References in SGA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References in SGA ?

I don't know if there is already a thread covering it, but I wonder if someone tallied all the external references in SGA.
    I spotted some, but I'm sure there are others
    like:
    - Star Track (movie) reference in Inferno (IMO the best of all)

McKAY: And I have, uh, discovered the ship's name. (He looks at his computer tablet.) It's the, um, Hippaforalkus.
    SHEPPARD: The what?!
    McKAY: Yeah, well, it appears to have been named after an Ancient general ... Hippaforalkus.
    SHEPPARD: Well, we're not calling it that!
    McKAY: Oh good, then what about, um ...
    SHEPPARD: And we're not calling it the Enterprise either!

- lots of Star Wars (movie) references (Chewie used 2 times - in Condemned (Shep to Ronon: "Take it easy, Chewie -- you're gonna cut your damned hands off") and in Daedalus Variations (Shep to Ronon:"Easy, Chewie! Those buttons are your friends!Just keep trying!"); R2D2 in The Lost Boys (Shep to the dart: "R2, I need you to turn the auto pilot off! Now! (He looks at the screen but nothing happens.) Worth a try."))

- Back to the Future (movie) reference in Before I Sleep:

FORD: Is time travel even possible?
    McKAY: Well, according to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, there's nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you -- you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time.
    SHEPPARD: Not to mention a really nice DeLorean

- Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck's book) reference in Duet:

McKAY: "Well, what are we -- mice or men, hmm?"

- Princess Bride (movie) quote in The Return p1

- Alamo (historical event) reference in The Gift

McKAY: "Now what was that we were supposed to all remember? It was something important ... uh, oh yes, that's right -- the Alamo!"

- Braveheart (movie) reference in Condemned (lol!)

And I'm sure lots of episode titles are some references too.

Thanks for your help!
    sigpic

Uh, I forgot The Wizard of Oz (Frank Baum's story) references:
    - in Condemned
    Sheppard:"Hi, folks. I hope I didn't crash-land on anybody."

- in Aurora
    Sheppard: "There's no place like home?"

And The Story of the Three Bears reference in Condemned:

McKAY: What are you ... oh my God, he's tasting it! You don't know what that is -- that could be their laundry!
    DEX (having already taken a mouthful): Very good!
    McKAY: Oh yes, good idea! And when you're finished with their porridge, why don't we try their beds, hmm?
    Last edited by zbir; 24 January 2014, 08:33 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

alien was mentioned in the episode where they were having bad dreams about shepherd. When Keller has a dream about something coming out of Tayla's stomach.

not a direct reference but "the game" reminds me of Sim's city. In that you invent a civilization (city) and try to advance the people. Of course in the episode it turns out to be real.
      sigpic

Comment

Oh, yes, Alien! I forgot about that! Thank you! (I never heard about Sim city)

And they mention the movie Blades of Glory in Outcast.

And didn't McKay say somwhere "What am I? MacGyver?"
        Last edited by zbir; 24 January 2014, 09:05 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Its a computer game where you build a city. Sims the original are houses.
          sigpic

Comment

Didn't Sheppard make a Jaws reference when trying to get the smoky entity into a container? (I think it was in "Hide and Seek")

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
              Didn't Sheppard make a Jaws reference when trying to get the smoky entity into a container? (I think it was in "Hide and Seek")

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
              D'oh! How could I forgot about that! Good find!

And another Jaws reference in Quarantine:

KELLER: The oxygen tanks, maybe?
              DEX: Right! Shoot ‘em like Sheriff Brody did in the movie “Jaws.”
              KELLER: Yeah, I know, I've seen it. How do you ...?
              DEX: Sheppard showed it to me. It was a good movie!

And two more references in The Hive:

BECKETT [about Rodney's withdrawal]: No, not yet. Our conversation was of a different sort. I feel not unlike the priest in “The Exorcist”.

BOUNCER: We're not giving you anything.
              McKAY: Then I can't dial the Gate.
              BOUNCER: That's what I said.
              McKAY: What is this, an Abbott and Costello routine?! Look, just give me the damned crystals!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                Its a computer game where you build a city. Sims the original are houses.
                I think my nephews are playing something like that online (they have villages and they upgrade them). The only strategy games I played are Dune and Heroes 3.

But your sign reminds me of something: in Inquisition isn't it another Star Treck ref?

SHEPPARD: What's this, a Pegasus version of the United Nations?
                WOOLSEY: Nothing quite so formal. At the moment it's more of a loose coalition.
                McKAY: Is there any advanced technology in this coalition?
                WOOLSEY: No, but the I.O.A. believes it could be an important first step toward interplanetary government – a federation, if you will.
                McKAY: The Federation had ships!
                sigpic

Comment

yes it is.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Thank you!

And I think there are some references hidden in the episodes titles:

- Peter Pan reference in "The Lost Boys"

- Hamlet references in "This Mortal Coil" and "Be All My Sins Rememberd" (?)

