X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSG appreciation!!!!!

Bsg
    Last edited by Markey2; 30 March 2008, 07:22 AM.

It's a very well made show. Good special effects, excellent tension and interesting characters.

At first, I really resisted watching it, as I couldn't imagine how Starbuck and Boomer could be female. But after a couple of friends watched it and said how good it was, I decided to give it a go.

If you watch it as a complete new series, it helps. And the fact that it's very apparent that Starbuck and Boomer are their call signs, and at other times they use their real names Kara and Sharon, helps make the transition much easier.

I love the fact that the Cylons can look human. That makes them much more of a threat imo. I mean, how do you know who the enemy is if he can look, act and feel just like you. And especially the fact that there are sleeper agents who don't know they're Cylons. Nice twist there.

I like Baltar too. Such a twisted, confused mind.

And though I didn't know if I could like her at first, now that we've gotten to know Starbuck better, she's one of my favorite characters.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
      It's a very well made show. Good special effects, excellent tension and interesting characters.

At first, I really resisted watching it, as I couldn't imagine how Starbuck and Boomer could be female. But after a couple of friends watched it and said how good it was, I decided to give it a go.

If you watch it as a complete new series, it helps. And the fact that it's very apparent that Starbuck and Boomer are their call signs, and at other times they use their real names Kara and Sharon, helps make the transition much easier.

I love the fact that the Cylons can look human. That makes them much more of a threat imo. I mean, how do you know who the enemy is if he can look, act and feel just like you. And especially the fact that there are sleeper agents who don't know they're Cylons. Nice twist there.

I like Baltar too. Such a twisted, confused mind.

And though I didn't know if I could like her at first, now that we've gotten to know Starbuck better, she's one of my favorite characters.
      here here! i too think BSB is an awesome show. very much more dramatic and darker than SG.

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
        I think the darkness and drama make it so much different from SG1 and other SciFi that that's what makes it good.

And it's not better than SG1 or worse than it because I watch the shows for different reasons but both have things that I like.
        exactly! its different, not better or worse. they arent even in competition with each other, because they are really different. I love SG but you know know matter what happens, at the end of the day earth is gonna be saved and the team is going to come out ok. where as with BSG, all their home worlds have already been destroyed, they have one warship with a hand ful of fighters and a fleet of unarmed ships, it doesnt matter how good the crew is, things are going to get bad, there are going to be casualties, people are going to die. things are not going to turn out good at the end of every episode. if they manage to survive to another day with as few losses as possible, thats as good as its going to get for them for the immediate future. its a refreshing new experience to wonder, not how are they going to get out of the current crisis and survive, but wonder, what can they do to minimize their losses and get out with as many people as possible. its going to be a really interesting ride, seeing how things are going to go for them, because things are going to get worse before they get better

Comment

I think the darkness and drama make it so much different from SG1 and other SciFi that that's what makes it good.

And it's not better than SG1 or worse than it because I watch the shows for different reasons but both have things that I like.
          Exactly. It is different, but different isn't necessarily bad.

Hubs held out longer than I did as to giving it a chance. But after I watched the mini-series and the first two eps, and kept going on about how good it actually was, he caved and gave it a chance. Halfway through the mini-series he was hooked.

I think the very reason he likes it, is that it's dark, it's gripping and it's exciting. You're never quite sure what's going to happen, and that makes it interesting.
          sigpic

Comment

In opposition to that sulky thread about how BSG is stealing SG-1 and SGA's attention and limelight yadaya I think we need a thread devoted to people's like of the series. So far it has proven to be a SciFi show completely different and (I feel) original. It is not in competition with SG-1 and SGA because it is different and far more dramatic.

Let's gush! How much do you love BSG, who do you like best, what do you like best?

Only goodness in this thread please!
            At first, I didn't like how the Cylons were created by humans and I didn't like how the tech was really low-key. It bothered me. After the first few episodes, however, I changed my mind. If you watch the original series, other than the Imperious Leader and the IL series, the Cylons were pretty one dimensional and were not frightening or intimidating.

In the new series, the Cylons are pretty intimidating (the robot ones, not the human ones) to look at and dont seem as easy to kill/destroy. The human ones are scary in that they believe in a "God" and blindly follow him into battle. Blind devotion = fanaticism, which is very deadly. They don't fear death. Their motives are not clear. They can pose as human and hide among us and strike out whenever they want to. That's pretty scary.

