PDA

View Full Version : Avengers: Age of Ultron - News/Discussion/Speculation

DigiFluid
December 10th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Wow...had a look and we apparently don't have a thread for the biggest movie of 2015?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD8lWtcgeyg

DigiFluid
December 10th, 2014, 08:51 AM
And (rumour alert!) Stephen Strange may be making his debut (http://io9.com/rumor-a-brand-new-marvel-hero-will-have-a-cameo-in-age-1669154449) in this one...

Teddybrown
December 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I just kept posting stuff in the old Avengers thread, didnt really think of making a new one...

Starsaber
December 10th, 2014, 11:14 AM
And (rumour alert!) Stephen Strange may be making his debut (http://io9.com/rumor-a-brand-new-marvel-hero-will-have-a-cameo-in-age-1669154449) in this one...

So we might have Sherlock Holmes meet Sherlock Holmes? :D

Ikorni
December 10th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Not seen the extended one! Thanks for posting.

DigiFluid
January 1st, 2015, 12:46 PM
This is interesting... (http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/01/tim-roth-abomination-the-incredible-hulk-avengers-2/) Tim Roth says that Abomination, his giant rage monster character from 2008's The Incredible Hulk, was originally slated to be (at least one of) the villain(s) in Avengers 2 before they decided to go with Ultron instead.

garhkal
January 1st, 2015, 02:33 PM
I thought abomination was killed?

Scary Kitty
January 1st, 2015, 06:13 PM
A new trailer will premiere January 12 during the College Football Championship game on ESPN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOSgoawQ7DE

StargateMillennium
January 1st, 2015, 08:18 PM
I'm a DC fanboy and I WANT Age of Ultron to be good. The sequel has some pretty big shoes to fill and Ultron looks absolutely SICK.

And, as a DC fanboy, I'm afraid that DC will rush out their Justice League movies in an attempt to compete and make them all crappy as a result.

DigiFluid
January 2nd, 2015, 12:20 PM
I thought abomination was killed?

Nah, remember, Hulk stopped strangling him with a chain when he saw the pleading look from Betty? He's in custody somewhere. This was actually also confirmed in the 'The Consultant' one-shot, when Coulson and Sitwell sabotaged the World Security Council's plan to make him one of the Avengers by sending Tony Stark to talk to General Ross--knowing that Stark's attitude would put Ross completely off.

IIRC he also got a mention in SHIELD, but don't quote me on that. I could be imagining things :D

Replicator Todd
January 3rd, 2015, 08:30 AM
I'd love to see some characters and actors from TIH actually return! Abomination was mentioned in SHIELD, so he still exists at least.

Starsaber
January 5th, 2015, 07:59 AM
IIRC he also got a mention in SHIELD, but don't quote me on that. I could be imagining things :D

Someone was threatened with being assigned to the remote prison Abomination was in. Of course, with everything that happened to SHIELD, who knows where he is now.

garhkal
January 5th, 2015, 02:09 PM
At what point in the avengers film, was that person threatened? I have seen it three times now and can't recall it.

DigiFluid
January 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM
SHIELD, not Avengers :)

Teddybrown
January 13th, 2015, 07:08 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/13/second-avengers-age-of-ultron-trailer-iron-man-hulk
Can't put the trailer direct as I'm on my tablet, but here's a link to the new trailer

txlucky1
January 15th, 2015, 02:50 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/13/second-avengers-age-of-ultron-trailer-iron-man-hulk
Can't put the trailer direct as I'm on my tablet, but here's a link to the new trailer

Looks to be an exciting movie. Can't wait.

Morgania
January 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM
So, how much time has passed between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2?

garhkal
January 16th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I am more wondering how long between Winter soldier and this..

Teddybrown
March 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVEC1YGLK4

Just when you thought they couldnt make us more excited and psyched, they produce this...

garhkal
March 5th, 2015, 02:40 PM
That sums up my thoughts too!

Its turning out to be another movie (like Jupiter ascending) i have to see in the theater!

Ikorni
March 7th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I always thought this was going to be a summer release, but now...it's in April? :eek:

Not that I'm complaining...

Teddybrown
March 20th, 2015, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WM915QsOyI

Extended TV preview.

Teddybrown
April 7th, 2015, 02:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpazy0BHzxY&feature=player_embedded

Last trailer before the movie!

Starship Trooper
April 9th, 2015, 09:51 AM
OK, so. Release date is 23 April here. One of our local cinemas is doing a movie marathon beginning 22 April with Avengers, Winter Soldier, and then the Ultron premiere screening at midnight.

So guess who has tickets? I am SO ready for this. :D

Teddybrown
April 9th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Hoping to catch this pretty soon so I can keep up with AOS. Wonder how theyll tie in...

