Stargate Program Artificial Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Program Artificial Island

I was considering the idea of an international stargate command facility built in the middle of the Pacific ocean. It would be constructed using nanites, and imported material from offworld to reduce environmental impacts. It would be large enough to support a self-sufficient city of half a million to three to four million, a space-elevator, ground docking facilities for deadalus, and prometheas class vessels, several f-302 hangers , defensive weapon batteries, various production facilities to be used in support of the gate program, an international airport, and a bay large enough to relocate Atlantis to.

The basic idea of such an island would be an entirely self sufficient location to support, and run the stargate program from; the island itself serving as a location away from any single nation's territory, while serving as a location to test technology before its release to the general public.

Would there be any problems with this idea? Would it adversely effect the environment, and if so would there be a way to prevent it? Is there anyway said idea could be improved?
    Last edited by acegunner; 21 May 2013, 07:45 AM.

I like the idea, but the first thing that comes to mind is weather. Would you be using a shield for the Island? Something like they used on Atlantis to protect the city from the weather?

Comment

I was thinking of using the less energy intensive destiny based sheild for use in extreme weather, with a multisection Asgard sheild, and Atlantis based sheild for use during combat. Using a sheild requiring a zpm level powersource for even a small section of the island just to to repel tsunami waves is a bit extreme.
      Other than that, extensive sustainable drainage systems, lightning rods, heavily reinforced buildings designed to redirect, and dispel high speed winds and withstand extreme earthquakes would do. That way energy is conserved in the long run, as the island will be capable of withstanding much more punishment without the need for further energy expenditure. Furthering this would be the fact that the the island would have a ground based power recieving rectenna platform for space based solar power, extensive solar smart paint on the buildings, and various other renewable power production methods, allowing a naquada superconductor system to store the energy for future use to power said sheild.

Would this be extreme overkill? Would it have an adverse effect on the enviroment?

The construction method mentioned would be using nanites to create a solid rock island complete with continental shelf, geothermal "vent" for geothermal power production, a small mountain system around the end of the island to generate periodic rainfall, and serve as a deterent to hurricanes, and an artificial " coral reef" combined with a deployable " nanowall" for further protection from tsunamies and a system of micro barrier islands further out for added protection.

The mountain system, reaching to near and sometimes even above mount Everest height made out of mostly granite and reinforced with trinium/steel alloy "veins" would serve the combined duty of the site of a new sgc, the site of an orbital elevator, and as a defensive wall of sorts. The mountains would ring the entire islands perimeter, meeting at a minimum of three hundred feet with a tunnel bay entrance that could be closed off using trnium alloy blastdoors. A second entrance would be a land based tunnel between the outer harbor town and the primary city, also with a set of blastdoors that could close it off in case of attack. The harbor tunnel would be wide enough to allow multiple air craft carriers through easily, or even a deadalus class vessel, while the land tunnel will be wide enough to allow a double four lane road through it.
      Last edited by acegunner; 22 May 2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

While your intentions are good, i think the idea has numerous heavy flaws.

First off is that the pacific ocean is -to my knowledge- a rather active area when it comes to vulcanoes and earthquakes. This significantly raises the costs and requirements of a defense system.

Second is that you're essentially producing a really large island with extensive geological features that are... extraordinarily expensive to produce. Just the trinium and the nanotech development will go in the many billions of dollars.

The third problem is that you build with nanites. Aside from the fact that the nanites will probably not be contained to one place due to extensive currents and winds, you're essentially building an island molecule by molecule. How on earth you'll program, monitor and achieve this in any lifetime is not known to me.

The fourth problem is the building of a space elevator. I certainly wouldn't build an SGC in it's anchorage point given it's track record. But we don't NEED a space elevator in the first place. Rings and asgard beaming technology are so superior to an elevator that there's no contest. of course, i would specifically design some kind of freight Ring that's 20m or so in diameter for large hauls. But any real big construction work is simply beamed to space. or preferably, made from materials mined in space.

The fifth problem is that you plan to shield the island with an energy shield. Aside from the fact that you're using an island of rather epic proportions, I would reserve such costly high-tech machinery for military situations. Now, the actual parts of the island you'll wanna shield are only a fraction of what the entire island is like. This SGC structure, some city (no clue what you need more than a million people for), a space tether anchorage, various spaceship sites...

In general, i would ask the question: WHY?

