Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA: Movie / Series : Funding : and a Hi !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA: Movie / Series : Funding : and a Hi !

Hi, a quick hello as this if my first post on the forum ... at all ! (apparently I am a Probie ! [I thought THAT was NCIS])... anyway .. hello ... Channel 5 in the UK has just stopped SG, as SGA ran out a few weeks ago.. and I am getting withdrawal symptoms already ... these take the form of utter boredom .. and thinking.

Now I tend to "twin" with McKay ... we think alike, I do feel so sorry for him ! ... But thinking is what I do best .. ( without the ...er ... or um ... business) ... and I have had a thought .... but it needs a little help to get it going ... so ....

I am wondering how many SGA fans there really are out there in the known Universe ( well on this particular planet anyway) .. If its in the hundreds then this idea is rather dead (unless Bill Gates is in there !!) But if its in the millions ... then ... maybe ... just maybe it might work ...

I tend to feel the makers of SGA dumped the series while it was in its prime ... and so many threads left without answers nor explored ( I was really warming to Todd) ... I suggest either getting another series made ... or the movie that was missing !

They do not want to throw money at it .. ... OK ... but I bet they would be happy enough to take the profits ... and I am sure there would be .. and quite a lot too ... so I have an idea ...

What about the idea of the Forum starting a legal entity to create a crowd funded film / series ... and reaping the rewards of the results ... the exposure of each person would be about the same as a cinema ticket if there is enough of us .. maybe a little more ... but if there are enough then the project could be a winner ... and perhaps even set a trend to enable other SCI Fi shows to be brought back to life ... ( SGA first ... and I want Weir back ! ) ..

I am no totally sure how to do this ... but I think it could be fun and interesting ... as well as profitable for the forum. (in PR if not money) The spin offs and merchandising could provide the forum with a mega amount and the profits from the film / series could go to provide the next film / series ... ... so they become self funding instead of a cash cow for a few, already rich, "investors" (bankers).

As for collecting the funds ... how about forming a charity .. the funds could them be collected by Paypal and we could sell unwanted junk on Ebay totally towards the funding project ...

IF there are enough people to do this ... it could be done in a very short time indeed and not cost anybody a lot at all !! Yet leave an enduring legacy to SGA and the Forum ...

Just think ... on the opening credits ... a FULL screen GWF Logo stating that funding for this film was provided exclusively from the fans .. and NOT a bunch of bankers making a buck !

So ..

What are your thoughts ?? There is no need to think "Can it be done" ... of course it CAN .. but ... will it?

I live in the UK (I am trying to escape... help me !) and people are always saying that "someone" should do something about whatever ... but never think of doing it themselves ... or forming a group to do so. We seem to have cornered the world market on apathy ...

As GWF is international I am hoping that there are enough "can do" people out there who may not have thought about this idea ...

As the funding supplier it would also allow a little leeway for us to get a few ideas into the script ... what would you like to hear / see in the series / film ...

If this idea appeals ... perhaps the mods might like to make a separate area for the funding and ideas sections ... perhaps GWF Film Mogul Area ?? ( or something ... )

Sometimes a book is better than the movie. SG-1 and SGA got both cancelled, yet each of them had at least a season worth of storytelling to do. SGU also had a good amount of storytelling to do when it got cancelled. It's been a few years since SG got cancelled, the sets and the props were sold and even the writers have moved on.

At this time, it's best to imagine what happened next to the characters than to see a scripted version of it. The writers were lucky with SG-1, because they got the opportunity to wrap up most of it in the two SG-1 movies and it's already been stated by Brad Wright that they're not doing the third SG-1, the SGA or the SGU movie.

The cast members have already moved on as well and I doubt that most of them would agree to come back after all this time. We, the fans, are better off imagining what happened next to the SGA characters, to Atlantis, the Wraith situation and did they ever found the real Wier and did they ever manage to save her life. Same goes for SG-1 and SGU.

