This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Did SGA Casting Struggle?

Obviously, SG-1 had arguably more cast turnover than Atlantis, but that was due wholly to actors making themselves unavailable. Every indication seems that the showrunners would have been thrilled to keep Jack, Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, and Hammond as the stars all ten seasons had the actors been willing & available.

Atlantis on the other hand wrote off three of the original six main characters relatively early on, none of which were at the actors' request. Why do you think the stories called for Ford, Weir, and Beckett to go?

For me, I think it's clear with Beckett. He was a standout character from the first scene of the pilot, and TPTB hastily made him a star. The problem was, the stories of Atlantis only occasionally called for a medical doctor, so they were forced to shoehorn him into episodes to justify his promotion. It hurt the show, and rather than admit their mistake and knock him back down to a very important recurring character, they killed him off.

The others seem less clear to me.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

I will preface this all with - IMHO.

Ford was not as interesting as Ronon.

But Carson and Elizabeth were dumped in order to bring over Jewel and Amanda (I'm using the actors' names because I think the producers were more interested in bringing those actors to the show while not really considering the roles they would fill).

About Carson not being suited to full time status - they made Keller full time in season 5. Of course, that was mostly to play damsel in distress for Rodney.

Comment

I agree with JT-2. And give the same IMHO.

One factor I've always wondered about was network pressure to make changes.

Also I give credence to the idea that part of it was the writers not knowing how to write for certain characters and just killing them off or killing them off because they thought they needed to bring more drama to the show (both of which I think show a lack of creativity).

Not going to speculate in public on the rumoured tensions, game playing and relationships behind the scenes that led to a variety of "creative" decisions. But they may have played a significant role. We'll never know.

While I think the decision to bring Ronon in was good, I thought Sam's stint on Atlantis was poor use of a great character and the way Jennifer's role was written was a complete disaster.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        Ford was not as interesting as Ronon.
        I completely agree, but I do wonder how much of that was RSF's fault. If the answer is "none," then the question presents, why wouldn't they just have written Ford to be more interesting?

I still don't begrudge this decision much, because as you said, we wound up with a better show for it.

But Carson and Elizabeth were dumped in order to bring over Jewel and Amanda (I'm using the actors' names because I think the producers were more interested in bringing those actors to the show while not really considering the roles they would fill).
        You're probably right--almost definitely in the case of Amanda. The thing with me is I loved Carter on SG-1, but thought she was terrible on Atlantis. She was basically written as a General Hammond impersonation which doesn't suit her at all. Elizabeth had fantastic chemistry with the entire cast except Ronon, and her lack of chemistry with Ronon was actually a great aspect of the show that they capitalized on very nicely.

About Carson not being suited to full time status - they made Keller full time in season 5. Of course, that was mostly to play damsel in distress for Rodney.
        I thought Keller was an unbelievably boring character with boring storylines, so I stand by my "Atlantis isn't conducive for a starring medical doctor." TBH, I thought the show benefited greatly from a heavily recurring Beckett, was hurt by a starring Beckett, and was crippled by a leading Keller.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

I thought Ford's arc was rather interesting, actually. It was a way to make the menace of the Wraith even clearer to the audience. But the character had gone as far as he would go, so getting rid of Ford, much as I liked the character, was IMO a good thing to do. Not to mention necessary in order to bring in Ronon, a fundamentally more powerful character, and to give Lorne more screen time.

Much as I loved Sam Carter on SG-1, I don't think her fit was as good on Atlantis. This because I've always preferred her as the scientist rather than the administrative officer... She didn't get enough opportunities to show off her scientific genius on SGA, simply because that spot was filled by McKay. Although to be fair, I thought the decision not to make her the leader of SG-1 after O'Neill's promotion was a mistake.

I enjoyed Beckett's character a lot early on, although I think resurrecting him was a mistake. He should have stayed dead and his work continued by someone else.

I never liked Elizabeth Weir, so it was a relief to see her finally go. She was IMO a poor fit with the rest of the crew, with the possible exception of Sheppard. I was actually rather annoyed that she resurfaced a couple of times before finally staying away...

I have nothing against Jewel Staite (I really enjoyed her character on Firefly), but Keller was a poor replacement for Beckett. To start with, she was far too young to be given the responsibility of a chief medical officer on Atlantis. Not to mention that her "romance" with McKay was so poorly written that it was painful to watch. Attraction is inexplicable much of the time to outsiders in any case, but quite frankly she struck me as the kind of girl who would prefer a guy with physical strength like Ronon to a wimp like McKay.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            I thought Ford's arc was rather interesting, actually. It was a way to make the menace of the Wraith even clearer to the audience. But the character had gone as far as he would go, so getting rid of Ford, much as I liked the character, was IMO a good thing to do. Not to mention necessary in order to bring in Ronon, a fundamentally more powerful character, and to give Lorne more screen time.
            I agree. I was never part of the save Ford campaign, but I do think RSF didn't get a fair shake. He played the character well, and didn't deserve to have his character ruined to write him off.

