Good high fantasy reads ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good high fantasy reads ?

Can anyone suggest me a good high fantasy read like LoTR, A song of fire and ice ?

Magician series or the Fionavar Tapestry.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I don't know that I'd classify them as *high* fantasy, but any of David and Leigh Eddings' series are wonderful! The Belgariad/Mallorean; Elenium/Tamuli; The Redemption of Althalus. Wonderful reads!
      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I quite liked Wheel of Time. Although the series will take you awhile to read. Took over a year for me
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Elizabeth Moon's Legend of Paksenarrion series is quite good. She also writers very good reasonably hard sci-fi, so read the blurb on the back before buying.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            Elizabeth Moon's Legend of Paksenarrion series is quite good. She also writers very good reasonably hard sci-fi, so read the blurb on the back before buying.
            Was going to mention the Paks books. There are also the prequels (two) that tell the story of Gird and also sequels (four. Number five not out yet) that expand on all the characters and the world as a whole.

Also try Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.
            sigpic

Comment

I've never been sure what the definition of high fantasy is.

But the works of Robin Hobb are quite good; the Assassin/Liveship/Tawny Man trilogies of books. (but rather dark and depressing in parts.)
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

The Chronicles Trilogy is good and follows LOTR style in many ways.
                sigpic

Comment

Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
                  Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
                  All of the Midkemia books by Raymond E. Feist
                  Belgariad - David Eddings
                  Lightbringer series - Brent Weeks

Comment

I found this site, found a couple of new series to read. Might help.

http://www.fantasyhomeland.com

Comment

Stephen Donaldson - The Thomas Covenant series.

And seconding the recommendation for anything by Raymond E Feist.

I don't know if it qualifies as high fantasy but Juliet Marillier is a very talented NZ author.

Comment

I thought Juliet Marillier was from Australia. And I'd consider her novels more historical/ folklore fantasy. Though I may just be thinking of the Sevenwaters series.
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                          I thought Juliet Marillier was from Australia. And I'd consider her novels more historical/ folklore fantasy. Though I may just be thinking of the Sevenwaters series.
                          No, you're right, historical fantasy. But still a great read.

But she's most definitely a kiwi

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
                            No, you're right, historical fantasy. But still a great read.

But she's most definitely a kiwi
                            I might be mixing up the county with that of Kate Forsyth, who I think is an Aussie.
                            sigpic
                            Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

I recommend Kristen Britain's Green Rider series. These are more of a fun read. Though they have plenty of evil villains and monsters, they aren't as gritty and depressing as some fantasy books.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Rider-Bo...risten+britain

Comment

Working...
                              X