• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Endings (213)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    HAPPY ENDINGS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 213
    Monroe leads Charlie and Connor on a dangerous mission to his old scene, and Neville gets a new assignment from the President. Elsewhere Aaron and Priscilla reunite with an old friend, who has found his own remarkable use for the nanites.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 February 2014, 09:36 PM.

Happy Endings
    Spoiler:
    Religion, it's such a touchy subject. It's also a subject that has been countlessly pointed on by many other shows. Lost, Stargate (all series), even Supernatural. However, this episode tackles religion in a unique aspect in that it involves nanites. Oh my god! Super powerful nanites is about to take a whack at religion. Oh and Rachel, Miles, Connor, Monroe, and Charlie are in this too.

I'm going to get straight to the religious part first. It's pretty clear what they're going for, nanites do anything they can, nanites are like god so why not have someone heal a person just to make that clear? I mean we do get that there is a singular consciousness inside of everything but there's nothing we haven't seen before. We've seen the religious aspects of praying, we've seen the songs but it just seems like that they're added in order to hammer in the Christianity aspect of it. Look, I understand why we have faith, it's something that keeps us going, it's something that helps explains much of the miracles out there, it's something that is a part of our daily lives but what can the nanites provide us that no other show can't? Maybe they can show that there are prophets out there who are willing to abuse their powers, maybe it shows that religion is all about self servedness and it's shown when the prophet character David locks Aaron and Percilla in a room but seriously, what can Revolution do that Lost cannot?

Furthering the religious angle is Aaron and Pricilla who could be considered the mother and father at this point, as they travel to Lubbock, Texas; they meet up with an old friend who just happens to be Jesus, their plot is nothing more than just "This isn't god, this is nanites." and "You just so happen to be abusing the nanites for your own purpose", however it does explain the consequences of what happens when you create an AI. You create something that's autonomous and deadly at the same time, you create what happens to be the end of one era and the beginning of another such as the end of electricity and the beginning of faith and recklessness. They do nothing but mope and talk about the consequences but there is a best part about the plot and that is them being locked up in a hotel room. That means that they can't go anywhere, we don't have to deal with them as much as we did in the past and it allows for more candid interaction between the two. Hey, it's better than the writers flaunting their superiority at us.

The powers of religion.

Now that it's out of the way, we can focus on the main plot which is the return to New Vegas which provides us with more exploration and more depth than once thought possible. It shows us the reckless nature by having fire and beating everywhere; it shows us the desperation by having Diamonds as a valuable resource and most of all, it shows us the variety by having musical acts and mystical artifacts. Who would of known a world would have such variety other than murderous warlords who kill people, crazy people who trap them in desolate locations and Patriots who are worse than the Militia. It does get a bit Star Trek by having interaction with a female character about mercenaries but then it transfers into a heist that transplants the best of the first episode of the second season with the heist movies like "The Italian Job", it definitely has the cinematography to pass for a heist movie with wide angle shots and shifty looks and it definitely has the cleverness such as the distractions and the chase which fits in with it's heist mood in addition it successfully tricks you by showing what really happened then showing that they couldn't get away with it. Hey, how else would they set up the second-half of the second-half of the season.

In addition the fight scene is perfectly reminiscent of the fight scenes in other movies. You get to see Monroe fighting, you get to see him being beat up initially before finally finding the inspiration to kick his butt and win the fight. Sure, it may serve as a distraction but it's a good distraction that shows us where Monroe was at in the beginning and where Monroe is at now, a strong person who knows how to fight; especially considering the WWEness of the best fighter. Definitely a character improvement from way back in the season. Now it would be something that would save the episode but get this, they include romance into the thing. You have Rachel and Miles taking a trip to a drive-in movie theater in order to kiss and retcon their relationship; sure, it's romantic but it's time wasting and smaltzy, especially considering the reason and the pick up lines they use; it's almost as if they were trying to make us root for them, bleh. It seems like the relationship between Charlie and Monroe is over as the writers have them obviously pair up with Connor with such lines as "I'm not like those chicks", it's not as smaltzy but it's so obvious and complacent that it's not even romantic. They even drive it in with them having sex which is too sudden and too quick but understandable considering the "Happy Ending" mood that they were trying to establish. Still...

