• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Laws of Gods and Men (406)

Visit the Episode GuideGAME OF THRONES - SEASON FOUR
    THE LAWS OF GODS AND MEN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 406
    Stannis and Davos sail to Bravos with a new strategy for gaining support, while Daenerys is confronted by the challenges of ruling in Meereen, and Theon's sister attempts to rescue him. As Tyrion's trial begins, it becomes increasingly clear that he will find no justice from his father or his accusers.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 15 May 2014, 11:50 AM.

Go Tyrion go.

After the crud he's taken all his life it was good to finally see him get fed up.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Okay that was a great ending, but I really don't buy any of what happened with Shae or Varys. I kept thinking Varys has some other plan, but Shae makes no sense anyway you look at it. I want to think she was being forced, but she went too far for it not to be real. Those two really ruined the episode for me. I loved everything else, but what happened, especially with Shae, just seemed too over the top to be believed within the reality of the show. I mean if she did it to be vindictive then that character is not as smart as I thought she was supposed to be. If she did it because she was being forced, then I don't believe it because she went above and beyond being forced.

Comment

I think that Shae was probably coerced into testifying -- at least in the beginning; but I think that she was also angry at Tyrion because he was no longer sleeping with her and wanted to send her away. And perhaps there was some jealousy toward Sansa as well because Tyrion seemed to be favoring her over Shae. Even though he wasn't sleeping with Sansa -- she was still his wife and he seemed to be protective of her feelings.

Comment

I wanted to think she was coerced, but it seemed like she went too far. I know Varys has to be up to something because I can't believe he would turn on Tyrion that way. So if he has a plan maybe Shae is involved, but again she went too far even if she was doing it to save her own life.

Anyway, I also thought the Theon rescue was very underwhelming. I have been waiting to see how Yara would deal with Ramsay and it was so blah. Plus Ramsay's plan seem ridiculous. You're going to play Theon Greyjoy. Whaaaaaa?!?!?! I can't imagine a better way to snap Theon out of his crazy then having him play himself.

Anywho, I am really glad they mentioned The Hound being spotted. That is one weird thing about him leaving. They never made it sound like the big deal it should have been.

And I also found it very incredible that the Iron Bank would back Stanis. Do they expect him to takeover the Seven Kingdoms and promptly payback all the money the Lannisters and Baratheons have borrowed? It just seems weird that they would get behind the guy who has already been defeated. Although isn't Melisandre from Bravos? Maybe there is something connected to that. I loved that scene, but I can't believe they backed him.

Anway, other than the ending I have to say this was the weakest episode of the season so far.

So trial by combat:

Tyrion vs. Trant?
          Jaime vs. Trant?
          Bronn vs. Trant?
          Bronn vs. Jaime?
          Tyrion vs. Jaime?
          Tyrion vs. Tywin? (THIS IS MY 2ND CHOICE.)
          Tyrion vs. Cersei? (PLEASE LET IT BE THIS ONE!)

Other combos anyone?

Comment

What about Prince Oberyn? Didn't we see him in a fighting arena in the trailer?

Comment

Tyrion vs. Oberyn
              Bronn vs. Oberyn
              Oberyn vs. Trant
              Oberyn vs. Cersei (MY 3RD FAVORITE CHOICE)
              Oberyn vs. Jaime
              Jaime vs. Oberyn

Jaime vs. . . . Jaime

BTW in these little "vs" predictions I mean for the first name to be that of the person fighting for Tyrion. And I know it is silly to throw Cersei's name in there, but one can dream.

In all honesty I don't know if Tyrion knows Oberyn well enough to ask him to fight for him. And I think it would take a lot of coercing for Oberyn to be convinced to fight for the crown.

How about The Mountain? I believe he still holds the favor of Tywin Lannister.

Tyrion vs. The Mountain (MY 4TH FAVORITE CHOICE.)
              Jaime vs. The Mountain
              Bronn vs. The Mountain (MY 5TH FAVORITE CHOICE.)

I know everything is leading up to The Hound and The Mountain eventually having a showdown, but who knows with this show. I think I will make a prediction that The Hound will kill The Mountain, but be gravely wounded and Arya will finish him off as a mercy killing.

Here is another intriguing set duels.

Tyrion vs. Loras Tyrell
              Jaime vs. Loras Tyrell
              Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell
              Oberyn vs. Loras Tyrell

I don't see any reason Loras would fight for Tyrion, but I can see him being manipulated into fighting for the crown.

Comment

An interesting episode.

Cersei really wants Tyrion to get it for what she believes he did to Joffrey.
                But I believe the true culprit will get their just reward.
                "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                To thy own self... Be true
                May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

True killers are so far off the radar that I doubt anything will ever happen to them because of this. Heck most people would give them a meddle if they found out.

Comment

The real killers spent weeks/months staying in the shadows. Even if someone outed them (and we've seen that they kill to cover their tracks) all it'll be is an accusation.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think the craziest thing is that Tyrion can get out of a trial again by combat. What a crazy legal system! Your guilt can be determined by how a fight, you don't even have to participate in, turns out.

Comment

I'm very excited about the next couple of episodes, having read the books. Thought it was a wonderful ep and the trial had some great acting in it.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
                          And I also found it very incredible that the Iron Bank would back Stanis. Do they expect him to takeover the Seven Kingdoms and promptly payback all the money the Lannisters and Baratheons have borrowed? It just seems weird that they would get behind the guy who has already been defeated
                          You're right. In the books,
                          Spoiler:
                          the Iron Bank didn't back Stannis until slightly later in the story. IIRC, by the time the banker gave Stannis a line of credit, the Iron Throne (aka Lannisters) was in default with the bank. The Iron Bank of Braavos doesn't take kindly to non-payment.

Been a while since i read the books. That's the way i remember it though.
                          Last edited by Skydiver; 15 May 2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                            You're right.
                            I LOVE BEING RIGHT!

I am reading the first book for the first time and watching the first season for the second time. WOW! do I love the book. It gets a little slow when slow things happen and you already know the outcome, but it is great. The book seems far superior, but the show seems even better this second time around.

And I did hear from a friend that the Shae in the book is a much more petty and selfish person. That would definitely better explain the Shae we saw in this episode. But I also expect they could come up with some thing to try to explain the Shae we saw in this episode. It probably isn't going to make much sense, but they might try.

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            I'm very excited about the next couple of episodes, having read the books. Thought it was a wonderful ep and the trial had some great acting in it.
                            And knowing that makes me excited. This seemed like a pretty dull episode, though I too thought the acting was great. I am ready for some big stuff to happen, in a negative manner to characters I want it to happen to - Red Wedding I am looking at you as an example of what should NOT happen.

Comment

Guess this is the best place to post this...

Comment

Working...
                              X