The Defenders: Miniseries

More detailed / spoilerific version hidden:
ca. 3000 BC
Thor: The Dark World - Flashbacks to Asgard/Dark Elves war

ca. 965 AD
Thor - Flashback to Asgard/Jotunheim war

ca. 1000 (estimate)
Thor - Flashback to Thor & Loki as children

Agent Carter 1.05 "The Iron Ceiling" - Flashback to Black Widow young girls selection

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Flashback to after funeral of Steve's mother

Agent Carter 1.07 "Snafu" - Hypnotizing the soon-to-be amputee

Agent Carter 1.06 "A Sin to Err" - Recruitment of Leviathan scientists

1942-45
Captain America: The First Avenger - Main events

(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 2.08 "The Things We Bury" - Flashback to Reinhardt's HYDRA experiments
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 2.01 "Shadows" - Flashback to Agent Carter capturing Reinhardt
Agents of SHIELD 2.08 "The Things We Bury" - Flashback to Reinhardt in Allied prison
(Dec) Agent Carter 1.08 "Valediction" - Flashback to Howard Stark & Dottie

(Apr-May) Agent Carter 1.01 "Now is Not the End"
(Apr-May) Agent Carter 1.02 "Bridge and Tunnel"
(Apr-May) Agent Carter 1.03 "Time and Tide"
(Apr-May) Agent Carter 1.04 "The Blitzkrieg Button"
(Apr-May) Agent Carter 1.05 "The Iron Ceiling"
(Apr-May) Agent Carter 1.06 "A Sin to Err"
(May) Agent Carter 1.07 "Snafu"
(May 8) Agent Carter 1.08 "Valediction"
(uncertain) Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Video of Peggy Carter reflecting on Cap

ca. 1971
Daredevil 1.08 "Shadows in the Glass" - Flashback to Fisk's childhood

Iron Man 2 - Howard Stark's Expo video

Agents of SHIELD 2.11 "Aftershocks" - Flashback to Gordon's youth

Ant-Man - Flashback to Wasp's death

Guardians of the Galaxy - Prologue/abduction of Pete Quill

Agents of SHIELD 2.08 "The Things We Bury" - Flashback to Reinhardt's escape
Ant-Man - Flashback to Hank Pym quitting SHIELD

ca. 1991
Daredevil 1.02 "Cut Man" - Flashback to young Matt Murdock, pre-blinding
Daredevil 1.01 "Into the Ring" - Flashback to Matt Murdock blinding
Daredevil 1.02 "Cut Man" - Flashback to Matt Murdock just after blinding
Daredevil 1.07 "Stick" - Flashback to Matt Murdock being raised by Stick

Agents of SHIELD 1.21 "Ragtag" - Flashbacks to Ward's recruitment

1999 - 2000 (Dec 31 - Jan 3)
Iron Man 3 - Flashback to Tony/Aldridge meeting

Agents of SHIELD 1.21 "Ragtag" - Flashbacks to Garrett introducing Ward to HYDRA

Daredevil 1.04 "In the Blood" - Flashback to Anatoly & Vladimir in Siberia

Agents of SHIELD 2.17 "Melinda" - Flashbacks to Bahrain

Agents of SHIELD 2.07 "The Writing on the Wall" - Flashbacks to T.A.H.I.T.I. Project

(May - Oct) [color=red]Iron Man
(Sept) Daredevil 1.10 "Nelson v. Murdock" - Flashbacks to Matt Murdock & Foggy meeting

(Apr - May) The Incredible Hulk - Skip post-credits scene
(Apr - May) Iron Man 2 - Skip Coulson post-credits scene
(May) Thor - Until Thor's banisment; concurrent w/Iron Man 2
(May) Marvel One-Shot: The Consultant - Repeats/replaces TIH post-credits scene
(May) Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened... - Concurrent w/Iron Man 2
(May) Iron Man 2 - Coulson post-credits scene
(June) Thor - Thor on Earth