Also, like sg3_1983 said, I like the dark feel to the series. It shows the crew being human and vulnerable, brave and willing to die for humanity, and...just being human. It's really cool to see that.

Also, I think the acting is outstanding. I love Edward J. Olmos, who plays Commander Adama, and the dude who plays Apollo is cool. The Starbuck charcter is too undisciplined for me; she's in the military and needs to respect the chain-of-command more, but she's a good pilot and I respect her. I love the lady who plays the president. She's confident and cool, yet rational and doesn't let her cancer get in the way of her decision-making. She also is a good check and balance to Adama, who's all military.

Baltar seems too erratic to me. His constant talking to himself should arouse suspicion. I wouldn't trust a nut case like him to create a Cylon detector.

I think BSG will continue to evolve and will hopefully go on for several seasons. I really like the show and am glad it's on alongside two other great shows!

Comment

I think that's sort of the reason I like it, as well as the great characters and the meaningful stories. I don't care what people saying about it being unoriginal because when I watch it feel like i'm watching something very fresh.
              I don't think it's unoriginal at all. I think it's got a lot going for it and exhibits a unique distinctiveness that sets it apart from other sci-fi shows/movies. That's what attracted to me to SG-1 in the first place; it was fairly unique. However, SG-1 has followed the path of conformity and has adopted cliches like time travel, alternate realities, etc. I don't think BSG will ever follow that path, so it should stay pretty unique.

Comment

count me in as a BSG lover. So angsty with the whole nuclear holocaust thing, the well-drawn characters each with their own baggage (Adama/Apollo/Starbuck -- a take off on the original's premise but SO much deeper and more mature), the incredibly stylized 'documentary' feel of the CGI -- those zooms in from WAY back in space into ships, what a great sense of 'space' they give!

Everything about the show makes it sci-fi of the first order.

Comment

Can anyone explain the organic tech in the Cylon Raider ships? I don't understand why they'd create ships like that when they are againt organic life. Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                    Can anyone explain the organic tech in the Cylon Raider ships? I don't understand why they'd create ships like that when they are againt organic life. Ideas?
                    i was wondering that myself. the human form cylons are organic too because they cant tell them apart from humans, even on a cellular level.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                      The human [cylons] are scary in that they believe in a "God" and blindly follow him into battle. Blind devotion = fanaticism, which is very deadly. They don't fear death. Their motives are not clear. They can pose as human and hide among us and strike out whenever they want to. That's pretty scary.
                      (Highlighting by me)

That is why I think the cylons are such a good enemy for the show. They are pretty unfathomable and that's quite rare to find - it's so much more usual for The Enemy in any SF show to be very humanlike in their motives and very transparent in their aims. The cylons are very scary indeed, they feel really *alien*, and the thing about 'god' is a very unexpected dimension.

Their motives might not even be clear to each other. They seem to have rather different agendas. The Boomer cylon certainly isn't quite in tune with the other cylons, and the others might or might not be working to the same end as each other; we really don't know. The finding out will be fun though, I'll bet.

Madeleine

Comment

Add me to the list.

I love this series. It's gritty, it's intelligent, it's dealing with human drama in a very compelling way. I like that there's tension between the characters, that they can be heros and yet have very human weaknesses. There's also the survival of the human race at stake.

All this makes for gripping television and I can't wait to see where they're going to take the story in season 2. And I haven't even finished watching S1 yet!

I also think the Cylons are one of the best villains in a long time. They're a strange hybrid of technology/human with an unexpected spiritual side to them. They creep me out. I'm also fascinated by them and have no idea what their agenda is. There a lot of layers to these villains - especially the human Cylons - and it's a welcome change from the one-note bad guys that tend to populate the scifi series these days.

I'm also pretty impressed by the cast. I wasn't crazy about all of them in the miniseries but they've all grown on me. Especially Edward James Olmos. I thought he was pretty stiff in the miniseries but I pretty much think he rocks now. I also wasn't sure about Starbuck - but she's now one of my favorite characters on the show. Also a lot of great supporting characters - Chief, Helo, etc.

I read that Scifi has ordered 20 episodes for S2 of BSG. Yay! Nice to see the show doing so well.
                        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                        X