This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Hammond does not like Jack O'Neill

It's questionable, but the reason I bring this up is I was recently watching the SG-1 episode 'A Hundred Days', and I realize that General Hammond doesn't much care for Jack. When Daniel Jackson suggests to the others that they contact an off-world ally to rescue Jack (who is stranded) by ship, General Hammond neither seems enthusiastic nor appreciative of the idea. In fact, he seems perturbed by Daniel Jackson's suggestion. The very fact of the matter is, Hammond is absolutely in deep disgust with the idea about retreiving Colonel O'Neill from his untimely fate in this episode of being stranded. He quickly declares him 'MIA' and gives up hope of rescuing him without so much as a how-dee-doo to the Tok'ra or Bra'tac or anyone.

That's harsh!

The fact is, in Hammond's position, you don't want to burn too many resources or owe too many favours looking for one individual, no matter how much he means to you!
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I think you are seeing things that weren't there and are misinterpreting other things. If Hammond didn't like Jack, he wouldn't have allowed Sam to spend three months building a particle accelerator to try and rescue him. Hammond didn't always show his emotions. He and Jack had a great friendship, as is shown in other episodes.

Comment

I think that in fact O'Neill and Hammond have a very warm relationship for a commanding officer and a subordinate. The fact is that Hammond trust O'Neill more than anyone, and I'm fairly sure it works both ways.

It was a little different in the first season. Both men clearly had respect for each other but I think that they were also a little unsure of what to make of themselves. This is of course pretty natural given that they were still getting to know what kind of man the other was, and you could tell that sometimes Hammond didn't quite appreciate O'Neill's quips, but nevertheless that's what happens early on in a working relationship.

The other thing to consider on the part of any trepidation Hammond may have shown, is that this episode is immediately before 'Shades of Grey' when O'Neill goes undercover to get among the ranks of the rogue NID operation. With this in mind, it must have been during this period when Hammond was under pressure by their off world allies to track down who was stealing their technology, and perhaps by now O'Neill and Hammond had already come up with the plan of pretending to go rogue. The prospect therefore of contacting allies to help would have been presented a grim notion, either from the point of view of jeopardizing the plan in some way, or in the sense of the Tok'ra, Tolan and Asgard being less than hapy with Earth at that time.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

They're military: they're trained to cope with what they perceive as loss and move on.
          Calling the Tok'ra and Bra'tac would've been making a big fuss out of something that may or may not be certain.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

If I remember correctly, the SGC did, in fact, contact the Tok'ra and the Tollan about sending a rescue vessel and were told it would likely take six months to get there, so he did authorize contacting them.

Comment

Working...
            X