Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis is too far from earth??

hello first of all im new to the forum xD

so this year i decided to watch stargate (17 seasons + 3 movies)

at this time im on SG-1 Season 8x03 and Atlantis Season 1x03 im wathing side by side.

so my question is about atlantis, atlantis is to far from earth i mean is in pegassus right? ub terms of distance is that distance too long?

when i was watching the premiere of atlantis i thougth... why they dont just dial a planet that can be dialed from earth and then from there go to earth, is that possible?

They dialed the planet that Atlantis was on in the premiere.

The reason regular gate access isn't achieve was because of the power requirement needed to dial pegasus from Earth was beyond Earth technology.

The void between galaxies was too large for a single gate to bridge. Through they do implement a form of your plan in future episode.
    Last edited by knowles2; 10 November 2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

To provide some context for the distance issue; the Milky Way is at most about 120,000 light years across and there is a 3 million light year wide gap between the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxy. So trying to dial the Pegasus galaxy from a gate that is a few ten thousand light years closer doesn't make much of a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by CallMeGeRoS View Post
        when i was watching the premiere of atlantis i thougth... why they dont just dial a planet that can be dialed from earth and then from there go to earth, is that possible?
        Too far!

Fear not though, they do implement a space bridge using 30 something gates from planets that no longer need them to act as relays which pass the buffer from one gate to the next and so on. They even build a midway station with a pegasus and milkyway gate!

Comment

it was 3 million years from earth so and the control crystal capable of dialing another galaxy was only in atlantis so they could have only dialed from there. They could have used that control crystal in a closer spot to earth but a few thousand light years won't do much difference as the distance is too much between the galaxies and 0.01% or even less is not much of a distance change. It was basically a power issue.

Comment

Working...
          X