• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Will Face My Enemy (204)

Visit the Episode GuideAGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - SEASON TWO
    I WILL FACE MY ENEMY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 204
    Agents Coulson and May go under cover at a high-society party to steal a painting that has a mysterious connection to Coulson's ailment. But the arrival of General Talbot complicates their mission, and calls the General's loyalties into question.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 15 October 2014, 08:58 PM.

Loved, loved, LOVED this episode! I don't even know where to begin. I watched it just once, but I will be watching it many more times!!! My thoughts - in no particular order:
    --Coulson and May looking gorgeous together. "I really like that dress."
    --Love how Coulson is trying to be playful and get May to enjoy the mission like the old days. Makes me think of the season 1 ep Repairs where Coulson explains to Skye how May used to be different.
    --Nice fake-out with Talbot. My first thought was, "Damn! HYDRA got to Talbot!" But thinking more about it, I don't think HYDRA could pull it off. I mean, Talbot has made it his mission to take down HYDRA and SHIELD (at least those who were corrupt within SHIELD) and if Dr. Whitehall controlled Talbot and he was no longer hunting HYDRA - someone would suspect something.
    --Very nice use of the image-imitator (I don't know what it's called) from Captain America: Winter Soldier.
    --I. LOVE. MING-NA WEN. She deserves all the prizes for this ep. I'm so glad she got an episode like this to really showcase her character and her talents. May undercover involves laughing (the team's reaction to her laughter was priceless), dancing, and big-time flirting - some of it in Spanish. Skye's line about May saying more words than she's heard from her in a year was hilarious. (Did anyone think that May's undercover personality bears a striking resemblance to Ming-Na's personality?) But we also got to see how May hates undercover ("My face hurts." And her offer of $500 to be able to ditch her heels.) And the old no-nonsense May is still in there somewhere: {as she walks thru the laser grid} "They already know we're here." Ming-Na Wen not only got to be undercover, but we got to see her play a baddie, then a baddie trying to impersonate May (all while looking gorgeous). Beyond that - you get to see both those Mays fight each other. And Coulson actually says, "I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this!"
    --Of course Coulson ended up seeing through the imposter. And May knew he would and asked what tipped him off. So fun to see Clark Gregg and Ming-Na Wen get to have a fight scene without it being Coulson and May fighting.
    --Just when my Philinda shipping heart thought it couldn't take anymore, we got the last scene between Coulson and May where he is still trying to get her to talk about a plan in case he goes crazy like Garrett. I was stunned when May showed him the go-bag - ready for them to just pick up and leave. Her conviction in promising she would take care of him was AWESOME. And his acknowledgment of what an amazing gesture that is...and his refusal to accept it just about killed me. I love that Coulson is clear-headed and dedicated to SHIELD enough to insist that May put him down if he goes crazy and want her to take over as leader because he trusts only her. I know that a romantic relationship between Coulson and May is highly unlikely - certainly the way things stand in the story arcs going on - but the portrayal of their strong bond throughout this episode - from their reminiscing to their trust/dedication to each other made my heart go pitter pat.
    --The painting is proof that someone else in the world is writing in the same alien language. Oooh...more players to add into the mix!
    --Skye isn't able to leave the alien writing alone. Based on the first few eps of Sesason 2 I thought she was really following through as the obedient soldier. But she is sure that something is wrong with Coulson although he won't say anything and neither will May. Will there be a confrontation between them?
    --Cool to see HYDRA grab Raina. Based on the promo, it seems that Raina is focusing on doing what Skye's father wants (bringing Skye to him) as opposed to trying to bring the obelisk to Dr. Whitehall. Is it that she fears Skye's father more? Or she thinks Skye's father has the answers to her questions and that's more important than Dr. Whitehall's threats? Or maybe she thinks that Skye's father counteract the deadline Whitehall has given/put on Raina? I've very intrigued about what happens next!
    --So nice to see Fitz taking the first steps towards integrating with the team again. I know everyone wants Fitz to be OK again, but I think it would be amazing for the writers to leave Fitz this way. How often do you see a character go through something like this? I think Iain De Caestecker is doing an amazing job with Fitz. I can't wait to see what it will be like when Jemma finally returns to the team. And I hope she is returning soon. Just like Skye, I'm very worried about our dear Jemma in HYDRA!

