• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanctuary (109)

Visit the Episode GuideSLEEPY HOLLOW - SEASON ONE
    SANCTUARY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 109
    A missing persons case leads Abbie and Crane to a haunted house, where Crane recalls he and his wife Katrina once found sanctuary with members of her coven. But when a long-dormant evil resurfaces, Ichabod makes a shocking discovery about his family.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 27 February 2014, 09:08 PM.

I really like the creatures on this show. Baby Ent goes on a rampage and Crane finds it one weakness, the mighty Axe spray deodorant.

Comment

I love how they weave Crane and Abbie together through history. I keep getting unexpectedly creeped out by this show, and love it.
      Spoiler:
      The scene when Abbie tells Crane about his son just broke my heart. Not as excited about them bringing in the family drama of the captain...

Comment

Spoiler:
        I felt so badly for Crane when Abbie told him he had a son. I'm thinking that when he "died", Katrina didn't know yet that she was pregnant, which was why Crane had no idea about it. I really don't think she would have kept that information from him; after all, at some point he would have noticed that she was pregnant.

Love that an ancestor of Abbie's was there at the birth of Crane's child, making their connection even stronger. Though I'm thinking he should also have a fairly strong connection with Jenny, since it was her ancestor as well.

I'm wondering how many more connections there will be down through the years between them. And if, perhaps, there's some sort of ancestral connection with Captain Irving.

Interesting that using an axe was what defeated "tree beard". When Crane was tossing out those flares, I almost thought they were going to catch those roots on fire and the house would burn down, thus destroying "tree beard".

Quite a touching scene at the end with Crane more or less hiding in a corner, sitting on the floor, surrounded by papers. Interesting little circle with Abbie telling him he had a son, and Crane showing her the papers that showed her ancestor being at the birth of his son.

Comment

The baby angle was very predictable and I'm a bit disappointed in it. I don't mind cliches/tropes as long as they are well executed and this one was not: if they had a son then why didn't Katrina ever mention him during any of the times she was in contact with Ichabod after his 'resurrection'? All their scenes together in purgatory are boring and very similar to each other (she always manages to tell him she loves him but keeps the real danger she wanted him to warn for in the beginning to herself until the moment Moloch comes or she's ripped away, leaving only the warning and not the clue itself), but you'd think that she would jump at the chance to tell the man she loves that she was pregnant when he died and they have/had a healthy son the moment she sees him! But no, he has to find out this way: if it hadn't been for Abbie's ancestor he never would have known he had a child!

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that this week's guest star (the woman trapped in the house) may actually be a descendant of Ichabod rather than the founding father they said was her ancestor? That man was killed by the tree in the same night Ichabod's son was born and there were no clues of him having children (not during the flashback of Ichabod and Katrina visiting nor during the visions of what happened that night), yet he apparently has descendants... I wouldn't be surprised if Grace (Abbie's ancestor, right?) whisked Katrina and the baby away and then, having fled the manor, they said he was that rich man's son and either Grace or other relatives raised him since Moloch was after the baby/Katrina.

Oh and does anyone know the significance of the rich man introducing Grace to Katrina and Ichabod during their visit? Was it because she was his wife or was she merely under his wing, so to speak? After all, it would have been highly uncommon for rich white men to marry (former) slaves but it would have also been odd for him to introduce her if she was just an employee... Anyway, thought it was interesting to know, especially if the other woman is a descendant of Ichabod and Katrina because then she would be related to Abbie (officially, if Grace raised the boy, not biologically). Then again, Abbie's family tree looked to be separate from the rich man/descendant so maybe we were just supposed to assume the rich man had (grown?) children of his own before he got killed.

The rest of the episode that took place at the house was great. Enjoyed the struggle against the creepy tree and learning what really happened all those years ago. Wasn't too fond of the Irving/Jenny stuff, though. Still don't like Jenny or the actress, and her eyebrows were really creeping me out. The conversation with the teenage daughter was so predictable and soap opera-ish, which was disappointing as I'd been hoping to have an interesting background for Irving, rather than just another angle to get him and Jenny to hook up.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I don't mind the actress but I have to admit those eyebrows are creepy. The first thing I think about when I see her are the those eyebrows. Which in turns makes me think of FLCL.

Comment

Interesting episode. I like the fact they are starting to flesh out Captain Irving more.

Is it me or did the wife hint at the fact Irving moved to Sleppy Hollow because he felt responsible for what put their daughter in the wheelchair?

I also felt sorry for Crane when he found out about his son. Makes me wonder if they'll being running into one of his desendants soon.

