filling their schedule with trash like Z nation or Olympus.

Wyrminarrd
May 20th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Its easier to write a great show when you only have to write 10-13 episodes, especially when its a show like the Expense which can't do filler episodes.

I know that I prefer getting fewer episodes if it means the quality of each episode is higher.

pakar
May 20th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Its easier to write a great show when you only have to write 10-13 episodes, especially when its a show like the Expense which can't do filler episodes.

I know that I prefer getting fewer episodes if it means the quality of each episode is higher.

with 5 books of story? and i know many shows of 10-13 episodes which were simply mediocre or bad

ecgordon
May 20th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Game of Thrones seems to be doing pretty good at just 10 episodes a year, same for Orphan Black. The former has more than five books to work with, the latter is an original concept. Either way, I prefer getting the meat of the story without all the filler of a 20-24 episode season. In the case of Expanse, they have a lot of story to adapt for future seasons, so they have no reason to cram too much into the first one.

pakar
May 20th, 2015, 10:48 AM
And Outlander which is also an adaptation of a many books series is also doing fine with a season of 16 episodes which is the adaptation of the first book. and why not make 2 books a season (there would be a midseason hiatus anyway) so you could get the meat of the story. Games of thrones is just one more example of how a channell tries to milk the cow for as many years as possible.

Wyrminarrd
May 20th, 2015, 03:40 PM
The events of the first book would be stretched very thin imo if they tried to make 20+ episodes from the material. Admittedly they aren't doing a 100% faithful adaptation of the book as there is a character showing up in season 1 that doesn't appear in the books until book 2, but I would rather they stick as close as possible to the original story as I think the original authors are better writers than the show runners.

This opinion is largely shaped by my dislike of all the changes that the show runners of "Game of Thrones" have been making to the original story. So far this season they have all pretty much been for the worse.

Ian-S
May 21st, 2015, 09:11 AM
The preview clip looked like Sir Ben Kingsly was there..

If only that were true, it was Jonathan Banks.

pakar
May 21st, 2015, 11:15 AM
The events of the first book would be stretched very thin imo if they tried to make 20+ episodes from the material. Admittedly they aren't doing a 100% faithful adaptation of the book as there is a character showing up in season 1 that doesn't appear in the books until book 2, but I would rather they stick as close as possible to the original story as I think the original authors are better writers than the show runners.

This opinion is largely shaped by my dislike of all the changes that the show runners of "Game of Thrones" have been making to the original story. So far this season they have all pretty much been for the worse.

This discussion started here on this thread but my point was not only for The Expanse. So let's accept, for the moment, that The expanse can not be made in bigger seasons, So why don't make Dark matter in bigger seasons (Mallozzi allready has the plan for season 2) or 12 Monkeys. If they had even one show with a 20 episode season rather than doing Olympus (with ratings constantly under 600k) perhaps they would do better in ratings.

Jeff O'Connor
May 27th, 2015, 07:11 PM
I don't really believe that having lengthier seasons of any show would help with ratings. In fact, I would say the opposite is more likely. Television in 2015 is just not what it used to be. American audiences have indeed been "trained" to embrace 10-13 episode seasons, and while I'd have never said this the last time I made a post on GateWorld (which, for the record, was probably sometime in 2011) I've also come around to the idea. Sure, I wouldn't mind some more 22-episode fare, but that's quite a few weeks to ask modern audiences to keep up with. Quite a few, indeed.

Concentrate the quality writing; keep things focused, well-serialized. That's what audiences want from their genre TV outings these days, and it's easier to achieve with shorter orders. The Expanse's first book is 10 episodes long at best, too, I'd say. So it all works out rather nicely.

Nah, SyFy's ratings have tanked because a great many viewers abandoned the network in frustration. Also, due to the changing TV climate in general. It's a bad combination for the network, but I applaud its heads of programming for going all-in on efforts to recapture the glory days in the coming months and years. I'll be watching, and spreading word wherever I go. I'll of course wish the lineup included more Stargate, but them's the breaks.

EDIT: Phew, I just checked exactly how long it's been since my last post on GateWorld. February 2011... wow.

Annoyed
May 27th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Television in 2015 is just not what it used to be. American audiences have indeed been "trained" to embrace 10-13 episode seasons,

Only by the cable outlets. The large networks still do 22-ish ep. seasons of most of their hit shows. Their biggest use of half seasons is to give a show a trial run. Forever, on ABC was an example of this. It was originally given a 13 episode order, which was increased to a full season several months into its one season run.

Contrast this with cable networks, who only give even their very best shows half-seasons. Suits, Burn Notice (USA), Haven, Continuum (SyFy).

Jeff O'Connor
May 27th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Certainly true, but network ratings have sort of been freefalling for years. I don't think it's coincidental. The 1.5 Nielsen is the new 2.5, and all that jazz. With a few noteworthy exceptions (such as Empire, for a very recent example) everything's kind of down in the ditch, and networks have begun experimenting with shorter-order "event" shows more frequently as a result.

I see your point; there's still some room for a longer order on the television space. And I'm sure it wouldn't be an impossible task to get audiences more comfortable with the idea again. But TV is staving off threats from every corner, and 22-episode orders as the genre programming norm might not help matters.

pakar
May 28th, 2015, 04:23 AM
There is a simple quaestion: what would the syfy viewers prefer? An 18 epeisode season of 12 monkeys or Olympus? yes i know that the 12 monkeys ratings were not so good but Olympus is doing even worst

ecgordon
May 28th, 2015, 04:35 AM
I would prefer another solid 13 episodes of 12 Monkeys, no more than that, then drop Olympus and develop another quality show.

Annoyed
May 28th, 2015, 05:12 AM
I would prefer full seasons (22 - 26 eps) of any veteran series. And I don't think they have to sacrifice quality for length of run.

If they want to "try" a series with a 13 ep. order, I can understand that, but if a series does well enough to survive the trial, it ought to get a full order.

I don't really understand why they do the short orders anyway; if a series makes enough money to keep it on the schedule, wouldn't a longer run make more money?

Annoyed
May 28th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Certainly true, but network ratings have sort of been freefalling for years. I don't think it's coincidental. The 1.5 Nielsen is the new 2.5, and all that jazz. With a few noteworthy exceptions (such as Empire, for a very recent example) everything's kind of down in the ditch, and networks have begun experimenting with shorter-order "event" shows more frequently as a result.

I don't think running full seasons is what is hurting the networks. There are simply many other ways a potential viewer can spend his/her time these days. Cable TV, games, as well as the increasingly busy pace of people's lives.

pakar
May 28th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I would prefer another solid 13 episodes of 12 Monkeys, no more than that, then drop Olympus and develop another quality show.

then they should start another good show immediately after 12 monkeys.Why they didn't? because rather than giving the money in time and, most important, making the decision for another show in time so they could air it after 12 monkeys they greenlighted olympus a show that is by defintion bad (very bad) camp. I have the impression that the current syfy executives doesn't have a clue what good science fiction or fantasy means. Dark matter (or something else) could be greenlighted 3-4 monthw earlier so it could started in april.

Annoyed
May 28th, 2015, 07:46 AM
I have the impression that the current syfy executives doesn't have a clue what good science fiction or fantasy means. Dark matter (or something else) could be greenlighted 3-4 monthw earlier so it could started in april.

Actually, I think they do understand what we want to see; they have done more than a few shows I rate as excellent; Haven, Continuum, 12 Monkeys for example. Although it's not my cup of tea, I'll also credit them with Lost Girl, as it seems to have a very solid following.

The problem is that the potential audience for "Good Science Fiction" isn't that large to begin with, and it's tough to draw enough eyeballs to satisfy the bean counters and advertising sales people. Good Sci Fi is also more expensive to produce.

For a number of years, SyFy tried to expand it's audience numbers by airing crappy but well-rated fare such as fake wrestling, reality shows and the like. That was their stated goal.

