• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mountain and the Viper (408)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON FOUR
    THE MOUNTAIN AND THE VIPER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 408
    The wildlings attack Mole's Town, while elsewhere Ramsay seeks to prove himself to his father -- with Theon's help. Littlefinger faces the leadership at the Vale, and Ser Jorah's secret is exposed to Daenerys. And Tyrion's fate is decided when Prince Oberyn faces the Mountain in combat.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 08 June 2014, 10:45 PM.

well that was interesting.
    I think I need to watch it again, when I can plug in the headphones and really hear. It's annoying but it's like HBO turns down the volume during the episode.

I do think I know the finale gobsmack moment.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Interesting yes.
      Looks like Gilly & the baby survive, & Ygrette is not all bad.
      Wonder if Dany has designs on Grey Worm now, she seems interested in just what he can do.
      Looks like she has found a traitor, but is he or is the letter a forgery?
      Theon should have snapped back into Greyjoy mode surely.
      Looks like Littlefinger is safe for now, but what happened with Arya? She arrived, but did she leave again without going in? Did she go in & will Sansa & Arya finally meet?
      Another good scene with Tyrion & Jamie, but I do not really understand the outcome of the duel.
      Yes The Viper died (we think) so Tyrion is guilty, but then the Mountain died (we think) so Tyrion is innocent. Or it should be called a draw & we should get two more combatants & try again for a clear-cut decision.
      Maybe that will come next episode, & maybe it will be Tyrion v Cersi, but I doubt it.
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

The viper is dead. The mountain crushed his head and he died first, so Tyrion is doomed.

It's interesting to have Sansa out herself. Because having her there can bring up the question of who killed Joff (course, she knows who killed Joff)

Then again the aerie is pretty unattackable but word will get back and she's a wanted woman.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode, but I was so sad to see Oberyn go. I really liked him. He's now left Elaria Sand "alone in this world," and I wonder what happens to her. Maybe we'll get some follow up in Dorne, especially since Marcella is there. It couldn't hurt to see what's going on a bit there.

Maybe Jamie can still help Tyrion in some way. Didn't he ask him before to let him out, perhaps with no other options that might happen in some way. I do hope he gets out of this somehow. There's a major death coming; I'm sure of it (and Oberyn was bad enough, sniff). It seems to happen near the end of every season (Ned Stark, The Red Wedding). I just don't want it to be Tyrion.

I loved the whole thing with Gray Worm and Misandei. It was so sad because you kind of get a quick view of how unfair his situation is. Taken from his parents as a baby, having his sense of self erase or worse yet never installed, made to do and endure brutal and abusive things to become and stay and Unsullied, and having any chance at a family robbed from him in the process. It's like Misandei represents the life he could have had if he weren't Unsullied. He could have married a nice girl and lived a nice or at least a decent life. But instead... I do admire the fact that he was able to look at his situation and not feel sorry for himself, instead seeing it as all leading up to meeting her, and meeting her was worth it for him... Aww.

Sansa did a really good job of twisting the truth just enough to be believable and in all of the right ways to save Littlefinger. It was kind of surprising to see her coming down the stairs in that black dress looking at him in a seductive way. I understand that she's coming out of her shell and learning more about the way the world works, but I never saw her as ever seeming like a seductress. I'm not sure what the smile was about, but I guess I'll see. I guess it's a part of her 'knowing what Petyr wants.' I hope that doesn't backfire on her in some way.

And Theon. I was hoping he'd tell them he was a captive and to help him escape, but no such luck. He really has been brainwashed into being a docile puppet. I was so hoping that Asha was wrong when she said her brother was dead. And Ramsey, I just want him to get what he deserves. He doesn't deserve to inherit anything from his father or live a long "happy" life. I think he should become one of Qyburns 'unsuccessful' and long drawn out experiments considering how many people suffered from his torture and "games".

A very interesting and very good episode.

