X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cpt Kirk Diplomacy Works in History

Cpt Kirk Diplomacy Works in History
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I’m not a history expert so this is just to the best of my amateur recall and opinion. (spelling is a learning disablity of mine please excuse what my spell checker misses) I welcome more comment and more accurate historical information. I brought this up after the Sanctuary episode and the actual description of this being Captain Kirk behavior but this applies to way more SG-1 episodes than this. SG-1 here is used for both shows unless specified.

My opinion is romancing the alien female has been a very common part of the history of exploration on Earth and these romances have been sometimes very helpful for the exploriers. I also observe that the explorers romancing the locals is very common (almost the rule) and that very often the local females are very interested in returning the romances.

The Captain Kirk behavior type I believe was not originated by Star Trek I believe that Trek just copied this from earlier fiction which got the idea from historical accounts. (Some of these historical accounts were highly inaccurate and partially fictional but did not make up the benefits of some romances even if the persons were misidentified)

Most successful romance I recall was Cortez for an Mexican area Indian woman. This woman helped greatly with Cortez finding Indian allies and giving advice that helped Cortez to conquer the Aztecs. I believe from my recall of my Advanced Latin American History course that this woman is a national villain in Mexico today but I cannot recall her name or if I spelled Cortez right.

Of course in American history we have Pocahontas who greatly helped with initial good relations. I recall more vaguely many instances of sailers or explorers benefiting from relationships from at least getting provisions from their dalliances with local women.

Of course back then expeditions were all male and so the males were sort of desprite for female companionship regardless of whether it was helpful or not. It was a sexist culture then but that does not make the tactic itself bad. This still applies if not quite as much to our SG-1 exploriers because most of our explorers are single and Atlantis specificity does seam to have way more males than females.

I have read of some scientific theories with some backing that indicate that there is a human instinct to add foreign DNA to the tribe. This shows up in the attraction the foreigner that many have. In particular this would be augmented by the attraction to Alfa types that the brave explorer could defiantly fit the mode by being perceived as brave, powerful and smart and thus good DNA stock. I bring this instinctual attraction up to give some information on why romancing is often so successful.

Although politically incorrect being a Captain Kirk/Carter* on missions I believe is an effective tactic that the SG-1s should continue to use. After all guns are politically incorrect as well. Yes the flirting tactic is a double edged sword and can cut you back if your not careful but this is a risk benefit analysis that I would be on the use side.

I also don’t see this as sexist as the diplomatic/spying seduction is a tool that both sexes can use and it’s not exploitative unless you use it to take advantage otherwise it’s an even trade. Like many things it’s not the use but the motives behind the use that make it morally good or bad.

I think that some of the negative view of being a Captain Kirk is because back at that time most often it was sexist in that Kirk would be the superior leader hero to the weak damsel in distress. Back then a women character would not be a hero and be sexually forward nor could the person in distress be male.

On Alias some complain when Sydney wears a sexy outfit and flirts thinking that the skin is just a ratings ploy and explotive. They are forgeting that sexual seduction is a very common successful spy tactic and to not use seduction frequently would be unrealistic for a spy show. The same should apply to romance as a negotation tactic on SG-1 in my opinion. It’s an effective tactic that should be a part of the SG-1 standard operating procedures. Yes romancing has drawbacks just like carrying guns on a diplomatic mission has drawbacks but to me both guns and romancing have more positives than negatives.

Teyla to me does seam to subscribe to the idea that flirtation is a useful tactic for her to use and she does it inteligently.

*I used Captain for Carter as that worked better than using two ranks plus naval rank Captain is higher rank than Carter’s Air Force ranks :-)
    Carter has successfully used this tactic more than once (even if it backfired later she still needed the short range gain to make it to the long term)

Sexuality can be a weapon or tactic but it goes both ways...remember that Pocahontas later died due to disease, and in "Brief Candle" the Capt Kirk diplomacy led to O'Neill contracting a nearly deadly STD.
    sigpic

Comment

Yep Hyperspace defiantly one of the Cons on the Pro/Con list is sexually transmitted diseases. If I recall correctly the Luis and Clark expedition had most of them come down with syphilis after sleeping with the women of a tribe.

With my recommendation I was recommending the teams use flirting when appropriate and flirting does not have to develop onto full on sex to be useful.

Defenatly with modern medicine available heath screening should be done before moving on to sexual relations.

(one of my major nits with SD-1 both shows is teams should be treated as biologically contaminated from each mission to a new world and isolated until cleared wether or not romances is used as a tactic. The teams should be isolated even if they did not find any people even. It’s one of the things I have to ignore to enjoy watching this show)

Pocahontas like the vast majority of Indians died from disease most of the Indians dying without ever seeing a white man. The effects of the historical exploration were devastating. With my recommendation I was hoping the SG’s would learn from the positive parts of history but try to avoid the negatives.
      Again you would medically screen for what the native could give the explorer but also screen for the safety of the native.