(Apr) Captain America: The First Avenger - Defrosting Steve Rogers
(May) The Avengers
(May) Marvel One-Shot: Item 47
(late) Agents of SHIELD 1.11 "The Magical Place" - Flashback to Coulson resurrection
(Dec) Iron Man 3

(Sept) Agents of SHIELD 1.01 "Pilot"
(Sept) Agents of SHIELD 1.02 "0-8-4"
(Sept) Agents of SHIELD 1.03 "The Asset"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 1.04 "Eye-Spy"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 1.05 "Girl in the Flower Dress"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 1.06 "F.Z.Z.T."
(Nov) Agents of SHIELD 1.07 "The Hub"
(Nov) Thor: The Dark World
(Nov) Agents of SHIELD 1.08 "The Well"
(Nov) Agents of SHIELD 1.09 "Repairs"
(Dec) Agents of SHIELD 1.10 "The Bridge"

(Jan) Agents of SHIELD 1.11 "The Magical Place"
(Jan) Agents of SHIELD 1.12 "Seeds"
(Feb) Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King
(Feb) Agents of SHIELD 1.13 "T.R.A.C.K.S."
(Mar) Agents of SHIELD 1.14 "T.A.H.I.T.I."
(Mar) Agents of SHIELD 1.15 "Yes Men"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 1.16 "End of the Beginning"
(Apr) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 1.17 "Turn, Turn, Turn" - Concurrent w/Winter Soldier
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 1.18 "Providence"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 1.19 "The Only Light in the Darkness"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 1.20 "Nothing Personal"
(May) Agents of SHIELD 1.21 "Ragtag"
(May) Agents of SHIELD 1.22 "Beginning of the End"
(May) Agents of SHIELD 2.20 "Scars" - Flashback to helicarrier
(Aug) Guardians of the Galaxy
(Sept) Agents of SHIELD 2.01 "Shadows"
(Sept) Agents of SHIELD 2.02 "Heavy is the Head"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 2.03 "Making Friends and Influencing People"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 2.04 "Face My Enemy"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 2.05 "A Hen in the Wolf House"
(Oct) Agents of SHIELD 2.06 "A Fractured House"
(Nov) Agents of SHIELD 2.07 "The Writing on the Wall"
(Nov) Agents of SHIELD 2.08 "The Things We Bury"
(Dec) Agents of SHIELD 2.09 "...Ye Who Enter Here"
(Dec) Agents of SHIELD 2.10 "What They Become"

(early year) Agents of SHIELD 2.11 "Aftershocks"
(early year) Daredevil 1.10 "Nelson v. Murdock" - Flashback to Foggy & Matt Murdock quitting law firm
(Mar) Agents of SHIELD. 2.12 "Who You Really Are"
(Mar) Agents of SHIELD 2.13 "One of Us"
(Mar) Agents of SHIELD 2.14 "Love in the Time of HYDRA"
(Mar) Agents of SHIELD 2.15 "One Door Closes"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 2.16 "Afterlife"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.01 "Into the Ring
(Apr) Daredevil 1.02 "Cut Man"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.03 "Rabbit in a Snow Storm"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.04 "In the Blood"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.05 "World on Fire"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.06 "Condemned"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.07 "Stick"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.08 "Shadows in the Glass"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.09 "Speak of the Devil"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.10 "Nelson v. Murdock"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.11 "The Path of the Righteous"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.12 "The Ones We Leave Behind"
(Apr) Daredevil 1.13 "Daredevil"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 2.17 "Melinda"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 2.18 "The Frenemy of My Enemy"
(Apr) Agents of SHIELD 2.19 "The Dirty Half Dozen"
(May) Avengers: Age of Ultron
(May) Agents of SHIELD 2.20 "Scars"
(May) Agents of SHIELD 2.21-22 "S.O.S."
(July) Ant-Man
(late) AKA Jessica Jones - Season 1 (Netflix; premieres late 2015)