The wonders of New Vegas.

So with the Olympic break coming up, I guess I get a nice comfy island to relax on but this was a poor way to end things. Romance, obvious religious bull and time-wasting bring the episode down, especially once you think about what this show hasn't already done compared to other shows. But the heist brings the episode back up and at least Nevill's plot seems interesting in that he's trying to get his wife back and trick his way into killing Monroe. Still. I'm tired of religion not being explored properly and if this is the route that it's going to take than I'm unfortunately along for the ride; still, an episode not worth watching.
    3.5/10
    Back from the grave.

Comment

I liked this episode, not as much as the last one though. I like that Tom and Jason are in Willoughby now. The New Vegas part of the story was interesting. I'm not a fan of Miles and Rachel as a couple. Aaron's storyline is ok, I guess. Not really a fan of how quickly everyone seems to get from place to place now, as opposed to earlier in the season. I suppose they're trying to speed things along, but I'm finding it kind of annoying.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, after the Olympics, I hate waiting though lol.
      sigpic

Comment

Same boat. I hate the wait, especially since I watch through HuluPlus and will be seeing very little if any of the Olympics. Time to catch up on other stuff I guess.

As far as this episode goes, I wasn't a big fan. It was okay. I don't know. I really don't give the show much thought anymore. I just watch to watch and hope they come up with something provocative. Not much of that lately. It seems like every thing they spring is painfully predictable.

Comment

It can be pretty predictable(especially lately), and that can be a bit annoying at times. The characters need to stop getting caught/imprisoned in every episode too. That's been happening so much lately, that it's become funny. Honestly though, I'd rather a show be predictable, than just throw in random twists and deaths for shock value.

I'm still enjoying the show a lot overall. I watch it mainly for the characters though, and not so much for the plot.
          sigpic

Comment

Am I the only one wondering how the Patriots managed to manufacture a disease and antidote without electricity? I guess that's another plothole...

I'm also completely annoyed with Aaron and Priscilla; how could they even be surprised about their friend's involvement and the reason behind the trip when knowing how the nanites got them to meet up and are apparently aware of all these never-heard-of-before people who were involved in creating the nanites. I guess I can understand TPTB not wanting just Aaron being 'in control' of the nanites and thus added Priscilla and the guy whose name I've already forgotten (Pete? Peter?), but it's just a bit silly considering what they previously told us about Aaron's background and his marriage/relationship with Priscilla.

Oh and a question: are the fireflies only visible to Aaron, Priscilla and now the new guy or was everyone in that church as blind as the woman who got healed? I mean, those fireflies were super obvious yet no one seemed to take note! Or do they think God has decided to do his work/miracles through fireflies now? I thought others had seen them too back when it was still all about Aaron but with how many things this show is retconning I can't be sure.

Oh and I was mildly surprised for about 5 seconds when it became clear that Charlie was going to hook up with Monroe Junior instead of Senior as had been implied for quite a while now. The moment Junior was introduced and decided to go back with them (how unsurprising), I figured he was going to be Charlie's love interest considering Jason wasn't an option anymore (well, maybe he will be now that the Nevilles are back) and was surprisingly around the same age. Just didn't think they'd get together so soon and so... well, lame. TPTB are really bad about creating romantic relationship. The only one that might have worked was between Aaron and his now-dead girlfriend whose name I can't remember, but they never even showed us how they got together; they just were and then we learned they met at the school etc.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

VW, I agree with you about getting around too quickly-At least with Tom and Jason from D.C. to Willoughby I'm assuming they went by train(compliments of the Patriot government)but the others are getting around too fast on foot.(or by horse and carriage)
              As for Charlie and Conner-too fast ,too fast, too fast- Unless they're trying to show us how jaded with life she is, and it was just a one nighter.
              I actually kind of like the "messiah" angle, with David? was that his name?

