Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who Fanmade Game : help/feedback needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who Fanmade Game : help/feedback needed!

Hi guys, so I wanted to tell you about a game Ive been in the process of making, as well as ask for some community feedback on how it should be made and some of the features. Ill start by saying Im an indie game developer with a massive interest in doctor who, being british I was brought up watching it, and all that time I've been especially interested in the daleks. Because who doesnt love daleks (apart from other daleks, since they are incapable of love). So, heres the idea.

Its not official to the lore of doctor who, I tried to stick as close to it as possible though while still retaining some good gameplay. Anyway, its set in a much older episode of doctor who, during the dalek civil war, when a group of daleks discovered their creator, Davros, was not 100% dalek, and so went against him. The daleks split into 2 groups, the renegade daleks, who were against davros, and the Imperial daleks, who were to serve him. You are an imperial dalek, serving on the front lines of defense against the main force of Renegades, on Earth. At this time the renegades are winning, and if it continues within just months Davros will be dead and will be replaced by a pure dalek (as I said, not exactly how it went, but its important for the story). Seeing this, Davros becomes scared, he has centered his main force on earth as well but its still not working, the renegades just keep pushing forward. So, he sets off a doomsday device he designed, aimed for earth, and set off in an escape pod with just the necessities (escape pods only hold so much power, and the life support drains a lot, so he cant bring much), and escapes. Earth is destroyed, along with countless daleks.
    For 6 months the earth is quiet. Cities are under rubble, but gradually nature takes over, vines run across the walls of skyscrapers, ferns crack through the roads, wild animals such as lions take over as the new dominant species. But after 6 months, you have awoken, a dalek in post apocalyptic earth. At that moment, you hear the sound of another dalek going down the road nearby you, but something feels different. You have a kind of freedom you lacked before, nothing is stopping you from shooting that dalek, even though it is one of your own. He see's you, locks on his gun, and begins firing. (This is explained by davros only escaping with the necessities, all his communication and kind of hive mind systems were destroyed, so daleks now have free will). It misses, it's gun looks eroded, and you fire back, killing him instantly.

So the game is a sandbox survival game, where you have to survival on post apocalyptic earth, as a dalek. Now think how hard that is. Humans can run, jump, crouch, slide, grab, daleks cannot. Daleks can go at a slow speed and a slightly faster speed, daleks cannot crouch or slide, and hover is energy intensive, especially when fully flying. Also, without your dalek link, you have to harvest energy yourself, by killing living creatures and using your plunger to get their nutrients to keep alive. And barricading. Well, humans can grab and easily stack and move, a dalek can only use their plunger to a very rudimentary extent, stacking very carefully. there are many disabilities to being a dalek, and even your special abilities like speed, fly, laser and shield are very energy intensive.
    But your not alone, other daleks, some friendly some not, also roam the lands, as well as wild animals. Imagine a lion vs a dalek, as the lion pounces onto the dalek the lion is a quick threat!
    So, in a nutshell, this game is DayZ (for the post apocalyptic survival) + EVE online (its an MMO, so you can team up, make alliances, harvest resources and take down others for their resources) + Doctor who (for daleks) + a little bit of I am Legend.
    The world itself will be massive, with many different biomes and types (e.g. war zones with trenches, cities, deserts, rainforests, ect...), and of course its a sandbox game, so this is about your story, surviving as a dalek.

So, here are just a few questions I wanted to ask you-

1). What do you think? Would you be interested in this? If theres anything bad about it, please say

2). How would you like upgrades and resources to work? So if you could find upgrades in the world, what would you like them to be?

3). Probably the most important question, 2d or 3d. 2D would be a sidescroller, and 3d would be first person. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of each
    2d pros-
    Much quicker for me to make
    More unique style
    Much more availability of updates (since Im a 2d artist not a 3d artist, I would have to buy the 3d models, so it would be determined on that whether I can add new things as an update, where as with 2d I can make anything myself with less reliability on other people)
    2d cons-
    Not as realistic or serious
    You lose the cool, first person dalek HUD (like you see through the daleks eyes in the show)
    Less immersive

3d pros-
    More realistic and serious
    The world can be bigger as theres more dimensions you can move in
    A truly immersive dalek experience
    3d cons-
    Much slower to make (which would probably result in a more expensive end product)
    Less freedom to update the game as I wish (as I said about having to buy models)
    More intensive on your computer

Heres some mockups I did for each 2d and 3d (on 2d, the plunger would be a bit higher as it looks a bit odd there)
    http://imgur.com/DWZUEqk,45z64FJ

http://imgur.com/DWZUEqk,45z64FJ#1

So yeh, anymore feedback you have I'd be happy to hear, if this all comes through good Ill be pitching the idea to the BBC and doctor who for licensing, and hopefully I can make it.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

1) I think it's a rather interesting idea, though you shouldn't restrain yourself with old Who. I mean, we're talking about timey wimey here. It may take place in old Who, but it could have new Who elements as well. Yes, I would be interested in this. There are not nearly enough Doctor Who games out there, and this sounds fun. The only possible bug is that it's Daleks. They're great, but not the ideal protagonist for a first-person game. Now, if we're dealing with a 2D game, then it's brilliant, but it has to be real long.

2) Daleks require power. Since there are no time-travelers around to boost them up when they're damaged, they will likely resort to the radiation left behind by the doomsday attack for their power and any source of electricity for health. They can pick up objects with their suction hand and attack any hostile with their weapon.

There are also likely some alien technologies on Earth for the Dalek to locate and use to gain access to new abilities(don't know about those yet). Also, the Dalek can construct new things out of stuff it already has.