They have now stated that they want to return to airing scifi content. And from what I can see, they are trying. I don't see fake wrestling on their Fri. night schedule this week, and they did air 12 Monkeys in what used to be WWE's Friday night timeslot. They have a number of potential good sci fi shows in the pipeline. Granted, Ascension was a dud, most likely 'cause the bean counters nixed a real space show, due to cost. We haven't seen The Expanse or Dark Matter yet, so those are unknowns.

While 12 Monkeys did turn out to be good, it's ratings were rather poor. After the recent few years, I don't think they're going to get stellar ratings from anything they put up, they betrayed their target audience, and it will take time to win the audience back. They seem to realize that too, as they did greenlight a 2nd season for 12Monkeys even with the poor ratings for season 1.

I think we just have to be patient at this point, and wait to see if they are going to walk the walk, in addition to talking the talk.

ecgordon
May 28th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Annoyed, I know you have advocated longer seasons quite a few times. Way back in the 60s shows got 30 or more episodes a season, but they gradually were reduced year by year, down to the average of 22 for the most popular network shows, 24 for a few exceptions. But the expense of that is only justified for the powerhouse shows like NCIS, Big Bang Theory, etc. CBS has even dropped Person of Interest to 13 for what will likely be its last season. The new norm is 13, no matter what you prefer, so you're just going to have to get used to it.

I would much rather have four good 13 episodes shows a year rather than two mediocre filler-filled 26 ep shows.

Wyrminarrd
May 28th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Actually, I think they do understand what we want to see; they have done more than a few shows I rate as excellent; Haven, Continuum, 12 Monkeys for example. Although it's not my cup of tea, I'll also credit them with Lost Girl, as it seems to have a very solid following.

Both Continuum and Lost girl are actually Canadian shows that Syfy just bought airing rights to, they don't produce them.

Annoyed
May 28th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Both Continuum and Lost girl are actually Canadian shows that Syfy just bought airing rights to, they don't produce them.
They still thought enough of them to put them on the schedule. Who knows what they might have put on instead? "Dancing with the WWE Master Chefs"?

pakar
May 28th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Well they gave a 15 episode order for one of their shows. You want to know which? Znation!!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/05/z-nation-season-2-episode-order.html

Great decision Syfy!

mr_kennedy
May 28th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I Like Z Nation so I think that's cool

pakar
July 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM
The creators of The Expanse are talking about it's tv adaptation:

http://www.blastr.com/2015-7-9/exclusive-expanses-james-sa-corey-talk-tv-adaptation-state-sci-fi

pakar
July 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM
An updated promo (look for the 9th july update the others are older)

well this is looking impressive, let's hope that Syfy has done something good for a change.

pakar
July 12th, 2015, 01:26 AM
A very positive first review

http://io9.com/the-expanse-is-the-show-we-ve-been-wanting-since-battle-1717279167?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

ecgordon
July 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I'm not reading the review or any other article about it, nor watching any trailers. I prefer to watch movies and TV as fresh and unspoiled as possible. It is enough for me to know that it is getting positive response, that Abraham and Franck are also impressed, and that Syfy has already ordered a second season.

I just wish it was December already.

VampyreWraith
July 13th, 2015, 02:37 PM
I'm really looking forward to this show a lot. I wish the wait for it wasn't so long.

ecgordon
July 14th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I'm trying to keep my expectations low, but it does seem that Syfy might be serious about getting back into the epic SF arena. I thought 12 Monkeys was quite an improvement over several other recent shows, even though it was obviously low budget. According to Daniel Abraham, Syfy won the bidding war by offering a higher budget than any other network.

I'm looking at the other shows currently running as stop-gap measures, with both Dark Matter and Killjoys being acquisitions from Canadian networks, with little or no contributions from Syfy for the production budgets. They're not even getting a lot of ad revenue from the broadcasts, since their own promos for other shows far outweigh the legitimate commercials.

I've just been reading headlines for articles, not the full write-up, nor watching the latest trailers, but it seems everyone else is impressed so far, including Abraham and Franck. That WETA is doing at least some of the FX is a good sign. The interior studio sets might not be that great, but if the ships, planets and asteroids look good it will go a long way to getting me on board.

On the other hand, if all of this is just posturing and self-aggrandizing promotion and the end result doesn't impress me, and I'll say the same for Childhood's End, this will probably be the last chance I give Syfy. I've been burned too many times, and my cable bill is excessive anyway, I might drop it all together and go internet only.

pakar
July 14th, 2015, 10:31 AM
i'm allready out of syfy. I'm not interested in anything in their current programming and what i'm reading for their next years shows (Hunters, The machine etc) most propably i will not watch any of these. The Expanse is the only thing i'm interested (and Childhood's end but that is a 3 nights event) so if it will be good it will be the only syfy show that i'll watch

bearfax
July 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM
When do I get to nibble this tasty morsel. The last space based series that sated my appetite was Andromeda, though Dark Matter does seem to be a decent chewy piece for snacks. I'm all for devouring another space opera but it better be soon because I'm ravenous and may just grab any take a way SciFi if I have to wait too long...and that will just give me indigestion and a sour disposition...and we dont want that do we.

So when does the banquet begin?

ecgordon
July 14th, 2015, 07:53 PM
All they're saying now is December, no specific date yet.

bearfax
July 14th, 2015, 09:07 PM
What year bah humbug?

pakar
July 15th, 2015, 02:09 AM
What year bah humbug?

This year!

ecgordon
July 15th, 2015, 07:37 AM
December, 2376, the year the story is set in. By that time everything will be shot on location.

pakar
July 31st, 2015, 01:53 AM
Virtual reality tour of the Canterbury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVY2UzGsQ30&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately only for U.S. viewers

pakar
August 12th, 2015, 12:55 PM
A two nights premiere on December 14th and 15th

https://www.facebook.com/ExpanseSyfy?fref=nf

VampyreWraith
August 12th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Nice to finally get a premiere date for this! :)

Wyrminarrd
August 12th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Strange time to premiere a series...

ecgordon
August 12th, 2015, 07:44 PM
Normally that would be true, but most other networks will be in repeat mode at that time, and tying it to the premiere of Childhood's End should be good for both.

pakar
August 14th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Normally that would be true, but most other networks will be in repeat mode at that time, and tying it to the premiere of Childhood's End should be good for both.

Perhaps but airing only two episodes and then going into a two weeks break before the viewers can decide if the show is worth watching (and you can't decide that on 2 episodes except if it is very bad) doesn't look like a wise decision.
As for the tying with Childhood's end i think it will help more childhood's end (since many viewers thse days don't seem to know it!) than The Expanse.

pakar
August 14th, 2015, 05:03 AM

Perhaps but airing only two episodes and then going into a two weeks break before the viewers can decide if the show is worth watching (and you can't decide that on 2 episodes except if it is very bad) doesn't look like a wise decision.
As for the tying with Childhood's end i think it will help more childhood's end (since many viewers these days don't seem to know it!) than The Expanse.

Katch
October 9th, 2015, 02:37 AM
More on this show.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/10/09/the-expanse-crashes-into-nycc-2015

N7OperativeAlpha
October 13th, 2015, 10:50 PM
http://geekritique.net/2015/10/09/the-expanse-pilot-episode-review/

It has a 5 million per episode budget. Can good space opera be done on this budget?

ecgordon
October 14th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Considering Farscape, BSG, and even Firefly were produced for roughly 2 million per ep, I don't see the problem. Sure, inflation is a factor, but CGI technology has also increased so that effects can be done very well for less than before. Plus, most of the CGI will be able to be reused throughout the series, figured into the up-front costs of the pilot and not in the per episode budget.

EDIT: I just remembered that $5 million was the budget for the theatrical feature Moon, directed by Duncan Jones and starring Sam Rockwell. That looked pretty good to me.

