Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pegasus Alarm..

Hi all

A while back I read somewhere that the next idea for Atlantis was for it to be based on the moon and for an alarm to go off suddenly arming the self destruct because Atlantis has detected that its no longer in the pegasus galaxy.

I've never liked this idea for several reasons and to be honest the whole idea seemed a bit cheesy to me.

First of all Atlantis could scan space in real time and see other ships that are out there etc. It could also detect airborne threats in real time and shut down parts of the city etc. Why would it take so long to detect its not in the pegasus galaxy? - This just seems daft.

Next what would be the point blowing it up so late after it potentially falling into enemy hands and revealing all the ancients knowledge? - If it goes bang six weeks after leaving peg, thats six weeks any other alien race could have used to download the entire ancient database, study the shield tech, drones etc.

Finally although it was a city, Atlantis also served as a space ship capable of travelling long ranges. Now the ancients with the worm hole drive clearly intended it to be able to travel from one galaxy to another with relative ease so what would be the point locking it into one galaxy?

I liked the idea of it returning to peg temporarily or even alternating between peg and the MW every few weeks protecting both but I think the producers were barking mad to use such a silly idea to take it back there. The wraith developing new hyperspace engines and having a ship show up above earth would have been an interesting idea and would have given Atlantis a reason to go back and make a tactical strike. This would have also then left Atlantis in a position of possibly hunting out other wraith cruisers and destroying them while also trying to free the galaxy of humans from the threat of culling.

Another interesting twist would have been for the wraith to take over the buried city ship and resurrect it from it's burial place or even the Genii who being so miffed with us decide to level up the playing field..

Thoughts and comments are welcome (except from Quad Helix).

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
    Finally although it was a city, Atlantis also served as a space ship capable of travelling long ranges. Now the ancients with the worm hole drive clearly intended it to be able to travel from one galaxy to another with relative ease so what would be the point locking it into one galaxy?
    That is an excellent point. But I have to admit, I would have liked the visuals of Atlantis on the moon.
    sigpic

Comment

That was the idea for the movie that was never made. I was actually happy it was not made with such a bad plot line.

Comment

The plot line seemed to indicate that the writers had given up some what on plugging such gaping holes like that. If you read the rest of the synopsis for that idea, you'll understand what I'm saying. Trust me, totally awesome visual of Atlantis on the moon aside, the "coincidentally" sudden alarm was the least of the worries.
        sigpic

Comment

Did I read somewhere also that said episode was going to have time travel with Todd involved?

Comment

Originally posted by gashead View Post
            Did I read somewhere also that said episode was going to have time travel with Todd involved?
            Not a clue but that would have been a better plot - for Atlantis to be monitoring the space-time continuum in real time (lets say one of Janus's achievements to protect the ancients back in the day). It picks up an anomaly thats threatening Atlantis's past and that causes an alarm of sorts.. even potentially opening a wormhole back in time itself (another undiscovered feature the Atlantis personnel were unaware of).

Comment

Thoughts and comments are welcome (except from Quad Helix).
              The irony here is that, for the most part, I agree with everything that you've said. The only objections that I would raise are to certain details that in no way relate to the substance of your argument.
              "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
              - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
              - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
              - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                The irony here is that, for the most part, I agree with everything that you've said. The only objections that I would raise
                Point made..

Comment

Point made..
                  I don't see how.

Your complaint was, "All I've done is put forward and idea and try to explain the logic and reasoning behind it and you just try to rip it apart." I have no interest in ripping your idea in this thread apart because I agree with the idea and 90% of the reasoning behind it.

If you cannot accept someone voicing disagreement on even that 10%, why did you bother posting the idea?

EDIT:

To say on topic:

I've never liked this idea for several reasons and to be honest the whole idea seemed a bit cheesy to me.
                  Amen

First of all Atlantis could scan space in real time and see other ships that are out there etc. It could also detect airborne threats in real time and shut down parts of the city etc. Why would it take so long to detect its not in the pegasus galaxy? - This just seems daft.
                  Amen

Next what would be the point blowing it up so late after it potentially falling into enemy hands and revealing all the ancients knowledge? - If it goes bang six weeks after leaving peg, thats six weeks any other alien race could have used to download the entire ancient database, study the shield tech, drones etc.
                  I think it was one week, but that doesn't really change your point, so Amen.

It also has an intergalactic hyperdrive that could get it from Pegasus to Milky Way in no-time flat, so Amen.

On a side note, another thing that bugged me about the movie was the idea that Atlantis's wormhole drive could get it back to Pegasus. I mean, even just using the Stargate to traverse that distance is a power-intensive process, and Atlantis is much, much bigger than a Stargate (and in other news, the ocean is wet).
                  Last edited by Quadhelix; 27 June 2013, 03:20 PM.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Yeah the wormhole drive never really did it for me either in that last episode.

I could understand the hyperdrive not being fast enough and zelenka taking risky action to increase the efficiency at the risk of burning it out etc but wormhole drive? .. unplausible.

Comment

If you cannot accept someone voicing disagreement on even that 10%, why did you bother posting the idea?
                      I can take criticism like the next bloke but you tend to go through someones ideas line by line and dismember the entire post. That becomes a drain after a while.

Comment

Yeah the wormhole drive never really did it for me either in that last episode.
                        I don't mind the idea of the wormhole drive per se, although I can certainly understand why someone would have a problem with ("Let's introduce a new drive technology with little-to-no precedent in what we've already established").

I could understand the hyperdrive not being fast enough and zelenka taking risky action to increase the efficiency at the risk of burning it out etc but wormhole drive? .. unplausible.
                        IIRC, they introduced the wormhole drive in "Enemy at the Gate" to set up the movie/Season 6. Which then never happened.

I can take criticism like the next bloke but you tend to go through someones ideas line by line and dismember the entire post. That becomes a drain after a while.
                        Yeah. I am sorry about that and I'm working on not doing that.

So thank you for calling that to my attention.

Comment

Yeah. I am sorry about that and I'm working on not doing that.

So thank you for calling that to my attention.
                          It's great that you two worked that out.
                          sigpic

Comment

It does sound a pretty weak plotline.

On the other hand it's only really a very minor thing, but all thy are really needing is some reason why Atlantis must return to Pegasus. There could be all manner of valid reasons why SGC might want/need to do that without the silly self destruct idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Railgun View Post
                              On the other hand it's only really a very minor thing, but all thy are really needing is some reason why Atlantis must return to Pegasus. There could be all manner of valid reasons why SGC might want/need to do that without the silly self destruct idea.
                              It seems like it would be pretty hard to name a reason why it has to be Atlantis and not, e.g., Daedalus, Odyssey, and/or Hammond.

One alternative could have been to take the show in another direction for Season 6 and split the show between Atlantis on the Moon and SG-teams operating out of a "Pegasus Alpha-Site." Of course, the two would probably be able to dial each other because they would both have ZPMs, so it might not be too much different from earlier seasons, save that it would be harder to present a credible threat to the city (which is bad).

Comment

Working...
                              X