3) Definitely 2D. Not only is it faster and easier to make, you also have space for a lot more features. Besides, is a Dalek FPS really practical?
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

As a point of fact. You say that a 3D game would be a more expensive end product which is probably true, but only to you. You would not be able to sell this game.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
        1) I think it's a rather interesting idea, though you shouldn't restrain yourself with old Who. I mean, we're talking about timey wimey here. It may take place in old Who, but it could have new Who elements as well. Yes, I would be interested in this. There are not nearly enough Doctor Who games out there, and this sounds fun. The only possible bug is that it's Daleks. They're great, but not the ideal protagonist for a first-person game. Now, if we're dealing with a 2D game, then it's brilliant, but it has to be real long.

2) Daleks require power. Since there are no time-travelers around to boost them up when they're damaged, they will likely resort to the radiation left behind by the doomsday attack for their power and any source of electricity for health. They can pick up objects with their suction hand and attack any hostile with their weapon.

There are also likely some alien technologies on Earth for the Dalek to locate and use to gain access to new abilities(don't know about those yet). Also, the Dalek can construct new things out of stuff it already has.

3) Definitely 2D. Not only is it faster and easier to make, you also have space for a lot more features. Besides, is a Dalek FPS really practical?
        1). Well its not really a long game, nor is the dalek necessarily a protagonist. This is a sandbox game, meaning your dropped in the world, given no help, no story telling you where to go, everything is up to you, meaning the rich stories that come from the game are made entirely by you. Like EVE online.
        Also, I do need to find a way to include the doctor in it, but the issue is daleks cant kill him so he is kind of over powered.

2). Yep, good point I didnt think of that, so they pickup health, food, I might also add something where they can scavenge dead daleks for ammo and craftable upgrades and such.

3). Okay, so far I have 2 votes for 2d and 1 for 3d. Ill wait for some more opinions, but I think I will probably go for that.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        As a point of fact. You say that a 3D game would be a more expensive end product which is probably true, but only to you. You would not be able to sell this game.
        Well, my grandad knows the guys at the BBC licensing and has worked with them on some very successful doctor who products (e.g. he invented the first talking dalek toy, back in the day when they didnt have a speaker to do it for you and had to use cogs and what not), so Im gonna pitch the idea to them and if get it licensed so I can sell it. I know this seems like not the nicest thing to do for the community, but my reasoning is that firstly, this wont be my only game, and I need money to make more. Secondly, Ill be putting a lot of work into this.

Comment

Hey guys, just wanted to bump this thread, but while Im at it, I came up with a few more ideas. As always, be completely honest whether you like these ideas or not.

So what about if you could customise your dalek in kind of a character creator using crafting and items you pick up. So your plunger is mandatory for eating, but what if you could drop your laser for a shotgun, or a make shift spear? And maybe change your eyepiece for a dead daleks when it starts to take damage. That kind of thing.

The second question is how would you guys feel if there were some kind of other survivors, like mutated zombies who survived the doomsday device. Now this is stretching the official lore, but its just an idea, so tell me what you think, thanks.

Comment

My first reaction is, the BBC isn't going to licence their top commodity to a solo indie software developer unless s/he has a very strong track record - no matter who their father may be...

But ignoring that...

Not too long ago (2008?) the BBC had some games on their WHO website... including an over-head scrolling Dalek vs Doctor game. It certainly wasn't complex, without the depth your proposal offers... so that's probably 2 bonuses for you - it's been done, but yours offers more, and 2D obviously isn't considered a limitation. (That said, I'd rather 3D for such a game personally.)

As to your scenario... I see no reason that it has to be set on Earth from what you've said... Just set it on Skaro. That gives you various city backdrops, forests, deserts, etc etc etc... There were Thals still living on Skaro at various points in Dalek history... potentially even a few Kaleds... Mutos...
            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
              My first reaction is, the BBC isn't going to licence their top commodity to a solo indie software developer unless s/he has a very strong track record - no matter who their father may be...

But ignoring that...

Not too long ago (2008?) the BBC had some games on their WHO website... including an over-head scrolling Dalek vs Doctor game. It certainly wasn't complex, without the depth your proposal offers... so that's probably 2 bonuses for you - it's been done, but yours offers more, and 2D obviously isn't considered a limitation. (That said, I'd rather 3D for such a game personally.)

As to your scenario... I see no reason that it has to be set on Earth from what you've said... Just set it on Skaro. That gives you various city backdrops, forests, deserts, etc etc etc... There were Thals still living on Skaro at various points in Dalek history... potentially even a few Kaleds... Mutos...
              Okay so firstly, leave the licensing to me, this thread isnt really about getting into technicals its more about building the game. Sorry if that sounds really obnoxious, Im just saying that its best that we dont get into that as it doesnt help me build a better game, and at the end of the day, I'm taking a risk here with licenses and Im willing to do that for this game.
              Now, moving on...

Yes, I have seen a few doctor who games, luckily none at all have followed my genre, most where in a kind of story bases adventure genre. The 2d and 3d argument is tough for me, but honestly, I think 2d is a better option, as it limits me far less. I understand what you mean about wanting 3d, it is a very tough decision, but if it doesnt turn out right I'll just go back and make it in 3d.

As for the scenario, yes that sounds really interesting. I'll have to research Skaro before I decide on that a bit more, but if theres cities, different biome types, and of course the potential threat of survivors, mutos could serve as great zombie like creatures. So that is a pretty fantastic idea! I'll look into that.

Comment

Working...
              X