This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPAA attacks fic archives??

Was readling through my friend Wiliqueen's blog when I came across a link to this site/article:

http://www.livejournal.com/community...ogy/13331.html

It sounds as if the MPAA is trying to object to fic authors using their ratings system to categorize stories. Sounds kind of idiotic to me. Or possibly some big scam. I was wondering, has anyone else heard anything about this?

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Was readling through my friend Wiliqueen's blog when I came across a link to this site/article:

http://www.livejournal.com/community...ogy/13331.html

It sounds as if the MPAA is trying to object to fic authors using their ratings system to categorize stories. Sounds kind of idiotic to me. Or possibly some big scam. I was wondering, has anyone else heard anything about this?
    Not until now. Man, that's just nuts; maybe we should create our own ratings system in anticipation. How about this:

C - Clean.
    D - Dirty.
    VD - Very Dirty.
    DF - Downright Filthy.
    PI - Physically Impossible.
    OGMEMB - Oh God! My Eyes! My Brain!
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
      Not until now. Man, that's just nuts; maybe we should create our own ratings system in anticipation. How about this:

C - Clean.
      D - Dirty.
      VD - Very Dirty.
      DF - Downright Filthy.
      LOL! Sounds good to me.

I keep thinking this has to be some kind of April Fool's joke played a little too early. There's no way they'd be able to enforce something that stupid.

*wanders off to find some OGMEMB fics*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        LOL! Sounds good to me.

I keep thinking this has to be some kind of April Fool's joke played a little too early. There's no way they'd be able to enforce something that stupid.
        Well, there's no real way to enforce most internet-related C&D orders. You can't make someone take down their fanfic site, it'll just shift URL and/or ISP and wait for the next letter. I think there must be an entire subspecies of lawyer that makes its living sending out C&D orders to harmless fansites for one reason or another.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

C - Clean.
          D - Dirty.
          VD - Very Dirty.
          DF - Downright Filthy.
          LOL. Very funny. I love these ratings- let's use them. I especially like "PI".
          Complaints about using their ratings--now I've heard everything.

Comment

if i remember right, the allegation is that someone using 'rated pg-13' is deemed by the mpaa as an infringement upon mpaa's copyright of the term thus implying that the mpaa read and endorced and rated this fic

can i just say poppycock???

ok, in my totally amature opinion, IF and i mean IF the person was using the graphic on thier site the MPAA could have a case. However the term 'PG-13' is so generic that it'd be like Kleenex sueing every single person that calls a tissue a kleenex regardless of which company makes it (ie asking for a Kleenex and getting a Puffs instead)

only an idiot would think that the MPAA (which stands for MOTION PICTURE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA) rates and approves unpaid and amature written works

they do movies and tv shows, not books
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I heard about this a couple of days ago but I thought it was joke. You're kidding me right - it's REAL! This is... *headdesk*

Absurd.

Let me go and dig up that post again (I didn't actually take it seriously and read it all the first time)...

Scans of the letters:
              http://www.livejournal.com/users/lik...es/150546.html

Why don't the fanfic writers/sites just tag on a disclaimer for the rating system just like they do for the TV show? But I suppose the MPAA would still have a problem with it...
              Last edited by joanne1138; 19 February 2005, 10:17 AM. Reason: I remebered something else to say.
              ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                only an idiot would think that the MPAA (which stands for MOTION PICTURE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA) rates and approves unpaid and amature written works
                You do know how many idiots there are in the world, right?

(Many of them appear to work for the MPAA.)

a time to mourn

Comment

Well....LOL?
                  This just sounds ridiculously stupid....

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    ...only an idiot would think that the MPAA (which stands for MOTION PICTURE ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA) rates and approves unpaid and amature written works they do movies and tv shows, not books
                    I'm English (and therefore not an American) - would this ratings thing effect me I wonder?

I do realise that these people say they own the copyright to these acronyms (standing for Guardian and Parental Guidance – which I’m not 100% sure you can copyright) but then again they also state that they are used in motion picture and not used for the written word… My guess would be that they haven’t got a leg to stand on…

Just in case anyone would like to see a letter here is the one sent to netroenterprises.com
                    Sam....

Comment

C - Clean.
                      D - Dirty.
                      VD - Very Dirty.
                      DF - Downright Filthy.
                      Bwahaha... Now that is a rating system I could live with!

Comment

That is the stupidest thing I've heard

The MPAA needs to wake up and realisethey can't (and it is stupid to try to) dictate how, when and in what way fans appreciate their fav show.

Next they'll be saying every fanfic site has to shut down because they have no right to use characters from tv shows/movies.

It just seems to be getting ridiculous to me.

Didn't anyone tell them that fans = customers?

Who else is gonna buy their dvds and their merchandise??

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                          Next they'll be saying every fanfic site has to shut down because they have no right to use characters from tv shows/movies.
                          Actually, I believe that HAS been tried before. Although not by the MPAA.

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                            the mpaa may not be able to, but MGM could. it HAS happened to other fandoms.

some authors tolerate fanfic, others do not. take a look at fanfic.net's TOS, some authors, anne rice, pn elrod and others have told ff.net that they do not support fanfic based on their characters and ff.net will not archive fic based on those authors' works

now, those are books and this is tv, slight difference...but if mgm decided to, they could force all fan fic sites to come down. fanfic exists at the tolerance of the owners.

usually it is seen as harmless fan work, but sometimes the owners can be most possessive
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yeah...I lost a bunch of actually COMPLETED Dragonriders of Pern fics because Anne McCaffrey didn't want fics around. Needless to say I don't read her books anymore. Any author who snobs their fans and tries to dictate how they are to worship them is no better than a Goa'uld. They get kicked right out of my head.

And I love that rating systems *runs off to change on of her fics to DF and look for some OGMEMB fics *
                              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Working...
                              X