Seasons 9 and 10 -- Worth Watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasons 9 and 10 -- Worth Watching?

Okay, I got into SG-1 a while ago and absolutely loved it to bits. Seriously, best TV show ever. I just watched the beginning of season 9. At first I was devastated to find that the team was broken up--but then downright angry when I saw the new villains.

So, the Goauld are gone--what to do? Oh, I know! Let's recycle them entirely and come up with some new bad guys. Different magic powers, Christian theme instead of Egypt, and BAM! Two more seasons.

So, basically now I want to know whether season 9 and 10 are at all worth watching, or whether they'll just ruin it for me.

They're not as good as the older seasons, but very much worth watching. There's even a few classics like Ripple Effect(where dozens of alternate SG-1's show up) and Avatar(Teal'c gets stuck in a video game.)

Ben Browder and Claudia Black quickly blend in. And hell, the Ori are not THAT horrible bad guys. They do make them look a lot tougher than the Goa'uld.

The only real complaint I have is how stylish everything went. Instead of green camoflage jackets and loads of guns and caution we have black vests and double P-90s. Because they look cool.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Yup, its worth watching! Simple answer. I too felt bad about the team split but in the end wasn't that bad. What I disliked the most was something that happened in season 10 with a race we all know and love

Comment

It depends, worth watching once I'd say. Not really worth buying the dvds for though.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

I have to agree that they ARE worth watching. Personally, I liked the Arthurian legends brought in for the Ori storyline and I am one of the few, I think, who liked the Ori and the arc surrounding them. I also loved the addition of Vala and for the most part, I liked Cam, too.

There are some really fun episodes, Rushy mentioned Ripple Effect, there are parts of that ep that make me LOL! the rest of Season 9 is kinda ho-hum in my opinion, but The Quest, Company of Thieves, Line in the Sand, and The Road Not Taken are my faves from Season 10.

Now, I'm not saying that I totally agree with the direction that TPTB took in the last 2 seasons, either. But, if you take it at face value, it's not the most horrible thing in the world
          sigpic

----------
          FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

I'm with Crazedwraith. You should at least watch them once, just so you can form your own opinion about the two seasons and also to better understand the two final movies, Ark of Truth and Continuum.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the latter seasons and/or the new!SG-1. I feel Mitchell is a poorly conceived character, Daniel turns into a more sarcastic GI Daniel, Vala becomes a laughable joke who only has her supposed sex appeal going for her, Teal'c is pretty much just there although he does get another Jaffa revenge thing and Sam is mostly sidelined because hey, Vala knows a lot about alien technology and she's a former host too & Mitchell is a lt col as well! I don't care much for Landry either, although it's mostly his character and not the acting (that's solid) and I really dislike Lam.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I like the stand-alone episodes, but I really don't like the Ori storylines, all that religious stuff is more of the same as the Wraith on SGA, and the Goa'uld to a certain extent. Vala annoys me but I like Mitchell.
              sigpic

Comment

I'd rather watch S9 and S10 than S7 and S8 where I felt that RDA was just phoning it and the stories were subpar because of his reduced schedule. Yes it was different but I think it was unavoidable that their was going to change. With all the cast changes (many beyond TPTB's control) and the defeat of old enemies their would have to be changes. I personally liked the Ori because of watching why the so many people believed in the Ori. They weren't forced to the extent that the Goa'uld were. I found that interesting. The doom and gloom of S10 was very entertaining to me
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Definitely worth it imho.....I couldn't imagine not finishing something I'd been watching for 8 previous seasons...It has it's faults, but then so did the previous 8 but as a series it stands the test of time...imho of course...

Deeds xx
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Yeah. Well, I guess I may get into S9 and 10, I may not. For me, it's not the SGC if O'neill doesn't command it. Anyway though, personally I think they should have stopped SG-1 even earlier. The defeat of Anubis was a cut above everything else in my opinion--the best TV episodes I've ever watched. Honestly, I think it should have ended then and there, though perhaps with maybe a bit of a "wrap up" to finish character storylines, such as the whole O'neill/Carter thing.

Comment

I found the 'new look' hard to deal with when I first watched seasons 9 & 10. Whilst it threw new characters at us to the detriment of the remaining SG-1 I felt, the stories were still entertaining Stargate adventures and that is why I continued to watch.

If anything I find myself appreciating 9 and 10 the more I re-watch them. I guess initially I didn't like the changes, but things change and watching these seasons with that in mind makes them more enjoyable. I'd say go for it and enjoy the adventure Stargate style!

Comment

Originally posted by Damnyouori View Post
                        Yeah. Well, I guess I may get into S9 and 10, I may not. For me, it's not the SGC if O'neill doesn't command it. Anyway though, personally I think they should have stopped SG-1 even earlier. The defeat of Anubis was a cut above everything else in my opinion--the best TV episodes I've ever watched. Honestly, I think it should have ended then and there, though perhaps with maybe a bit of a "wrap up" to finish character storylines, such as the whole O'neill/Carter thing.
                        yep!
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

IMO, they really should have finished the series at 8. For me, it's not SG1 without RDA. I have watched S9 and S10 twice, but I can really stop at S8 and be just fine. You do need to watch S9 and S10 to get what's going on in Arc of Truth though.

I'm still bitter about the way the Sam/Jack thing was done though. Hubby is military, and rules are bent all the time. The writers seemed to have take the frat rules far more seriously than the actual military does.

It helps that I write my own ff to make myself happy.
                          FF Name ~ Shoe Queen

Read my 2014 Sam and Jack Multimedia Awards nominated fics!

Galatea
                          I Saw Three Ships
                          What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
                          Staying Behind
                          Always Find You
                          Paper Flowers
                          The Things We Want
                          Have Yourself a Shippy Little Christmas

Comment

I didn't mind S9 or S10 for what they were, but I didn't enjoy them as S1-8. There are still good and enjoyable episodes in S9/10, but I didn't take the story lines as seriously as I did previously through the other seasons, I looked at it more as a separate series if that makes sense? Rather than a continuation of SG1 with the original team from 1-8.

Comment

I personally liked seasons 9 and 10. It wasn't as good as the past ones but it held my interest. And at least O'neill is in a few episodes. vala was a bit annoying but she grew on me. And I liked Cam. I do agree that Teal'c is sort of just there
                              Spoiler:
                              they never even show him officially rejoin sg-1
                              . But overall as others have said you have to make your own opinion.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X