Teddybrown
April 14th, 2015, 07:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3h_PmaiKMM

New clip

garhkal
April 14th, 2015, 10:28 PM
16 days to go. Can't wait!

Starship Trooper
April 23rd, 2015, 09:57 AM
Saw it at midnight last night. :D

I really enjoyed it. The one thing Marvel has been good about is not overdoing it with their sequels and falling victim to the same problems as movies like Spiderman II, or X-Men II, or any number of other superhero sequels not Marvel-produced, where they don't know how to make it bigger without just throwing more bad guys at it in a convoluted mess. I was afraid that Age of Ultron would be the one that finally went down this path because Avengers is such a hard act to follow - but not so. This is a very solid film, and surprisingly funny! It's not without its flaws though.

I'm definitely going to go see it again!

Cairistiona
April 23rd, 2015, 12:58 PM
Just watched it. I'm a big Marvel fangirl and I really enjoyed it. It had everything I like: great characters and all of them had their moment, humour, lots of action of course, and Nick Fury ;)

I'm going to watch it again on Monday!

garhkal
April 23rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Exqueese me. BUT how the heck did you 2 see it already?

jelgate
April 23rd, 2015, 02:02 PM
Europe probably had it released first like most movies

garhkal
April 23rd, 2015, 11:01 PM
I just checked and Avengers 2 has already been released pretty much everywhere BUT the US. Only 2 countries get it after us, China and Japan.
I am getting sick and tired of this, to the point i am seriously considering boycotting ANY movie release at the theaters, and only catching them once they hit redbox or my local library.

Starship Trooper
April 24th, 2015, 01:02 AM
I just checked and Avengers 2 has already been released pretty much everywhere BUT the US. Only 2 countries get it after us, China and Japan.
I am getting sick and tired of this, to the point i am seriously considering boycotting ANY movie release at the theaters, and only catching them once they hit redbox or my local library.

Why? Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Up until recently, the US would get everything first. My entire childhood I had to wait weeks before the films I wanted to see got released where I lived. Marvel's film production unit is now based in London. Joss lives there too, now. If anything, the US release date is chosen much more carefully because the audience is so much bigger.

Who cares if you're first in line? Just go and enjoy it. :D

PS: These films are really meant to be seen in 3D on the big screen. It would be a shame not to have that experience.

jelgate
April 24th, 2015, 04:37 AM
Why? Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Up until recently, the US would get everything first. My entire childhood I had to wait weeks before the films I wanted to see got released where I lived. Marvel's film production unit is now based in London. Joss lives there too, now. If anything, the US release date is chosen much more carefully because the audience is so much bigger.
Who cares if you're first in line? Just go and enjoy it. :D

PS: These films are really meant to be seen in 3D on the big screen. It would be a shame not to have that experience.
You nailed it perfectly. I used to get annoyed/confused why most movies were released internationally before the domestic release. Its a publicity stunt. Movie studios release international first to have Europeans use social media to spread interest to North Americans. They make up the majority of the potential audience for these movies.

As for boycotting movies, that is a waste of time. Most people don't know/don't care that Europe watches first. It would achieve nothing and you would only be hurting yourself

Cairistiona
April 24th, 2015, 06:58 AM
In my country it was supposed to be released on the 30th, but it was brought forward sometime during January. On the other hand we got the last ep of season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on free TV only last Saturday.

garhkal
April 24th, 2015, 02:55 PM
You nailed it perfectly. I used to get annoyed/confused why most movies were released internationally before the domestic release. Its a publicity stunt. Movie studios release international first to have Europeans use social media to spread interest to North Americans. They make up the majority of the potential audience for these movies.

But they also make up the biggest chunk of film piracy too.

jelgate
April 24th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Torrents and other like minded sites aren't going to change no matter how a studio releases a film. Its a completely different subject

Teddybrown
April 25th, 2015, 08:09 AM
So does this mean the next Agents of SHIELD may contain Age of Ultron spoilers?

Starsaber
April 25th, 2015, 10:35 AM
So does this mean the next Agents of SHIELD may contain Age of Ultron spoilers?

It'll probably have a scene from Age of Ultron as its "post credits scene" like they did for Winter Soldier last year. The following week is the one that's more likely to have Age of Ultron spoilers.

P-90_177
April 25th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Saw the film last night. Personally I thought it was awesome! I can see where some might not like it. But yeah, definitely well worth waiting for!

ZRFTS
May 2nd, 2015, 01:03 AM
Avengers: Age of Ultron

Destroy & Rebuild; that seems to be the theme for The Avengers films. You have a rag-tag team who's perfect when combined with each other broken apart then brought together than broken apart in order to face whichever foe with impossible odds might come after them. In this case it's Ultor.

