Loki/Tom Hiddleston Thunk/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
    Fascinating way of reading Loki! Almost as a foil to Odin, an unconstrained force of Odin's darker side that's given life of its own. I'll definitely need to give this a bit more of a think. Complex indeed!
    Not quite a foil, but very darn close to. Odin can't do "XYZ", but Loki can. A lot of what Loki does in the "grand scheme" of things either ends up helping the Asgardians, or while tragic, are needed.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Glitch33 View Post
      Yea that would be nice to see Loki with a softer side. Too bad he won't be in the new Avengers coming out. Tom said he wanted to work on Shakespeare or something like that. And go right ahead Glad you like them.

Thanks. Exactly because he had that complexity that makes him an interesting baddie. And typically British actors build a whole background to a character ( well, not the only brits) and the just the Marvel stuff wouldn't be enough. Having said that, on my
      vacation I stumble upon an Avengers cartoon and found myself rooting for ....Loki. It's not fair: he's one and they're many.

It's Marvel's official poster, so you can take whatever you want! I'd like to think of Loki as anti-hero actually - he does things to save the day (or at least tries to and fails), not out of the goodness of his heart, but out of a twisted belief that he'd get the recognition and the respect that he thinks he deserves when he succeeds. Now that's complex for me.
      Thanks That's a way of looking at him. Personally, I think as he can not be Thor ( aka the alpha male), he resorts to be the trouble maker, without realising that not being the primal warrior is not necessarily a bad thing or a weakness. Where would the world be with everyone being an alpha type...

Yeah. I just thought they let it get out of hand though, until he looked like prime candidate for a shampoo commercial in the second movie's trailer!
      Indeed, but I tend to prefer the disheveled look
      Spoiler:
      See guy of gisborne season 3

I love those Gifs too, but then I realise we can't really post them here in their full glory because they probably exceed 100 kb.

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
      yep.... and i know what you mean... but comic cannon, loki has long hair.... arguably MCU is its own universe and they can change that... i mean MCU hawkeye isn't deaf, tho that may change considering that's a big character trait in the comics.....
      They changed the colours of Hawkeye and wolverine clothes ...for the better, IMO.
      Yeah, I read the marvel wiki as well just to get the back stories for Thor actually, but I've never really got into the comics. Just can't seem to like them somehow. I'd read books, newspaper articles and all, but...just not comics, for some reason.

I like the Avengers and X-Men less (not as much as Thor) so it's probably something I wouldn't focus on, unless I'm say, writing fanfic that requires research on them. But the tidbit about Hawkeye was certainly interesting!
      The X-Men (1 and 2) were quite good, actually. I like the freak/ outsiders descrimination theme. Too many parallels in real life.
      Three not so much is that is why, Lilith, I fear the changes in director and writer for Thor. ( Branagh and J. Michael Straczynski were a unique and winning combination...)

I read a couple of marvel comics in my 8-12 years ( borrow them from my cousin) but that's the full extent of my knowledge. It's very limited and from wiki quick reading the characters went through so many things and ordeals it makes your head spin.

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Something that you folks may find of interest from a mythological POV about Loki.

One interpretation of Loki is that he is a representation of Odin's "shadow self" Where Odin represents......... "law and order" to an extent, Loki is more "primal change". Also, it can be argued that Loki does all the things that Odin views as "nessesary" but is incapable of doing "socially" due to his position.
      If you look into Norse mythology you can see just how a complex character Loki really is, and I'm glad TH has taken the time to see him more than just the "cardboard cutout" villain that a lot of Comic book villains can fall into.
      I have a book that adresses briefly Norse Myhology and Loki is not portrayed as necessarily "Evil".