(May) Captain America: Civil War
(Nov) Doctor Strange

(May) Guardians of the Galaxy 2
(July) Spider-Man
(Nov) Thor: Ragnarok

(May) Avengers: Infinity War, Pt 1
(July) Black Panther
(Nov) Captain Marvel

(May) Avengers: Infinity War, Pt 2
(July) Inhumans

To be announced
Iron Fist S1
Luke Cage S1
The Defenders - Mini

Scary Kitty
April 7th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Another timeline fanatic! *high-fives* :D

Here's a useful reference: This is the official MCU timeline (http://marvel.com/news/movies/2012/5/22/18766/view_the_full_marvel_cinematic_universe_timeline) (scroll down to click on the thumbnail image to bring up full size; it's BIG), as printed in "The Art of Marvel's The Avengers" art book (http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-The-Art-Marvels/dp/0785162348/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396921781&sr=8-1&keywords=art+of+the+avengers) and also appearing in the Marvel's The Avengers: A Second Screen Experience app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvels-avengers-second-screen/id539555261?mt=8). Note that they don't use calendar years, but rather refer to events as years/months/days before or after Tony Stark's "I am Iron Man" announcement at the end of the first Iron Man film, and the timeline has only been updated through just before The Avengers. This timeline does go into a bit more detail, but to my best reckoning, they do get the order of some events wrong, so take it with a grain of salt even though it does come straight from Marvel. :)

Gen. Chris
April 7th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Thank you. I was thinking about doing something like this but this is much better than I would have done :D

Starsaber
April 8th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I would put Thor in May of that year since Coulson left in the middle of Iron Man 2 to go to New Mexico to investigate the hammer, but this is still really useful.

DigiFluid
April 8th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I would put Thor in May of that year since Coulson left in the middle of Iron Man 2 to go to New Mexico to investigate the hammer, but this is still really useful.

I believe you are correct sir, I have revised it as such! :)

DigiFluid
November 26th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Have just done a complete overhaul with all the new data learnt since last update (ie: since I forgot I'd done this thread up).

Update includes
- segmenting into spoiler/spoiler-free versions
- inclusion of Phase 3 films
- placement of all SHIELD episodes to date (based on airdate)
- inclusion of GotG animated series in TBA subsections
- moved Agent Carter to pre-One Shot (based on interview w/Hayley Atwell)
- moved Daredevil to post-Ultron (based on May 2015 airdate)
- inclusion of flashbacks (spoiler section only)
- rejigged IM2/Hulk/Thor/One-Shots section a bit (spoiler section only)

Master Chief Jack O Niell
November 26th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Is the GotG animated series going to actually be part of the MCU and be canon or will it be separate like Avengers Assemble is?

DigiFluid
November 26th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Is the GotG animated series going to actually be part of the MCU and be canon or will it be separate like Avengers Assemble is?

The Marvel announcement about the series (http://marvel.com/news/tv/23444/marvels_guardians_of_the_galaxy_animated_series_announced_at_nycc) seems to indicate that it will be part of the larger MCU. I'll point out, though, that they didn't come out and say it in black and white. And that (of course) until it appears on screens, its status is subject to change.

Personally, I'm kind of hoping that it's not part of the main MCU. The movie worked not just because of its charming characters, but also because of the nostalgia appeal to 20- and 30-somethings and because they were able to push the PG-13 envelope (light profanity, sexual innuendo, etc). I don't know how well that can be translated into a kids cartoon on DisneyXD.

November 26th, 2014, 06:21 PM
From looking at the trailer to it, it looks like it will be probably based off the movie, Whether what happens in the cartoon translates to the Live Action part of the MCU, probably depends on whether teams behind the shows and movies want it to be. Disney is probably going to give them the final say for what is canon or not due to the money that the moves generate.