I've seen the first movie and seen how good it was in a packed theater; it's main flaw was that it was only good in a packed theater. This one seems to fix most of the flaws in order to provide a cohesive product. Case in point, the jokes are better, the dialog is better and there's more of an urgency to everything. The theater I went to was not as packed but it still provided a bunch of laughs, a bunch of enjoyment and a feeling that I was enjoying an event.

The story here is an interesting take in that it combines comic book sensibilities with movie flair. You've got tons of common cinematic foreshadowing like devices that may seem unimportant but come into play later on and the difference is that the story is so good, you don't even notice because you're caught up in the movie itself. There is a difference between obvious and subtle that when you realize, you're rewarded. The story here may be a bit common; AI learns of humanity's flaws and decides to take it out but here's where it gets different... It actually focuses a bit on the character and gives him traits like superiority, evolution, dialogue on humanity and even a few jokes here and there and those jokes continue the tradition of mixing in light with dark themes.

It may seem disappointing but as it goes on you'll realize that this is comic book goodness at it's finest and a classic for the ages. Ultor is the appropriate foe for the Avengers to be pitted against and even though it may mimick the first movie at times, it provides some interesting tricks and diversions to make it feel unique. Part of the benefit is that the initial tension between the characters are gone and since we've come to know them as a team, we get to enjoy the fights between them more; that and the fights between themselves are shorter. The action sequences are better than the first movie with more creative situations, more high-risk stakes and well foes that manage to make the fights feel tough and hopeless with just a bit of hope in there. In addition you also get to see the return of several things that made The Avengers what they were but in the context of the story.

What is the context of the story; it's that humanity may have it's flaws but we always find ways to work them out/humanity is not worthless. The Twins showcase that with their initial alignment to the enemy (due to prenotioned pasts and fears) and subsequent side-switching afterwards. To be honest I like Quicksilver better in "X-Men: Day's of Future Past" but he plays a good job here and the mind control girl (apologies if I can't remember names) really showcases heroism at it's finest. The fact that they're portrayed as one character really makes the whole thing unique and makes us care for both of them. It's them that allow the Avengers to face their worst and it's them that allow the Avengers to face their best.

Did I mention, cinematography and visual effects are awesome. Due to Josh Whedon's established status; no amount of budget was spared and everything was given top priority from the effects in the beginning to the experimentation afforded in the middle of the movie (let's just say they experiment with the lighting, colors and angles a bit) to the dialog scenes which really help to lighten the mood as well as progress the characters at the same time. Without those scenes, it would of made the action a bit baseless and I commend them for including it. People complain that Marvel is all comedy, no grit but if it were all grit, it would be a turnoff...

The big blockbusters always have a bit of effort put into them and this is no exception; in fact if it weren't for Josh Whedon we wouldn't get insightful commentary about the human race, we wouldn't get to see what makes us compassionate and what makes us irrational and we wouldn't get to see the type of differences that makes us what we are. If anything, the slight weak point has to be the Bruce Banner/Black Widow romance that seems somewhat forced but then again, I have seen thousands of films per say; I however do commend them for making the romance unique and two-sided and I also commend them for making this film stand out from the pack. I'll go as far as to say that Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be as good as this phase has been; I'm serious, no film has ever disappointed. Not even geek cult classic Guardians of the Galaxy.

5/5

DigiFluid
May 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Saw it last night. Enjoyed, but it seemed a little disjointed at times. Supposedly Whedon's original cut was somewhere around the 3-hour mark, so perhaps that's why it felt like things were missing. I hear the BD release will be an extended cut, so perhaps that'll feel a bit more streamlined.

That said though, I still thought it was a fun movie.

The opening sequence felt very G.I. Joe (the good cartoon, not the crap movies)--the team was meshing wonderfully right from the outset, without having to build them into the team. I especially liked how much more integrated Banner was with the team this time around, as opposed to how he kept himself at arm's length in the first Avengers movie.

And, man, that Hulk/Hulkbuster fight--how crazy was that? We've seen the Hulk plenty of times before, but I think this might've been his 'purest' rage-smash Hulk-out so far, and it was awesome to see Tony in the Hulkbuster duking it out with him.

It was also good to finally see a secondary character, Clint/Hawkeye, finally get a bit more backstory exposition. As soon as they started talking love and how he's needed, I figured he would die, but I was pleasantly surprised that he lived and was able to go home at the end. Bonus points that they seem to know Natasha very well too.

Rotten shame that they neglected Natasha's backstory though. We got a few Scarlet Witch-induced vision/flashback hints that were well tied in to the Red Room from Agent Carter, but it still felt like she was woefully underused to me. It boggles my mind that Marvel still is not pursuing a Black Widow origin movie, when the material seen in this movie, as well as that alluded to in both Agent Carter and the first Avengers movie, is so damned compelling.

