PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Cylons in BSG

LordAnubis
February 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Are the humanoid Cylons stronger and more endurable than normal humans? Do they have any special senses like night vision, enhanced hearing, etc.?

Also, do you think a Goa'uld symbiote would be able to take over a humanoid Cylon?

DownFallAngel
February 19th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Yes. Yes they do. They come with power locks and doors aswell. :D

I think inorder to keep the whole 'human' characteristic thing going, they won't have any enhanced visual sensors. But I'm sure increased strength they have.

As for symbiotes...I doubt it, because at some level, the Cylons are still macinical, and remember Tin Man? Harlan couldn't incorporate a symbiote into Teal'c, so I don't think they would work together (symbiotes and Cylons).

Just what I think.

WormholeAlien
February 19th, 2005, 12:19 PM
They're stronger than normal humans, and they have red light bulbs stuck in their spine :) (the female ones at least). In the pilot episode, when one of them was having sex, her spine was glowing red. :eek:

LordAnubis
February 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
They're stronger than normal humans, and they have red light bulbs stuck in their spine :) (the female ones at least). In the pilot episode, when one of them was having sex, her spine was glowing red. :eek:
Ya, so did Boomer when she was doin' it with Helo.

Hey, another question...were there ever real human versions of the humanoid Cylons, like Boomer, or were they created to simply assume a role and grow with it? There are two copies of Boomer, so is the original dead, or was there never an original?

And how is Dr. Baltar communicating with Number 6?

DownFallAngel
February 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM
As of this point we assume all have been manufactured.

Baltar stated that 6 implanted some type of device into his head one night when he was sleeping. She has been comunnicating with him life that ever since. She reinforced this idea in 33, I beleive when Baltar was talking to her at his mental Caprica Villa.

WormholeAlien
February 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hmmm.... I just thought of a new cylon detector that has no need for weapons grade plutonium or going through test tubes, just a sample of the best looking female cylons. :D

Dahak
February 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Ya, so did Boomer when she was doin' it with Helo.

Hey, another question...were there ever real human versions of the humanoid Cylons, like Boomer, or were they created to simply assume a role and grow with it? There are two copies of Boomer, so is the original dead, or was there never an original?

I think that Boomer, 6, Leisure Suit Larry, and what's his face are clone copies of humans captured during the war 50 years ago. Taking a real human from infancy and reprograming it and adding whatever tools that the cylons needed to give them.
As far as how Baltar talks to 6 there could be some answers. There is almost certainly some type of implant that lets 6 talk to him. Clearly Baltar isn't just crazy. Maybe Galactica Boomer carries the signal some how. Maybe the Cylons have some FTL communication device. I am thinking that their "God" does exist but I doubt it's what a human would consider a god. Maybe it's some weird superpowerful computer like the Technocores god.

Madeleine
February 19th, 2005, 10:03 PM
In 33 Boomer was the only pilot type not to get really knackered.

ieya1968
February 20th, 2005, 03:04 AM
I am a little confused over the human Cylon thing.

Is it that;

As they were created, machines, by humans then their belief is to
become, in the words "in the likeness of their God, human?

If so, then why are the trying to destroy humans. Or is it that they
want them to find Earth and therefore find the orgins of their God, the
original planet of humans? :S

Gareth

WormholeAlien
February 20th, 2005, 03:44 AM
*** SPOILER for last episode of first series ***

In the last episode of the first series, they reveal they want the next generation to be human/humanoid-cylon hybrid.

I think, they thinned out the human population to make that easier.

Also, they don't feel humans are god to them. In one episode the captured cylon did say that it is either believing in a supreme being or believing that the humans are their gods. And the humans believe in the greek gods, not a single god.

@Li3n
February 20th, 2005, 03:51 AM
The Cylons kinda want 2 replace humans and Earth is not the original planet of humans, Kobol is, Earth is just the 13th colony where the lost tribe ended up.

DownFallAngel
February 20th, 2005, 07:02 AM
*** SPOILER for last episode of first series ***

In the last episode of the first series, they reveal they want the next generation to be human/humanoid-cylon hybrid.

I think, they thinned out the human population to make that easier.

Also, they don't feel humans are god to them. In one episode the captured cylon did say that it is either believing in a supreme being or believing that the humans are their gods. And the humans believe in the greek gods, not a single god.

Boomer and Helo's child is the hybrid. Supoosedly.

Vorlon-1
February 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Yes. Yes they do. They come with power locks and doors aswell. :D

I think inorder to keep the whole 'human' characteristic thing going, they won't have any enhanced visual sensors. But I'm sure increased strength they have.

As for symbiotes...I doubt it, because at some level, the Cylons are still macinical, and remember Tin Man? Harlan couldn't incorporate a symbiote into Teal'c, so I don't think they would work together (symbiotes and Cylons).

Just what I think.

I know Boomer was the only pilot in 33 that wasn't exhausted both mentally and physically. Baltar was able to hold the bathroom door on the Blond Cylon in the last episode so I don't think they are stronger. The are probably comparable to a genetically enhanced human. Quicker reaction times, perfect vision, eye hand coordination but still organic and limited to the body they posses.

FoolishPleasure
February 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM
There was mention at some point about a chip implated in Baltar, but I'd like to know about last week's episode where 6 got angry at Baltar and the others could see her - she even came on to Adama. :eek: In the end she just disappeared and it was back to just Baltar seeing her.

I'm so confused. ;)

Blue Banrigh
February 21st, 2005, 02:54 PM
Enigma.