IMO, it would've been far better if instead of disappearing when the Hive was destroyed, Sheppard dragged him off the ship. They could've touched on his rehabilitation, and he could've been a strong recurring character.
            sigpic
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Here's my humble answer: The Creative Writing Team (who mostly were also the producers in charge).

There may have been other factors in play, but this one gets my vote the most. I think they had some people that did write good episodes, many were great. I just don't think they knew how to write for the cast they had because maybe some of them were used to different dynamics from their other show.

I think Ford was interesting, and the actor was good. He just wasn't given much, and I think he could have gotten a lot if they put the effort into it. He seemed to rise to the occasion when they finally gave him something when they were exiting his character off of the show. Too bad he had to be an addict, but at least he got something interesting to work with before he left.

Weir, while I liked her, made the most sense if they were just going to replace someone because they wanted to. I didn't think Amanda was the best fit for the show, but I do really like Carter and she was good on SG-1. She had some really good scenes with much of the cast in season 4, and so that was nice. Woolsey ended up being the better fit to me, though. I didn't think I would like him, but by the end of season 5 he seemed to fit in well and there was room for a very good story to be told with him.

Carson, out of the 3, made the least amount of sense to try to replace. His upgraded role was a welcome thing from me, and I think there were plenty of times a doctor was or could have been needed. It just came down to the producers wanting to keep him and the writers being willing to give him things to do. We're dealing with military/science hybrid teams that are exploring a new galaxy. Of course, they'll need an experienced doctor!

sigpic

Comment

In all shows, the creators create characters that would seem interesting on paper. Some people would even create a rough outline on the character arc, they would take too. Then the show airs and writers realize that certain characters do not work well in stories or very difficult to make a story for. They realize the character is basically dead weight, so they kill them off to bring in fresh meat.

Ford was boring. We barely had any idea who he was aside from being young and new to the whole Stargate experience. The writers had a hard time fitting him into stories. I think it may have been because there was already an officer like him. Think about the dynamic between Carter and O'Neil, the two are very different from each other. Ford and Sheppard are too similar to each other.

So they create Ronan who is different and more interesting.

Carson from what I understand just killed him to kill someone. Couldn't kill any of the main cast (yet) so they went with the B-team. Simple as that.

Weir had tough shoes to fill in terms of basically being the equivalent of Hammond or even Landry. Two leaders who stood on their own but Weir couldn't and she was more in the forefront of stories than Hammond or Landry ever were.

Honestly, I can't tell if it's the writing or the actress, but Weir always seemed to be 'off' to me. I think people caught onto that as well. It didn't help matters when Amanda Tapping had a year left on her contract when SG-1 was cancelled. So they brought her in.

Star Trek TNG had something similar with their first few seasons. They killed off Yar because the actress felt she was underused and obviously they did not know how to write her. Same goes for Troi and Crusher. Gates McFadden (Crusher) left in Season 2, to only come back when it was realized on both sides, they could do a better job. Troi really just sucked for about 6 seasons until they made her put on a uniform. Star Trek Voyager had something similar as well when they replaced Kes with 7 of 9.

I can't say if it's bad writing or development for the character from the beginning or bad acting but no one really knows how a character in a show was supposed to develop. Again in Star Trek Voyager, Nelix was supposed to be a breakout character. Turned out the EMH was it which is why later seasons focused alot on him at the expense of the other actors.
                Hi There!

Comment

My complain about actors is that tayla was a badly acted character. There were other badly acted characters too. Who agrees with me with original doctor weir being better?(the one in the last 2 episodes of sg-1 season 7)... the old weir had a natural look and would have been better to see.

Anyways, i think the writting wasn't that great in SGA compared to sg-1 when it comes to characters. I also think they could have shifted daniel to the show than carter(daniel being far far more charismatic on the screen). Amanda tapping's only good moments in the whole stargate saga were when she is in her tender moments(great acting in those moments) but her screen presence is really zero without those moments for me.

I also think that giving too much importance to mckay's character took away from the other characters and the show. Tayla and sheppard romance arc would have been better. I also wish costumes were better for the people from pegasus(ronon was a pain to look at).

Another thing i think they missed was more interacting between the two galaxies when it came to villains. I mean ori and the goauld should have threatened them as well and would have been interesting to see. The lack of ascended being interaction was also something that i didn't like about it.

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
                    My complain about actors is that tayla was a badly acted character.
                    An actor can only do so much as they are given, and I think Rachel did a pretty awesome job as far as Teyla was concerned. But I might by biased since she's my second favorite character in the show.

There were other badly acted characters too.
                    Were there any you liked?

Who agrees with me with original doctor weir being better?(the one in the last 2 episodes of sg-1 season 7)... the old weir had a natural look and would have been better to see.
                    I don't agree. Both Jessica Steen and Torri Higginson did a good job with the Weir character. And for your information, Jessica is only 4 years older than Torri, so I wouldn't really call her old. Unless you were talking about the aged Weir in Before I Sleep... ...whose only a few thousand years older.

I don't know why they decided on an actor change for the part but they probably had their reasons. I didn't mind the switch.

Anyways, i think the writting wasn't that great in SGA compared to sg-1 when it comes to characters.
                    That's a fault which can only be contributed to those who created the characters. Perhaps they should have made more of an effort -- I can't say I disagree.