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Not quite a foil, but very darn close to. Odin can't do "XYZ", but Loki can. A lot of what Loki does in the "grand scheme" of things either ends up helping the Asgardians, or while tragic, are needed.
      A driving force. Interesting point.
      Last edited by JadedWraith; 28 August 2013, 06:58 AM.
      sigpic
      Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
      Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

I think it's why I like a version of Loki that has both the strangeness and the complexity of Norse mythology with the snazzy and cinematic fills by Marvel. Kudos to TH for recognising this and acting it that way.

I primarily watched X-Men all those years ago for both Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen (both are theatre giants) and they never disappointed. Then Hugh Jackman came as a surprise, the same way TH surprised me in Thor.
        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I think it's why I like a version of Loki that has both the strangeness and the complexity of Norse mythology with the snazzy and cinematic fills by Marvel. Kudos to TH for recognising this and acting it that way.

I primarily watched X-Men all those years ago for both Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen (both are theatre giants) and they never disappointed. Then Hugh Jackman came as a surprise, the same way TH surprised me in Thor.
          Completely agree on all actors. I'm happy they're using people who actually act ( this is an understatement) in blockbusters and what difference does that make.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
            Completely agree on all actors. I'm happy they're using people who actually act ( this is an understatement) in blockbusters and what difference does that make.
            Yeah, I always thought (just a personal opinion) that theatre-trained actors, or at least those whose roots lay in theatre and did theatre before Hollywood actually bring something extra to film. Particularly the Brit-trained ones.
            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

i still watch all the comic book movies, even when i know they're gonna be crap b/c i'm just a huge nerd [( tho, i've quite decided to skip the superman reboot franchise.... never really liked Supes.... )] haven't seen the new Wolverine movie yet, but X-Men Origins was absolute crap.... and they messed up Remy something fierce.....

original concept art for Hawkeye had him in purple with a mask.... they changed it last minute to scrap the mask and mute the purple to mauve... i don't really mind Loki with long hair, but from what i've seen of Thor 2, it's all thick and wavy and looks a lot like my own mane 'cept shorter....
              I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I always thought (just a personal opinion) that theatre-trained actors, or at least those whose roots lay in theatre and did theatre before Hollywood actually bring something extra to film. Particularly the Brit-trained ones.
                Completely agree. I like the way they research, build a complete backstory and to sum it up: take any role seriously. The same can not be said of certain Hollywood divas...Not all, thank God.

i still watch all the comic book movies, even when i know they're gonna be crap b/c i'm just a huge nerd [( tho, i've quite decided to skip the superman reboot franchise.... never really liked Supes.... )] haven't seen the new Wolverine movie yet, but X-Men Origins was absolute crap.... and they messed up Remy something fierce.....

Yeah, I skipped those too...and I like Wolverine/Hugh Jackman. But something seemed off.

original concept art for Hawkeye had him in purple with a mask.... they changed it last minute to scrap the mask and mute the purple to mauve... i don't really mind Loki with long hair, but from what i've seen of Thor 2, it's all thick and wavy and looks a lot like my own mane 'cept shorter....
                eheheh...maybe his look has a certain air of Edmund Dantés
                sigpic

Comment

Dropping this off.

Spoiler:
                  On the edge of breaking down
                  sigpic
                  Banner made by me

Comment

I made some TH icons actually just for the heck of it because I didn't like the first TH set I did. Anyway, you're welcome to take them if you like and use as your avatar.

Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I made some TH icons actually just for the heck of it because I didn't like the first TH set I did. Anyway, you're welcome to take them if you like and use as your avatar.

<snip>
                      Thanks. They're gorgeous.
                      sigpic

Comment

Those are awesome.

Spoiler:
                        sigpic
                        Banner made by me

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Glitch!

Lilith, I think I saw this pic before. Was it a promo for Coriolanus or some other Shakespeare play TH was doing?
                            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

no clue.... it was on my tumblr dash, no caption or tags to say where it's from... just liked how he's all intense and battle-focused up til the last frame where he's not
                              sigpic

Comment

I believe those were promos for King Henry.

Spoiler:
                                sigpic
                                Banner made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X