Comment

I pretty much knew Charlie and Connor would eventually get together(as soon as they said Monroe had a son last season, I figured he'd end up a love interest for Charlie if they ever brought him on). I was fine with them sleeping together so soon because Charlie didn't seem to act like it was a serious thing, or that it was that big a deal. I also do think that they were trying to show how jaded she'd gotten. I don't really care much if they get serious later on(after they actually get to know each other). I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a Connor/Charlie/Jason love triangle(not that I'd want to see that).

I never saw the whole Charlie/Monroe thing, and didn't think the show would/should go there. I honestly thought it was weird/surprising that people saw romantic chemistry between them. I thought they had chemistry, but more of a reluctant allies, or mentor/student type chemistry(kind of like Miles and Charlie last season). To me, Monroe seemed interested in Charlie because he needed her to lead him to Miles, and he wanted to protect her because she is really important to Miles, and Miles was like family to him. He seems to view her as a kid. I would lose all respect for Charlie as a character if she decided to sleep/enter into a relationship with Monroe. It would also really turn me off to the show, I already really dislike Miles and Rachel's relationship.

I think the other guy's name is Peter, but I'm really not sure lol.

I'm not sure if the people there could see the fireflies. I think Miles or Rachel mentioned being able to see them earlier in the season, but I'm not sure either. I don't really like how they seem to keep changing the nanite/AI storyline.

The Patriots may have had access to a pendant(s) and could have developed diseases and antidotes while they still worked, if they needed the electricity to do that.
                Last edited by VampyreWraith; 04 February 2014, 02:03 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

^^ I agree I never saw a Charlie/Monroe thing at all either and I don't think the writers would go there -not to mention Monroe was responsible for Danny's death-I see a grudging truce-plus he saved her life but no romance.
                  I also see a Charlie/Jason/Conner Triangle, Conner will fall for Charlie, but Charlie more interested in Jason.
                  I also don't think the townspeople can see the fireflies.

Comment

^ I agree; between being at least partly responsible for Danny's and Ben's deaths, holding Rachel captive and having her tortured, sending out men to try to hunt down and kill Charlie and her friends/family last season, I really can't see Charlie falling for/getting into a relationship with Monroe. The writers seem to be trying to show that Charlie is a smart, strong and independent young woman; having her sleep with Monroe, after everything he's done, and the pain he's caused her and her family, isn't a good way to go about that(in my opinion, anyway). I can see her working with him, and maybe eventually forgiving him, but not getting romantically involved with him.

I kind of like the dynamic between Charlie and Connor right now; but if it came between Jason or Connor, I think Charlie would end up choosing Jason as well. I really didn't like Charlie and Jason together last season; mostly because of the way they handled that relationship early on(Jason basically did nothing but stalk and flirt with Charlie for half a season). Jason still needs more character development, but I like him for the most part, and I think he'd be better for Charlie than Connor, so I wouldn't mind them together eventually.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      Am I the only one wondering how the Patriots managed to manufacture a disease and antidote without electricity? I guess that's another plothole...
                      Perhaps they had another "Tower" like facility shielded from the nanites, but it was smaller and only set up for medical research.??

I'm also completely annoyed with Aaron and Priscilla; how could they even be surprised about their friend's involvement and the reason behind the trip when knowing how the nanites got them to meet up and are apparently aware of all these never-heard-of-before people who were involved in creating the nanites. I guess I can understand TPTB not wanting just Aaron being 'in control' of the nanites and thus added Priscilla and the guy whose name I've already forgotten (Pete? Peter?), but it's just a bit silly considering what they previously told us about Aaron's background and his marriage/relationship with Priscilla.'
                      Agreed. I can see adding Priscilla to the list, as she was his beau in college, which is suppsedly where he made the program up. but now a third person is in the mix? Are they just trying to come up with stuff out of their behinds???

Oh and a question: are the fireflies only visible to Aaron, Priscilla and now the new guy or was everyone in that church as blind as the woman who got healed? I mean, those fireflies were super obvious yet no one seemed to take note! Or do they think God has decided to do his work/miracles through fireflies now? I thought others had seen them too back when it was still all about Aaron but with how many things this show is retconning I can't be sure.
                      Maybe they ARE only visible to them. I remember twice earlier, Aaron mentioning he was seeing them and rachael/daddy being close by and NOT commenting they saw them.. So who knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X