Can't wait to rewatch this again and again!!!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

I forgot to ask - does anyone have the translation of the few Spanish lines in the ep??? May says, "I'm all about giving." Upon repeated listenings, I *think* May says, "I think it is better than receiving. Don't you agree?" He says something like, "Oh, I agree" but I can't make out the rest of his line.

Did I mention how much I love this ep?!?!?
      sigpic

Comment

Pretty good episode, funny to see May vs May...

Wonder whether May will go through with the plan if it comes to it though...

Looking forward to seeing where this season is going!

Comment

Loved the May vs May scene. That two legged drop kick was badass. Loved the Captain America tie in with the face tech. The entire episode was good overall.

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
            Loved, loved, LOVED this episode! I don't even know where to begin. I watched it just once, but I will be watching it many more times!!! My thoughts - in no particular order:
            --Coulson and May looking gorgeous together. "I really like that dress."
            --Love how Coulson is trying to be playful and get May to enjoy the mission like the old days. Makes me think of the season 1 ep Repairs where Coulson explains to Skye how May used to be different.
            The whole first 5-10 min or so with Coulson and may working together was just pure bliss. Wish we could get more of that, and i would love to see this show use the 'flashbacks' so common in others, to get a little more back story on the characters, like they did a few times with Ward.

--Nice fake-out with Talbot. My first thought was, "Damn! HYDRA got to Talbot!" But thinking more about it, I don't think HYDRA could pull it off. I mean, Talbot has made it his mission to take down HYDRA and SHIELD (at least those who were corrupt within SHIELD) and if Dr. Whitehall controlled Talbot and he was no longer hunting HYDRA - someone would suspect something.
            I feared the worst till i saw the 'image imitator' pull off the guy. BUT i wonder when they got ahold of Talbot and copied his DNA and voice into that masker? As we saw when they tried to do May's, they needed some of her blood to 'configure it'.

--I. LOVE. MING-NA WEN. She deserves all the prizes for this ep. I'm so glad she got an episode like this to really showcase her character and her talents. May undercover involves laughing (the team's reaction to her laughter was priceless), dancing, and big-time flirting - some of it in Spanish. Skye's line about May saying more words than she's heard from her in a year was hilarious. (Did anyone think that May's undercover personality bears a striking resemblance to Ming-Na's personality?) But we also got to see how May hates undercover ("My face hurts." And her offer of $500 to be able to ditch her heels.) And the old no-nonsense May is still in there somewhere: {as she walks thru the laser grid} "They already know we're here." Ming-Na Wen not only got to be undercover, but we got to see her play a baddie, then a baddie trying to impersonate May (all while looking gorgeous). Beyond that - you get to see both those Mays fight each other. And Coulson actually says, "I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this!"
            The May vs May fight was pure awesomeness!. Though i wonder are both of them dead? The imposter (agent 33) now knows that Coulson is the new director.!

--Just when my Philinda shipping heart thought it couldn't take anymore, we got the last scene between Coulson and May where he is still trying to get her to talk about a plan in case he goes crazy like Garrett. I was stunned when May showed him the go-bag - ready for them to just pick up and leave. Her conviction in promising she would take care of him was AWESOME. And his acknowledgment of what an amazing gesture that is...and his refusal to accept it just about killed me. I love that Coulson is clear-headed and dedicated to SHIELD enough to insist that May put him down if he goes crazy and want her to take over as leader because he trusts only her. I know that a romantic relationship between Coulson and May is highly unlikely - certainly the way things stand in the story arcs going on - but the portrayal of their strong bond throughout this episode - from their reminiscing to their trust/dedication to each other made my heart go pitter pat.
            It does show she is getting more into this character than she seemed with Camile Wray. And i would love more of the backstory for these 2..

--The painting is proof that someone else in the world is writing in the same alien language. Oooh...more players to add into the mix!
            BUT why was only a small portion of it there? Did he start, but have to leave? Who is he??

--Skye isn't able to leave the alien writing alone. Based on the first few eps of Sesason 2 I thought she was really following through as the obedient soldier. But she is sure that something is wrong with Coulson although he won't say anything and neither will May. Will there be a confrontation between them?
            I am wondering if she is thinking after wards admission of her father being alive, that deciphering the glyphs would bring her to more understanding of her status..

