Call to the area 51.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call to the area 51.

Why amanda not call the area 51 and said......"move the chair!! The dards are coming"???

Originally posted by Sg1 1988 View Post
    Why amanda not call the area 51 and said......"move the chair!! The dards are coming"???
    I doubt there would've been much time to do that. For one, it probably wouldn't be neatly in a wooden crate ready for transport.

Comment

And iirc none of the earth ships were in orbit, so they couldnt have beamed it out.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        And iirc none of the earth ships were in orbit, so they couldnt have beamed it out.
        There was the Hammond, but given that they didn't even launch it, i would say it was barely finished. Which, by the way, nicely agrees with the first episodes of SGU

Comment

If any calls were made to Area 51, it was most likely "INCOMING! GET THE H**L OUT OF THERE ... NOW!"

Comment

Though you would have thought with with a place of such importance, they would have installed an Asgard powered shield over area 51. So even if the darts made it down, they wouldn't have blown the place up.

Comment

Though you would have thought with with a place of such importance, they would have installed an Asgard powered shield over area 51. So even if the darts made it down, they wouldn't have blown the place up.
              brilliant. an inspired idea.
              remind me why earth didn't use the chair and drones to destroy the wraith ship as soon as it was in the vicinity of the moon? and if not then, when the ship moved closer but before it fired?

edit: surely Sheppard wasn't the only person with the gene, who could use the chair, especially so long after Beckett's gene therapy was put into use
              Last edited by Brother Freyr; 03 January 2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                remind me why earth didn't use the chair and drones to destroy the wraith ship as soon as it was in the vicinity of the moon? and if not then, when the ship moved closer but before it fired?

edit: surely Sheppard wasn't the only person with the gene, who could use the chair, especially so long after Beckett's gene therapy was put into use
                One would think a whole lot of research into who on earth had the gene and how strong it was, and gotten them to sign a non-disclosure statement, and then station them at Area 51 to be available in case the chair was needed ... instead of waiting for Shep to show up and be sent off to Area 51 ... when they already had one guy on earth who was more than qualified to use the chair ... even if he wasn't a regular on SGA.

Comment

There's no evidence that earth actually *built* asgard tech prior to the Core. For all we know, the Asgard actually brought these technologies *to* us, for us to install. Because i can think of a few other thing that could do with an Asgard-powered shield, and it seems more logical to me that Earth doesn't have the manufacturing capacity to build even simple hyperdrive or shield components, than that we magically can make technology far above us with current day tech. Especially since Goa'uld tech seemed borderline reverse-engineerable.

Drones are still physical things. Too far away, and the Wraith could simply shoot them down. Remember that it was also a "superweapon" and not just a regular chair firing a couple of drones. Beckett could manage to fire only small groups of drones at once from Atlantis. It would require someone on the level of Sheppard to fire the Superweapon in a way that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                    There's no evidence that earth actually *built* asgard tech prior to the Core.
                    Agreed, but isn't this episode a couple of RL years later (and same/more? in-verse years)? I thought Earth was building Asgard tech by then (which is unrealistic, but that's another thread). When was the next ship built?

Comment

Agreed, but isn't this episode a couple of RL years later (and same/more? in-verse years)? I thought Earth was building Asgard tech by then (which is unrealistic, but that's another thread). When was the next ship built?
                      I myself am an engineer of profession. My best guess is that after the Ori were destroyed, the urgency to keep the Odyssey in one piece was gone, and subsequently every single Asgard adaptation that happened in Unending was carefully observed, categorized, and undone to be taken apart by Area 51. I bet there was a major reorganization at Area 51 where many experts in their (sometimes new) fields would go on to study the Asgard's notes on the subject. Scientists would bow over the data inside, Engineers would pull the core itself apart for study and understanding. I think that the Odyssey and it's systems would've been -and probably will be- a very, very desired resource with dozens and dozens of instances wanting to make use of it.

Manufacturing extra shields would probably fall low on the list (that is, any stuff outside what they already needed)

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        One would think a whole lot of research into who on earth had the gene and how strong it was, and gotten them to sign a non-disclosure statement, and then station them at Area 51 to be available in case the chair was needed ... instead of waiting for Shep to show up and be sent off to Area 51 ... when they already had one guy on earth who was more than qualified to use the chair ... even if he wasn't a regular on SGA.
                        What's to say someone who had it in the general population, would have agreed to sign that NDA and have his life effectively ruled over by being forced to stay there? I know several people who declined to sign NDAs and work for the govt. One even took a less prestigious college rather than the one he initially wanted, cause of that.

Comment

What's to say someone who had it in the general population, would have agreed to sign that NDA and have his life effectively ruled over by being forced to stay there? I know several people who declined to sign NDAs and work for the govt. One even took a less prestigious college rather than the one he initially wanted, cause of that.
                          Just because one person refused to sign the NDA doesn't mean another person (or more) would also refuse to. There's always one person willing to do what others won't.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            Just because one person refused to sign the NDA doesn't mean another person (or more) would also refuse to. There's always one person willing to do what others won't.
                            Except the pool for the ATA gene is pretty low.

Despite having the Therapy, and it working, the best ATA gene users were naturals. We've never seen "therapy" users be truly *good* at that particular craft.

Comment

Where have they ever made a distinction between natural users and the therapy.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X