Ian-S
October 14th, 2015, 08:56 AM
More is sometimes less, i.e. the higher the budget, the crappier the content, looking at you Avatar...

knowles2
October 18th, 2015, 07:39 AM
http://geekritique.net/2015/10/09/the-expanse-pilot-episode-review/

It has a 5 million per episode budget. Can good space opera be done on this budget?

Yes. But that a lot of money to spend on a program for Syfy. Put into perspective, Games of Thrones have the same kind of per episode budget, sometimes it goes into 6/7 million on a episode, Expanse has the advantage of not having to do nearly as many location shots. It should be fairly easy to reuse cg footage. Of cause I'm sure those will be counter by the cost of doing fairly expensive to do zero g scenes.

LtColCarter
October 20th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Hmmm...this seems intriguing. I'm looking forward to it coming out. :D

ecgordon
November 3rd, 2015, 04:12 PM
Now we only have to wait three weeks.

http://www.nbcumv.com/news/syfy-debut-expanse-vod-tv-everywhere-and-digital-platforms-monday-november-23

Wyrminarrd
November 4th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Strange decision imo, but I guess less waiting is a good thing for me :)

ecgordon
November 4th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Same reason other networks have released premieres online ahead of time. To get reviews on websites and social media, to create some buzz for the show.

Katch
November 9th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Just finished reading the last book that's been published so far. I really hope this is done well, does well and gets to explore the source material properly.

Not sure what to read now... next book not out till June/July

MediaSavant
November 9th, 2015, 12:11 PM
(Long time since I've visited this site) The first episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and NY Comic Con. I saw it both times. There was some tweaking between them. I haven't read the books, but a lot of people at the screenings had and they were pleased.

I really liked it. It's a real attempt to do space right. My one fear is that people accustomed to "artificial gravity" space shows aren't going to dig it.

Katch
November 10th, 2015, 02:09 AM
(Long time since I've visited this site) The first episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and NY Comic Con. I saw it both times. There was some tweaking between them. I haven't read the books, but a lot of people at the screenings had and they were pleased.

I really liked it. It's a real attempt to do space right. My one fear is that people accustomed to "artificial gravity" space shows aren't going to dig it.

Hopefully things like Gravity, The Martian, Interstellar and Extant have somewhat prepared scifi audiences for zero-g and spin g in productions. But I do agree, this show could fail miserably if the zero-g / low-g scenes aren't pulled off well. Having read all the source material now, there will be no getting away from a lot of zero-g scenes that will require good choreography and SFX

ecgordon
November 22nd, 2015, 11:02 AM
Don't forget. You can see the pilot episode tonight on various streaming platforms (http://www.nbcumv.com/news/syfy-debut-expanse-vod-tv-everywhere-and-digital-platforms-monday-november-23). Starting at 12:10AM EST, and according to several tweets and FB posts, you can adjust that for whatever time zone you are in. If that is correct, I can watch at 11:01PM. It is geo-locked to the US (and maybe Canada, not sure), but I'll bet there are those who know how to get around that.

ecgordon
November 23rd, 2015, 07:11 AM
I watched it on YouTube last night, since that was the link several of the production staff posted on Twitter, but it's been taken down for some reason. I haven't taken the time to check all the other venues that are supposed to be providing it except for Hulu (not there last time I checked) and Amazon (it's listed, but at $1.99). But you can watch in on syfy.com.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/101-dulcinea

I need to watch it again before giving my opinion, although it is mostly positive. They crammed a lot of story into this pilot, and I'm not sure it was a good idea to end it the way they did, rather than let that event be in the second episode.

ecgordon
November 23rd, 2015, 08:09 AM
Several people have said that his link works worldwide - https://www.facebook.com/ExpanseSyfy/videos/650663878405119/?hc_location=ufi

Wyrminarrd
November 23rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
The series looks good but I´m not sold on the casting yet.

Gen. Chris
November 24th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Out of curiosity, who do you not like that was cast?

Never read the books so it doesn't matter to me.

Wyrminarrd
November 24th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Its not really that I don't like them, they just don't match up to my idea of how they should look like. I know part of the problem is that some characters like Naomi are almost impossible to cast right but I guess I just wished that they had cast smaller actors for Earthers and taller ones for Belters and then said they were all taller than in real life :)

To get really nit picky I thought that the guy who is playing Amos wasn't brutish enough but to be fair we hardly saw him in this episode so I don't know for sure.

Alex should have been a bit older.

Also it could be that I simply over looked the description of Naomi in the book where they mention her skin color but I've always pictured her as white so that's a bit jarring, also her hair (which is often mention in the books) isn't right.

Miller is probably the biggest miss casting imo (though Tom Jane is an actor I like). I always saw Miller as someone who was down beaten and uncool, but the show seems to be trying to make him cool which really doesn't fit. So this may be more of a complaint about writing than about casting or acting.

None of these complaints are about the actors acting abilities and hopefully they will manage to win me over. I know that I had similar thoughts about the cast of Game of Thrones and there for the most part the actors are now how I see the characters.

I´ll also say that I wish that they were staying a bit closer to the source material as some of the changes they made are not for the better imo.

ecgordon
November 24th, 2015, 08:32 PM
The only one that seems off is Wes Chatham as Amos Burton, not that he's a bad actor or anything, I think I've only seen him in a small part in Mockingjay Part 1, but based on the back-story for the character he seems much too young. He should be at least ten years older, be bigger, and have a low-voice and gruff exterior. While reading the books I always visualized Domenick Lombardozzi, who played Herc on HBO's The Wire.

After checking, Chatham was in The Help, but I don't remember him and didn't care for that movie. Plus he's only 2 1/2 years younger than Lombardozzi.

ecgordon
November 24th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Naomi is part black, part Asian heritage of some sort, definitely dark complexion.

I think everything is very close to the source material, with the only exception being Avasarala in the first season whereas she didn't appear until the second book. But I am sure that was so that they could have an Earth presence on the show, as opposed to it being only in the Belt and beyond in the first book.

Wyrminarrd
November 25th, 2015, 03:39 AM
Ok, I thought that was my bad. I guess over the years I forgot that detail :o

knowles2
November 27th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Slow opening episode.

Couldn't understand some of the dialogue either seem bit muzzle.

Looking forward to seeing where it going.

CGI probably the best I seen on syfy todate. I was kinda expecting more for 5 million an episode.

ecgordon
November 27th, 2015, 04:07 PM
I'll bet the dialogue you missed was the "Belter Creole" slang used on Ceres, mainly by Detective Miller, the guy he threatened about the bad air filters, and the prostitute. In a couple of cases Miller explained what was meant to his partner Havelock, the other times it could possibly be guessed from the context of the scene.

dosed150
November 30th, 2015, 12:26 PM
quite looking forward to seeing more of this now, have you noticed how in a lot of sci fi mars and earth dont seem to get along, wonder why its become a common theme

Morbo
November 30th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Didn't catch the pilot streaming, but the wife and I are looking forward to the premiere of this and of Childhood's End (which I remember reading in high school).

Still irked about Defiance.

ecgordon
November 30th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Didn't catch the pilot streaming, but the wife and I are looking forward to the premiere of this and of Childhood's End (which I remember reading in high school).

Still irked about Defiance.
The pilot is still available at syfy.com, and you don't have to sign in to a cable account to watch it. It's also on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZeQD1Vf2s - and the Wikia - http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/The_Expanse_Wiki

I've got all three of those running right now in different windows. You do need to be in the US or know how to get around geo-locking.

Cluas
December 10th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Very realistic, compared to Dark Matter and Killjoys. Not that i think it is a bad thing. I like the CGI too

ecgordon
December 16th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Not sure how long it will last, but you can now watch the first four episodes at http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes - no cable/satellite login required - and for those who do have Syfy in their cable package, it should also be On Demand.

I watched 3 & 4 last night, and the pace has picked up considerably, but I'm still not sure they can complete the first book's story arc this season. Everyone connected to the show continues to dodge that question.

