This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tok'ra Question

This is something that has been bothering me for a long time. Why to the Tauri insist on contining relations with the Tok'ra? They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. The Tok'ra (as a group) don't seem to do very much to further their end of the alliance, even when they were operating at normal capacity. If the Tauri are expected to share all information relating to the Goa'uld, why shouldn't the Tok'ra do the same? Several times they have given up information only when it became unavoidable. For example, they suspected the existance of the zatarc mind control technology, yet did not inform the SGC so they could not take steps against it.

The picture I've seen of the Tok'ra is that they are a bunch of lesser Goa'uld without all of the bad habits. An yet they go on and on about NEVER taking an unwilling host, yet Jolinar did it at least once, possibly twice (the Naysian and Carter). Spoiler in white- Season 5 Summit/Last StandLantash took Elliot as an unwilling host. At the least the Tok'ra seem to hold themselves as being somehow "above" mere unblended humans. Do the Tauri really need to continue this alliance?
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Well there is now alliance now is there.

Comment

Well no there is not, but an aliance was worth anyway.
      The Tokra did also a lot to SGC,
      e.g.: curing Jack, a lot of infos, helping to solve some problems (the naquadah meteorit...) etc.
      "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Yeah, I think they're ok to have as an ally, better some information and help than no information and help - look at when they tried to retrofit a death glider - Jacob/Selmak had to come and help, he did it without even thinking twice.

Comment

Maybe so. but still: Jolinar took Carter as an unwilling host, something the Tok'ra never do. In "The Tok'ra (Part 1)" the Tok'ra say there is nothing the Tauri can offer them except hosts. In "Jolinar's Memories" Lantash withholds details of the mission until they absolutely cannot proceed without them. In "The Devil You Know" Aldwin decides SG-1 is expendable and nearly kills them. In "Upgrades" Anise uses O'Neill, Jackson and Carter as labrats, and even sends them on a mission, knowing the experiment could go wrong at any time. After Shau'nac gives her snake to the Tok'ra, Anise refuses to allow the Tauri to ask him for information. It seems to me that they've gotten the most out of this bargin. Even O'Neill's cure didn't go as planned.

[i]Spoiler - Abyss
          Kanan took Jack into Ba'al's secret base on a mission he knew nothing about
          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Well thats the Tokra mentality. You just need to understand them better, understand their position. Anyway their would be no SGC now without The Tokra helping SGC to get rid of The Reetou and many more problems.

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Yeah, a little ally is better than no ally

*feeling Deja Vouxiersz... damn French spelling*

Comment

Yes, but how many times have we done things after receiving Tok'ra intel?

Comment

A lot of times!

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                    Yes, but how many times have we done things after receiving Tok'ra intel?
                    And how many of those would have been unnecessary had the Tok'ra not interfered?

Comment

Well, they're better to have as an ally than as an enemy. Anyway, since the SGC & the Tok'ra are both working for the same thing, it makes sense for them to work together.

Comment

It would if they would ever, well... Actually work together. The majority of the Tok'ra seem to think the Tauri are just a bothersome, but somewhat helpful, group of humans. Won't go into detail here, but I'm thinking of "Death Knell" in particular as an example of this.

Comment

True, but then think of eps like Jolinars Memories/The Devil You Know. It's unlikely Martouf would have been able to rescue Jacob without SG1. I know it's only a minor example, but still...

Comment

Maybe so. But in those episodes Martouf was very secretive about the plan in general. As well Aldwin (supported by the High Council) deciding Carter, O'Neil, Teal'c, Selmak and Lantash weren't worth saving at all.

Could just be that I have an unrational dislike for the Tok'ra.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                              Why to the Tauri insist on contining relations with the Tok'ra? They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. The Tok'ra (as a group) don't seem to do very much to further their end of the alliance, even when they were operating at normal capacity. If the Tauri are expected to share all information relating to the Goa'uld, why shouldn't the Tok'ra do the same? Several times they have given up information only when it became unavoidable.
                              You've just described the alliance that the U.S. has with Russia concerning matters of the stargate. In any alliance, each party will put its own best interests above that of a common goal.

While the tok'ra and taur'i share a common enemy, they have opposing methods on how to defeat that enemy. The tok'ra infiltrate and sabotage. The taur'i go with a frontal assualt. Of course there will be conflict. But working together is better than seperate efforts that may undermine what the other is doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X