For some reason having an ancestor of Abbie's at the birth seemed fitting to me. Since their present and future are intertwined, why shouldn't their past?
              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                Interesting episode. I like the fact they are starting to flesh out Captain Irving more.

Is it me or did the wife hint at the fact Irving moved to Sleppy Hollow because he felt responsible for what put their daughter in the wheelchair?

I also felt sorry for Crane when he found out about his son. Makes me wonder if they'll being running into one of his desendants soon.

For some reason having an ancestor of Abbie's at the birth seemed fitting to me. Since their present and future are intertwined, why shouldn't their past?
                My impression was that Irving moved to Sleepy Hollow thinking he would have a less dangerous, more quiet job since it's a small town, and so that he'd have more time to spend with his daughter. And things obviously didn't out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  if they had a son then why didn't Katrina ever mention him during any of the times she was in contact with Ichabod after his 'resurrection'?
                  Since a demon was after the baby, I'm going to guess because its life would be in danger if the apocalypse-starting people knew who it was and where to find it - or its descendants. In fact personally I wonder if Crane finding out about it was engineered by them, so that he'll do the legwork of finding the baby's descendants for them. And then they'll have something to hold over his head.
                  sigpic

Comment

WOOOOO-HOOOOO ! ! ! An episode I didn't hate ! ! ! , but let's start with what I hated. LOL

- Jenny and Captain Irving's Daughter scene. TERRIBLE ! ! ! !
                    - Captain Irving and his wife scene. Terrible and too much soap opera. Of course now that he's wrapped up in a crusade to save the world it will add some drama if his ex-wife shows up and gives him an ultimatum that means if he continues to try to save the world he'll lose access to his daughter. What-Ever!

- I loved the Captain Irving and Jenny scene. That was probably the best scene in the show, although it might have been a little too flirty so soon after they just met in the last episode.

- I liked most of the stuff in the house, except these visions are getting kind of ridiculous. Every time they want to explain something Abbie or Ichabod have a vision?! Come on.

Like fems, I too was questioning why we saw no evidence of Lachlan Federicks' children. I didn't really question the ancestor, but now fems has made me think. Since it has been brought up I too am wondering if Ichabod's son was raised a Federicks. The only question is who would they say is his mother. Federicks was well known, so people would know if he was married and she would have to have been willing to go along with the ruse and raise another woman's child. It is tough to say because they never really mentioned or showed Lachlan having a wife. I mean, they pretty much gave the impression he was possibly involved with Grace, but that couldn't be true because of Grace's detailed family tree. It is confusing and I have a feeling that fems theory might become reality, but there are some big missing pieces to fill in to get there.

Comment

As several people have said, I also think that baby Crane may have been raised as a Frederick. This also ties in with min min's interesting theory that the whole thing was orchestrated to get Ichabod to ferret out his descendents. It would explain a few things, such as
                      - why Lena was kidnapped; it was in order to get Ichabod into the house
                      - why the creature didn't kill Lena; if she's Ichabod's descendent she may still have a role to play
                      - why Abbie had the vision about Katrina giving birth; they need Ichabod to know

Regarding fems' question why Lachlan introduced Grace to the Cranes, I don't think it had any special meaning, to me it just seemed a plot device to introduce her so the audience would know who we are dealing with when her ghost appeared to Abbie later.

This would have been a fitting Halloween episode, it was really spooky I didn't much care for the scenes with Irving's family either. His domestic problems are of little value to me - unless whatever happened to his daughter also fits into the big scheme of things.

sigpic
                      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        My impression was that Irving moved to Sleepy Hollow thinking he would have a less dangerous, more quiet job since it's a small town, and so that he'd have more time to spend with his daughter. And things obviously didn't out that way.
                        Very true.
                        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I am just getting caught up...

I also did not like the whole Irving is a bad father thing. It was forced and I didn't like his wife at all. I did, however, like the interaction with him and Jenny.

I also loved the way they once again are weaving Abby and Ichabod's stories together.

As for the visions. It doesn't bother me. We're only a few shows in and they have to get the background established somehow and fill in the people living in the present in the process. Ichabod can't tell all the stories. I don't think it's hard to believe that they would be having these kinds of visions considering all the crazy supernatural (dare I say "hellmouthy") things going on. They both are now very open and much more sensitive to the crazy weird things that go on.

I didn't really care for the tree creature, but liked the whole "this house is alive" thing. I felt Abby's pain with the whole hating haunted houses issue. I probably would have had a heart attack.

I don't think Katrina is purposely keeping the information about their son to herself. The brief time they've had together has been focused on getting the issues with the horseman sorted out. And I agree with min min that she probably didn't want attention drawn to the fact.
                          sigpic

----------
                          FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Working...
                          X