One particular thing happened that surprised (and angered) me. I won't spoil it, but anyone who has read Cibola Burn will know what I mean when they see it. Then they disappointed me later when they seemed to reverse that action, and it seemed totally illogical and preposterous to do so.

VampyreWraith
December 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I've watched up to episode 4 and I really like it so far.

Gen. Chris
December 16th, 2015, 04:32 PM
I will watch episode 4 sometime tonight probably. Episode 3 was fantastic.

Syfy has really stepped up. I hope there is a second season because so far I'm digging it.

Katch
December 17th, 2015, 01:14 AM
NO SPOILERS

So, I read through all the books when I heard about this show and I really enjoyed them.

My thoughts on the show so far;

Episode 1 was a bit dense for my liking - had I not read the books it may have been a massive WTF. But in terms of production value - wow.

I've just seen Episode 2 and my awe at the production value continues. It is so good to see some real money being spent on this show.

I do agree that the audio mastering feels a little off (and no - not just when they're mumbling belter creole). Feels like they could really do with pushing the voice track up a notch across the board.

Looking forward to Episode 3 and 4 this weekend (thanks Comcast leak)

Ian-S
December 20th, 2015, 04:47 AM
I will watch episode 4 sometime tonight probably. Episode 3 was fantastic.

Syfy has really stepped up. I hope there is a second season because so far I'm digging it.

I read something earlier this year that indicated this had already got a 2 season (or second season) order, it could have been wrong, or someone adding 2+2 and getting 5, it was one of those cancel/renewal type sites.

I've not read the books and the first episode was a bit 'what is going on here?' But the general story is beginning to evolve I wasn't a fan initially but the series is growing on me.

ecgordon
December 20th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Technically speaking, I don't think it has officially been given a second season, but Syfy did ask for more scripts, so it is obvious they liked what they had already seen. It's getting a lot of positive buzz, and I don't think they are worried too much about ratings at this point, since they've made it readily available online and On Demand so far, so another season seems very likely.

mr_kennedy
December 20th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Episode 4 was amazing :D i really like this series now

Also i can't help but feel reminded of the citidel from mass effect when on ceres station, which makes me smile :D

Last of all, i love the effects on this show, Dark Matter should take note for season 2

Gen. Chris
December 22nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
Last of all, i love the effects on this show, Dark Matter should take note for season 2

I think that is a bit unfair since Dark Matter (and Killjoys, for that matter) have only a fraction of the budget. That sequence in The Expanse with

The doctor's headless body gently losing blood through the vacuum and then forming into a ball when the vacuum is closed

was easily more impressive than most of the CG used on nearly all other Syfy projects.

mr_kennedy
December 22nd, 2015, 08:33 PM
I think that is a bit unfair since Dark Matter (and Killjoys, for that matter) have only a fraction of the budget. That sequence in The Expanse with

The doctor's headless body gently losing blood through the vacuum and then forming into a ball when the vacuum is closed

was easily more impressive than most of the CG used on nearly all other Syfy projects.

that is merely one example of this shows impressive use of CGI (especially in ep4), i know that was abit unfair BUT these are the same guys behind STARGATE, we should expect better from them :) im not saying i didnt like Dark Matter i did, however the low effects kinda bugged me at times

retiredat44
December 22nd, 2015, 09:42 PM
so far, it's confusing dark, and runs all over with a theme that gets lost in different stories. I don't care for it, will try to understand the show, but I like going on a ride, not having to think...

Baron Of Hell
December 22nd, 2015, 09:48 PM
Hmmm Stargate looked pretty low budget to me. I could be remembering wrong but it didn't seem to be doing anything better than Dark Matter or Kill Joys.

Anyway The Expanse looks like it has a bigger budget than all three put together.

Gen. Chris
December 22nd, 2015, 10:07 PM
Hmmm Stargate looked pretty low budget to me. I could be remembering wrong but it didn't seem to be doing anything better than Dark Matter or Kill Joys.

Anyway The Expanse looks like it has a bigger budget than all three put together.

Stargate Universe being the exception.

For its time though all the Stargate's had good CG.

Again, Dark Matter is clearly low budget. You can just tell from the sets, so I don't expect much out of its CG. Personally I worry the CG and budget of the Expanse will make it difficult for Syfy to keep renewing it. I can certainly hope though.

ecgordon
December 23rd, 2015, 06:06 AM
I don't think I'll ever understand people who don't want to think about the show they're watching or book they're reading.

ClockworkNebari
December 25th, 2015, 04:58 AM
I have minimum experience with this Expanse 'concept' I know more about other scifi like Marvel, Batman movies, Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Stargate etc I literally leafed through a friends book flipping pages so I did not know what to expect. I did watch some eps not knowing what to expect, some elements of this show are good, other elements leave me dissapointed. The acting? I'm not sure but I feel this show has possibly been miscast? Some people in the series are good, the guy playing Kamal is good some nice moments, the Burton actor is cool and reminds me of the actor playing ChiefTyrol in Battlestar 2003, Detective Miller is very strong and easily the best actor of this series the girl playing off him Octavia a female cop is also very strong. The fx and art I expected to see more Asteroids and more Mars in the series, you know like something alien in a scifi planet or like the movie from Paul Verhoeven with Arnold Schwarzenegger...more science fiction more red planet? some of the scifi isn't really what I expected. The ships do look great and I think some of the set designs really work. Not sure of what's going on with the pace, or maybe there is too much religion, or the politics develops wrong or the story? I don't know maybe I was expecting more darkness and mystery like Dredd/2000 AD a Tales from the Crypt comic or Event Horizon or Gattaca or Sunshine...I will give this series another go but I may give up soon...its good but not great

ecgordon
December 27th, 2015, 04:25 PM
This is an entirely different story than anything else you mentioned. You shouldn't anticipate seeing things simply because you expect them based on what has happened in other movies/TV shows/books. If we do get any scenes on Mars it won't be this season, if they stay close to the books, but maybe next season. Then again, Avasarala, the UN executive, didn't appear until the second book, so who knows? As far as aliens, yes and no, but also completely different than anything you've ever seen before.

ClockworkNebari
December 28th, 2015, 01:06 AM
For me this show has problems, I can not tell you exactly what those problems are I'm normally not a big reader of scifi and I have not read the books. One problem is maybe the story, why should this show stay close to its scifi books? Are these books exceptional in a way? Would they rank above other top 10 books of all time, would they even rank against a top 30 scifi novels? and would it be wiser to allow the show more freedom?
I also have a problem with the acting ability, the Expanse as I watch it has possibly been miscast. I think on other shows like the Wire or Game of Thrones the actors are strong enough to carry a show, they are strong enough to act out a linear story. Other scifi like Trek or Stargate had the option of episodic fillers, you could bring 'guest actors' on a show but the Expanse with a linear story does not seem to have this option. Tv shows like Trek and Stargate had acting talent, but they always were able to write filler episodes and have some good actors guest on their shows. I think the Expanse has good actors but is missing good writing or is missing acting talent. The TV today does have very strong actors and actresses Zachary Quinto, Grace Park, Steven Yeun, Elodie Yung, Kiefer Sutherland, Marton Csokas, Gina Torres, Sarah Bolger, Cote de Pablo, Rosario Dawson, Chris Pratt and many, many other tv actors have the strength to carry a show. While I was watching the Expanse I thought to myself 'oh s*** how long, how many hours will I have to watch some of these people'....not all is bad the show has some very good talent but telling its linear story with these scripts and these actors is going to be difficult.

Gen. Chris
December 28th, 2015, 10:49 AM
The show already seems to be nearly prohibitively expensive, so why would we need filler? Filler is good for some shows like Stargate but for a show like this it would be a waste of their budget.

