Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How large is SHIELD??

Hi everyone,
    after watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier and being an avid fan and watcher of Agents of Shield I began to wonder, How large is Shield??
    Given that they have massive bases stationed around the world and a strong quasi-military force (HeliCarries, attack aircraft/helicopters etc). I was wondering how Shield would stack up personnel wise with the real life Department of Homeland Security (which has 240,000 employees) or FBI (which has 35,344 employees)???

Probably more along the lines of the FBI, but pretty much whatever size the plot requires it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
      Probably more along the lines of the FBI, but pretty much whatever size the plot requires it to be.
      I think you probably have to take into consideration the different universe when considering numbers like that. Shield clearly has been operating since the 1940's so I'd say that it actually surpasses the FBI and NSA both in terms of funding and operational background.
      On top of that I'd be tempted to say that the Navy and Airforce is scaled down in the MCU in favour if SHIELD.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Thank you replying to this thread in the first place and second P-90_177 made some valid points that I've not considered. If the funding of SHIELD is greater than combined funding of the FBI @ $8.3 Billion and the NSA @ $11 Billion but less than the full funding of the USAF @ $140 Billion, So SHIELD should have a yearly budget of around $80 Billion or so.
        As for personnel I think they would have more than the FBI and NSA combined but less than the USAF so about 390,000 people. That agents, techs, crew for the HeliCarriers and base personnel.
        Do this look reasonable to you about the size and budget of Shield??

Comment

I have a feeling S.H.I.E.L.D is a multi-national organiasation. Given that they have been seen operating outside the United States. And have the local law enforcement agencies taking a support role.

Also we have to take into account that the current acromyn is I believe the 3rd/4th within the history of Marvel.
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

it clearly exceeds the FBI, 4 helicarriers that we know about equals 15,000 personnel on their own, nimitz aircraft carriers have 3,200. When include the facilities with have seen in the films and tv programmes , that could easily exceed another 20,000
            S.H.I.E.L.D is suppose to be a multinational organisation but apparently it only takes the US to shut it down or at least shut down the parts of it down they know about.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              it clearly exceeds the FBI, 4 helicarriers that we know about equals 15,000 personnel on their own, nimitz aircraft carriers have 3,200. When include the facilities with have seen in the films and tv programmes , that could easily exceed another 20,000
              S.H.I.E.L.D is suppose to be a multinational organisation but apparently it only takes the US to shut it down or at least shut down the parts of it down they know about.
              Artificial intelligence is clearly more advanced in the MCU than the real world, so I imagine that at least the Insight helicarriers can get by with much smaller crews than Nimitz class.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                Artificial intelligence is clearly more advanced in the MCU than the real world, so I imagine that at least the Insight helicarriers can get by with much smaller crews than Nimitz class.
                In terms of command crew that is possible, but going by what we saw in the avengers there looks to be just as many hands on the deck crew. Naturally there have to be pilots for all the jets. Day to day maintenance staff and engineers. Then you also have to take into consideration that the helicarrier has science labs, which imply scientists.... So all in all I think it's still a fair bet that the actual crew is in par with a Nimitz class. Maybe a couple of hundred less.

Comment

well they aint so large anymore are they. (Recent A.O.S. ep)

Comment

Tagged for Winter Soldier /Most recent SHIELD eps spoilers.

Spoiler:
                    True but I've read somewhere that nearly half of SHIELD were HYDRA sleeper agents. I was trying to find a rough number for the size of SHIELD to figure out the size of HYDRA. And to put that number in terms of military strength such as how many battalions or regiments that Phil and his team + Fury have to put down for global security.
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 21 April 2014, 11:23 AM. Reason: Tagged.

Comment

Fortunately not speaking for myself but since it isn't in the thread title, that last post needs to be in spoiler tags for anyone who hasn't seen Winter Soldier or the latest S.H.I.E.L.D episodes yet.

Comment

Well, it does seem that SHIELD is a US-operated organization. It grew out of an Army operation (see Captain America: The First Avenger) and

Winter Solider spoiler
                        Spoiler:
                        clearly has oversight from the US Congress given the most recent movie.

This also reminds me of the reason the US Army did not agree to have US Soldiers appear in The Avengers movie. They wanted to know whether SHIELD was an US organization or an International organization. Since the US military does not take orders from foreign bodies.

With so much ambiguity the US Army opted not to approve the appearance of soldiers in the movie. I wonder whatever that could impact Marvel Studios' decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrja84 View Post
                          Well, it does seem that SHIELD is a US-operated organization. It grew out of an Army operation (see Captain America: The First Avenger) and

Winter Solider spoiler
                          Spoiler:
                          clearly has oversight from the US Congress given the most recent movie.

This also reminds me of the reason the US Army did not agree to have US Soldiers appear in The Avengers movie. They wanted to know whether SHIELD was an US organization or an International organization. Since the US military does not take orders from foreign bodies.

With so much ambiguity the US Army opted not to approve the appearance of soldiers in the movie. I wonder whatever that could impact Marvel Studios' decisions.
                          Well in the comics S.H.I.E.L.D is an American run organization that counters world wide threats... cos you know... good ol' american heroes saving the world for capitalism and democracy... blah blah blah....

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Well in the comics S.H.I.E.L.D is an American run organization that counters world wide threats... cos you know... good ol' american heroes saving the world for capitalism and democracy... blah blah blah....
                            That's the thing, I didn't even know that. But then we have scenes where the President is in a room with Fury and I just started seeing SHIELD as whatever the storytellers wanted it to be.

Comment

Actually in the latest film
                              Spoiler:
                              Shield was overseen by a multinational advisory board much like the IOA from stargate. It seams like only America has classed Shield as a terrorist organization
                              And in some versions of the comics Shield was created by the UN after WW2.

Comment

Working...
                              X