Edit, because I just remembered it: in 38 Minutes, when Beckett says "I'm told you have something of a cling-on", is it a Star Treck reference (Klingon)?
                    Last edited by zbir; 25 January 2014, 06:20 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

As I was watching Critical Mass yesterday, I noticed the reference to 101 Dalmatians and Lord Of The Rings:

Lee: It's-it's-it's like the Twilight Bark. (Everyone looks at him blankly.) Twilight Bark? "Hundred and One Dalmatians?" Didn't you guys see that movie? My kids love it. Any ... Well, OK, so there's all these dogs (he turns to the board) and one barks here (he indicates Earth), one barks here, (he indicates P4M-399) one ... (He indicates Daedalus, then Atlantis.) They-they send a message across the countryside. (He turns to the table again but everyone is still silent and blank. Then he gets inspiration.) "Lord of the Rings." (The scientists immediately nod and smile.) "Lord of the Rings!" You know, when they light all those signal fires on the mountain tops? (The S.G. team now gets it and they nod and grin.) You saw that, right?! So, OK ...

And in Epiphany, we have Conan and Xena references (McKAY:" Because Colonel Sheppard would have already had hours to try to make it back through the portal in the time I wasted explaining the situation to Conan and Xena!") and a lovely reference to the movie Cast Away (Sheppard: "This is Sheppard. I'm pretty sure you can't hear me, but I don't have a volleyball to talk to, so what the hell").

//OK, people, I'm starting to develop some serious abandonment issues here
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by zbir View Post
                        Thank you!
                        Edit, because I just remembered it: in 38 Minutes, when Beckett says "I'm told you have something of a cling-on", is it a Star Treck reference (Klingon)?
                        Yep, the look on Beckett's face after he says it tell you that one
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

OK, hope this is the last bunch:

- Commodore 64 (old generation computer) reference in Doppelganger (one of my favorite funny quotes):
                          SHEPPARD: Looks like one of those toys you play with when you're a kid.
                          McKAY: What, Commodore 64?
                          DEX: Triple-barrelled shotgun?
                          SHEPPARD (pointedly): A kaleidoscope!

- Asteroids (video game) reference in Adrift:
                          McKAY: Looks like the old video game, Asteroids.
                          SHEPPARD: Well, whatever works for you.
                          McKAY: I was terrible at Asteroids. I think I actually scored zero once.

- World of Warcraft (computer game) reference in The Return p1 (lol at the whole scene!)

- Evel Knievel (entertainer) and Batman (comic book) references in Irresponsible

Fantastic Four (comic book) reference in First Strike
                          - SHEPPARD: Well, that’s why we’re a team, like the Fantastic Four.
                          It’s a comic book where superheroes fight crime and stuff. See, I’d be Mr Fantastic; Ronon would be The Thing; McKay would be the Human Torch ... (he looks at Teyla) ... you’d be the Invisible Woman.

- Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy (TV shows) in The Long Goodbye (another great lol scene!)

DEX: Jeopardy?
                          McKAY: It's the name of the show -- "Jeopardy".
                          DEX: Sounds dangerous.
                          SHEPPARD: Double jeopardy -- that's twice as dangerous.

- Loony Tunes (catoon) reference in Phantoms

(McKAY: "Even if we could somehow manually dial, there’s no power. Your pal, Major Looney Tunes, knew exactly where to set the charge.")

- Moby Dick - referred in Doppelganger (which, btw, could be a reference to the romantic literature motif)

(McKAY: "Really? You think you can't control a person's dreams? My father read me "Moby Dick" when I was seven years old. I mean, seriously, what was the man thinking? D'you have any idea how long I had nightmares about being eaten by a whale?")

- Nightmare on Elm Street reference in Hide And Seek (and I guess Sheppard's story is from another horror movie I can't identify)

Whew!
                          sigpic

Comment

...Or maybe not

- War and Peace (Lev Tolstoi's book) reference (duh!) in Home

- lots of Captain Kirk (the Star Treck character) references: in "The Defiant One" (McKAY: There's no point in you being out there. SHEPPARD: He's aboard my ship. McKAY: What are you, Captain Kirk?!); in "McKay and Mrs. Miller" (McKAY: Yeah. She’s married, and she’s my sister. SHEPPARD: I’m just saying hi. McKAY: Yeah. No, I know exactly what you’re doing. I’ve seen that look before ... Kirk.) and in "Sanctuary" (McKay:The whole Captain Kirk routine is problematic to say the least, let alone morally dubious.(...) Oh my god, he is Kirk! )

- Donovan (the folk singer) reference in The Real World
                            O'NEILL: I don't know anything about Atlantis ... except that it was a fairly mediocre Donovan song, not one of my favourites.

- Aqua Velva (brand of aftershave) in Runner

SHEPPARD: How come it smells like I'm on vacation?
                            McKAY: Mmm, could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
                            SHEPPARD: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
                            McKAY: Like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

"Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

(or maybe not)
                            sigpic

Comment

Nobody remembered this one:

Sheppard: He's worse than Dr. McCoy.
                              Teyla: Who?
                              Sheppard: The TV character that Dr. Beckett plays in real life.

Comment

Working...
                              X