I have not read the books (yet) but I'd rather have them stick as close to the source material as possible so we don't end up with a similar situation like what Game of Thrones had to do in the most recent season (cramming books four and five together...it worked but barely)

ecgordon
December 28th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I've read the first four books, one and four being the best so far, but I've heard great things about #5. One thing the producers and writers have not said is whether the first season will complete the story arc of the first book. If they do, I don't see how they can avoid leaving some things out, especially since Avasarala wasn't in the first book at all. I've seen the first four episodes (multiple times), and it's hard for me to believe they can do it in just six more eps. I have an advantage of knowing a lot from the start, but repeat viewings have brought to light some subtle things I didn't notice the first time. I know they have a lot of great story to draw on, and there are characters in later books I really want to see on screen, so forgive me if you think I'm trying to over-sell the show. I just want it to succeed so we get those later stories and characters.

For those whose comments have been either skeptical or mostly negative, I'd like to ask if you've ever fallen in love with a show very quickly, within the first four episodes? Nearly the first season of ST:TNG was weak, and most shows take their time establishing their premise and developing characters. ClockworkNebari has mentioned The Wire, so I know he can appreciate a well-acted, well-written show. That and Firefly are among the very few I knew right away were special. I think this one has the potential to be as good as anything Syfy has offered before.

TOIVA
December 28th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Finally gotten around to watching the first four eps (that I considered as all we'll get - I confused it with Childhood's End that is merely a miniseries). I must say I'm impressed.

I'm happy the show tries to portray space a bit more realistically than the typical Sci-fi and I guess it succeeds, most of the time. I just had a bit trouble believing humans (albeit not necessarily used to Earth atmosphere) would survive the wildly changing air pressures around them during some of the scenes.

As far as story goes, I don't really have criticisms either. Maybe except the MCNS Donnager action:
Obviously at the start of the battle, Donnager isn't really feeling any threat. Then they discover the assailants aren't just fools and the Donnager has quite some hard work to do to defend itself. And then somehow, abruptly, we're in a situation where the Donnager is losing and everyone finds the situation hopeless. And to top it off, the 1 or 2 surviving attacking ships (of 6 at the start of the battle) launch boarding parties. How people from such small vessels could so easily overrun a huge warship is hard to fathom - and they were apparently controlling most of the Donnager at the end.
That just felt like a disconnect. But maybe a review of the episodes will make more sense.

knowles2
December 29th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Just watch episode 3 and 4 an thought they were better than 2 and 1. I'm starting to get into this show.

Finally gotten around to watching the first four eps (that I considered as all we'll get - I confused it with Childhood's End that is merely a miniseries). I must say I'm impressed.

I'm happy the show tries to portray space a bit more realistically than the typical Sci-fi and I guess it succeeds, most of the time. I just had a bit trouble believing humans (albeit not necessarily used to Earth atmosphere) would survive the wildly changing air pressures around them during some of the scenes.

As far as story goes, I don't really have criticisms either. Maybe except the MCNS Donnager action:
Obviously at the start of the battle, Donnager isn't really feeling any threat. Then they discover the assailants aren't just fools and the Donnager has quite some hard work to do to defend itself. And then somehow, abruptly, we're in a situation where the Donnager is losing and everyone finds the situation hopeless. And to top it off, the 1 or 2 surviving attacking ships (of 6 at the start of the battle) launch boarding parties. How people from such small vessels could so easily overrun a huge warship is hard to fathom - and they were apparently controlling most of the Donnager at the end.
That just felt like a disconnect. But maybe a review of the episodes will make more sense.

I think that explains by the Mars captain, she thought nothing the Solar system could match her ship capability and no one was better at engineering that Mars seem to be the genuine feeling amongst martians. That arrogant caught her off guard.

I think these new vessels were also more advanced than the Donnager, it was stated by the Donnager crew that they never seen rail guns on such small ships before. They also seem to have hit the Donnager engines and power systems Not sure about their size compare to the Donnager, we didn't see both this group of vessels and the Donnager in the same scene together. The Donnager seem to have huge amount of space for shuttlebay and judging the ship personnel numbers vs personnel numbers is a bit difficult. We saw the stealth ships launch pods that attach to the Donnager hull all over the place.

We also only saw one of the attacking ships destroyed.

I'm intrigue about that cult building themselves a ship to take themselves to another star system. And what the OPA has really got plan for her when they borrow her and what ever other vessels they have been building on the side lines,

Morbo
December 29th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I was ready to call it quits after the first 2 episodes, because it was so confusing to follow - there were so many characters and storylines being thrown at you all at once with zero context or background. Thankfully the next few episodes were a little easier to follow - kind of. I still have no idea what The Punisher is doing. The story out on the ships is much more interesting thus far.

TOIVA
December 29th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Hmm, I had an impression the attacking vessels were very small while the Donnager was monstrously huge (which ain't saying much about fighting capability, sure, but small can hold only so many people). And I also thought almost all of the attacking vessels were destroyed by the Donnager.

If you got a different idea from the episode, knowles2, it might really be that I missed things or were imagining things. A rewatch is a must now.

poundpuppy29
December 30th, 2015, 06:21 PM
interesting reviews I will buy an ep to see if I like it and buy the season on amazon if I like it that means I will have to alter my sig again

ecgordon
December 30th, 2015, 08:16 PM
interesting reviews I will buy an ep to see if I like it and buy the season on amazon if I like it that means I will have to alter my sig again
You can watch it for free at syfy.com, the first four episodes at least, but I'm not sure how long they will be available.

poundpuppy29
December 30th, 2015, 08:46 PM
You can watch it for free at syfy.com, the first four episodes at least, but I'm not sure how long they will be available.

good to know thanks

ClockworkNebari
December 31st, 2015, 07:15 AM
I don't really get the show and don't understand what its books has to offer for me its a little dull. Maybe its wrote badly? Some people in the series are good but others are not carrying the show, some of the main performances do not lift the show and that is a bad sign. I like the space cop, that idea is rarely explored in space maybe last seen in Blade Runner or maybe Outlander? I think the cop story is interesting and the characters and actors around Detective Miller are good, Kamal and the Burton actor is also cool but I don't care much for the main cast.
I think a lot of audiences will ask themselves why do we need another show on space wars? We had Enders game almost flop, Wing Commander in the 90s didn't do so well so why another Forever space military War? You would think with wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya....and everywhere else people might get tried of social commentary on scifi tv...at least about another war anyways.
On the plus side I think some of the minor actors are doing very well, I like the space cop story its like a remake of a 1940s Detective movie and we have not seen a cool space cop since Blade Runner in my mind anyways. The guy in the interview scene was great, I liked what that actor did with his performace, he had these little balls he eats and his eyes become computer cameras...I liked his interrogation on the crew trying to see if they were smugglers, terrorists, criminals, part of a foreign alien group...I liked this actors scene, I mean some of the political/social stuff is interesting but the actor doing the interogation was great. Overall it can be a good show but it should be much better.

VampyreWraith
December 31st, 2015, 08:34 AM
I don't think the show is badly written (neither are the books, IMO, though I've only read the first one). I think it's been very well written (for the most part) so far. I thought Episode 1 was a good introduction, episode 2 was a little slow, but episode 3 was better, and episode 4 was great. I like the actors (and how they play their characters), for the most part, anyway, (I'm not the biggest fan of the guy who plays Holden, but I think he'll get better or I'll get used to him with time ). The visuals are great. Overall, I'm really loving this show so far.

