PDA

View Full Version : GateWorld Alpha Site

Spiko
February 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
oh cool. If u didnt know, its the backup site for gateworld:
http://www.gateworldalphasite.com/

not much there, but its rely cool. its like the real thing like when Teal'c had to dial the alpha site cause Earth's gate wasn't workin. cool.

DownFallAngel
February 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Of course we knew! It's made by GW. It says that on the page! Darren and David have only been talking to the Forum about it since two weeks ago.

Spiko
February 12th, 2005, 06:20 PM
<snip>

ps: cool avatar

DownFallAngel
February 12th, 2005, 06:22 PM
ps: cool avatar

Thank you. I was thinking about changing it though, to another character perhaps? But we stray from topic....

Spiko
February 12th, 2005, 06:24 PM
no way, Apollo is awesome. I may go to Baltar when the option becomes available. anyways there isnt much else to say bout Alpha site anyway: there's only two paragraphs on it.

ShadowMaat
February 12th, 2005, 06:24 PM
lol, i knew that. i just crave attention.
*takes a deep breath and counts to ten*

Spiko, would you please try and have at least a little consideration for common courtesy and PLEASE stop making pointless, useless threads just because you can?

Spiko
February 12th, 2005, 06:26 PM
lol, wat r u talking about? its not pointless. wat if som1 rely wants to talk about it.

kelmah
February 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
*takes a deep breath and counts to ten*

Spiko, would you please try and have at least a little consideration for common courtesy and PLEASE stop making pointless, useless threads just because you can?

DITTO!!!!!

Spiko, MUST you act so immature?

Replicarter
February 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM
lol, wat r u talking about? its not pointless. wat if som1 rely wants to talk about it. besides i wanna be jaffa foder.

So you admit you want to just have a higer ranking? Making pointless threads to increase your ranking is spam, and will earn you red reputation, which im sure you dont want if you care about rankings so much.

Spiko
February 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM
omg! people this was over a week ago.
Just leave me alone.
edit: I would like you to know that I am new to this and have improved much since last week.

Madeleine
February 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I can see no other thread about the alpha site.

If there is one and I've missed it, then if anyone PMs me I'll merge the two.

If there is one and I've missed it, then Spiko has a jolly good excuse for missing it too, so hands off him, he even spells stuff right now ;)

If there isn't one, then: Thanks Spiko for starting this one.

ShadowMaat
February 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM
If he'd left it as is, I think it would have been OK. It's the "I just crave attention" thing that seems to bug people. It kinda invalidates the original post. But he claims to be improving, so... whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for the news that the forum will be down for a few days while we move to a new, more reliable server. Something tells me I'll be a long time waiting for that, though. :( *wistful sigh*

Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
February 19th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I'm a fan of the Alpha Site. No matter how...er...n00bish?...Spiko acted all the way up...It's nice to have a thread for it :D Now...how 'bout adding more stuff to the Alpha site? You know...just in case...like a proper forum, not the yahoo group thing, where we have fall back threads for the major threads in GW like the S/J shipper thread and stuff ;)?

ShadowMaat
February 20th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Wouldn't work. Then you'd have people posting at both locations at the same time. It'd have to be something that ONLY went up during blackouts and then was taken down again and that would have far too many complications to be viable.

Besides, the thinking is that we should never experience an outage like that again, so we wouldn't NEED a board.

But then again, if we're sticking with Oktagone, it might be a smart move to have a full-fledged backup somewhere. :P

Next time it could be forever...

kelmah
February 24th, 2005, 08:53 AM
speaking of that- did anyone else have trouble getting into the forum a few days ago? it didn't last long, but still...

Janus
March 27th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I've posted the somewhere too, but since this the Alpha Site Thread:

Mods, the place needs updating.
It still has the same info as when it came on-line.
Please get busy and fix this.

Janus

David
March 27th, 2005, 04:06 AM
What do you think needs to be put there?

Janus
March 27th, 2005, 05:13 AM
What do you think needs to be put there?

Well, you could change the line about the Francks interview.
The most recent interview is with the guy who plays Baal.
The info about DNS-change/update can go, it's no longer relevant.

Bottom-line: The piece of text under the On-Line indicator needs to be renewed.

Also IMHO, it might be a good idea to place the Gate-news headlines on the Alpha site as well.

Janus

ShadowMaat
March 27th, 2005, 05:31 AM
I thought the opint of the Alpha Site was so that people would have a place to go if Gateworld WASN'T up. That means that having links to things on Gateworld itself would be kinda pointless.

Granted, maybe some of the "outdated" info could be removed, but if the site has to be constantly updated and maintained just like Gateworld itself, well... It kinda defeats the purpose of Gateworld itself and it doubles the workload for Darren and David. They're quite busy enough already. ;)

I think Darren said he'd tag something on when the Forums were being moved...

Janus
March 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I thought the opint of the Alpha Site was so that people would have a place to go if Gateworld WASN'T up.

That exactly all you can do with it, go there and then leave again.
Not much of a website.... :S :eek: :S

ShadowMaat
March 27th, 2005, 08:32 AM
It isn't SUPPOSED to be. D&D have enough of a time managing the ONE site. The Aplha Site is so that IF something goes cataclysmically wrong with the main site, people won't flood them with IMs/emails asking what happened. It's a way for them to keep us updated on the situation- that's it. It isn't a back door into Gateworld, it isn't a Gateworld substitute, it's just a convenient way to send a mass IM to everyone. Instead of sending five thousand individual messages, they can make one blanket statement saying "Here's what happened. Here's what we're doing about it. Here's when you can expect things to be back online." And, of course, the eventual "Things ARE back online and this is what happened." It's an information site ABOUT Gateworld, not Gateworld, itself. ;)

Spiko
March 27th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I can see no other thread about the alpha site.

If there is one and I've missed it, then if anyone PMs me I'll merge the two.

If there is one and I've missed it, then Spiko has a jolly good excuse for missing it too, so hands off him, he even spells stuff right now ;)

If there isn't one, then: Thanks Spiko for starting this one.

Thank you very much Madeleine_W.

If he'd left it as is, I think it would have been OK. It's the "I just crave attention" thing that seems to bug people. It kinda invalidates the original post. But he claims to be improving, so... whatever.

Thank you too ShadowMaat, I'd like to think I have :D. I've finaly edited that post just now. I'm sorry I left it there so long.

ps: thanks for bringing this thread back to my atention, as I was looking for a link there.

-Spiko

GateWorld
March 27th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Yes, the GateWorld Alpha Site is an information resource in case of cataclysm. It is not an alternative Web site to GW itself, and won't have the usual content.

I've updated the message on the site. Generally, though, when all is well with the main site and forum this page will remain unchanged.

Darren

Osiris-RA
March 27th, 2005, 07:07 PM
All I can say is ... Thank God GW's Baackk!!! :D

kelmah
April 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
yay GW!!!

Lord Zedd
April 6th, 2005, 04:55 AM
yeah and if gateworld is down you can always join the stargate intel forum
click on the link in my signature ;)