I myself like to imagine that Atlantis was moved back to the Pegasus Galaxy, that Wier was rescued and eventually allowed to lead the expedition to the final victory against the Wraith.
    For SG-1, I like to think that the characters have moved on and returned to their normal lives by now, they all got married and each of them started their own family life. SGU is more complicated, because we didn't even get to see the first half of the story (5 seasons/2=2.5 seasons), but I imagine that those characters got back home safe and sound as well.

If SG ever starts again, it's better of setting a new continuity with new characters and setting, new writers, because the more than enough damage has already been done.

Comment

Speaking as the forum manager here....I am NOT comfortable with ANY fundraising here. I do make exceptions for various known and documented charities - such as an announcement about a Sanctuary for Kids fundraising auction, but stuff like raising money for a movie?

Not only are we talking the need for millions of dollars, we're also talking a massive legal mess over who owns what. (Not to mention the fact that MGM securely owns all rights to Stargate and have shown no signs of wanting to share.)

If folks want to discuss theory, ok. But if any funds start exchanging hands then we have an issue.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        (Not to mention the fact that MGM securely owns all rights to Stargate and have shown no signs of wanting to share.)
        Hence my idea of getting it crowd funded ... so that there would be enough to buy the rights to a "long dead" title that they have no intention of using ... I am sure they would sell for the right money ...

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        But if any funds start exchanging hands then we have an issue.
        Hence the idea of forming a charity .. external to all .. with the correct legal framework and trustees ... to keep it going on a correct legal basis. I am NOT saying .. "send it to me" ... or "send it to the Forum" ... I said " starting a legal entity" so it was totally legal and above board.

I would love to see a new version with all the special effects that the last few years could bring ... the original series was getting better each time .. but imagine what a nice new set of Award winning special effects ( the like of "Gravity" and so on could do ... )

As for actors "having moved on" ... The only one I know of is Don S Davis ( Bless his soul) .. the rest are still here and, I suspect, as eager as ever to have a wage packet! Actors are actors and they work for money ... offer them a chance to earn and I bet they would be quite happy to jump back into the character they had ... and more!

I will wait to see what other replies are forthcoming ... though I was expecting a more positive reply ...

BTW ... it has to be said ... I have no idea of how to implement any of the ideas I have suggested ... THAT would have to be worked out IF there are sufficient numbers interested ...

Comment

We're not saying that your idea is bad, it's just... impossible to make it become reality.

Ok. Let's say that we somehow gather the needed millions JUST TO GET THE NEEDED ELEMENTS TO GET THE SHOW GOING AGAIN - sets, props, costumes, actors, crew. Then what? We would still need to work with MGM and maybe even sign some kind of official contracts with them in order to make it happen. But in that case, we would have to share the ownership of the Stargate TV franchise with them (for the movie part of the franchise, we would need Roland Emmerich to join because he made the original movie). And here is where we run into even more problems.

The TV series were created by Brad Wright, Jonathan Glassner, Robert C. Cooper, Carl Binder, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie and Martin Gero, so it would be the best choice to work with them to continue with the TV series. However, on the other side, the original movie was created by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin and considering that the series is no logner of an interest to MGM, I think they'd be more willing to work with Emmerich and maybe Devlin to get the Stargate Franchise re-booted with a movie trilogy. Roland Emmerich wanted to tell his own story and judging by the article on the original movie on Wikipedia (if it's correct), we can expect a new trilogy of Stargate movies in 2015:

In the fall of 2013, original Stargate movie director Roland Emmerich was granted the rights to reboot the Stargate Franchise into a new trilogy of movies, set for release in 2015.
          Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate, http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/rol...t-of-stargate/

So I think we can safely put this foundation thing to rest. Emmerich got the rights to re-boot the franchise. And even if he wouldn't, MGM would still want a complete series re-boot because of the bad ratings the series had had in its final few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomenclature View Post
            As for actors "having moved on" ... The only one I know of is Don S Davis ( Bless his soul) .. the rest are still here and, I suspect, as eager as ever to have a wage packet! Actors are actors and they work for money ... offer them a chance to earn and I bet they would be quite happy to jump back into the character they had ... and more!
            Actually, by now the main actors are working because they WANT to work and not for the money. The main actors don't even have to work if they don't want to. However, a few of them are still quite devoted to their series, and would likely want to participate even if they didn't get paid a huge amount of money.