I even got my 15 year old son to watch it and he loved it too; he can't wait for the next episode to come out (and neither can I). :)

VampyreWraith
December 31st, 2015, 11:47 AM
Yay! It's been renewed for a second season! :)

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-expanse-renewed-season-2-syfy-1201674459/

ecgordon
December 31st, 2015, 12:58 PM
I didn't really have any doubt, but it's good to get confirmation this early.

mr_kennedy
December 31st, 2015, 01:35 PM
good news :D

ClockworkNebari
December 31st, 2015, 11:02 PM
It gets better, I think the last episode four is very good. Look back at the series I though Miller is a much more interesting character I wouldn't mind if the TV show diverges from this book format and keeps Miller in the lead at least through the first two seasons, I think the crew have potential but I wasn't warm to them all as characters and found the story isn't gelling as a whole yet. The final episode four has some great actions and drama, the big battle with the mystery ship was great but looking back at the show as a whole it all feels a little disjointed at the moment. The Earth political scenes feel the weakest for me its just not working for whatever reason. I like the space cop story its like a remake of a 1940s Detective movie, the scifi world they've built around Tom Jane's character is really flowing with creativity and idea ideas that it could sustain a series all it's own, I turned off a bit when they move away from the space Detective story. It gets much better on the last episode, space ship, drama, action, I have really enjoyed watching the fourth episode good entertainment.

ecgordon
January 1st, 2016, 07:40 AM
I certainly don't think the series is perfect, but I do like it more than some other people obviously. I think the main problem is too much story crammed into the limited time of 42 minutes per episode, plus having to track three different story lines, whereas in the first book it was just two, the detective story on Ceres and the action on the Canterbury and the Donnager, and beyond. Not only have they added the Earth scenes, they've also introduced Fred Johnson and Tycho Station earlier than in the book. I just checked the first book, Leviathan Wakes. The point we are in the show occurs about one-third of the way into Chapter 15 (out of 55, not counting the short prologue and epilogue). My Kindle says that is 14% into the novel. But we're 40% through the first season of ten episodes.

I don't see any way they'll be able to make it even halfway through the first book in the time we have remaining, so it is good we'll get another season, thirteen episodes next time. That way Thomas Jane will continue to be a major presence on the show through Season 2 at least. He does appear through book four, but not as prominently, and in an entirely different capacity. Won't say more on that to avoid spoilers.

Wyrminarrd
January 1st, 2016, 02:25 PM
From the way they were talking early in the production phase I got the feeling that they were going to stretch the plot of the first book into multiple seasons.

mr_kennedy
January 2nd, 2016, 02:54 AM
So with new categories like DC Legends of Tomorrow, & The Shanarra Chronicles, can we get a section for The Expanse? its already been renewed for a 2nd season

ecgordon
January 2nd, 2016, 07:26 AM
So with new categories like DC Legends of Tomorrow, & The Shanarra Chronicles, can we get a section for The Expanse? its already been renewed for a 2nd season
I second that nomination.

VampyreWraith
January 2nd, 2016, 08:15 AM
Yeah, a section for this would be nice, especially since it's already been renewed for a second season.

GateWorld
January 2nd, 2016, 02:25 PM
<em>The Expanse</em> section on the way!

http://forum.gateworld.net/forums/359-The-Expanse

VampyreWraith
January 2nd, 2016, 03:13 PM
Thank you! :D

mr_kennedy
January 2nd, 2016, 03:30 PM

ecgordon
January 3rd, 2016, 08:41 AM
Thank you for the special forum. I had been anticipating this show ever since it was announced because I had already read the first two books by that time. I've read four now, plus the five shorter stories that have been published.

I've been thinking ahead, based on episode titles, and the pace of the story so far. It looks like we may only get about halfway through the first book's story this year, up to where Holden and Miller's paths cross on the asteroid Eros, and the discovery of what happened to Julie Mao, and why.

Annoyed
January 3rd, 2016, 01:52 PM
Watched eps 1 -3 today.. Seems to be an interesting show, certainly worth watching. It is nice to see actual space-based sci fi on TV.

But one thing does not please me. Yet another sci fi show about a dysfunctional human-based civilization, with elements of that one society fighting with other elements of humanity. These seem to be all that anyone wants to make anymore.

Why can't they get into exploration? I'd much rather see a show about a group of humans exploring the galaxy or even the stars in our own local corner of it.

ecgordon
January 3rd, 2016, 07:05 PM
What, too realistic for you? Maybe when Earth governments and people actually start cooperating instead of fighting we'll see more positive SF.

N7OperativeAlpha
January 3rd, 2016, 11:32 PM
Watched eps 1 -3 today.. Seems to be an interesting show, certainly worth watching. It is nice to see actual space-based sci fi on TV.

But one thing does not please me. Yet another sci fi show about a dysfunctional human-based civilization, with elements of that one society fighting with other elements of humanity. These seem to be all that anyone wants to make anymore.

Why can't they get into exploration? I'd much rather see a show about a group of humans exploring the galaxy or even the stars in our own local corner of it.

Heard of Mass Effect Andromeda? Exploration will be a focus in that game.

I would love a Mass Effect TV show but imagine how much money it would it take to make such a show?

pjt
January 4th, 2016, 06:10 AM
For me this show has problems, I can not tell you exactly what those problems are I'm normally not a big reader of scifi and I have not read the books. One problem is maybe the story, why should this show stay close to its scifi books? Are these books exceptional in a way? Would they rank above other top 10 books of all time, would they even rank against a top 30 scifi novels? and would it be wiser to allow the show more freedom?

I don't know how can anyone measure quality, it's more up to taste, either you like it or you not. But the first novel has been nominated for the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel and the 2012 Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. And the third novel won the 2014 Locus Award. So yeah, one might assume they'll stick to the novels.

I'm towards the end of the first novel, and I really like it. I've already bought the second novel, but it's not a fast read, those 500+ pages took me longer than usual. But it's hard to put down, for sure.

Katch
January 7th, 2016, 03:18 AM

Having read the source material, I say give it time!

Gen. Chris
January 8th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Having read the source material, I say give it time!

Having not read the source material, I agree. The book it is based on is titled "Leviathan Wakes" and that is the name of the finale. So I gotta ask...what the hell is Leviathan? :P

So I gotta keep watching to find out.

ecgordon
January 10th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I'm surprised by the limited number of responses here, and on the individual episode threads. Are not enough people watching, or do most not like it, or what? I'm seeing a lot of activity on Twitter and Facebook, so I suppose it's just a matter of people not using message boards much these days. I know the broadcast ratings have been low, but that's to be expected for the time of year it premiered, plus the easy access online, and the fact Syfy has alienated a lot of viewers over the years. For anyone who doesn't have cable, or don't have Syfy in their channel package, all five episodes are available at syfy.com (http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes), and I'm assuming that will continue throughout the season. At first, the pilot didn't include any commercials, but now you have to put up with that on all of them.

ecgordon
January 15th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Season One will be out on DVD & Blu-Ray/Digital on April 5.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Expanse-Season-1/21906

Annoyed
January 15th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I'm quite on the fence with this.
Twice now, I've started this week's ( 1/12/16 ) episode, and both time I just couldn't keep my attention focused on it. Still haven't finished it.

TOIVA
January 18th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Twice now, I've started this week's ( 1/12/16 ) episode, and both time I just couldn't keep my attention focused on it. Still haven't finished it.

I'm rewatching the episodes precisely because I find the first four were a lot better. Soon I'll find out. So far what I know is that those first four episodes were great.

VampyreWraith
January 18th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Season One will be out on DVD & Blu-Ray/Digital on April 5.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Expanse-Season-1/21906

That's another Blu-ray that I need to add to my must buy list.

Perelandra
January 20th, 2016, 09:15 AM
This and Twelve Monkeys are the two best shows on SyFy right now IMO.
I'm really liking this show-never read the books.
Liking the politics(seem realistic to me) the special effects, ect

Perelandra
January 20th, 2016, 09:17 AM

never read the books but I think I read somewhere that later on in the books they do get outside the solar system maybe that will get reflected in the show if there are more than one or two seasons.

EaglesPDX
January 20th, 2016, 10:44 AM
But one thing does not please me. Yet another sci fi show about a dysfunctional human-based civilization, with elements of that one society fighting with other elements of humanity. These seem to be all that anyone wants to make anymore. Why can't they get into exploration? I'd much rather see a show about a group of humans exploring the galaxy or even the stars in our own local corner of it.

Because this is set 200 years in the future and creates a realistic projection of what that development would really look like. What would be the economic basis to support that kind of development. What would be the political results. The physiological and social results. It's a gritty, realistic not so distant very possible future and that is its draw.

