The Gate Generations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gate Generations

As I understand it, the current story is that the Destiny gates are the 1st Generation (prototypes); the Milky Way/Avalon gates are the 2nd Generation; and the Pegasus gates are the 3rd Generation.

I have something of a problem with this. If the Alterans arrived in the Milky Way Galaxy and established first on Dakara already with the capability to build Astria Porta, then it doesn't really make much sense for them to use conventional space travel to re-establish themselves on Earth in order to build a ship containing "prototype" Stargates without first utilising them for their own interplanetary means.

(I also have a theory about the Giza gate being taken by Ra initially from Dakara, where there were two: a prototype twinned with the Abydos gate, and an upgraded version...).

Instead, I find it far more likely that they arrived in Avalon/Milky Way and first established statehood there using the MW Gates, and then made Terra/Earth their capital planet, or at least a shipbuilding yard where they constructed Destiny. Since the Stargates in the MW need to be built of naquadah to produce enough energy to create a stable wormhole, surely a Stargate built of a different material or considerably less naquadah suggests technological advance, not regression? Plus, Destiny's gates would have to be manufactured in transit using limited resources.

I also question the idea that the Antarctica gate is older than the Giza gate, although only by a few years. My explanation about Dakara's two gates sort of ties up the issue of language (how MW races can be understood due to a language program in the buffer, which didn't exist in the Dakara/Abydos prototypes, and therefore why the Abydos Expedition needed to translate the local tongue), and why the point-of-origin symbol is still the circle-topped lambda (representing instead the mountain in which the superweapon was located).

Thoughts?!
    If there is hope... it lies in the proles.

Originally posted by Pytheas View Post
    I have something of a problem with this. If the Alterans arrived in the Milky Way Galaxy and established first on Dakara already with the capability to build Astria Porta, then it doesn't really make much sense for them to use conventional space travel to re-establish themselves on Earth in order to build a ship containing "prototype" Stargates without first utilising them for their own interplanetary means.
    What if they used Destiny gates in the Milkyway too, but it required several upgrades (like a range increase and DHD's for better gate-to-gate safety) to make them viable for complete-galaxy coverage? hell, what if the seed ships were let loose on the Milkyway first? the hologram in Air only showed a line between galaxies, not what the path in the galaxy was. Destiny could've populated the MW with Destiny gates. Then, with the pavement in place, the Ancients eventually upgraded to the current Milkyway model.

Comment

Well, we know they created a foothold in the MW on Dakara, yet Destiny was built on Earth. Why? It suggests that their empire was already pretty large by the time they launched Destiny (although this kind of depends on the distance between Earth and Dakara - most maps I've seen place it a good distance away though), and they already had the Milky Way Stargate design (I'm choosing to actually consider the opening sequence of AOT here!) before they even discovered the MW.

Plus, I stand by my naquadah-tech argument! Even the Pegasus gates were mostly made of naquadah, suggesting that the Ancients regressed technologically anyway (in which case I also believe there are still Destiny gates scattered throughout Pegasus, an idea I've seen articulated by others in this forum). As far as their production method and material components are concerned, the Destiny gates seem more advanced than the MW ones, in spite of their range (though, of course, they never needed to be, because of the ship's gate). I mean, even the ages of the Alpha and Beta gates were significant enough to suggest it took a long time to build all of the MW-class Stargates.

My theory: the Alterans lands on Dakara, establish a home and begin exploring conventionally whilst Amelius' design was tested using two gates (Dakara/Alpha and Abydos, where they could've been built considering it's very rich with naquadah). The Alterans build an empire situated prominently on Earth, Dakara and Proclarush. Destiny and its sister ships are built carrying cost-effective Stargates, the result of a recent technological advance in the application of naquadah. Much later, they contract a plague and leave the MW; a lot of their research is lost, including Destiny, and go to the Pegasus Galaxy where they seed a new generation of Stargates.

In the MW, the Goa'uld show up and Ra narrowly escapes a lost battle with the Asgard, ending up on Dakara. Here, he takes the "museum piece" prototype Stargate and sends it to Earth, the original one lost, and subjugates the human population. The Ancients later return to the MW and although are mostly hermit-like, use their advanced technology to forge an alliance between the Asgard, Furlings and Nox, re-establishing themselves on Heliopolis. So on and so forth...