I left out the major benefits of a full blown romance in binding alliances and sharing cultures. You do need to have team members prepared that if they do fall in love that they have to try very hard to keep the relationship going well even if they become unhappy with it because the effects of a break up could cause problems.

One thing I vaguely recall is incidents both in the Americas and Northern Africa where local groups had a tradition of wife swapping with visitors and refusal could cause major problems. Anyone familiar with these incidents in truth or are they legends? I have only watched about half of the original series so I am unfamiliar if this has ever came up in an episode.

I do recall from the movie Daniel’s bride being forced on him, major common error with her is that she should have been around twelve to fit with the normal marriage age for a primitive tribe but that is a common error of almost all shows dealing with history or primitive cultures.

Comment

Helen of Troy?
        Parap pup pup paaa ... I'm Lovin' It!

Comment

sleep with the princess, become the king
          "I was just looking at the sky, Trying to figure out how many stars we'd actually been to."

Comment

Hm, I think your points have merit, Mil. As soon as I began reading your theory, I thought of Pocahontas and also of that one Indian lady that came along on the Louis and Clark expedition (although I can't remember if she was married to one of them or not...) But it's true that relationships between men and women have been a longstanding way to create peaceful relationships between groups. Although I don't really like how Sheppard was getting close to the woman in Sanctuary, I can see how it could create an advantage on their side, seeing how she was the leader of the people and all.
            !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

Originally posted by newton4881
              "It's my duty, to hit that booty."

*No offense intended to all the ladies out there.*

Why did I enlist during a time of war? Because I'm "Army Strong," not "Army Smart."

Forget this "Army of One" BS. I signed up to "Be all that I can be!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeril
                Hm, I think your points have merit, Mil. As soon as I began reading your theory, I thought of Pocahontas and also of that one Indian lady that came along on the Louis and Clark expedition (although I can't remember if she was married to one of them or not...) But it's true that relationships between men and women have been a longstanding way to create peaceful relationships between groups. Although I don't really like how Sheppard was getting close to the woman in Sanctuary, I can see how it could create an advantage on their side, seeing how she was the leader of the people and all.
                I did not like how Sheppard seamed to be fairly mindless in his connection. I would hope that he was being somewhat reserved.

To the best of my understanding with Spies of both sexes when you send them to seduce someone to gain information there is always a danger that the spy will become more loyal to their target than your side so the Spy’s handler always has to watch out for this possible backfire of the seduction technique.

This back fire is why I like what Mc Kay was doing as well. You need people who take the opposite side and be suspicious of the other side and or your people who’s job is to become friendly (or by accident become friendly) Even without romance just normal friendship or empathy can bias a team member to miss important things as we have seen on many SG episodes. The only problem I had with Mc Kay is that he vocalizes his reservations in front of the people you are trying to negotiate with. Forget romancing on missions McKay should never be exposed to natives at first as their is way to much chance his bluntness will get everyone killed. (I’d like him along if I can keep him in the ship, put a gag on him where he can only talk to the ear pieces on the team or out of sight as his opinion is very useful at times)

Sacagawea came with her husband who both were hired for translation duties so her example is not quite on topic. Her example is closer to Teyla‘s as a local taken on to help expeditions.

In my short study of Sacagawea I did find this quote.
                As Clark noted in his journal, "a woman with a party of men is a token of peace.“
                Originally Posted by newton4881

"It's my duty, to hit that booty."

*No offense intended to all the ladies out there.*
                This of course in my opinion being one of the reasons that romance in diplomacy has a bad reputation and some people dislike the idea. Their answer is no romance, mine is to remove the sexist part while using the effective part. In funny too simplistic terms “sleep with the prince or princess and become the Queen or King”. In more practical terms romances can build trust and common bonds between sides as long as care is taken and you avoid exploiting the other.

Comment

Originally posted by newton4881
                  Sometimes that works. But sleeping with the King to become Queen, or at the very least a power behind the throne, works even better, given the patriarchal customs of most nations.

As for "It's my duty, to hit that booty." When an enemy like Five starts making goo-goo eyes at you it is *definitely* your duty to your team and your planet to exploit that opening for all it's worth! Under more neutral or friendly circumstances one might want to go carefully; sex and romance tend to be complicated by strongly held, and seemingly irrational, customs and norms that you infringe at your peril - or your partner's.
                  Last edited by Leah Jenner; 19 February 2005, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X