Repair Drones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair Drones

We know that Destiny possessed repair drone, but what I'm wondering is where it gets the material to actually make repairs to hull breaches, or does it thin and stretch hull material over the breach. What do you guys think?

They never explored it so can't say, but E=mc^2 (plus momentum stuff). They could possibly say that energy taken in from suns could be converted to mass, or matter and make those materials.

Comment

I figured there were probably some supplies aboard, maybe they dismantled crates or reused damaged areas - say if a section is mostly open to space then remove bit and pieces to use elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
        They never explored it so can't say, but E=mc^2 (plus momentum stuff). They could possibly say that energy taken in from suns could be converted to mass, or matter and make those materials.
        Well if you only plan to make a few atoms, you could.

It's likely they took some plating elsewhere off the ship.

Comment

There were loads of crates when they found the robot. Maybe the material was in them?

Comment

I agree. They had materials in those crates..

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              It's likely they took some plating elsewhere off the ship.
              I agree with this. Destiny is able to sacrifice parts of itself and the ancients would have been smart enough to know this when building the ship. They also would have built in redundancy for things like thrusters, communications etc. I would think it logical that the ship has more than enough hull plating that could be stripped layer by layer for materials.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                I agree with this. Destiny is able to sacrifice parts of itself and the ancients would have been smart enough to know this when building the ship. They also would have built in redundancy for things like thrusters, communications etc. I would think it logical that the ship has more than enough hull plating that could be stripped layer by layer for materials.
                Although it's hard to decipher for how long Destiny was intended to run, the fact that it has been going for at least 10 million years shows it's designed to last.

In order to design things to last, you can basically do 2 things: Overdesign and Redundancy. If i look at Destiny, it has plenty of both. Stuff is much tougher than it needs to be and there's a lot more stuff than it needs.

So yea it's unquestionable to me that there's plenty of stuff to salvage and cannibalize.

Comment

Plus who's to say when the ship "refuels" in a sun, some of that matter is not picked up ad converted into plating stored elsewhere, much like the seed ships do.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Plus who's to say when the ship "refuels" in a sun, some of that matter is not picked up ad converted into plating stored elsewhere, much like the seed ships do.
                    Given the insane amount of energy you need to turn that matter (which is 99% hydrogen) into useful material, i doubt it.

However, i think the Seedships simply mine asteroids. energetically that's so much more favorable.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Careful there, we've never seen that this is the case with the seed ships.

You should also remember that the seed ships clearly have some sort of docking platform at the front which may well be for gate plantation aswell as receiving materials mined from asteroids.

Don't forget if the ships were harvesting materials from stars destiny wouldn't have holes all over the place that the shield is protecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Energizer_Vs_ZPM View Post
                        Careful there, we've never seen that this is the case with the seed ships.
                        Not only have we never seen it, it has apparently been explicitly denied:
                        AaronNiGHTS writes: “Do these seeder ships fly into Stars and almost magically construct Stargates out of solar power?”

Answer: It’s safe to assume that they replenish their capacitors in much the same that Destiny does. As for how it constructs Stargates – we’ll have to wait and find out, but it certainly would make sense that the ships possess the capability to source material from the planets it passes.
                        "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                        - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                        - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                        - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Simple : energy-matter conversion aka. replicators (as in, matter replicators like in Star Trek )

Comment

I think logic would dictate that if a repair robot was stowed on board, then so would a supply of raw materials to conduct repairs.

Alternatively, since Naquadah is apparently abundant throughout the universe (and assuming that the hull is at least partially composed of Naquadah), there's a reasonable chance that it could be harvested from a nearby planet when Destiny drops out of FTL and used by the repair robot to conduct repairs.

I suppose TPTB could go any route with that.

Comment

The Asgard item creator used by O'niell to create the anti-replicator weapon seemed perfectly capable of creating matter out of energy.

The Ancients being significantly more advanced even Destiny era than the Asgard it doesn't seem too far of a stretch to assume that Destiny is able to produce spare parts in much the same way.

Comment

Working...
                              X