TOIVA
January 23rd, 2016, 08:39 PM

I'm rewatching the episodes precisely because I find the first four were a lot better. Soon I'll find out. So far what I know is that those first four episodes were great.

I've rewatched the first six episodes and for me, The Expanse is still a very solid sci-fi show (probably best in recent memory). But the way you had trouble with the sixth episode, I had with the fifth. That one for me was underwhelming.

I hope we see more of Martian and UN Navy, Eros, maybe even Phoebe station. Either way, this solar system is very lively and believable.

retiredat44
January 26th, 2016, 09:01 PM
so far I could drop it and not miss this show... bleh!

VampyreWraith
January 27th, 2016, 08:53 AM
This is my favorite show airing on tv right now (and it's also becoming one of my overall favorite shows). I really love it.

ecgordon
January 27th, 2016, 04:21 PM
This is my favorite show airing on tv right now (and it's also becoming one of my overall favorite shows). I really love it.
Same here. I'm currently watching quite a few others, but none of them excite me as much as The Expanse. Last night's was the best so far.

rkgardner2003
January 28th, 2016, 04:23 AM
Next week is already the season finale....

ecgordon
January 28th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Next week is already the season finale....
At least it's two hours.

Katch
January 29th, 2016, 03:36 AM
I worry a bit about season 2... Caliban's War felt like a bit of a filler book, certainly didn't progress the main story arc of the books very much and didn't do a great deal to build the characters either.

If Syfy can keep an audience into season 3 then I think we may get to the good stuff but I do worry it'll get canned before we learn what the weird goo stuff is up to and where it came from...

TOIVA
January 29th, 2016, 07:50 AM
I worry a bit about season 2... Caliban's War felt like a bit of a filler book, certainly didn't progress the main story arc of the books very much and didn't do a great deal to build the characters either.

If Syfy can keep an audience into season 3 then I think we may get to the good stuff but I do worry it'll get canned before we learn what the weird goo stuff is up to and where it came from...

Knowing the book authors are largely involved and based on a number of comments here they haven't shied away from changes, I wouldn't fear too much.

(But I haven't read the books, so take this comment with a grain of salt.)

VampyreWraith
January 29th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Same here. I'm currently watching quite a few others, but none of them excite me as much as The Expanse. Last night's was the best so far.

I'm also watching quite a few shows right now, but this one is my favorite. I loved this week's episode, and I can't until next week.

pjt
January 31st, 2016, 04:19 PM
There's no way they can finish the first book in the remaining two episodes. Only if condensed to one episode of Eros, and one episode of not spoiling it here... But that would leave out lots of good material.

ecgordon
January 31st, 2016, 04:20 PM
Syfy will be repeating the first eight episodes on Tuesday, beginning at 6:30am, US CENTRAL Standard Time, concluding at 2:30. Then they're running three movies before getting to the two hour season finale at 9pm, to be repeated at midnight. I may tune in to a few of those episodes during the day, but definitely not the early ones. I'm not working, and rarely get up before 8. Besides, I've seen the pilot about eight times already, and the others at least three times each, plus I've pre-ordered the Blu-Ray.

ecgordon
January 31st, 2016, 04:22 PM
There's no way they can finish the first book in the remaining two episodes. Only if condensed to one episode of Eros, and one episode of not spoiling it here... But that would leave out lots of good material.
They've left out other parts already, including Havelock leaving Ceres and getting a job with a certain company that shall not be named, and him relaying info to Miller.

Annoyed
February 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I think I've decided upon one big factor which is making it difficult to watch this show.

The photography in this thing sucks. Garish lighting, extremely high contrast and in general what I consider "artsy" photography, which makes it very difficult to see details and sometimes even entire scenes shot in "space". And I'm not watching on a cheap POS either, I've got one of the top rated plasma sets on the market.

Yes, yes, I know. Photography students are taught that high contrast is cool. Who cares if it interferes with the telling of the story? I'm 24 min. into the season finale as I write this, an interior scene, and it's so damned dark you can't even recognize who is in the shot.

ecgordon
February 5th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Maybe your set is not as good as you think. I've got a decent LG LED TV, a Sony TV for my computer monitor, and an Acer laptop, and a Kindle Fire tablet. I've watched it on all of those devices at various times and never had a problem.

Annoyed
February 6th, 2016, 05:15 AM
I don't seem to have any issues with other shows.
And I've used both the THX stuff on Lucas's bd as well as the Disney WOW BD to set up the picture. So I don't think it's the TV

VampyreWraith
February 6th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I didn't have a problem seeing details or anything during the space scenes or any other scene. But I usually never have problems seeing things on tv shows or movies when other people complain about things being too dark or badly lit or whatever. I'm near-sighted though, and I don't like using my glasses for watching tv (I only use them when I drive), so I sit relatively close to the tv when I watch it.

ecgordon
February 6th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Sometimes dark scenes are a stylistic choice. Not every space ship has to be as brightly lit as the Enterprise. Considering Miller's side of the story is reminiscent of noir thrillers, there's no reason to want those scenes to be bright. I'm near-sighted too, have a 42" TV and sit fairly close to it, about 6-7 feet, and usually do not wear my glasses either. I still had no problem of that nature with The Expanse.

TOIVA
February 6th, 2016, 10:12 AM
I didn't have trouble with dark scenes in the Expanse. Dark Matter, though, that was another 'matter'.

Annoyed
February 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I sit about 7 feet back from a 60" plasma set, that has had the picture set up properly. (along with audio calibration; 9.2 channel system) Although I wear glasses, I only need them for reading/computer use, so I don't wear them watching TV.
It's not a focus issue, it's just in many scenes on this one show, everything seems to be too dark, and the garish lighting doesn't help either.
And I am loathe to go into the TV's settings to knock the contrast down and brightness up for one show.

Annoyed
February 6th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Sometimes dark scenes are a stylistic choice. Not every space ship has to be as brightly lit as the Enterprise.
That's exactly what I think is going on here; the director wants to get high marks from the "artsy" crowd and they are overdoing it for that reason.

NuBSG had a similar problem; although produced in HD, very often, the picture was grainy and otherwise poor quality.. "Cine Verite" was the term I think they used.

ecgordon
February 6th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I agree there were dark scenes, what I disagree with is that they were too dark. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, as well as on your frequent complaints that the story itself was too dark. To each his own.

Annoyed
February 7th, 2016, 10:47 AM
We all have our preferences. But I've been wondering why I can't get interested in this show, and this might be it.

ecgordon
February 7th, 2016, 12:41 PM
No offense, man, but I think that is a very superficial excuse. Shouldn't the story and characters outweigh any perceived faults in the video quality. You liked Dark Matter but not The Expanse, and in my opinion there is no contest. The Expanse is infinitely better.

Annoyed
February 7th, 2016, 01:26 PM
What can I say, the lighting style or whatever you want to call it irritates me.

ecgordon
February 10th, 2016, 06:28 AM
I was thinking I had posted this link before, but just reviewed this thread and found out I didn't. I originally uploaded a page on this show back in Dec. after watching the pilot several times, then edited it after the first four were put online. Now I've edited it again.

http://templetongate.net/expanse-tv.htm

Brother Freyr
March 25th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Books first versus television first

Recommendations? I haven't seen/read either.

pjt
March 26th, 2016, 01:46 AM

Totally up to you. The show has some characters from the later books, but doesn't spoil the ending of the first book.

ecgordon
March 26th, 2016, 06:02 AM

As much as I like the series, I love the books even more, for the usual reasons. More detail on character motivations and plot. There are a few character dynamics that are different between the two, although the show may develop them in a way to become more like the books. I've certainly not been disappointed with the minor changes they made, unlike the way it is when other favorite books have been adapted. Since there are likely to be other changes along the way, it might be best for you to watch the first season then read the first book. If you like it as much as I did you will probably want to read the second before the next season comes around.