My biggest other complaint probably relates to Spader/Ultron himself. It was a good character, even though it seems like a lot of motivation exposition might've been left on the editing room floor. And I really dig how Spader made the character so quirky, but again, it felt like stuff was missing. The worst part, though, is the CGI for Ultron himself. He's supposed to be a metal machine, but the CGI makes him look like he's built from rubber. Very poor work there IMO--it looked like the CGI we'd expect from a movie 10-15 years ago. Put it this way: the Transformers from the terrible Michael Bay movies looked more convincingly metal than Ultron did, and that's just embarrassing.

To steer back to the positive, though, I loved the introduction of the Vision. The fact that his addition to the MCU was spoiled a bit by promo material, for me, did nothing to detract from the power and awe of his 'birth.' The fractured Avengers having a spat, only for the MIA Thor to come bursting in and infuse Vision with the power of Thor. And then, his 'mission'...very cool. I think he's going to be a game-changer for the universe, and I can't wait to see what he has to do in the Infinity War movies.

As to the other newcomers, I have some mixed feelings. Quicksilver was interesting, but they did so little with his character that his sacrifice felt completely meaningless to me. It wasn't a wrenching moment for me, though I expect it was meant to be. Scarlet Witch, on the other hand, I found to be better done. Her actions and motivations felt clearer, as did her evolution as a character.

One last note: THE HELICARRIER! FINALLY! :D

In all, a fun movie. But there was definitely room for improvement.

Incidentally, has anyone said yet how many films they've signed Elizabeth Olsen on for?

Gen. Chris
May 4th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Saw it, loved it, will see it again tomorrow.

Gen. Chris
May 4th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Oh I have a question. How big of a lead in to Age of Ultron were the recent episodes of Agents of Shield? I don't need specifics but I felt like there was more to the story then I was getting since I have neglected to watch the last few episodes.

garhkal
May 4th, 2015, 02:05 PM
For those who have seen it.
Is it worth shelling the extra bucks to see it in 3d over 2d?

DigiFluid
May 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Oh I have a question. How big of a lead in to Age of Ultron were the recent episodes of Agents of Shield? I don't need specifics but I felt like there was more to the story then I was getting since I have neglected to watch the last few episodes.

It's nowhere near the level of crossover as with Winter Soldier, but the last few scenes in last week's SHIELD set up the opening sequence of Age of Ultron. That's about it.

As to how much AoU influences upcoming SHIELD episodes, we'll just have to see!

Gen. Chris
May 4th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Damn, I wished I watched it. But I am seeing it again this weekend so I will be sure to catch myself and my girlfriend up before then since she has not seen it yet.

garhkal
May 5th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Well i decided to just go with the 2d version...

Loves - Hawkeye/barton's furthering of his character. Man his house was nice! And kids? Who knew.
Widow's dreaming about her past, and her revelation to Banner that she can't have kids. How sad.
Wanda's use of her powers to mess with everyone, then doing it on Ultron's vision (the vision).
VISION!!!!!! And war machine.
The Heli carrier! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

dislikes - quicksilver's death.

Teddybrown
May 6th, 2015, 04:23 AM
Ok, now that episode 2.20 of Agents of SHIELD has aired, does it contain any Ultron spoilers?

Teddybrown
May 26th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Finally seen this! Now to avoid spoilers for one more day to catch up on Agents of SHIELD.

Then I can browse to my hearts content! But definitely need to rewatch this...

garhkal
September 11th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Just thought.

Does anyone know HOW they got thor back for their team up? Or was he still on earth after the events of Thor 2?

Gatefan1976
September 12th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Just thought.

Does anyone know HOW they got thor back for their team up? Or was he still on earth after the events of Thor 2?

Bifrost seems to be fixed sometime between Avengers and Dark world, so as long as they have some way of communicating with him (Heimdall perhaps) it shouldn't be an issue.

garhkal
September 13th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Also, since now both this and Xmen days of future past have had the male Maximoff (quicksilver), who's got the rights to him, since he died in A2..

Teddybrown
September 14th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Just thought.

I got the impression he was still on Earth after Thor 2.

And to the above question, I'm guessing Fox must still have them as he's appearing in X Men Apocalypse...

Gatefan1976
September 14th, 2015, 04:13 AM
I got the impression he was still on Earth after Thor 2.

Really?
Why for you think that?

Starsaber
September 14th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Also, since now both this and Xmen days of future past have had the male Maximoff (quicksilver), who's got the rights to him, since he died in A2..

The twins are sort of in a gray area where both companies can use them. They just can't be mutants in the Disney/Marvel movies.

Teddybrown
September 14th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Really?
Why for you think that?

Wasnt the end scene of Thor 2 Thor going back to Earth to be with Jane?

Starsaber
September 14th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Wasnt the end scene of Thor 2 Thor going back to Earth to be with Jane?

Yes. The one at the very end, not the mid-credits one that set up Guardians of the Galaxy.