Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transformers Masterpiece Toys - My First

G'day,

Just wanted to shout from a rooftop somewhere...

I'VE JUST ORDERED MY FIRST -

For those who don't know, Takara started releasing a "Masterpiece" series of G1 Transformer replicas back in 2003. These pricey collectors pieces are worthy of the Masterpiece title, with great attention to detail whilst finding the line between faithfulness to the cartoon, and to the original toys.

As a mostly 80's boy, I had a fairly good collection of Transformers, and indeed, a fair chunk of my collection are still in my possession - though these were toys that I played with, a lot, and now are far from being display pieces. One particular example that I would have loved to own as a child was one of the "triplets" - Prowl / Silverstreak / Smokescreen... (How envious I was of a friend who had Smokescreen!) But fate always kept them away from me...

Flash forward some 10 years or so, and whilst cruising one night with friends I saw a car in a caryard that just grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go. I wasn't sure at the time why this particular car so fascinated me... But 6 months later, I purchased my first car - a silver 1981 Nissan 280ZX with targa roof...

"ZEDEX" circa 2000
    280zx.jpg

After doing a little bit of googling, I suddenly had a flashback to my childhood as I read that the Autobot triplets were in fact based on the "Fairlady Z" - 280ZX! For the 15 years that followed, even after the car itself went on its next journey in life, I have looked on eBay from time to time to find a good condition G1 Silverstreak - just to own, and display...

"Streak 18S"

Well, last night I discovered that Silverstreak had not only been reproduced in the Masterpiece series of Takara toys, but they had even released an all silver version at the Tokyo Toy Convention (or something) last year! And, I found a seller on eBay offering them for a mere $36! What a bargain! (RRP $99ish)

(Ok... I know I am more than likely getting a knock off... It's from a seller in China, selling at less than half price... But there's no way I could afford the full retail, and after looking at a review of the knock off, compared to the original, there's really not much to complain about.)

Yes, it's a bit extravagent, but I have money from my Father-In-Law from Xmas, and I'm gonna love telling him what I used his money for... He'll both approve, and disapprove at the same time... But I'll smile inside and out.

At least now I'll own a 280ZX without any rust.

Yippee!

cosmic
    Last edited by cosmichobo; 27 January 2015, 03:40 AM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

And it has arrived from China! 2 weeks - much better than the estimated 3-6 weeks... And it's a Knock Off, but as noted above, I'm still happy!

The box gave it away, pretty shoddy compared to what you would expect to find in a shop (ie not quite square, exposed cardboard visible). But "Streak" himself - beautiful. Really looks great in both robot and car modes...

Cheers,

cosmic
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Comment

Working...
    X