--Cool to see HYDRA grab Raina. Based on the promo, it seems that Raina is focusing on doing what Skye's father wants (bringing Skye to him) as opposed to trying to bring the obelisk to Dr. Whitehall. Is it that she fears Skye's father more? Or she thinks Skye's father has the answers to her questions and that's more important than Dr. Whitehall's threats? Or maybe she thinks that Skye's father counteract the deadline Whitehall has given/put on Raina? I've very intrigued about what happens next!
            I was hating that they found her so easy. Makes you wonder what they got tracking her down?

--So nice to see Fitz taking the first steps towards integrating with the team again. I know everyone wants Fitz to be OK again, but I think it would be amazing for the writers to leave Fitz this way. How often do you see a character go through something like this? I think Iain De Caestecker is doing an amazing job with Fitz. I can't wait to see what it will be like when Jemma finally returns to the team. And I hope she is returning soon. Just like Skye, I'm very worried about our dear Jemma in HYDRA!!
            It was nice head-jemma got him convinced to join in, and that the 2 guys welcomed him as one of the team. BUT i would like to see him back to his normal self soon.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              The whole first 5-10 min or so with Coulson and may working together was just pure bliss. Wish we could get more of that, and i would love to see this show use the 'flashbacks' so common in others, to get a little more back story on the characters, like they did a few times with Ward.
              I have now rewatched the episode and all the Coulson and May bits (together and separate) are my favorites. It would be great to do some sort of flashback so we could find out about Bahrain and how she got the nickname The Cavalry. Also, I'd love another opportunity to see May's mother again.

The May vs May fight was pure awesomeness!. Though i wonder are both of them dead? The imposter (agent 33) now knows that Coulson is the new director.!
              I'm not absolutely sure Bakshi (the assistant to Dr. Whitehall) knew Coulson was director. I think only Agent 33 found out while pretending to be May and I don't think there was an opportunity for her to tell Bakshi before Coulson figured out she wasn't May and lots of fighting happened. If Agent 33 lived, she would probably pass the info on to Bakshi. However, maybe the short-circuiting of Agent 33's face caused the programming to also fail? I'm pretty sure Coulson shot Bakshi with an ICER, so we haven't seen the last of him. I suppose we'll have to wait and see about Agent 33.

It does show she is getting more into this character than she seemed with Camile Wray. And i would love more of the backstory for these 2.
              I never got addicted to Stargate Universe the way I am with Agents of SHIELD, though I did like it. I honestly think that Ming-Na Wen has been given more to play as Melinda May than she had as Camile Wray.

{Referring to the alien writing on the back of the painting}
              BUT why was only a small portion of it there? Did he start, but have to leave? Who is he??
              Very good questions. Garrett noticed the glass doors on the lab and decided to use a nail to scratch out the alien language. Coulson decided to grab a knife and carve into the wall. Did this other person feel compelled to carve as well? Was the back of the painting the only viable option? The painting was the only thing that survived the fire in the church. Did the alien writing somehow change the painting, causing it to be fireproof? How did the fire start? Was it an accident or did someone set the place on fire on purpose? Was someone trying to destroy the painting? Or were they trying to call attention to the painting?

{answering my question about why Skye won't let the alien writing go}
              I am wondering if she is thinking after wards admission of her father being alive, that deciphering the glyphs would bring her to more understanding of her status.
              Very interesting theory.

It was nice head-jemma got him convinced to join in, and that the 2 guys welcomed him as one of the team. BUT i would like to see him back to his normal self soon.
              Part of me wants Fitz back to normal, but part of me just loves Iain De Caestecker's portrayal of Damaged!Fitz. And I love the very unlikely pairing of Fitz and Mack. By the way, I like the Lance Hunter character, but I think he is my least favorite character this season.
              sigpic

Comment

I was watching this episode and actually fell asleep (long work day) while watching this episode. Would anyone mind giving me a summary of what happened. It can be a PM or in this thread. Thank you
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Rare painting with alien writing on the back survives a fire.

Hydra and Shield both go after the painting during high end party showing of the painting.

May and Coulson dance the forbidden dance and then steal the painting before hydra can.

Hydra tricks shield into bringing them the painting by having agent pose as May.

