Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J. Michael Straczynski to do Star Trek in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Michael Straczynski to do Star Trek in the future?

Check these messages:
    message 1
    message 2

For me it would be really cool to see JMS do Star Trek as I really liked Babylon 5 and Jeremiah!! But would his style of storytelling fit the Trek universe?
    "The major difference between the thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

1. reallllly old.

2. read message 2 again.

He said FORGET ABOUT IT, NEVERMIND. Don't waste your time writing letters, paramount has declared a 2-3 year trek break.

He'd like to do it in 2-3 years maybe.

Comment

personally i'd like to see JMS do a trek series or at least be involved with one.

i think the time delay between next series would be good. when TNG started, the TOS crew were doing movies, when TNG ended DS9 had already started and when DS9 ended VOY was still going on. the only real break star trek has had the past 18 years is the 4 month gap between the end of voyager and the start of enterprise.

i think the break is good. while the regular guys are developing the next movie, JMS could use this time to come up a new series, characters, ship, plot and things like that. just because Paramount want a break, its no reason not to start some early work on the series.

i thought JMS and paramount weren't on the best of terms because of the whole DS9/B5 similarity issue.

sigpic

Comment

I'm so sick of seeing the federation. Maybe we could set it in the future by like 300 years, and do a Romulan ship or something. Federation is to damn old.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
          I'm so sick of seeing the federation. Maybe we could set it in the future by like 300 years, and do a Romulan ship or something. Federation is to damn old.
          Gene Roddenberry said that Star Trek was about the human condition, not the Klingons, Romulans, Breen, or any other species. Having a Romulan ST show would kinda be going against that principle. However, I wouldn't be against the next Trek series taking place further into the future.
          Rocky

Comment

DS9, with its dominion war arc, is also against Gene's "vision". If he were still have lived, he would have hated it. (I liked it)

Gene's control over TNG was only in it's first years, and there he demanded that there be no conflict between main characters. And the first 2 years are seen as its worst.

maybe they should make something like the fall of the federation, or the fed getting corrupted, and the adventures of a renegade ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassguy
              1. reallllly old.

He'd like to do it in 2-3 years maybe.
              Well if you think 3 days is old then yes
              And yes I read that he said he would have to look it again after the pause, that's why I put the "in the future?" to the topic

Originally posted by shockwave
              DS9, with its dominion war arc, is also against Gene's "vision". If he were still have lived, he would have hated it. (I liked it)

Gene's control over TNG was only in it's first years, and there he demanded that there be no conflict between main characters. And the first 2 years are seen as its worst.
              Yeah and his legacy still lives on. There's not much conflict or real emotions between characters. It's sad as I really feel potential with the Star Trek universe. It has great races, alliances, empires, etc...

or the fed getting corrupted
              Remember the TNG episode where the Federation is infected with somekind of parasitic lifeforms? Well I remember reading from somewhere that the original idea was that there was a real human coup in the works but Gene didn't want that idea in his show!
              "The major difference between the thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

Comment

What's the betting that any new Trek series that comes along will be based in the Academy, maybe following a bunch of new recruits through their training?
                Seffy- Stargating Farscaping X-O'Phile
                Sci-fi, it's like drugs only legal.
                O'Neill In the middle of my backswing? Window Of Opertunity

Comment

Originally posted by seffy
                  What's the betting that any new Trek series that comes along will be based in the Academy, maybe following a bunch of new recruits through their training?
                  That's what Movie XI is about. But that has been halted aswell.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                  [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

my only quibble with this....paramount is most possessive of trek and JMS problems with studios/owners has always been the suits sticking their nose into his creative processes

paramount isn't known for keeping its hands off things

if it's true and they have or are going to work something out, cool

JMS is a great story teller and he could breathe new life into a tired franchise
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I just want the future show to be consistent with itself at least. It would be difficult to fit everything in with the other 5 series and the 10 movies but the show should at least be internally consistent unlike Enterprise was.
                      Plus I really think that any ST show would be better off "compressing time". Every show has roughly had 1 year equal 1 season but it really doesn't make much sense. When you do that there are no transfers or promotions which makes the crew look weak. If they are so good why don't they go to another ship and get promoted? I mean not every case is as bad as Ryker being "the best First Oficer in the fleet" for 13 YEARS but the simple fact is that Enterprise should have lost at least Reed or Trip to Columbia.
                      There is also the annoying nitpicks of people with way too much time on their hands (like me) about things like warp speed and distance to planets but I can understand why they ignore those issues since watching a month long travel to Kronos would be pretty boring. On the other hand please in the future no more disapearing weapons that are there on the premiere and then missing 4 episodes later. Oh and please use all the characters. If they end up being boring then have the character die or transfer them but May I please have a line before I lose my SAG card is just terrible writing.

