Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel planning more tv shows

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...reen-expansion

Sounds really good to me, I would love more superhero based tv shows. If I were picking the shows I´d go with the following:

Punisher
    Daredevil
    Heroes for Hire
    Dr. Strange

The first three offer a lot of crossover potential while the fourth would make for a great supernatural style show.

Sounds like it could be pretty cool. Sci-fi super heros are really mainstream and marketable like never before so I could definitely see this happening.
    sigpic

Comment

Guess it shows how old I am, since I don't recognize any of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
        http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...reen-expansion

Sounds really good to me, I would love more superhero based tv shows. If I were picking the shows I´d go with the following:

Punisher
        Daredevil
        Heroes for Hire
        Dr. Strange

The first three offer a lot of crossover potential while the fourth would make for a great supernatural style show.
        Interesting news.

Likely the most significant factor in determining which show(s) make it for serious discussion will be potential costs. Of the titles suggested, I suspect that Punisher would require the least amount of CGI and special effects. Dr. Strange and Heroes for Hire (depending on who is in the group) could cost a whack of cash. Daredevil could be somewhere in between.

(small spoilers related to episodes 1 and 3)
        Spoiler:

With the idea of keeping costs down, I think it's not too surprising that we haven't seen a lot of super heroes running around in S.H.I.E.L.D. To date we've seen a limited amount of a potential "Luke Cage" and the potential for "Gravitron".

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

I actually think that Dr. Strange could work really well on tv. Obviously the magical effects would have to be less impressive than in a movie but they should be possible. They might have to tone down some of the extra dimensional stuff, at least compared to how it's shown in the comics

Edit: I personally think that these new shows might be better served by creating a brand new Marvel TV-verse. That way they can start fresh and write the stories they want to write without having to worry about stepping on the toes of the movies.

Comment

I actually think that Dr. Strange could work really well on tv. Obviously the magical effects would have to be less impressive than in a movie but they should be possible. They might have to tone down some of the extra dimensional stuff, at least compared to how it's shown in the comics
            I do admit that I was always amazed by the Steve Ditko artwork in those comics, so there's a lot for them to live up to.

Hopefully the effects would be better those seen in "The Raven", with Vincent Price and Boris Karloff.

Edit: I personally think that these new shows might be better served by creating a brand new Marvel TV-verse. That way they can start fresh and write the stories they want to write without having to worry about stepping on the toes of the movies.
            They could go to a story of the month kind of show. One month they deal with a S.H.I.E.L.D. theme, the next could involve something to do with the Avengers, or one of the shows based on characters you have suggested. Obviously they won't use the movie cast (except perhaps in cameos?).

They could use some of the lesser lights of the Marvel universe and see how they are accepted by the viewing audience. The Avengers have a huge roster of members which could be used.

Maybe they could even try Howard the Duck?

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Daredevil could be an interesting combination of legal drama in the courtroom and action. But would require some seriously good writing. But it has good potential of perhaps accessing a wider audience than the rest of them.

I don't think Punisher would work on Network TV, not without it being heavily toned down. It could be a good show for a cable network through.

Hero for hire would give a Marvel a chance to monetise some of its smaller lesser known characters.
              Last edited by knowles2; 19 October 2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I´m kind of hoping that this ends up going to Netflix or Amazon rather than a network. That way they could have a seriously dark, violent Punisher show set in the same universe as a more typical case of the week show like Heroes for Hire.

Comment

Marvel and Netflix have signed a deal to produce four 13 episode series and one mini series

http://www.blastr.com/2013-11-7/wow-...ge-series-more

The shows are:

Daredevil
                  Jessica Jones
                  Luke Cage
                  Iron Fist

And the mini series is "The Defenders"

I guess I just might have to subscribe to Netflix if these shows turn out all right

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    Guess it shows how old I am, since I don't recognize any of these.
                    Hedwig, those Marvel characters/series have been around since the 60s and 70s. How old are you?
                    sigpic
                    sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

Working...
                    X