Fake May fights real May and Coulson gets off by watching the fight but he has to run off after a hydra agent before the fight ends.

Real May beats fake May. Coulson gets the painting back.

Fitz bonds with the guys in the way real men do, by talking about women and drinking beer.

Hydra puts a a murder device on flower dress lady and tells her she is going to die in 48 hours if she doesn't return the alien obelisk

Coulson tells May to kill him if he goes mad like Garret did. May is like I'll just buy you a house in some other country where you can chill out. Coulson is like no May you put a bullet in my head and change your name to May Fury Reign. So May might be the new director of shield once she kills her boss.

Comment

Funny synopsis Baron of Hell. One thing - HYDRA got the painting before Coulson and May could and it was HYDRA that tricked Coulson into coming to them.

Jelgate - I wish you'd just go back and watch the full episode. I honestly think it is one of the best all-around eps of the series so far - plenty of action, comedy, intrigue and feels.
                    sigpic

Comment

Part of me wants Fitz back to normal, but part of me just loves Iain De Caestecker's portrayal of Damaged!Fitz. And I love the very unlikely pairing of Fitz and Mack. By the way, I like the Lance Hunter character, but I think he is my least favorite character this season.
                      I'll agree, he is doing a bang up job with the role, but i still would like him back to full health.. Sooner rather than later.

Comment

I'll agree, he is doing a bang up job with the role, but i still would like him back to full health.. Sooner rather than later.
                        I agree. His situation adds a note of realism to the show, but this is a superhero show and I'm not so sure having one of the heros deal with this kind of pain adds anything to this type of show.

And I agree that this was a much needed improvement over Episode 3. I still see no reason for Hunter though. All his character is doing is pushing Trip to the background. I have no idea why they are doing that. I hoped Ward would become a villain who showed up from time to time and Trip would fill his role. Instead Ward is in the basement and Hunter is pushing Trip out. It seems strange that they are so desperate for us to like an accept this new character when the role he brings to the table is essentially identical to Trip, only not as nice a guy. I guess it comes down to the requirement that there be a lovable scoundrel. Personally I am sick of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                          I agree. His situation adds a note of realism to the show, but this is a superhero show and I'm not so sure having one of the heros deal with this kind of pain adds anything to this type of show.

And I agree that this was a much needed improvement over Episode 3. I still see no reason for Hunter though. All his character is doing is pushing Trip to the background. I have no idea why they are doing that. I hoped Ward would become a villain who showed up from time to time and Trip would fill his role. Instead Ward is in the basement and Hunter is pushing Trip out. It seems strange that they are so desperate for us to like an accept this new character when the role he brings to the table is essentially identical to Trip, only not as nice a guy. I guess it comes down to the requirement that there be a lovable scoundrel. Personally I am sick of them.
                          Funny, I don't think of the show as a "superhero" show. Actually, I think that was a tag line when the show first premiered - "not all heroes are super" or something like that. They were trying to make it clear from the start that you weren't going to be seeing the Avengers dropping by every week...and I was totally fine with that. (Granted - I was one of the very few people in the world who hadn't seen any of the Marvel movies before watching the show. I showed up for Ming-Na Wen and knowing that Joss Whedon was a co-creator.) That being said, since these people aren't superheros, I love what they are doing with Fitz so far this season. I like that there are consequences. We don't get full resolutions at the end of every 42-minute episode.

As for Lance Hunter, I will give a small spoiler about A Hen In The Wolfhouse (season 2 episode 5) which was screened yesterday at PaleyFest:

Spoiler:
                          I never thought Hunter and Trip brought the same things to the table, but based on what I saw in ep 5, you can be sure that these characters are on the show for different reasons.

In some ways I like the way the team has opened up with these other characters, but it does make it hard when you don't get enough of your favorite character(s). But I'm still basking in the delight of this wonderful May-centric episode.

By the way - did the episode title change? I think it was called I Will Face My Enemy, but it shows up in iTunes as Face My Enemy.
                          sigpic

Comment

I would also like more back story on some of the other faces.. such as tripp, and the other black guy (can never remember his name)

Comment

I would also like more back story on some of the other faces.. such as tripp, and the other black guy (can never remember his name)
                              I agree - I'd love to know more backstory on Tripp and Mack.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X