I also think they could have shifted daniel to the show than carter(daniel being far far more charismatic on the screen).
                    Daniel could have been a good fit in Atlantis. However, IMO they might have had to put a tracker in him to keep taps on him. He would have disappeared in the deepest dungeons of the city, eagerly exploring.

I guess, he's easy on the eyes... I don't know.

Amanda tapping's only good moments in the whole stargate saga were when she is in her tender moments(great acting in those moments) but her screen presence is really zero without those moments for me.
                    Please elaborate on the "tender moments" cause you've lost me here.

I also think that giving too much importance to mckay's character took away from the other characters and the show.
                    TPTW loved McKay -- that much is clear, both from the amount of fun he was given as to interviews in behind-the-scenes/convention stuff. Detrimental to the whole, I might add. I have the numbers to show he was in every frellin' episode... near the end, it was more like McKay and his sidekicks.

Tayla and sheppard romance arc would have been better.
                    Eyes of the beholder... but no, thanks. As in no romance opposed to Teyla hooking up with Sheppard. She can hook up with whomever she likes (Kanaan for example, or Kate) but TPTW couldn't write romance if their life depended on it.

I also wish costumes were better for the people from pegasus(ronon was a pain to look at).
                    Isn't Ronon a Pegasus native? Aren't you contradicting yourself there?

Another thing i think they missed was more interacting between the two galaxies when it came to villains. I mean ori and the goauld should have threatened them as well and would have been interesting to see.
                    If the Ori were an offshoot of the Ancients, they should probably have known about the dwarf galaxy. However, that also includes knowing about the Wraith and the replicators they build to destroy them. Possible a good enough reason to keep their villany in the one galaxy they were conquering, or bending to their will.

The Goa'uld did go to Atlantis, albeit hiding out in innocent ship captain's brains.

The lack of ascended being interaction was also something that i didn't like about it.
                    Ascended beings do not interact with puny humans, punishable by excommunication... see Chaya, Oma Desala, Orlin...
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Of course much of the shows "problems" can be put down to typical Low-ish Budget Weekley TV/Hollywood nonsense....aka IT all about da Money!
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

I think the reason why the original actress who played Wier was replaced because the whole time she was in that episode, she had the deer in headlights look. She really didn't have any strength to the character.
                        Hi There!

Comment

I personally liked Tori better then the original Weir. I thought she was a good actress, and wished she would have stayed. I'm also a die-hard Carson fan. I can tolerate Keller, (and I love Jewel Staite, I think she's adorable) but she's no Carson.

Did you guys ever listen to the Big Finish audio books that they have out, the one that Kavan Smith read? There was a part where he compared his infirmary experience with Dr. Keller to what it would have been like with Carson, favoring Carson. I thought that was an interesting comparison that they threw in.
                          "I'm afraid the only bandaids we have are Ninja Turtles...that's the last time I let Colonel Sheppard help me with my medical supply list!!"

--Dr. Beckett "Real Life Atlantis" Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Silversi View Post
                            I personally liked Tori better then the original Weir. I thought she was a good actress, and wished she would have stayed. I'm also a die-hard Carson fan. I can tolerate Keller, (and I love Jewel Staite, I think she's adorable) but she's no Carson.

Did you guys ever listen to the Big Finish audio books that they have out, the one that Kavan Smith read? There was a part where he compared his infirmary experience with Dr. Keller to what it would have been like with Carson, favoring Carson. I thought that was an interesting comparison that they threw in.
                            Agree with all of the above! And I thought the same from the audiobook!
                            sigpic
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

One of the better discussions on GateWorld IMO.

Carter was the worst fit of the show at least considering how far the character had to fall. Weir was simply the better character but like Hammond should have been a bit more in the background.

Ronan/Ford a no brainer best change in the series.

Too much of both doctors and as stated they should have been in the background even more than Weir.
                              Carson's whinny complaining got to be annoying and I suspect in a reduced proper dose would have been a good thing but way too much to like..
                              As much as I liked the McKay character it became over done particularly in 5

One thing that always bugged me was how everything was clean. Even a backwater dirty village with no plumbing or electricity and all the people were clean with ruffled but sanitary clothing.
                              Look at Firefly and notice how things are more realistic in that their is dirt/grime/dust etc everywhere
                              OT but had to rant a bit

Another overplay was the hottie aspect they attributed to Carter. While an attractive women she is a middle aged one and seemed to want to be portrayed like a 20 something (Something carried over to Sanctuary and started to become laughable)

The sexual tension was middle school at best and detracted too far from reality given the pressure humans would have been under in such a situation. I in no way wanted the Young and the Restless of the Pegasus Galaxy something closer to SGU/BSG would have greatly added to SGA.

A little more SG1 member (Carter as an occasion not a regular) visits would have been good (Teal'c and Ronon episode was a nice change of direction) and Mitchell once in a while would have been a bonus

I would rate SGA as very good that could (and should) have been excellent. They were close to something even better than what we saw and criticism aside I still liked the show and will watch it every few years

Wulfmann

Comment

Working...
                              X