Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logic: Stargate SG1: Was an ancient watching SG1 when they found Maybournes Prophesy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logic: Stargate SG1: Was an ancient watching SG1 when they found Maybournes Prophesy

The ancient scientist who modified the Gate Ship with a time travel devise have recorded prophesies of the planet where Harry Maybourne became King as retirement. Now in order to write those prophesy, the ancient had to see/witness it or at least observe it. Even without clear indication in the film, is it logical that the ancient who write the prophesy was on the planet that very moment when SG1 found it? He had to know somehow in order to document it.

On the side note, whether ascended or in physical form, Ancients can't go back in time just like that as then there would be no point in building the time travel ship so this means that the ancient either had to descend OR was performing his research prior to ascension. So the the ancient had to be in physical form at that point in time. Does this make sense ? Just a logical thing that I wanted to share and get off my chest just to see if anyones mind is boggled

It's also possible that he visited the planet some time later and got the information from archival records.
    sigpic
    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Not really. Although it's very plausible and and probable, if you take an example from our existence in that of Nostradamus, who predicted/interpreted the future rather accurately, with no ability to go back or forward in time, so it could have been a steady stream of predictions and likely outcomes, rather than having to be there to witness it.

I suppose in terms of the show though, it's probably more likely that he went into the future and went through the records, rather than witness everything.

Comment

I've always liked to think it was Janus after returning from Atlantis before they all ascended. Jumpers can cloak themselves, and so it is likely he also cloaked his jumper while watching significant events (what else would you do for entertainment?).

I also like to think that he only wrote them down and left the jumper behind to fulfill the self-fulfilling prophecy.

Comment

It's interesting though, would he have known that O'Neill or one of SG1 was capable of flying the ship? I mean we are on the assumption as such here that he witnessed such events with SG1 that weren't part of that planets future/past history, in order to know to leave the ship behind.

Comment

he was watching the whole thing in a cloaked jumper... i think that is pretty clear... i am guessing it was janus after coming back from atlantis as the time machine design looked like his...

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
              It's interesting though, would he have known that O'Neill or one of SG1 was capable of flying the ship? I mean we are on the assumption as such here that he witnessed such events with SG1 that weren't part of that planets future/past history, in order to know to leave the ship behind.
              Which interestingly brings up the question that when Janus left the ship for SG1, he then had to spend his remaining life on that planet (after all he was not ascended back then so he couldn't travel in subspace). This is of course assuming that Dr Weir met Janus before he conducted his observation to Maybournes planet (alternate timeline where Atlantis never rose from the ocean bed and Shepard along with Weir jumped back in time). Unless Janus somehow brought two ships with him. One for O'neil and one for himself to return back to Atlantis. Its safe to exclude that he did not get any help since he had to do his work in secrecy away from the Atlantis council.

PS: I think Janus should have traveled to year 2000 and watched "spiderman" so that ancients would learn that "with great power comes great responsibility", and instead of continuing their ascension sherade, rid the galaxy of Gua'Uld and Wreith both of which after all exploited the ancients own seeds of creations... but then we wouldn't be here

Comment

He could always walk through the stargate?

Comment

Originally posted by ExpeditionOrigin View Post

PS: I think Janus should have traveled to year 2000 and watched "spiderman" so that ancients would learn that "with great power comes great responsibility", and instead of continuing their ascension sherade, rid the galaxy of Gua'Uld and Wreith both of which after all exploited the ancients own seeds of creations... but then we wouldn't be here
                  you forget that it is not the ancients fault but the writers, who threw logic away and made ancients lose from noobs like wraith(yup super noobs when compared to ancients)...

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                    He could always walk through the stargate?
                    Yes if he had a zpm, remember they were two different galaxies thus requiring a zpm to power cross galaxy travel.

you forget that it is not the ancients fault but the writers, who threw logic away and made ancients lose from noobs like wraith(yup super noobs when compared to ancients)...
                    Which also just goes to shot that even ancients aren't perfect.

Comment

Yes if he had a zpm, remember they were two different galaxies thus requiring a zpm to power cross galaxy travel.

Which also just goes to shot that even ancients aren't perfect.
                      well that is what the writers tried to show but is mind boggling and unbelievable to see how they lost the war... wraith are noobs, they cannot handle even the tauri... how could ancients lose? anyways, the "rules" of the ascended was "Writers" doing... it is not exactly logical or anything and normally writers in tv series don't make huge logical blunders even in sci fi... but stargate saga is full of obnoxious canon...

Comment

They had returned to Earth at the end of their experience in the Pegasus galaxy. He wouldn't need a ZPM.

Comment

The Ancients' War with the Wraith ended in stalemate. They had superior tech, but the Wraith had superior numbers. Also, I think it was partly the Ancients' arrogance that led to the stalemate.
                          sigpic
                          "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                          Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

That is true. Ancients thought a bit too high of themselves.

Comment

It's usually the message portrayed a few times in Stargate. The Asgard said it was part of their downfall against the Replicators (over confidence in their technology). The Goa'uld are to over confident in their selves (ego's).

Doesn't seem to always hold together to well if you are vastly superior with technology lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X