So I finished Season 2 the other day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finished Season 2 the other day...

Hey, haven't been on Gateworld for ages, but I finished Season 2 of The Walking Dead the other day, and thought I'd discuss it a bit.

The Walking Dead has to be one of the most frustrating shows ever, the show has it's awesome moments, but its between moments of moronic decisions and unlikeable characters. The pilot episode, is probably the best pilot for any show I've ever seen, it was fantastic, full of tense moments and great atmosphere. Unfortunately the series IMO has failed to reach the greatness that was the pilot. The main reason IMO is, that the writing is all over the place and the characters are just generally unlikeable and make terrible decisions. Season 2 moved very slowly, but it would have been okay if the character drama was good enough to make up for it, but a lot of the time it was boring. When something did happen, it was accompanied by just weird plot choices. Lorri going off to get Rick and Herschel by herself? That doesn't make any sense.

The whole Shane plot was very well done, and the climax towards the end of S2 was great. However, the other characters are either poorly written or barely explored, at all. T-Dog is barely a character at all, he must get like, 3 lines tops per episode? Carol isn't interesting at all, Glen keeps turning Maggie away later in the season, for, some reason, and Daryl, while awesome, kinda disappears in the second half of S2.

The finale of S2, was in a word, awesome. The zombie action was excellent and for the most part everything made sense, except for Lorri's reaction to Rick killing Shane. She was practically telling him to kill him several episodes prior! Anyway the last 2 episodes of Season 2 were fantastic, I just wish the rest of the series was this good. I don't need action-packed zombie invasions every episode, but I wish the character drama and plot were consistent.

So yeah, in conclusion this show could be so good, but I think the inconsistent writing and characterisation hurts it a lot. I'll watch Season 3 whenever it comes out on DVD/Bluray here, but if it keeps going the way Season 2 went, I think I might just give up on the show all together. Its a bit disappointing considering how amazing the pilot was. Oh, and I hope Carl and Lorri die as soon as possible, two of the most irritating characters ever

So, Walking Dead fans, what are your thoughts on Season 3, and what do you think of the show overall?

I liked season 3. And I like the show overall. A lot.

Sure, there are things I would change about it. But most people I know who discuss television and movie entertainment all come up with things they'd change about this or that.

Despite the things I don't like about TWD, it still mostly consists of stuff I do like. And it's beautifully shot. And I loved the constant background noise of cicadas in the first few seasons. Watching it in full Dolby Digital I actually felt like I was there in the oppressive heat along with the characters. And the acting is mostly pretty damn good.*

Overall though ... I think they just need to get moving about more often. I know it would cost more to have so many different locations. But there's a whole world gone to hell out there and I want to know what it looks like.

Can't wait for season 4.

*Coincidentally, most of the shows I like and therefore regularly/semi-regularly watch, or used to watch, have foreign actors playing the lead American characters: Walking Dead (Rick & the Gov: both Brits), The Wire (McNulty, Stringer, Carcetti: Brits & Irish), Fringe (Walter, Olivia: both Aussies), Homeland (Brody: Brit), House (House: Brit), The Mentalist (Jane: Aussie), Without a Trace (Malone, Spade: both Aussies), Hawaii Five O (Steve: Aussie - lame show, but good for brain-switched-off-time), and the upcoming Almost Human is a sure-to-watch (Kennex: Kiwi - Karl "Bones McCoy" Urban). Special mention to Orphan Black starring Tatiana Maslany - who is Canadian, but without giving too much away, she can pull off many, many accents. Great show ... check it out.

Comment

Yeah, the visuals of the show are fantastic. Though my OP may have focused on the negative aspects, I do like the show, when the show hits the mark, its incredible. The acting is mostly very good (except for *cough* Carl *cough*), and I'm looking forward to some new scenery in Season 3.

Comment

I truly dislike the show but watch it cause my gf wants to and she tells me I can't complain, so I just sit there quietly watching idiots run around giving myself an ulcer.

The zombies/zombie virus seem to have killed off all people with technical and logical minds that would eventually get around to rebuilding civilization and taking out the zombies and instead has left all the idiotic, dysfunctional people alive. To me, the show's a melodrama with a zombie backdrop. Just don't care if the idiots live or die.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
          I truly dislike the show but watch it cause my gf wants to and she tells me I can't complain, so I just sit there quietly watching idiots run around giving myself an ulcer.

The zombies/zombie virus seem to have killed off all people with technical and logical minds that would eventually get around to rebuilding civilization and taking out the zombies and instead has left all the idiotic, dysfunctional people alive. To me, the show's a melodrama with a zombie backdrop. Just don't care if the idiots live or die.
          I think this sums it up nicely.

My problem with the show is that 10x more people die from humans than from, well, zombies. Basically you can remove zombies for the show and it's largely the same show.

That and they keep people i hate alive too long and people i can tolerate are killed. Sometimes in horribly corny ways.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            I think this sums it up nicely.

My problem with the show is that 10x more people die from humans than from, well, zombies. Basically you can remove zombies for the show and it's largely the same show.

That and they keep people i hate alive too long and people i can tolerate are killed. Sometimes in horribly corny ways.
            Spoiler:
            Yeah, like Dale. Somehow he walks through an OPEN FIELD, and somehow the zombie ends up right behind him.

There's nothing wrong with having unlikeable characters, but other than MAYBE Rick and Daryl(IMO) there really aren't any likeable characters in the show at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Parallel Reality View Post
              Spoiler:
              Yeah, like Dale. Somehow he walks through an OPEN FIELD, and somehow the zombie ends up right behind him.

There's nothing wrong with having unlikeable characters, but other than MAYBE Rick and Daryl(IMO) there really aren't any likeable characters in the show at all.
              Yea the teleporting zombies and sudden nightfall left me with a massive WTF.

I dont mind unlikeable characters. Its that to me, the show makes it really hard for me to like it. It's as if it is intentional.

Not to mention the whole Sophia plot was WAY too long and super-ultra annoying. I cant stand that name anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                Yea the teleporting zombies and sudden nightfall left me with a massive WTF.

I dont mind unlikeable characters. Its that to me, the show makes it really hard for me to like it. It's as if it is intentional.
                Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about the show. There's so much potential there, and at times there are some really awesome moments, but it's just so inconsistent.

The Sophia storyline definitely went on too long, and though the way it turned out was heartwrenching and actually well put together, the way Shane lost it and everything, it just took so long to get to that point, and there was just so much...nothing happening along the way.

Comment

Working...
                X