Comment

Straczynski is the best man in sci fidom to save startrek. I want a series thats main focus is fun characters and good heart warming stories, Unlike all the Treks except TOS I think if you do it again you must hit the stride within season 1 people are less patient now there is alot more compeition so the first 2 seasons have to excel , If Enterprise had been doing what is being done now right from the start I bet it would have had 6-8 million ratings like the predecessors and no cancelation.Once you lose a audience or alienate them its hard to get them back and even though Enterprise has made some rebounds 3.17 rating in "Aenar" its to little to late.

I think after 5 series going from the 22nd century to the 24th , I think we need a middle show between the 23rd century and TNG era to be like the Bil Frost bridge seperating realms of Asgard and Midgard, What happend after the events in star trek VI and VI? Why arnt the Gorn in the 24th century? Who was Mogue father of Worf and Duras senior the man who would betray him to the enemy? Some people think going back to the TOS era would be limiting I dont think so , It would be the best place for story telling you can link Enterprise,TOS,TNG,DS9,VOY all together , Sure maybe you cant have Feringi and Borg but it certainly alot less limiting and restrictive as Enterprise , Another advantage is that dead characters like Sarek , Cursain Dax with Korr and Kang can still be alive.

I want to see the Excelsior USS Enterprise B maybe not the same cast and crew like in "Star TrekGenerations" motion picture , I nice plot twice is if the ships original captain John Harriman is killed in sudden heroic death and his first officer must step up to the plate , The New inexperienced captain would have to deal with a desfunctionate and a Insubordinate crew and try to make things work out or Starfleet will boil his backside , I want a captain who is sort of a desperado who like Kirk somtimes will skit the Prime Directive because he feels in his heart their is a higher moral code then a law on papper, He would be a Anti Picard who isnt by the book but is hounded by superiors who want him too.

I want to continue Enterprises legacy of developing the Andorians , Id like to see the first Andorian cast member a decendant of Imperial Comander Shran a great grand daughter who is the Ships tactical officer the Xena/Tasha Yar character who has a mysterious history and a hidden agenda , Then have Demora Sulu the daughter of Captain Sulu imported in as the pilot which you could add George Takei as Captain Sulu in guest appearences, Takei is still groaning that he didnt get his own show so he is still eager better now or never that we see the TOS era again.

Given the politcal climate today in society , Id like to make somthing more relevant to todays issues with internal and external struggles , I real people with flaws and feelings who mess up and pay the consiquences for it ,Dont always get easily redeemed for their errors , Not wooden 2d dopes who get aloing all well and never make mistakes and always win in the end, or they do have conflicts but always to forget it and have everything reset next episode as if it never happend, I want consistency.

There is a ton of back story left over from TOS,TNG,DS9 and the movies to explore , To do so would further promote and join the franchise as a hole. The prequeil concept isnt a bad one it just has to be done right with better care since it is a little tricky since it has to follow continuity more strictly.

No UPN ! Cable as dificult as it is to keep that good budget its better, because 3-4 million is conciderd good on cable you dont need 8 million just to keep the show in a profit margin, You can do alot more that network tv doesnt allow.

Stargate Sg1 and BSG has less viewers
                        then enterprise but the cost are so low and enough people buy dvds watch reruns that its more profitable. Sg1 is going for season 9 that means its now tied with the X-files

Just FX and huge budgets dont make a good show , Its talent and creativity and hard work that do,Thats what alot of hollywood doesnt realize now with the junk they churn out.
                        The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

JMS is a great writer and i'd love to see him be responsible for a new ST series...but not right now...

3-5 years at least....

give the show some time away from the people and, if he's really interested in writing, give him time to write out a couple arcs...

a lot of people bagged on Enterprise S3 because it was mostly 1 long arc and if you missed an ep you missed a lot, but I'd rather see season long arcs and an uber-story like done on B5 rather than random and mostly pointless episodic tv...

the Federation/pre-Federation can only go on narrowly avoiding war for so long before somebody really does put the smackdown on them...i was SO rooting for the Jem H'dar....
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Perersonally I hope the 'Save Enterprise' campaign is sucsessful (it worked with the original series so why not this time?) I reckon theres alot of potentional left in Enterprise, and considering it's only just hit its stride it can only really get better.

Comment

Working...
                            X