Just started watching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just started watching

I just ordered the first two disks of Stargate Atlantis from Netflix, but I'm not too impressed so far. However, I want to give it a fair chance. Honestly, my biggest problem is that I miss SG1 A LOT. When they took Jack O'Neill off the show during season 9 of SG1, I practically quit watching the show altogether. I only just now finished seasons 9 and 10 which I actually liked- but much less than when Jack O'Neill was the main character. I didn't care too much for Vala, but I really liked Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel so I gave it another chance. But with Atlantis, the cast is almost entirely new, and I'm just not feeling it, I guess. I miss the old cast, and their very personal and rather humorous ways of interacting with each other.

I guess what I'm asking: Is Atlantis worth watching? I'm seriously considering sending the last disk back to Netflix without finishing it. Thanks for any and all input.
    sigpic

Yes, it's worth watching. You'll get to know and like the SGA crew as well, I hope.
    sigpic

Comment

It's hard to move on when you really like a cast. I loved Atlantis, but I watched it first. So I had the hard time getting used to SG1. Although, I was hooked pretty quick Keep watching!

Comment

ok, I've decided to persevere and finish disk 2 of season 1. Hopefully by the end, I'll feel differently. Does Jack, Sam, Daniel, or Teal'C for that matter appear in any of the following episodes? I hope so!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kali View Post
          ok, I've decided to persevere and finish disk 2 of season 1. Hopefully by the end, I'll feel differently. Does Jack, Sam, Daniel, or Teal'C for that matter appear in any of the following episodes? I hope so!
          They all appear at one time or another during the 5 seasons

Comment

Fair warning: SGA was my first Stargate show, so I feel a bit of a soft spot for it.

Even though they already had the general worldbuilding done, it always takes a while for a new show to find its feet. For example, the McKay role was originally going to be filled by a new character. By the time they changed their mind, they already had the first few episodes written, so they mostly just changed the name in the script and made a few changes. Once the writers actually see how the actors work, they're able to tune the scripts a bit better.

I believe The Storm and The Eye are on Disc 3. If you aren't connecting with any of the characters by the end of that, Atlantis probably isn't the show for you (at least for now).

Comment

During the first episodes of Atlantis I wasn't really impressed either, but as the story unfolded I became more and more interested in it and i'ts characters. For me it definitely was worth watching as I love everything involving the Stargate universe. The only negative is that the story stays unfinished by the end of the fifth season.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                Fair warning: SGA was my first Stargate show, so I feel a bit of a soft spot for it.

Even though they already had the general worldbuilding done, it always takes a while for a new show to find its feet. For example, the McKay role was originally going to be filled by a new character. By the time they changed their mind, they already had the first few episodes written, so they mostly just changed the name in the script and made a few changes. Once the writers actually see how the actors work, they're able to tune the scripts a bit better.

I believe The Storm and The Eye are on Disc 3. If you aren't connecting with any of the characters by the end of that, Atlantis probably isn't the show for you (at least for now).
                I'm getting disks 3 and 4 on Monday. And I agree, if I don't settle in by the end of those, it's probably not for me. I'm hoping the episodes will start to pick up a bit. At the very least, it's something to look forward to after work.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes they do, all of them in different episodes. keep watching I am sure you will love it, and you will love the connection to SG1.

Comment

You know in season 4
                    Spoiler:
                    Sam is in charge of Atlantis ...

Comment

I liked SGA, but not as much as SG1. It had some great episodes and some horrible ones, but it is still a valid part of the franchise that needs to be included to understand the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by HesBe View Post
                        Yes they do, all of them in different episodes. keep watching I am sure you will love it, and you will love the connection to SG1.
                        Awesome!

Originally posted by HesBe View Post
                        You know in season 4
                        Spoiler:
                        Sam is in charge of Atlantis ...
                        cool, that's good to know.

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                        I liked SGA, but not as much as SG1. It had some great episodes and some horrible ones, but it is still a valid part of the franchise that needs to be included to understand the whole.
                        I'm hoping for another show, or more movies as well. I'm looking forward to watching the next couple of disks then.

Thanks to all for the input.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kali View Post
                          I just ordered the first two disks of Stargate Atlantis from Netflix, but I'm not too impressed so far. However, I want to give it a fair chance. Honestly, my biggest problem is that I miss SG1 A LOT. When they took Jack O'Neill off the show during season 9 of SG1, I practically quit watching the show altogether. I only just now finished seasons 9 and 10 which I actually liked- but much less than when Jack O'Neill was the main character. I didn't care too much for Vala, but I really liked Sam, Teal'c, and Daniel so I gave it another chance. But with Atlantis, the cast is almost entirely new, and I'm just not feeling it, I guess. I miss the old cast, and their very personal and rather humorous ways of interacting with each other.

I guess what I'm asking: Is Atlantis worth watching? I'm seriously considering sending the last disk back to Netflix without finishing it. Thanks for any and all input.
                          With Sam getting the top spot in Atlantis season 4, don't get your hopes up. I loved Sam in SG-1, but she's a pretty weak character in SGAS4--she's basically Sam doing her best to act like General Hammond

I really like both shows, but the biggest disappointment for me with Atlantis is the rotating cast. Sheppard & McKay are featured heavily in every single episode, but the rest come and go--Teyla's consistently there too, but her role is quite small at times.

In SG-1 that fact didn't bother me as much because casting changes were at the request of the actors. Anderson (Jack) semi-retired from acting to raise his daughter, etc. With Atlantis, they ran out of material for 3 of the six original stars, and wrote them out of the show.

To me, seasons 2 & 3 of Atlantis feel like the real show, and the rest feels like a couple of entertaining miniseries--just like seasons 1-7 of SG-1 feel like the true show to me.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

^ i wondered how much material the writers would have for Atlantis because some of the episodes so far have been rather weak, imo. However, I watched "The Eye" last night, and I loved it. The best episode yet- Major Sheppard certainly grew a pair. Overall: awesome fight scenes which are usually my favorite part of most productions. And the plot was very well written. Two thumbs up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Piku View Post
                              During the first episodes of Atlantis I wasn't really impressed either, .
                              Wow.. you didn't like rising?

Comment

Working...
                              X