I would have liked it to be based off the version from Earth's Mightiest Heroes instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaB5iTFgxVk

The odd thing that even though it was a cartoon they seemed more mature and serious than the movie. The movie seemed actually pretty immature for all the unnecessary innuedos

Scary Kitty
November 26th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I doubt very much that this (or any other) animated series will be MCU-canon. While there have been tie-in comics that are MCU-canon, Kevin Feige and the other powers-that-be at Marvel Studios haven't (to my knowledge) made any comments suggesting that the MCU was going to venture into the animation format.

It sounds to me from this announcement that it's just a kids' series that's being put out to take advantage of the perhaps higher-than-expected kids' interest generated by the live-action movie.

garhkal
November 26th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Where can one watch some of those "Marvel, one shots"? Like the consultant, item 47 and a funny thing happened on the way to thor's hammer?

Scary Kitty
November 27th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Where can one watch some of those "Marvel, one shots"? Like the consultant, item 47 and a funny thing happened on the way to thor's hammer?

The Marvel One-Shots are on the Blu-rays and digital downloads. The Consultant can be found on Thor, Item 47 is on The Avengers, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer is on Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Carter is on Iron Man 3, and All Hail the King is on Thor: The Dark World.

Ikorni
November 27th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Great timeline! Really useful too. :)

garhkal
November 28th, 2014, 09:59 PM
The Marvel One-Shots are on the Blu-rays and digital downloads. The Consultant can be found on Thor, Item 47 is on The Avengers, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer is on Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Carter is on Iron Man 3, and All Hail the King is on Thor: The Dark World.

CRAP! I only do DVD, not blue ray...

DigiFluid
November 29th, 2014, 04:52 AM
Well, they're also pretty easy to find should you, say search for them. On a particularly highly numbered website....

DigiFluid
December 10th, 2014, 08:44 AM
c/o an article at io9 (http://io9.com/rumor-a-brand-new-marvel-hero-will-have-a-cameo-in-age-1669154449): the animated Guardians of the Galaxy TV show will not be part of the MCU, as confirmed by GotG writer/director James Gunn.

Slashfilm: [The show] hypothetically takes place between this movie and your next movie.

James Gunn: Really? Is that what somebody said?

Slashfilm: Yeah.

Gunn: Because that's not true.

Slashfilm: Okay.

Gunn: There's no way.

Slashfilm: That was my question. Is that case or do you have to like be don't touch any of this?

Gunn: No, that's totally separate from this Marvel Cinematic Universe. And whoever said that, it pisses me off.

December 11th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I'm glad that the GOTG animated show is not going to be part of the MCU, since it will the animated series to be more creative in their episodes and season long plot than worrying about making sure they don't mess up canon in the MCU.

I thought both Loki and Thor were 1,000+ years old, so how could they be children in 1990? Or is their ages changed for the MCU.

DigiFluid
December 12th, 2014, 01:43 AM
I was actually just thinking about that last night and was going to put it to you guys for opinions....

edit; Eh, moved it. Thinking on it, it makes more sense if Thor & Loki are around a thousand years old.

StuckintheStargate
December 27th, 2014, 12:07 PM
When is inhumans due to be released?

P-90_177
December 27th, 2014, 12:19 PM
When is inhumans due to be released?

2nd November 2018

StuckintheStargate
December 28th, 2014, 01:18 AM
2nd November 2018

Oh that's sooo far away! Im already really excited for it though!

DigiFluid
January 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Adjustment to accommodate recent announcements concerning Daredevil and AKA Jessica Jones. Note that this is based on the expectation that airdates will reflect chronological setting--so anticipate adjustments if the shows turn out not to be contemporary with their real-world releases.

DigiFluid
March 5th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Updated once again.