Comment

It suggests that their empire was already pretty large by the time they launched Destiny (although this kind of depends on the distance between Earth and Dakara - most maps I've seen place it a good distance away though), and they already had the Milky Way Stargate design (I'm choosing to actually consider the opening sequence of AOT here!) before they even discovered the MW.
        Having a design concept is another thing entirely from having a working design - if they weren't, we would already have working warp drives. After all, we have the solutions to General Relativity that produce a warp drive, so "all that's left" is implementing that concept.

Even the Pegasus gates were mostly made of naquadah, suggesting that the Ancients regressed technologically anyway (in which case I also believe there are still Destiny gates scattered throughout Pegasus, an idea I've seen articulated by others in this forum).
        How does the Pegasus 'Gates being made of naquadah suggest a technological regression? Every Stargate that we have seen that was not made of naquadah was fragile and has suffered from a range limit. Conversely, naquadah-based Stargates are nearly indestructible and, with sufficient power, have effectively unlimited range.

As far as their production method and material components are concerned, the Destiny gates seem more advanced than the MW ones, in spite of their range (though, of course, they never needed to be, because of the ship's gate).
        Actually, a part of me suspects that the range limit of the planet-side Stargates is due to the materials used - specifically, that they lose superconductivity above a certain current density and thus stop being a Stargate if they try to dial too far away or to receive a wormhole from too far away. If the range limit were based on power or something similar, then the Destiny's Stargate should still be capable of reaching any Stargate in a galaxy (after all, with enough power, it can reach Earth). Even if there were safeguards to keep Destiny's Stargate from dialing a Stargate that could not dial back, the safeguards on these 'Gates seem rather easy to override (as in "Air, Part 3") and there have been situations when they probably would have overridden the range limit if they could (for example, sending a message in "Lost").

I mean, even the ages of the Alpha and Beta gates were significant enough to suggest it took a long time to build all of the MW-class Stargates.
        How so? All that a ~50 million-year-old Stargate suggests is that the Ancients had the ability to build those sorts of Stargates ~50 million years ago. Remember that they measured the age of the Antarctica Stargate by the power supply in the DHD: for all we know, all the MW-style Stargates were produced the same day and the only difference between the Antarctica Stargate and all the others is that Earth was behind on its DHD maintenence.

Even if we assume that the age of the DHD is a good indication of the age of the Stargate, differences in age may suggest that the particular design was hard to manufacture when first developed but not overally. My conjecture is that Destiny's Stargate predates the Ancients ability to produce the form of naquadah used in Stargates and that the "steam" after Destiny's Stargate shuts down is from the cooling system to keep the more primitive superconductor running. When the Ancients first developed the ability to produce "Stargate-grade naquadah," the process may have been expensive, resulting in Stargates being a relatively rare commodity when first introduced. As their ability to produce the material increased, seeding Stargates became "cheaper" and thus Stargates became more common.

My theory
        Alternative: The Ancients arrive in the Milky Way and land on Dakara. At this point, Stargates are little more than a hypothetical possibility, like the flying machines and tanks designed by Leonardo da Vinci or the Alcubierre metric of today. Over the following thousands or millions of years, the Ancients spread over the galaxy.

At the height of their empire, roughly 60 million years ago (see here), the Ancients make two discoveries within a relatively short period of time: a method for building Stargates and the pattern in the CMB. The Destiny Mission was put together and launched from Earth. Perhaps Earth had become an important world for whatever reason (a major shipyard? the site of a prestigious university? the capital?).

Over the following 10 million years, the Ancients' empire began to decline in many ways, but still continued to develop technologically. Roughly 50 million years ago, the Ancients discovered a crystal state of naquadah that was far more stable than the state used in reactors and that also served as a superconductor. With this discovery, they were able to build durable, long-range Stargates and started to assemble a network over the Milky Way. Either Earth was an important world at this time, and therefore received one of the first naquadah-based Stargates, or Earth was already such a backwater that its DHD's power supply never needed to be replaced.

More time passes and the Ancients' empire continues to decline. 5-10 million years ago, a plague starts to sweep across their empire, devastating all but a few backwater worlds too rarely visited to have contracted the plague. One such backwater world is populated by a single cityship: Terra Atlantus. The cityship, perhaps with some refugees who survived the plague, flees to nearby galaxy to start anew.