(Side note, I just went to edit, does anyone else notice that the smiley order on the side panel keeps changing?)

sigpic

Comment

Well, I wasn't expecting that... I was expecting something, but not that...

Only two more episodes, something big is going to go down soon...

Comment

I thought it was a good episode, I enjoyed it; it's not one of my favorites though. I really liked the Reek, Roose, and Ramsay scenes. I also really liked the Mountain vs. Viper fight, but I kind of wish they'd spent a little more time in King's Landing before the fight.

I'm really glad that they're showing Sansa to be a more active player on the show. I didn't like that last Sansa scene though; the change in attitude and wardrobe seemed a bit too dramatic in that scene (too much Cersei and not enough Margaery, IMO). The dress was really nice though, and Sophie Turner looked very pretty in an Evil Queen sort of way lol.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                Looks like she has found a traitor, but is he or is the letter a forgery?

Another good scene with Tyrion & Jamie, but I do not really understand the outcome of the duel.
                Yes The Viper died (we think) so Tyrion is guilty, but then the Mountain died (we think) so Tyrion is innocent. Or it should be called a draw & we should get two more combatants & try again for a clear-cut decision.
                In answer to your question it is not a forgery. They established in season one that he got his pardon.

And I might be wrong, but I don't believe they implied The Mountain died. Despite the fact that he took spear to the center of the chest he was still able to do what he did, so he couldn't be too injured. Maybe he is, but it has always seemed that The Mountain is on a path to a showdown with The Hound or Arya, so the way that went down I don't think he is dead.

So I hated most of this episode. The Grey Worm stuff seemed like a pointless waste of time to me. I've never seen a reason for him to become more of a character than he is.

I am very curious what will happen to Mormont.

I am so ready for Jon Snow to do SOMETHING!

I just don't care about Theon's story and I am ready to be rid of Ramsay Snow.

The thing I disliked most about this episode is the stuff with Sansa. I like that it seems she is becoming smarter, but I also worry that they might start giving her a more villainous leaning. I don't like her relationship with Littlefinger and I really don't like any prospect of where that could go.

And if Arya and The Hound don't meet up with Sansa I am going to freak OUT!

I really don't like this Hound infection line they are going down. I wonder if they are setting up a possible Arya mercykill for him? We'll see. Either way I think The Mountain will still be alive and Arya or The Hound need to reverse that soon.

I thought the fight was completely predictable to the point of being annoying. When they make it obvious how it is going to end then why make it torture?! That isn't entertaining. This is an interesting episode in that it is an example of how I can watch many episodes and love the show and then see an episode like this. The whole episode makes me start to question why I watch and if I am going to continue. As far as Tyrion goes, I imagine Jaime or someone might help him escape or maybe the truth of Joffrey's death will be exposed. Unfortunately this show's track record demonstrates that they are not afraid to have Tyrion face The King's Justice as Ned Stark did. I hope they don't, but who knows.

And I say this all the time, but where are Rickon and Osha? How can they just drop them like this?!

And what is Bran doing? Speaking of Bran here is some speculation on my part, do you think he'll be able to control the dragons? I know they seem to be setting him up as vital to what is going to happen with The White Walkers, but I wonder if he'll be able to take control of the Dragons?

And the best part of the episode was when Arya started to laugh . . . but that better not mean they are not going to meet up with Sansa. I am not kidding about this . . .Freak OUT!

Comment

Loved Gray Worm and Missandei. Really liked seeing someone happy other than Ramsey. Also having one relationship that isn't based on lies, death, incest, rape, or pure lust is nice. Added plus having two non white actors having a positive relationship. This is only the second time I have seen that on tv in my entire life. The other time was Day Break which was great.

The moat scenes were to short. I'm not sure if people picked up on the importance of the scene or all that happen. However, the main point of Ramsey proving himself was clear.

Sansa having agency over her life was great. She is moving up in the game.

