• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born In the U.S.A. (201)

Visit the Episode GuideREVOLUTION - SEASON TWO
    BORN IN THE U.S.A.
    EPISODE NUMBER - 201
    In the aftermath of a new catastrophe, Rachel encounters someone from her past while Tom and Jason go in search of a lost loved one. Charlie embarks on her own mission to the Plains Nation.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

Great episode!

Spoiler:
    My theory is that the bugs are an evolution of the nanites. The nanites got to such large numbers that they started to group together to make the bugs. Perhaps they have gained some semblance of sentience and knew that Aaron helped them and so they saved his life.

Comment

Decent Premier
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

Yes I agree, good premier and I for one am glad
        Spoiler:
        They let the bombs drop and didn't have Rachel or someone stop it at the last minute(Yes I know I'm bloodthirsty) It's just that someone stopping it in the nick of time would have been so predictable and this makes for a much interesting season. I'm also glad the power not getting turned back on is off the table for the time being-a no-power post- apocalyptic world is what made the series interesting to me in the first place. And Aaron's "death" brought back to life by nanites? Loved the scenes with Neville.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          Great episode!

Spoiler:
          My theory is that the bugs are an evolution of the nanites. The nanites got to such large numbers that they started to group together to make the bugs. Perhaps they have gained some semblance of sentience and knew that Aaron helped them and so they saved his life.
          Good theory-you might be right

Comment

I actually disliked it.
            Why did Neville go into a deep morbid status?
            Who is that gal with aaron and how did they hook up?
            Why did rachael have a mental breakdown?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              I actually disliked it.
              Spoiler:

Because he believes his wife was still in Georgia when the bombs dropped

I actually disliked it.
              I guess we will find out, as the season progresses

I actually disliked it.
              Spoiler:
              Why wouldnt Rachel have a mental breakdown? she was partly responsible for the bombs dropping, and also she witnessed that C.I.A guy kill himself infront of her ptsd much? if anything Aaron should have ptsd more than rachel but whatever
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

I was about done with it until the last 5 seconds, now it's peaked my interest again.
                I wasn't keen on the way they resolved the cliffhanger, but then thinking about it, flashbacks are an integral part of the story so it seems logical they'd deal with it that way.

I wondered something similar too escyos, good idea.

Comment

Born In the U.S.A.
                  Spoiler:

When I heard this show was coming back, I dreaded the bad news; the same old stuff with the same old story. However, what peaked my interest was the producers saying that they've learned from past mistakes; that they were going to make a better, more thought provoking show. I thought; "Finally! No more excessive sword fights, Star Wars rip offs and subpar sci-fi stuff."

Unfortunately it seems like they haven't heard about GateWorld.

For one, the creators behind the show seem to proclaim about the "consequences" going on, about the characters who have to face and pay for them. While that seems like an interesting subject, it's only interesting when the entire consequence is actually felt; we have the whole launching nuclear missiles from the previous episode and that should provide tons of consequences for our characters, it's impact is definitely felt in the world and we definitely get to feel the tons of displaced people who are either grouped up in camps or scattered all around the world. To have a dynamic world is definitely a plus for Revolution who's lack of dynamic resulted in a pathetic first season but of course this resolves around our characters and I don't think the characters even felt the consequences.

Sure, we have harder edged characters. Charlie is no longer the suck up now that she's hardened up and on her own, Miles is on the verge of reverting to his old ways and we have characters facing regret like Rachel who's actions consisted of the entire thing in the first place and Aaron who feels regret that he can't turn the power back on (supposedly) but harder edged characters do not equal a better story; Miles and Charlie are surprisingly better than they were before, carrying an heir of mystery to them that they never had, both seem like they're now taking their acting jobs seriously and are actually trying hard to emote and seem human rather than robotic line sprouting action heroes but none of them can actually provide the dynamics needed to create truly good characters. It's like the writers are purposely putting them in murky territory in order to trick the audience into thinking they've experienced growth; here's a hint, edgy flashbacks and scenes aren't enough in order to create a character for me.

Poor old Nevil.

Aaron and Rachel fare better and both seem to have ditched their old personas in exchange for brand new & improved ones but I think Rachel is the better of the two here. Reasons, she emotes better, she knows how to wobble her voice, she looks like she's actually feeling guilt. Aaron just seems to be moping around and despite the fact that he has a wife, can never be truly happy. Sure, we can apply the fact that he also caused the nuclear blast but that isn't enough to elevate his character. Now Rachel, she's actually connecting to the victims and the sheer fact that she's trying to make up for said incident definitely makes her the best character in my book. That and the fact that she has a bond with Miles that is just delectable to watch. It has a somber feeling to it, one that reflects Miles troubled past and Rachel's desire to be helpful and it was one of the more salvageable moments of the episode for me.