Although most of Atlantis's citizens are not scientists, they do have enough information on hand to reconstruct much of their old technology. Nevertheless, most of their records have been lost over the millions of years, leaving Destiny as little more than a 'Gate address in a database.

...Dang! I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to turn the Science and Tech Forum into Quadhelix's Story Corner.
        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
          ...Dang! I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to turn the Science and Tech Forum into Quadhelix's Story Corner.
          Why? i like it.

But yes, given the vast quality increase of MW gates over Destiny gates, it's safe to say Destiny's both use inferior technology and materials.

It's more than likely that the Destiny model was used in the milkyway but eventually the ancients cracked the technological difficulties with naquahdah to make the MW type and then replaced all Destiny gates in the milkyway (and when they got there, pegasus).

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            It's more than likely that the Destiny model was used in the milkyway but eventually the ancients cracked the technological difficulties with naquahdah to make the MW type and then replaced all Destiny gates in the milkyway (and when they got there, pegasus).
            Now that I think of it, the fact Destiny's Stargate can reach Earth means that you could feasibly have a galaxy-wide network of Destiny-era Stargates, provided that they had sufficient support infrastructure. After all, even if the equipment needed to run Destiny's Stargate takes up the entirety of the room below the 'Gateroom, you could just stick all that in a building if you are building a network.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

I'm mostly trying to reconcile the story against the capability of a device to open a wormhole: my understanding of both Stargate: SG1 and Stargate: Atlantis was that the reason the gates were almost entirely built of naqaudah was to be able to conduct enough energy to open a stable wormhole. Its durability was just a happy additional benefit. Then SGU comes along and introduces a gate not made of naquadah - even though its range is limited compared to the MW and the Pegasus gates, establishing an event like a wormhole would still require a huge amount of energy that only a superconductive material could channel. Besides, the Destiny gates wouldn't need to have a huge range due to the presence of the ship - whose gate could establish intergalactic wormholes. Even if there was more equipment underneath the ship's gate room, I can't see how that equipment would have any bearing on the actual gate's ability to generate a wormhole, considering part of its job is to contain the event horizon. Two things seem to be important in the gate's functionality: energy and conductivity, considering we can assume that Stargate Command utilises only a nuclear reactor at best (I know how that sounds), which apparently science tells us would not be nearly enough to create a wormhole.

The current canon would mean, in my view, that there must be another material somewhere out there that - although more brittle - is still just as or only slightly less superconductive than naquadah, in which case, it needs to be discovered! Quick! Admittedly, the Destiny gates may only be made of a small amount of naquadah (limited resources on the seed ships), hence explaining their limited range.

But even that seems to suggest that destroying the casing would not necessarily completely render the device unusable?! Ugh.

Hey, don't write off Quadhelix's Story Corner just yet. It killed this thread, and that's something.

Comment

It killed this thread, and that's something.
                Killing the thread may be something, but it's worse than nothing.

I'm mostly trying to reconcile the story against the capability of a device to open a wormhole: my understanding of both Stargate: SG1 and Stargate: Atlantis was that the reason the gates were almost entirely built of naqaudah was to be able to conduct enough energy to open a stable wormhole. Its durability was just a happy additional benefit.
                Naquadah isn't just a superconductor - it's a superconductor at incredibly high temperatures (thousands of degrees, if "Beachhead" is anything to go by: the Stargate was still functional even though it was glowing red hot) and at absurdly high current densities (most superconductors stop being superconductors if the current through them is high enough).

Even if there was more equipment underneath the ship's gate room, I can't see how that equipment would have any bearing on the actual gate's ability to generate a wormhole, considering part of its job is to contain the event horizon.
                I was thinking refrigeration equipment: most superconductors are just ordinary conductors until you cool them to about -170 degrees Celsius. The superconductor used in Destiny's Stargate may be able to handle arbitrarily high current densities like naquadah can, but that does not necessarily mean that it remains a superconductor at room temperature.

If the Destiny's Stargate could only operate at super-low temperatures, that would handily explain the steam blasts after it shuts down (the cooling system venting).

Then SGU comes along and introduces a gate not made of naquadah - even though its range is limited compared to the MW and the Pegasus gates, establishing an event like a wormhole would still require a huge amount of energy that only a superconductive material could channel.
                Right. However, most superconductors only have that property below a certain current density: run too strong of a current through them and they become normal conductors again. Also, in Stargate, the amount of energy needed for a wormhole is roughly dependent on the distance involved - dialing the Asgard's galaxy in "The Fifth Race" took roughly ten times as much power as a normal wormhole; similarly, Milky Way and Pegasus cannot dial each other without a ZPM "supernova in a bottle."

