MCU and Mutants (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCU and Mutants (spoilers)

With what Agents of Shield has been leading toward with its index and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver coming up soon, how do you think they will address mutants without actually being able to use them in the MCU?

With 'the Age of Miracles', I hope this doesn't suggest these abilities will have the powers being granted by magic and they continue with a quasi-science based explanation.

Or is it that they are just not allow to use the word "mutant"?
    sigpic

I'll be willing to bet that they won't really address mutants at all. Leave that to the X Men films. As for the scarlet witch and quick silver... Hard to say really. They do have the shield excuse of something akin to project centipede. But we'll just have to wait and see.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I hope its that they cant just use the term Mutant. They could use altered human though.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        I hope its that they cant just use the term Mutant. They could use altered human though.
        There's some debate about that as "mutant" is not a trademark term. But saying that Quicksilver and Scalet Witch are children of an X-Men character is crossing the line into the X-Men films. Which is interesting as it could mean that Hugh Jackman could show up as he is an Avenger as long as they don't mention he's an X-Men.

Although, given the publicity Jackman is so tied to the X-Men films I could see it as crossing a line for Marvel.

Comment

Based on the end of Winter Soldier

Spoiler:
          I got the impression they had been created rather than being naturally empowered.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
            Based on the end of Winter Soldier

Spoiler:
            I got the impression they had been created rather than being naturally empowered.
            Spoiler:
            I got the same impression. Sounded like they were the only survivors of some Hydra experiments.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
              Spoiler:
              I got the same impression. Sounded like they were the only survivors of some Hydra experiments.
              I got that sense as well. Sense the characters referenced the aftermath of such things.

But they made have done that because they didn't know whether they could use the term "mutant". I think that is still up for debate. They could still say they had some genetic difference that gave them an advantage.

We'll see. I'm just not so sure of using characters if you are not going to stay true to the source. Perhaps they will be first seen as villains in Age of Ultron before turning themselves around or at least having doubts.

Comment

Makes me hope marvel and ABC pull their collective heads out of each other's butts, and resolve this issue.

Comment

Makes me hope marvel and ABC pull their collective heads out of each other's butts, and resolve this issue.
                  I really don't actually. As far as the cinematic universes are concerned I would be much happier to have the two universes divided. And I say that as a fan of the larger Marvel comic book universe. Unfortunately in a film universe having the two together would just create too much of a jumble.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    I really don't actually. As far as the cinematic universes are concerned I would be much happier to have the two universes divided. And I say that as a fan of the larger Marvel comic book universe. Unfortunately in a film universe having the two together would just create too much of a jumble.
                    Agreed. If Fox gave up the rights to the X-Men, then Marvel would really need to pump out films. So far just 2 a year is small potatoes if they had the rights to the X-Men especially given how many would love to see Hugh Jackman within a Marvel Studios produced film. It wouldn't happen as Marvel wouldn't want to confuse their audiences by having played by Jackman.

Comment

Even if all they agree to is allowing the use of the word Mutant on the show i would be happy.

Comment

Just in general between the movies and the show, they haven't addressed powers much at all. All powered humans we have seen so far are either a result of an scientific accident, some form of super soldier serum, or technology (human or alien).

With Absorbing Man, we have a powered human with no definitive explanation so far. Hopefully he's the first we'll see of people born with powers. Even if they can't use "mutants" it'd be nice if they can get that in when it's such a big part of the Marvel Universe.
                        sigpic

Comment

What about that guy who absorbed light, mid season 1?

Comment

What about that guy who absorbed light, mid season 1?
                            You're right, but I think that they explained that as some side effect of some lab research or accident. And that is the same kind of explanation for all the other (non-super soldier) powered humans on Agents of Shield so far, like Scorch, Graviton, and the student who was hinted at gaining ice powers. So far no explanation for Absorbing Man.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X