X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Time of the Doctor (2013)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SPECIALS
    THE TIME OF THE DOCTOR
    Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe's deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars -- and amongst them, the Doctor. Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe. (BBC)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

Goodnight Matt Smith, you were great!

Comment

I'll post properly when I stop blubbing.

I loved it.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I caught the last 5minutes and had a question: he says "here it is, regeneration #13", now counting the War Doctor, that means he was regenerating for the 12th time right (into the 13th incarnation). So by regeneration he meant incarnation and not the process itself, does that mean that this Doctor is officially Doctor #13?
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I feel somewhat vindicated now, as I've been saying for years that Tenth wasted a regeneration when he put that energy into his hand. This is me, after so many years, saying I told you so.

I have to admit, I was looking forward to seeing the whole regeneration sequence from Eleven to Twelve, but I found it to be much more emotional knowing the regeneration had finished but has holding out just a bit longer so he could get in his goodbyes. It really was emotional seeing him there in the end, but nice to see Twelve starting off on the humorous side.

Given the state of Trenzalore during last years Christmas special, I am surprised the planet didn't end up looking more like that. Should be interesting to see how River Song comes into play since she knew about the yet to be created secret passages and TARDIS monument.

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
          I caught the last 5minutes and had a question: he says "here it is, regeneration #13", now counting the War Doctor, that means he was regenerating for the 12th time right (into the 13th incarnation). So by regeneration he meant incarnation and not the process itself, does that mean that this Doctor is officially Doctor #13?
          When you rewatch from the start, he does explain all his previous regenerations. So this is regeneration 13, the thirteenth person he has been but only The Twelfth Doctor because The War Doctor was a separate incarnation so outside the 1-12 naming pattern.
          Last edited by SaberBlade; 25 December 2013, 11:51 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Must... confer....

Must... discuss.......

Need.... conference.... with... the geekdom...

What the blasted hell?

I understood everything that happened, but I don't understand how I *feel*!

With Nine I had giddy bouncy joy at a perfect goodbye speech and some excellent first lines... with Ten I had annoyance at the emo nature of the swan song and joyful optimism for Eleven... For Eight I had ecstatic glee at finally seeing the final moments of *my* Doctor, who I had first seen following the regeneration of Seven so many years ago, when I was so much younger, and was enthralled by the endless possibilities...

But... this... I.... I don't know... I just don't know how to feel. I was delighted by the casting of Capaldi, but his brief scene has done nothing for me compared to Ten or Eleven's debut...

I just don't know... somebody PLEASE make sense of this for me? Preferably my establishing some kind of telepathic link up and sorting through my brain for me...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

'Do you know how to fly this thing?!'
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Loved the final line.

But, for the rest? Nope. Sorry. Standard Christmas bleurgh. Padded, meandering, and full of plot holes. Okay, some reasonable tie-ups to long-standing questions, but, really...

And no, I don't feel much emotion about it. Not, for example, compared to the entire Curator scene. Let's see what Peter can do...

Comment

Holy ****!! that was an emotional and action filled Christmas special. I knew it!!! The Time Lords giving the Doctor a brand new full regeneration cycle!!! Before you guys argue the time lords have given the master several new full regeneration cycles in the past.
                  Is the new Doctors new season going to be him trying to rescue his fellow time lords and homeworld??

Comment

... it just seemed... too cheap and easy. All that effort, and the Doctor could have just told the Time Lords to take a chill pill and not come through there and then... They seemed to naff off fairly easily...

I don't MIND the good Doctor being given a new regeneration cycle... but the WAY it was done just felt a little non-dramatic...

Also - anyone notice that the Doctor DID lie... TWICE?! There were some great moments (loved the use of the seal of the high council nicked from the Master), but I don't know...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                      But... this... I.... I don't know... I just don't know how to feel. I was delighted by the casting of Capaldi, but his brief scene has done nothing for me compared to Ten or Eleven's debut...

I just don't know... somebody PLEASE make sense of this for me? Preferably my establishing some kind of telepathic link up and sorting through my brain for me...
                      I think they did that on purpose. I don't think this had much to do with the introduction of Twelve, but the departure of Eleven. He couldn't have gotten that proper sending off if he fully regenerated on that tower. Granted this was the official introduction of Capaldi's Doctor, I think we're supposed to take his appearance in the 50th anniversary into account, going from confident eyes flying the TARDIS, to this his newly regenerated form who doesn't have a clue.

sigpic

Comment

Also - anyone notice that the Doctor DID lie... TWICE?! There were some great moments (loved the use of the seal of the high council nicked from the Master), but I don't know...
                        I know one lie was to the wooden Cyberman, but what was the second?

I wouldn't actually consider what he said to the Cyberman a lie. What he said was technically true, he did reroute the weapons direction, he just left out the fact it wouldn't work on a wooden cyberman.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                          I know one lie was to the wooden Cyberman, but what was the second?

I wouldn't actually consider what he said to the Cyberman a lie. What he said was technically true, he did reroute the weapons direction, he just left out the fact it wouldn't work on a wooden cyberman.
                          "I'll never send you away again."

and

"I have a plan...

...I don't really have a plan, people just like hearing that"

(or words to those effects...)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            "I'll never send you away again."

and

"I have a plan...

...I don't really have a plan, people just like hearing that"

(or words to those effects...)
                            Did he really send her away, or did he send the TARDIS away with her inside it? Or perhaps being inside the TARDIS made the truth field ineffective. As for having a plan, can't explain that one away.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              Did he really send her away, or did he send the TARDIS away with her inside it? Or perhaps being inside the TARDIS made the truth field ineffective. As for having a plan, can't explain that one away.
                              I'm downloading on iPlayer... I *need* to rewatch but...

(spoilered for crude comment)

Spoiler:

I feel like I just had sex and failed to climax...

That's how the ending has made me feel... it just doesn't feel RIGHT... like there's so much more to be said... like it's incomplete... maybe part of that is the lack of a 'Coming Soon in Series 8' that we usually get...

When Ten regenerated it looked like a brand new beginning... this doesn't *feel* like that... it feels... abrupt.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X