My conjecture, then, is that the superconductor used in the planetary Destiny Mission Stargates cannot handle the currents associated with wormholes between Stargates more than a few hundred light-years apart.

The current canon would mean, in my view, that there must be another material somewhere out there that - although more brittle - is still just as or only slightly less superconductive than naquadah, in which case, it needs to be discovered!
                If my conjectures are "correct" (whatever that means with a fictional show), then the planetary Stargates are made from a different superconductor than Destiny's, both of which are drastically inferior to naquadah. The superconductor used in the planetary Stargates cannot really handle the high current densities involved in running a Stargate, while the superconductor used on Destiny's Stargate has to be kept extremely cold in order to work.

Comment

Of course it isn't my show, but I imagined that in order for the seed ships to have thousands of gates to seed out galaxies over a million plus years, they must be manufacturing them some how. My super-analytic brain decided it was picking up hydrogen and helium atoms during re-charge and using them to make whatever it was that the seed ship gates were made of. I thought of the salesh tribe's trinium when i saw the gate in sgu blasted apart. I also saw wires as I recall, and they introduced the palladium material for the pods so maybe it was a synthetic trinium/naquadah alloy and the wires had trace amounts of synthetic naquadria.

Comment

Destiny's gate was pretty powerful, but it seemed a bit smaller than the one on icarus. Its possible that they were both made of something different, and the gates the seed ships were dropping were larger than destiny's too it seemed, so there is more to make you wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyadamson View Post
                      My super-analytic brain decided it was picking up hydrogen and helium atoms during re-charge and using them to make whatever it was that the seed ship gates were made of.
                      What about things like silicon? Taking raw materials from a star is a cool idea but unworkable. It's more likely that the ships were being supplied materials from asteroid fields / belts etc.

As for the gate, the seed ships were sent out before destiny. I think it's fair to say that destiny was following up on their progress but just because destiny was launched from earth, it doesn't mean that the seed ships were OR that they were even launched from the Milky Way.

Next there is the logistical side of the gate distribution network. It seems that the seed ships would need a supply chain and also a seed ship manufacturing ship. You see just like a spiders web, the further you go from the middle, the larger the area you need to cover.

Now look at this:

The larger the area you need to cover, the longer it takes to do what you're doing. The longer it takes, the slower progress is. Now we know the ancients were 1) determined and 2) liked progress. Therefore we must assume that after seeding the first glaxy with gates, there were also other ships sent out to build new seed ships in order to continue covering the ever expanding area that would grow the further away they went.

Not only would these ships build new seed ships to cover the ever expanding universe that they are seeding, they would also need to build new factory ships too in order for the distribution of seed ships to continue. Therefore it would make sense that (lets say for example) between every 10-20 galaxies, there must be one of these factory ships sitting around that could build a new seed ship to order. Why? Well presumably the ancients knew that over time some gates would be lost, damaged, buried etc. They're already distributing them autonomously so why would they manually replace the odd gate here and there if they can get seed ships to replace them automatically on a 'patrol'? - The odds are they wouldn't. They would simply setup a maintenance patrol with the seed ships that would go and replace lost or damaged gates.

This brings me to my final point about the destiny gates being an earlier generation. The seed ships almost certainly need materials to build their gates. There are probably armies of asteroid mining bots out there at work autonomously gathering the appropriate materials and ferrying them back to the seed ships. Now to build gates, each ship would need computerised instructions and these could no doubt be updated via a subspace link but it would probably be a design passed from one factory ship to the next in order to distribute the latest designs to the seed ships in their range.

Now we know that other aliens out there exist who don't like being pestered or interfered with so we can probably assume that a few seed ships have been targetted and destroyed here and there and probably some factory ships along the way too in order to stop more seed ships coming. This could in essence break the communication line to the seed ships that are serving destinys region of space and explain why they are still distributing earlier gates - because the communication line was broken and they were not updated with the later gate designs.