Comment

i am so happy to see sansa move beyond that wallflower she was. But it´s clear that Kings Landing has left a deep, disturbing mark on her.

For that matter, GOT largely seems to be "starks meet the real world".

Comment

I agree that Rickon and Osha are a massive unknown at the moment, were the actors not available or something? Also, not seen much of Melisandre this season...

But as Mart Gatiss is signed for 3 episodes this season, he must be in the last two...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                        I agree that Rickon and Osha are a massive unknown at the moment, were the actors not available or something? Also, not seen much of Melisandre this season...

But as Mart Gatiss is signed for 3 episodes this season, he must be in the last two...
                        If I recall correctly, it's the same in the books. So, perhaps GRRM doesn't know what's going to happen to them yet?
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                          Loved Gray Worm and Missandei. Really liked seeing someone happy other than Ramsey. Also having one relationship that isn't based on lies, death, incest, rape, or pure lust is nice. Added plus having two non white actors having a positive relationship. This is only the second time I have seen that on tv in my entire life. The other time was Day Break which was great.

The moat scenes were to short. I'm not sure if people picked up on the importance of the scene or all that happen. However, the main point of Ramsey proving himself was clear.

Sansa having agency over her life was great. She is moving up in the game.
                          Okay I have to agree with what The Baron has said after reading it. It is nice to see two people who seemed to have been tortured their entire lives getting a small taste of some happiness. And you are right, they didn't make the "moat" scene seem that important, other than what it won Ramsay. And it is good to see Sansa having some control in her life, I just don't want to see her become villainous to do it. And I don't want to see her overestimate the horrors Littlefinger.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

For that matter, GOT largely seems to be "starks meet the real world".
                          So this is a Westeros Reality Show?! (I totally agree with you.)

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                          Also, not seen much of Melisandre this season...
                          Yeah, but she is a villain and I don't like her.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          If I recall correctly, it's the same in the books. So, perhaps GRRM doesn't know what's going to happen to them yet?
                          One thing I am really interested to know is whether or not Rickon shares Bran's abilities. In season one Rickon ends up in the crypt because he saw Ned in a dream. Maybe GRRM hasn't decided what to do about stuff like that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                            Okay I have to agree with what The Baron has said after reading it. It is nice to see two people who seemed to have been tortured their entire lives getting a small taste of some happiness. And you are right, they didn't make the "moat" scene seem that important, other than what it won Ramsay. And it is good to see Sansa having some control in her life, I just don't want to see her become villainous to do it. And I don't want to see her overestimate the horrors Littlefinger.
                            I also hope Sansa doesn't become villainous, and if she does go dark(or somewhat darker), I hope she remembers who she is and redeems herself by the end(like by killing Littlefinger). I like Littlfinger as a character, but I hope he gets killed off eventually(preferably by Sansa).

Missandei and Grey Worm's talk was probably the only really nice/sweet moment in the episode, so I thought it was kind of nice too.

One thing I am really interested to know is whether or not Rickon shares Bran's abilities. In season one Rickon ends up in the crypt because he saw Ned in a dream. Maybe GRRM hasn't decided what to do about stuff like that yet.
                            I'm pretty sure GRRM knows. The show doesn't go into certain things as much as the books do.
                            Last edited by VampyreWraith; 04 June 2014, 01:46 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

So this is a Westeros Reality Show?! (I totally agree with you.)
                              well technically, yea .

the starks are the good guys, but they clearly have been a little TOO naive.

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                              I also hope Sansa doesn't become villainous, and if she does go dark(or somewhat darker), I hope she remembers who she is and redeems herself by the end(like by killing Littlefinger). I like Littlfinger as a character, but I hope he gets killed off eventually(preferably by Sansa).
                              I don't think she's gonna go evil, but it's clear King's Landing changed her. her best bet right now is to stick close to Littlefinger, find and exploit his weaknesses and i do believe eventually she'll backstab him. After all, she's probably his only weakness.

Comment

Working...
                              X