Brother Freyr
March 26th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Since there are likely to be other changes along the way, it might be best for you to watch the first season then read the first book. If you like it as much as I did you will probably want to read the second before the next season comes around.This is what I'm doing. First season, then books. Thanks for the advice, pjt and ecgordon.

ecgordon
March 28th, 2016, 03:27 PM
This is what I'm doing. First season, then books. Thanks for the advice, pjt and ecgordon.
It has been mentioned up-thread somewhere, but it bears repeating, watching the show first will not spoil you for the end of the first book. We're close to the end, but not quite, and it is possible they will change what happens to one of the characters for the show.

ecgordon
April 11th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Anyone else get The Expanse on Blu-Ray (or DVD) yet? I still love it, looks better than ever, but I have to say I am disappointed with the bare-bones approach. Just three deleted scenes as a bonus, no commentary at all, unless those are hidden in the menu and I just missed it. Nothing on the packaging suggests there is any commentary. It would have been better to delay the release so they could do some of that, especially a feature on the Belter language, plus one on how much they used physical sets as opposed to CGI for the ship interiors. At least an interview with the books' authors on why some changes were made. I'll be upset if they expect me to double-dip a few months down the road.

ecgordon
April 14th, 2016, 04:19 PM
They've cast Bobbie Draper for Season 2.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-4-14/exclusive-expanses-ty-franck-daniel-abraham-reveal-major-cast-addition-season-2

VampyreWraith
April 16th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I have it on Blu-ray, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, since I've been trying to catch up on other shows that I watch. I'm kind of disappointed to hear that there isn't much in the way of extras, but I'm looking forward to watching the series again on BD anyway.

Brother Freyr
April 16th, 2016, 10:33 PM
They've cast Bobbie Draper for Season 2.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-4-14/exclusive-expanses-ty-franck-daniel-abraham-reveal-major-cast-addition-season-2Huh. I pictured Bobbie as a Samoan version of Brienne of Tarth (Game of Thrones). More than just tall. Also BIG. Strong. Heavy. Muscled.

At a bit over two meters tall, she was only slightly above average height for a Martian male, but thanks in part to her Polynesian ancestry, she weighed in at over a hundred kilos at one g. None of it was fat, but her muscles seemed to get bigger every time she even walked through a weight room. As a marine, she trained all the time.

ecgordon
April 17th, 2016, 06:16 AM
I'm sure they had to compromise between the right ethnicity and someone with not only acting experience but who could also do the physically demanding stuff. Frankie is also an amateur boxer, and she is six feet tall. Besides, even when she won't be wearing body armor I'd bet they could do some tweaking of CGI to make her look heavier.

MidnightBlue
August 8th, 2016, 06:03 AM
I absolutely loved the Expanse and I cannot wait for Season 2!

I didn't even know they were based off of novels when I watched it, but time permitting, I'll add those to my lengthy list of "someday" reading material.

The show hit just as I was in a mood for some hard sci-fi...having just purchased the Eclipse Phase RPG and backing the Mindjammer RPG Kickstarter.

I also loved the noir-aspect of Thomas Jane's storyline.

For anyone familiar with the setting of Decipher's WARS TCG...were you making any mental comparisons too? I couldn't help but see the human factions of WARS (Earther, Gongen, Mavericks) represented in the show.

Anyway, I had a blast and hope to see Season 2 before long.

rkgardner2003
December 17th, 2016, 05:47 AM
This is about 30 min long, but I enjoyed it. It gives a recap of season 1, has some behind the scenes stuff too, season 2 sneak peek.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/the-expanse-expanded

VampyreWraith
March 16th, 2017, 03:54 PM
YAY! The Expanse has been renewed for a third season! When I saw the news about the 12 Monkeys renewal earlier, I was hoping that we'd get news on The Expanse today as well.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/the-expanse-renewed-season-3-syfy-1202045014/

unscheduled traveller
January 9th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Read a few select comments have to agree, great Sci fi. I would think of it more as a space based detective story.
vvv-Spoilers-vvv
Understand they're going to have a Einstein-Rosen Bridge/stargate later in the show.

Perelandra
January 13th, 2018, 09:09 AM
do we have a date yet for season three premiere? The Expanse and 12 Monkeys are the only shows I have been watching on Syfy. I've been going to the website but have only seen 2018.

unscheduled traveller
January 22nd, 2018, 04:54 AM
So far both the wore and IMDB list only 2018.

Gen. Chris
April 13th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Hey mods/Darren, can we get season three episode discussions up in this area since the show has returned?

GateWorld
April 15th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Will do! Sorry for the delay.

~Darren

VampyreWraith
April 17th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Thank you Darren :)

Coco Pops
August 6th, 2018, 09:23 PM
I just finished the series and loved it.

However the rings, Stargates much? come on?

I know nothing is original any more but they're like Stargates but without the dialing.

But I FREAKING LOVE THE SHOW.

Chrisjen is awesome.

But the aliens are kind of boneheads, why would you create something so dangerous like the protomolecule and unleash it on unsuspecting solar systems? I get it they don't care but why would you make stuff like this?

I kept thinking protoculture haha, but that was Robotech.

Now that we have a season 4 will we find out more about them or will it be like cryptic soup and we have to muddle through cryptic clues which I find an annoying trope and overused.

The Shrike
September 30th, 2018, 04:45 PM
…But the aliens are kind of boneheads, why would you create something so dangerous like the protomolecule and unleash it on unsuspecting solar systems? I get it they don't care but why would you make stuff like this?...

It's quite possible that was the reason why the unseen scary aliens fragged their civilization.

DigiFluid
October 4th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Production has begun on Season 4 (http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-expanse/57639/the-expanse-season-4-news)!

Coco Pops
October 4th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Ooooh shiny.

Season 4

Coco Pops
February 6th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know if season 4 will be on Netflix or available to buy on disk?

P-90_177
February 7th, 2019, 03:32 AM
Does anyone know if season 4 will be on Netflix or available to buy on disk?

Since it was bought by Amazon you'll likely need to watch it on Amazon Prime. As a direct competitor to Netflix I doubt they'll get it any time soon. Otherwise I'm sure it'll be released on disk eventually.

DigiFluid
February 7th, 2019, 05:02 AM
Season 4 updates:

It's not clear from the tweet if hallucination-Miller will be appearing in Season 4 or not, but Thomas Jane was definitely on set this past Saturday (https://twitter.com/Breck_Eisner/status/1091777117216329728)

Shohreh Aghdashloo (Avasarala) completed her filming for Season 4 on this past Sunday (https://twitter.com/BriBriGuy23/status/1092251349373206529)

Dominique Tipper (Naomi) finished her filming for Season 4 yesterday, and seems to be saying that the entire season has wrapped filming (https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/status/1093340879325147138)

Rough cuts of the first three episodes of Season 4 are in a watchable state (https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/status/1092905137285156864)

EDIT:

Burn Gorman (of Torchwood note) will be appearing in Season 4 (https://twitter.com/ExpanseOnPrime/status/1093509686597308416)

And Frankie Adams (Bobbie) has also completed filming (https://twitter.com/ffrankieadams/status/1093644295104385024)

DigiFluid
February 8th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Wes Chatham (Amos) completed his filming for Season 4 today (https://twitter.com/weschatham/status/1093923170699091968)

Coco Pops
February 10th, 2019, 05:57 PM
I love Frankie Adams as Bobbie. She rocks.

DigiFluid
February 12th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Production on Season 4 wrapped at 2am on February 8 (https://twitter.com/Breck_Eisner/status/1093839092788408320)

And judging from Thomas Jane's hair, he is indeed appearing in the show again.

DigiFluid
February 25th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Rosa Gilmore, Keon Alexander & Jess Salgueiro in recurring roles in Season 4

https://deadline.com/2019/02/the-expanse-rosa-gilmore-keon-alexander-jess-salgueiro-recur-season-4-amazon-1202563247/