I'd like to think that the producers were going to introduce us to this distribution network at some point but I guess we'll never know now

Comment

[QUOTE=Energizer_Vs_ZPM;13843901]What about things like silicon? Taking raw materials from a star is a cool idea but unworkable. It's more likely that the ships were being supplied materials from asteroid fields / belts etc.
                        This brings me to my final point about the destiny gates being an earlier generation. The seed ships almost certainly need materials to build their gates. There are probably armies of asteroid mining bots out there at work autonomously gathering the appropriate materials and ferrying them back to the seed ships. Now to build gates, each ship would need computerised instructions and these could no doubt be updated via a subspace link but it would probably be a design passed from one factory ship to the next in order to distribute the latest designs to the seed ships in their range.

Interesting idea however all the gates we saw were of the same design, and destiny had a range of only a few gates at once, with the capability of reaching specified gates at further distances. Also, the spider web theory is sound, except that rush explained that the seed ships had "found the needles int the haystack" and that they wouldnt put a gate on every planet. A corridor is how it is explained in show. plus, the episode with the shuttle crash had a gate that was buried but not broken, meaning it would have been raised had there been a patrol ship as you suggest. Also, the crew of the destiny went 2000 years back in time, and the planet they landed on was primordial as far as weather. (had oxygen and plant life but crazy weather) and in the 2000 years they were in the galaxy, saw no other ships or new gates in there reigon.

also, the blue aliens were after destiny, and if they could get plans from one of the many many other ships you suggest, they would have had a way onto destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                          What about things like silicon? Taking raw materials from a star is a cool idea but unworkable.
                          If the Destiny can construct new Kinos and 'Gate remotes, it likely gets the raw materials to do so during recharging sessions. Lighter elements, such has hydrogen and helium, can be used to synthesize heavier ones.

Next there is the logistical side of the gate distribution network. It seems that the seed ships would need a supply chain and also a seed ship manufacturing ship. You see just like a spiders web, the further you go from the middle, the larger the area you need to cover.
                          Except that the Seed Ships weren't trying to create a spider-web type pattern - they were specifically sent ahead of Destiny to plant Stargates on planets along Destiny's path. If Destiny isn't planning on passing within range of a planet, the Seed Ships don't seed it, even if it's within the same galaxy.

The larger the area you need to cover, the longer it takes to do what you're doing. The longer it takes, the slower progress is. Now we know the ancients were 1) determined and 2) liked progress. Therefore we must assume that after seeding the first glaxy with gates, there were also other ships sent out to build new seed ships in order to continue covering the ever expanding area that would grow the further away they went.
                          The entire reason that the Ancients were in the Milky Way in the first place was because they'd been drive from their home off by the Ori. I would imagine that the last thing that the Ancients would want to do is send out humongous fleets of ships to dump their calling cards all over the territory of any potentially hostile power that the Seed Ships might come across. Hence the narrow corridors of Stargates in each galaxy and the lack of developed civilizations along Destiny's path.

Not only would these ships build new seed ships to cover the ever expanding universe that they are seeding, they would also need to build new factory ships too in order for the distribution of seed ships to continue. Therefore it would make sense that (lets say for example) between every 10-20 galaxies, there must be one of these factory ships sitting around that could build a new seed ship to order. Why? Well presumably the ancients knew that over time some gates would be lost, damaged, buried etc. They're already distributing them autonomously so why would they manually replace the odd gate here and there if they can get seed ships to replace them automatically on a 'patrol'? - The odds are they wouldn't. They would simply setup a maintenance patrol with the seed ships that would go and replace lost or damaged gates.
                          All of this is based off the false premise that the seeded Stargates had any other purpose than supporting Destiny.

Comment

What about things like silicon? Taking raw materials from a star is a cool idea but unworkable. It's more likely that the ships were being supplied materials from asteroid fields / belts etc.
                            Interesting idea however all the gates we saw were of the same design, and destiny had a range of only a few gates at once, with the capability of reaching specified gates at further distances.
                            Yes they were of the same design. Lets say the communication link was broken half way between destiny and earth, any factory and seed ships beyond that point (in that direction) would continue to build the older gates and distribute them.

