• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot of Sherwood (3403/803)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 34
    ROBOT OF SHERWOOD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3403 (803)
    The Doctor takes Clara to twelfth-century Sherwood Forest and is surprised to see that Robin Hood is more than a myth -- and that the Sheriff of Nottingham has struck a dark bargain with visitors from the sky.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 07 September 2014, 08:22 PM.

Shame the Sheriff didnt get sent to Missy. But it seems the only people who get sent to her are the ones the Doctor killed.

The Sherieff's death was strange , did he climb out?

the robots are beginning to annoy me, the Laws anyone??
    Last edited by GodAtum; 06 September 2014, 11:49 AM.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Where have I seen the "sword vs. spoon" thing before? It's naggingly familiar...

And can we please move on from the whole "splitting an arrow with another arrow" cliché? It's been proved to be impossible, by the Mythbusters no less.
      Last edited by BruTak; 06 September 2014, 11:32 AM. Reason: Typo.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

No, not Lincoln! I live near there (eight and a quarter centuries after the fact, but still...).

Average. Some decent Gatiss wit but a weak and largely nonsensical plot. Anybody else get a bit of a Fires of Pompeii vibe (aliens crash in the past, make a pact with locals to make futuristic circuitry from primitive materials)?

Liking Twelve a lot more now.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Well, that was a fun story.

Heres details on what was cut
          http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/robot-o...-cut-66300.htm

Looks like the Promised Land will feature like Missy...

Comment

Mixed feelings on this one. It was pretty fun and a little silly but I don't think the revelation that Robin was really real worked. It subverted the expectation the episode has built which is a good idea but then I felt the episode was only really getting away with the Robin Hood clichés because of the unstated excuse that it wasn't really real.

Anyone know what I mean?
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
              Mixed feelings on this one. It was pretty fun and a little silly but I don't think the revelation that Robin was really real worked. It subverted the expectation the episode has built which is a good idea but then I felt the episode was only really getting away with the Robin Hood clichés because of the unstated excuse that it wasn't really real.

Anyone know what I mean?
              Entirely agree. I know this is Doctor Who and as such not to be taken too seriously, but Robin was such a collection of improbable cliches I couldn't buy him as a real person. I was half expecting the Doctor to mutter something like "Costner was more believable".

EDIT: BruTak, I think one of the recent Zorro films did something similar.

Also, I enjoyed Ben Miller's Sheriff but the golden arrow resolution felt forced and nonsensical.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Now, was it just me, or did the actor playing Friar Tuck look remarkably like his counterpart from the 1973 Disney movie?
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I really enjoyed this ep. It's the first time that I actually looked at Capaldi and saw him AS the Doctor...

I can forgive the cliche stuff as frankly the dialogue at the end made it clear that Robin was putting on a show deliberately...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Nice change, unexpected for some by the looks of the first few posts here.
                    From the beginning I could tell that Robin Hood was real!
                    Or was I just hoping that for a change it wasn't a contrived explanation?
                    Maybe it helps the plot of the series too with the conversation at the end with Robin Hood.
                    This Doctor may take a while to find himself.
                    This series will be interesting but next will be amazing!

I actually LOL'ed at the start after the arrow hit the TARDIS and Robin spoke!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post

Anyone know what I mean?
                      I think I do, yes. Not sure, if I agree though. But same here with the mixed feelings. I thought the plot was utter nonsense. Not in the good way - the it's Doctor-who-of-course-it's-nonsense, but poorly thought through. But Robin and the Doctor babbeling about, tring to impress Clara, etc. was just hilarious. And the costumes and actors where a feast to the eye. Lot's of cliches, but I always love it if a story playes with cliches (at least if it's done well).
                      I liked the dialouge between Robin and the Doctor at the end. Bit cheasy though, but reminded my a little af 11 talking to sleeping Amy: We're all storys in the end. I like the dynamic between Clara and the Doctor (though Clara gets a little too theatcher-ish sometimes).

To be brief: However poor the story, I had good fun.

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                      Now, was it just me, or did the actor playing Friar Tuck look remarkably like his counterpart from the 1973 Disney movie?
                      No, I thoght so too. Even Robin looked a little foxy. I half expected a picture from the disney movie, when the Doctor was showing Robin, he were nothing but a legend.
                      Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

A Robin Hood story has always been rollicking fun
                        sigpic

Comment

I was not a fan of this episode, and while I still enjoy the show I'm still struggling with Capaldi as the Doctor. I'm hoping this moody and seemingly unhappy Doctor is leading up to something...
                          sigpic

Comment

I literally laughed out loud at the arrow splitting scene - yes, it was getting silly.
                            sigpic

Comment

I did enjoy this episode. It was so much fun. Admittedly the plot was very thin and the ending contrived, but there were many other things to enjoy.

The whole episode was a homage to The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn, a film I loved to watch with my late Father. I loved seeing the brief pic of Patrick Troughton and references to the whole thing being in a miniscope. Also didn't we briefly get a third Doctor "Hai" at one point? I loved the banter between the Doctor and Robin and the interaction between Clara and Robin.

I think this is the sort of episode I will watch again and again, particularly if I want cheering up. Oh, and my daughter wants Robin to be a permanent companion instead of Clara.

8/10 (and my favourite episode of series 8 so far)
                              Last edited by Blencathra; 07 September 2014, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X