Nevil and Monroe also get deconstructions and are made into lowlikes who are desperate for money, desperate for a purpose and lost from their original positions. These deconstructions have their benefits in that it makes Monroe into a more likable character, one who isn't into Star Wars and Darth Vader and more into just living life and trying to make it through and Nevil, it just makes him more dynamic than ever elevating him to the best character in Revolution; seeing him mope around and try to commit suicide is the best thing that Revolution has ever done and seeing his son in a domineering command trying to make him into a man just adds a lot into his character. However there's a flaw in that we don't see much of them; the writers assume that the short time placed into their scenes will make us want more and to an extent that's somewhat true but this show is about all of the characters, not just the ones they have the most lines for and a few more scenes could of helped the balance.

Fight in process.

As tradition for a season premiere, there are a few things that try to captivate the audience. Things such as the nanite bugs and the new enemies throughout. While we have seen what the nanites can do, the fact that they're sentient does not scream sci-fi as much as it does scream a sense that they're not supposed to be a plot device designed to shut down the power; it's not natural as much as it is just an attempt to inject magic and wonder into a show that desperately needs it. The new enemies range from the US government itself to a bunch of Mad Max people who's sore purpose is to kidnap people; we don't get to see much of the US government but from the speech they gave they certainly make themselves out to be interesting adversaries and they're much better than the Mad Max people who's only purpose seems to be giving them an obstacle; they may seem strong but the only reason why is because the fighting is more realistic and less fantastical than before, which means that not only are the odds are even, but people can actually die which is a plus for me; however, it also means that it's there only to make these people seem stronger than they actually are. Shame.

So Revolution's Second Season Premiere turns out to not be the revelation we were expecting. This is not a fully realized show as much as it's a band-aid for the many flaws that still exist. Gimmicks are still used, the plot is not there but the acting is so much better and the fact that there are consequences makes the show interesting. Plus the sheer fact that everything is more realistic and compelling makes the entire package nicer but it's not the improvement the producers were making it out to be. However... It is an improvement so I will give it bonus points, still; there are other shows that are more worth your time, shows like "Once Upon a Time" for example.
                  5.5/10
                  Back from the grave.

Comment

You wife being killed by a nuclear explosion does that to people.

Probably be explain in flash backs. Plus they need a selection of people to kill off this season.
                    Because that what the actor good at acting, and really these actors don't have much acting ability or acting range to work with, so it best the writers write stories the actors can act. Plus they have to give her something to do. She a bit useless now that the power apparently can't be turn back on, at least until Aaron comes up with a plan to turn it back on. Personnel, I would rather she just killed herself off screen.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      Plus they need a selection of people to kill off this season.
                      ROFLMAO you cynic

Comment

Its a good start to the next Season I would say, but so far what is going to happen seems a bit predictable at least what the Power outage goes. At least I was right about them turning the Power off again and suddenly being unable to turn it back on a second time. What a surprise.

The Acting definatly has become a bit better, but we will see what kind of Storyline they have in store for us. I wonder if they are going to leave communicating with the Bugs for the Third Season or if they are just going to jump at it again like getting the Power back on and solving that mystery in just one season.
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                          Its a good start to the next Season I would say, but so far what is going to happen seems a bit predictable at least what the Power outage goes. At least I was right about them turning the Power off again and suddenly being unable to turn it back on a second time. What a surprise.
                          They didn't turn it off again, at least for the missiles. They turned it off again because they didn't know if Randall had anyone else working for him that would be using nukes or other weapons and didn't want to risk it. So its not that they couldn't turn it back on, they didn't want to.

The Acting definatly has become a bit better, but we will see what kind of Storyline they have in store for us. I wonder if they are going to leave communicating with the Bugs for the Third Season or if they are just going to jump at it again like getting the Power back on and solving that mystery in just one season.
                          Its the second season, not the third.

Comment

They didn't turn it off again, at least for the missiles. They turned it off again because they didn't know if Randall had anyone else working for him that would be using nukes or other weapons and didn't want to risk it. So its not that they couldn't turn it back on, they didn't want to.
                            How do you know? It's not like there were secret installations like "The Tower" that the USA had in their hands. I mean sure, there could of been some with nuclear weapons but not enough to worth turning off the power. And it's clear in this episode that they can't turn it on, I'm guessing the nanites must of been able to override any safeguards that the tower had and turn it off like everything else in this world.
                            Back from the grave.

Comment

Thats not right. They turned it off again in the hopes that the Nanites would take the Energy from the Bombs and disable them, but reactivating the Nanites took to long. Since they seem to have evolved, they reacted like the Replicators in Stargate and ignored any further deactivation.

Its the second season, not the third.
                              Sorry, for the mistake. I got it wrong since I watched it in 2 parts.
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Working...
                              X