Comment

Hi .. well if the movies are set to pop out next year ... I am wasting my time then ... still nice to know ...

As for impossible ... the word is 2 letters to long ... the first 2 ... ...almost anything is possible in an infinite universe ... awkward, expensive, hard work .. maybe ... but possible none the less ... but it needs a positive attitude ... ( Something I learned from America .. a long time ago ... shame it, too, seems to have died) ...

Its dreaming of the possible that makes sci fi.... sci fact ! .. when Star trek started 50 years ago we didn't have any of the technology they were supposed to have ... now we have almost all of it (though I am slight worried about looking for antimatter at Cern and trying to make black holes of ANY size!) ...

Have you noticed that in the old days ... people didn't take "NO" as the answer ... Thomas Edison took 10,000 attempts to get the impossible light bulb to function ... and thanks to him we had light ... then others added bits to it and we got valves ... the computers would never have existed if he and taken any notice of people saying "NO" ...

Oddly enough we seem to have been able to kill off any new discoveries by saying "NO" to people often enough ... in the end they believe it ... shame ...

So ... impossible ... too long ...

Let's see if the movies occur ... if they do .. great ... if not ... in the words of a well known android ... "I'll be back" ...

Comment

Weather something will be done or not, they're probably going to feature a new story, a new setting, new cast and characters and a new set when Stargate is revived/re-booted, either in a shape of a movie or in a shape of a TV series or in a shape of books/comics. I'm still a Stargate fan and I do want more Stargate, however, I'm comfortable with how the three series ended after re-watching all of them and in my opinion, everyone should be in the same place. Someone messed up somewhere and the entire franchise suffered because of it. Now it just needs to rest for a while before it tells a story again.

To me, after thinking about it for a while, the whole trilogy re-boot thing seems unrealistic, especially in these times. But who knows, Emmerich might just be able to pull it off this time or he might not. We can just wait and see how this pans out. But one thing is sure: Stargate is coming back. We just don't know when and how.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomenclature View Post
                  Hi .. well if the movies are set to pop out next year ... I am wasting my time then ... still nice to know ...

As for impossible ... the word is 2 letters to long ... the first 2 ... ...almost anything is possible in an infinite universe ... awkward, expensive, hard work .. maybe ... but possible none the less ... but it needs a positive attitude ... ( Something I learned from America .. a long time ago ... shame it, too, seems to have died) ...

Its dreaming of the possible that makes sci fi.... sci fact ! .. when Star trek started 50 years ago we didn't have any of the technology they were supposed to have ... now we have almost all of it (though I am slight worried about looking for antimatter at Cern and trying to make black holes of ANY size!) ...

Have you noticed that in the old days ... people didn't take "NO" as the answer ... Thomas Edison took 10,000 attempts to get the impossible light bulb to function ... and thanks to him we had light ... then others added bits to it and we got valves ... the computers would never have existed if he and taken any notice of people saying "NO" ...

Oddly enough we seem to have been able to kill off any new discoveries by saying "NO" to people often enough ... in the end they believe it ... shame ...

So ... impossible ... too long ...

Let's see if the movies occur ... if they do .. great ... if not ... in the words of a well known android ... "I'll be back" ...
                  if you get anything going, i'll participate.

i'd try facebook or twitter to find pro-active stargate fans, though, b/c they are few and far between on this forum now. you'll get more time spent on how it can't be done than how it could. seriously, my friend, try another place.

and don't forget to come and get me if you find some enthusiastic/pro-active fans!
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    i'd try facebook or twitter to find pro-active stargate fans, though, b/c they are few and far between on this forum now. you'll get more time spent on how it can't be done than how it could. seriously, my friend, try another place.
                    Possibly because there are a lot of people here who think more realisticly.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Possibly because there are a lot of people here who think more realisticly.
                      You called?
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Excellent idea! I wish I had the money to support something like that, but I don't even have a real job right now, so . . . *sigh*
                        sigpichttp://www.strawpoll.me/11228381

Comment

Working...
                        X