Also, the spider web theory is sound, except that rush explained that the seed ships had "found the needles int the haystack" and that they wouldnt put a gate on every planet. A corridor is how it is explained in show.
                            Yes but that doesn't mean that seed ships were dispatched from earth (or where ever) in a straight line does it. Earth is a round globe. You have directions away from it above, below, in front, behind, diagonally etc. No doubt seed ships were sent to cover galaxies in all directions from earth and then in each galaxy picking out the planets that they were interested in.

plus, the episode with the shuttle crash had a gate that was buried but not broken, meaning it would have been raised had there been a patrol ship as you suggest.
                            Yes but remember the seed ship that Telford was on? Not doing anything because the Ursini had boarded it and taken over however what was it even doing there so far behind the other seed ships? - It should have been thousands if not millions of light years ahead of destiny planting gates yet it wasn't yet there were still more gates ahead of it. Also there is nothing to say that a seed ship would instantly replace a gate, it might take it years to get back to that region of space.

Also, the crew of the destiny went 2000 years back in time, and the planet they landed on was primordial as far as weather. (had oxygen and plant life but crazy weather) and in the 2000 years they were in the galaxy, saw no other ships or new gates in there reigon.
                            Just because they saw no new gates doesn't mean that there were new planets to put gates on. Planets take millions of years to form / become habitable so 2000 years isn't really enough to expect new gates to be formed. Besides you're making an assumption there that they saw no other new ships or gates - this isn't actually stated in the show that I remember (and yes granted neither is this distribution network but it does make sense).

also, the blue aliens were after destiny, and if they could get plans from one of the many many other ships you suggest, they would have had a way onto destiny.
                            I never said the plans for destiny would be stored on the factory ships, just the plans for the seed ships and the factory ships. Yes the blue aliens were after destiny but for all we know they may have had other reasons such as trying to work out why a ship thats clearly millions of years old, battered, has no life onboard (yet clearly designed to carry life) is flying from one solar system to another where there are star gates, diving into stars, and then moving on completely autonomously without even transmitting a signal back home. Maybe the blue aliens were actually monitoring destiny for a reason and thought that the icarus personnel were trespassing? - who knows. Either way that doesn't really matter as I was talking about the supply network not the destiny.

Comment

If the Destiny can construct new Kinos and 'Gate remotes, it likely gets the raw materials to do so during recharging sessions. Lighter elements, such has hydrogen and helium, can be used to synthesize heavier ones.
                              I know destiny seemed to have a large number of kinos but was it ever made clear that its manufacturing them to demand? - I don't recall this but correct me if I am wrong.

Except that the Seed Ships weren't trying to create a spider-web type pattern - they were specifically sent ahead of Destiny to plant Stargates on planets along Destiny's path.

Yes / No. We know they are ahead of destiny yes but we also know that the seed ships were not only planting gates but also looking for something. If the ancients already knew what direction to send destiny in then why even bother using seed ships and planting gates? Again, as above, earth doesn't have a backwards and forwards, it has a top, bottom, left, right.. it's a big 360 globe with all sorts of directions for a space craft to go off in. We have galaxies above and below us as well as to the side of us. Therefore it would make sense that seed ships (and factory ships) were send off in all directions and SOME of them then managed to plot a path / send back data that destiny deemed valuable enough to investigate.

If Destiny isn't planning on passing within range of a planet, the Seed Ships don't seed it, even if it's within the same galaxy.
                              But destiny wasn't planning it's route. This was plotted by the seed ships which did all the leg work in each galaxy. Destiny as simply following up on those that found what it was looking for.

The entire reason that the Ancients were in the Milky Way in the first place was because they'd been drive from their home off by the Ori. I would imagine that the last thing that the Ancients would want to do is send out humongous fleets of ships to dump their calling cards all over the territory of any potentially hostile power that the Seed Ships might come across.
                              Yes but don't forget it was millions of years ago that they started this and the universe was younger and thus there may have been less threat from other races. Even if there was, any race that came into contact with ancient ships and technology would realise that a race that could achieve those goals is a formiddable enemy not to be messed with.

Hence the narrow corridors of Stargates in each galaxy and the lack of developed civilizations along Destiny's path.
                              The narrow corridor of gates that destiny was aware of. There may be others that are out there but simply of no interest to destiny and thus not displayed.

All of this is based off the false premise that the seeded Stargates had any other purpose than supporting Destiny.
                              IT's not a false premise. It's an idea. You seem to think that its wrong to think the seed ships had any purpose other than supporting destiny - hang on a minute, they were seeding stargates and that wasn't really what destinys mission was about. Thats two purposes the seed ships have already.

Comment

Working...
                              X