Revisions include:
filling out Agent Carter + its flashbacks
addition of new SHIELD flashback
adjustments to SHIELD late S2/Daredevil/Ultron order per airdates/release dates (based on Daredevil's Apr 10 all-at-once premiere, Ultron's May 1 premiere, and Clark Gregg saying last summer that SHIELD S2 would broadcast in 2 straight runs without all the skipped weeks -- naturally, subject to change)
addition of Spider-Man movie
reshuffling of Phase 3 films because of Spider-Man

With (at least) 3 episodes of SHIELD not airing till after Age of Ultron hits the big screen, I'm guessing we can expect that there will be a sizeable tie-in between the two :)

garhkal
March 5th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Since they tied agents of shield in with both Thor 2, and Cap 2, you can bet that there will be tie ins here as well!

DigiFluid
April 11th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Updated again. Includes recently-revealed episode titles for both SHIELD and Daredevil, as well as placement of Daredevil flashbacks.

Some notes on Daredevil placement:
Some of the dialogue near the beginning of the season suggests it's been around 2 years since the Battle of New York (The Avengers). I suspect that this has to do with the production/filming schedule of the show being late-2014. This mostly tracks with a prominent shot of the new WTC tower looking very much completed at one point in the season, which officially opened (in the real world) in November 2014.

For the sake of simplicity--given that we don't have exact placement--I've decided just to stick with the airdate debut of the series as when it's set: April 2015.

Interesting, loosely related observation: in episode 2, Claire says that she used to date a guy named Mike, who 'as it turns out was very good at keeping serets.' Obviously I could be completely off-base here, but I read that as a sly nod to Mike Peterson (Deathlok) from Agents of SHIELD :D

Now regarding flashback sequences... Again for the sake of simplicity and because of the lack of concrete dates, I've used the real-world ages of the actors as my determination of the ages of the characters.

In practice, what I mean by this is that (for instance) I've assumed that because Vincent D'Onofrio was born in 1959, so was his character, Wilson Fisk. With that as my baseline, the show's dialogue stating that he lost his father at age 12 places the 'Young Fisk' flashbacks in roughly 1971. Similarly, because Chalie Cox (Matt/Daredevil) was born in 1982, the assumption is that when Matt loses his sight at age 9, that happens in roughly 1991.

The same reasoning applies to all actors/characters and their respective flashback scenes.

Starsaber
May 6th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I believe the flashbacks in The Agents of SHIELD episode Melinda were to shortly before Iron Man since they said 5 years ago and Coulson used the whole name for SHIELD, not the acronym.

Cmdr Sean Coll
May 6th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I believe the flashbacks in The Agents of SHIELD episode Melinda were to shortly before Iron Man since they said 5 years ago and Coulson used the whole name for SHIELD, not the acronym.

Actually in the episode "Melinda" the flashbacks happened 7 years ago.

DigiFluid
May 6th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I think you're both right. 7 years before 2015 would be 2008, which is when Iron Man came out. So I'm confident in agreeing with both of you.

I'll look into updating tomorrow, there's been some new flashbacks in recent weeks. But I was just on my way to bed, so it can wait ;)

DigiFluid
May 8th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Derp, forgot to come back to this till just now. Only minor edits, per the brief discussion above.

Not added yet, but also of note from news that came out yesterday
- Daredevil has been renewed for a second season (timeline placement as-yet unknown)
- SHIELD has received a Season 3 renewal (presumably it'll run fall 2015 through spring 2016)
- Agent Carter was renewed for a second season (timeline placement as-yet unknown)
- the SHIELD spin-off that was to star Bobbi & Hunter is apparently dead in the water

Starsaber
May 8th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I think you're both right. 7 years before 2015 would be 2008, which is when Iron Man came out. So I'm confident in agreeing with both of you.

I'll look into updating tomorrow, there's been some new flashbacks in recent weeks. But I was just on my way to bed, so it can wait ;)

Yeah, you're right. Math fail on my part.

blueray
June 22nd, 2015, 09:42 AM
wow, I can't believe how much details these lists go into. Of course I had seen most of the movies prior to watching Agents of Shield (minus Cap 2 which I surprisingly watched at the correct spot). I still haven't seen Guardian of the galaxy, I want too since I would explain more about the kree than the show did. However, I followed the show just fine without it.