I think that while there are cylon Sixes in the fleet, the one in Baltar's head is just a manifestation of his guilt. All those clues he is getting from her is just his brain operating on gut feelings (if that makes sense).

Michelle
April 30th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I always thought that shelly godfrey 6 was just another copy and pretened to be weak so as to freak out baltar and punish him for the whole your god is stupid thing!

And didnt Bommer not get tired when helo and her are running in the sewers, i think he makes a comment about it too...

spg_1983
April 30th, 2005, 11:11 PM
And didnt Bommer not get tired when helo and her are running in the sewers, i think he makes a comment about it too...
yeah she didnt get tired, thats when helo started suspecting something was up.

Darth Buddha
May 1st, 2005, 03:06 PM
I saw an absolutely brilliant post about the Cylon Raider, which has a seemingly organic brain, and this seems the place to share it.

"Pardon me, why is there MEAT in my Cylon?"

That just about sums up the most interesting part of these Cylons.. they ALL have organic components.

keshou
May 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM
I am a little confused over the human Cylon thing.
Is it that;
As they were created, machines, by humans then their belief is to
become, in the words "in the likeness of their God, human?
If so, then why are the trying to destroy humans. Or is it that they
want them to find Earth and therefore find the orgins of their God, the
original planet of humans? :S

I think the Cylons want to wipe out most of the humans and then procreate with a select few to bring their next evolution "closer to god". They view humans as being flawed and turning away from god and deserving to die.

Yet they also believe humanity were god's children. The Cylons are painfully aware that they are humanity's creation and aren't truly "alive" in the sense humans are/were. Thus the human/cylon hybrid. I think.

I have to say I don't get why the Cylons have picked Baltar as the guardian of the human/cylon evolution. Seems an unlikely choice - if indeed that's what has happened. Who knows with Baltar - he could be imagining all this.

Can't wait for S2 of BSG. Is it July yet? :D

Thor's Pal
May 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM
As of this point we assume all have been manufactured.

Baltar stated that 6 implanted some type of device into his head one night when he was sleeping. She has been comunnicating with him life that ever since. She reinforced this idea in 33, I beleive when Baltar was talking to her at his mental Caprica Villa.

I must say that that is one heck of a device that can cause his body to pound his head against solid surfaces.

... and they have red light bulbs stuck in their spine (the female ones at least). In the pilot episode, when one of them was having sex, her spine was glowing red.

Correct me if I'm wrong, they only time we've seen the "red lights" is because they were outside when it was raining and the rain is radioactive due to all the nukes that were detonated on the planet.

Blade Runner
May 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, they only time we've seen the "red lights" is because they were outside when it was raining and the rain is radioactive due to all the nukes that were detonated on the planet.

Number 6 and Caprica Boomer's spines glow red when they are having sex although the Boomer version was cut from the UK and Australian screenings

Blue Banrigh
October 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Here's another question. Let's say Cylons have souls, now would each copy have a soul, or does each model share their own collective soul (there's like a Six soul, a Sharon soul, Leoben soul etc)? Has there been any mention of this?

Brigadier General Pants
October 20th, 2005, 04:47 PM

When did that happen? Besides which, it's common for people to think radioactivity = glowing in the dark. It doesn't.

madk99
October 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
When did that happen? Besides which, it's common for people to think radioactivity = glowing in the dark. It doesn't.
Actually it does - depending on the isotope and activity. The people that initiated the Goiania accident took out the cesium capsule because it glowed and they thought it was pretty.
See http://www.semp.us/biots/biot_234.html for a good account of this disaster.

Brigadier General Pants
October 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Actually it does - depending on the isotope and activity. The people that initiated the Goiania accident took out the cesium capsule because it glowed and they thought it was pretty.
See http://www.semp.us/biots/biot_234.html for a good account of this disaster.

Sorry to contradict you again, but no it doesn't. What you are thinking of is phosphorescence. Some isotopes are radioactive AND phosphorescent, but the three types of radiation emitted by radioisotopes (alpha, beta and gamma) are all invisible to the naked eye. And activity is not linked to 'glowing in the dark' either - the amount of radiation per second doesn't affect whether or not you can see it, since it's invisible.

Brigadier General Pants
October 27th, 2005, 12:23 AM
A couple of interesting links, when radioactivity does create visible light - indirectly anyway...

http://campus.umr.edu/reactor/cerenkov.html

http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/balloon/cerenkov_radiation.html

madk99
October 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Sorry to contradict you again, but no it doesn't. What you are thinking of is phosphorescence. Some isotopes are radioactive AND phosphorescent, but the three types of radiation emitted by radioisotopes (alpha, beta and gamma) are all invisible to the naked eye. And activity is not linked to 'glowing in the dark' either - the amount of radiation per second doesn't affect whether or not you can see it, since it's invisible.
Yes, technically you are correct. Alpha, beta, and gamma radiation are not detected by the human eye. But at the risk of "too many details" I decided to simplify. Radiation (both ionizing and non-ionizing) has the capacity to strike a associated flourophore resulting in electron excitation and ultimate release of photon energy anywhere in the EM spectrum (within the limits of quantized energy levels). I think this is a case of both of us knowing too much:p So while you are right that radiation does NOT = glowing in the dark, I should clarify for the peanut gallery (those whom do not have PhDs in physics) that the right radioactivity can be associated with photons in the vis spectrum.

Please, Let's not split hairs smaller than 1.616 X 10^-35 meters. The consequences to the universe could be disastrous.

Brigadier General Pants
October 27th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Agreed... although those links on Cerenkov radiation are interesting...