I would heavily prefer the SGC to be in space. Aside from such goodies as nuking it without nasty fallout, venting all space, and being able to toss it into the sun or get it out of the system by hyperspace, it in general keeps threats far away.

Comment

I like the idea of a multinational site but the suggested size isn't really required.

if an island was required one could be used that doesn't need to be constructed, there is a moon base that could be used for defense and research. Earth's growing fleet of ships could be maintained at off world sites instead of docking on the suggested island and Atlantis is/ or will be back in the PG.

sigpic

Comment

Assuming Atlantis never left Earth.... it is a floating city (IE and island) with massive defenses that is controlled by the IOA.... so why would you build another one...

Comment

firstly, i dont think we need an island of a million people, but staying with your idea...

im no expert on weather and stuff, but from what i understand, countries close to the equator have little to no extreme atmospheric variations.. almost no tsunamis, hurricanes, tidal waves, earthquakes or anything like that... i live Trinidad & Tobago

trying to build an entire 'solid rock' island is a bit much dont u think?? how about we just have something that just sits on the surface like atlantis... this may also allow mobility if the location is compromised
              and using ninates may not be the best idea.. how about Memory Alloy. the desired design is established with this material. the beauty about this alloy is that it can then be reconfigured to any shape (for transport in this situation) then when heated to the proper temperature, will reshape itself back to the first design. so it can be built on land and just be deployed to your location easily.

that giant wall around the perimeter kinda feels like a prison!! what was its purpose again?? if its an international station i dont think any single nation would attack it. they would either be an ally or fear the retaliation of our joint forces.
              i would assume the station would be able to detect air and sea crafts well in advance to intercept them. it would also be a good idea to have a restricted air and sea space.. any craft violating such borders would be engaged with extreme prejudice.
              if a surgical attack team decides to infiltrate, i dont think a wall would stop them.
              in terms of an orbital attack i dont think it would really offer any significant protection
              all in all, i think the big wall is a waste...

the renewable energy idea is a big plus

i like the island idea.. i'll post again after i think more on it
              Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed

sigpic

Comment

So a heavily reinforced island made of memory alloy as the base, with replacable heavy armour panels made out cheap replacable materials would work best as the base of the island?
                If it is made out of artificial materials, this would also reduce the number of possible entry points. Adding sam batteries, em missile launchers ( using the railgun tech to launch antiship missiles into space etc. ) ciws railguns, and turreted apb cannons for defensive armaments, with a number of dorsal weapon mounts capable of being fired underwater for good measure. A docking system similar to what atlantis used on assuras, multiple ship drydocks/ shipyards, hanger bays, topside carrier like landing facilities, and underside submarine drydocks should work for a variety of methods of resupplying both the station and other vessels.

For shielding, multiple sets of overlapping asgard energy shields, with multiple independant sections of coverage and multiple generators for each section should cover energy shielding. A cloaking device based on puddle jumpers or the one daniel jackson designed should also work to hide out when combined with conventional stealth technology to reduce power consumption.

For power an earth built version of atlantis' mobile geothermal drilling platform, solar panels, fusion reactors ( they have superconductors, and its on the ocean plenty of fuel..), tidal powerplants, wind turbines etc. should cover most of the bases power needs with minimal outside resources. Large naquada reactors, superconductor power storage systems, asgard power reactors, and maybe a working version of those subspace capacitors should work if under heavy attack, or dialing an intergalactic planet, while using a rebuilt version of the intergalactic space bridge conserve power whenever possible. Utilizing poezoelectric convertors in the floors and other methods of recapturing lost energy wherever possible should further reduce energy consumption.

Automated vertical farms minus the the tower( built into the structure on multiple levels), and other hydroponics facilities designed to feed a very large contingent of people should also reduce the need for outside resources, as would metalshops, ammunition production factories, and other support infrastructure needed to fulfill its mission would also be included, so as to reduce the need for large fleets, or numerous visits to replenish it.

A dedicated transporter ring network connecting to a lunar research site, allowing secure storage of artifacts found offworld. By utilizing the technology to hide a and secure transporter rings utilized by merlin when he made that hidden stashed of ancient technology should make it secure. Adding transporter beam bankers, and an onboard transporter beam array configured to utilize someform of encrytion code combined with specified areas where they can transport materials to inside the base, with everything else completely blocked should further secure the base, while helping move supplies from orbit, and potentially assisting in the construction and repair of vessels.

Heavy interior blastdoors, an iris and gateshield, airlocks between various sections, and negative airpressure, radiation and biocontaminent filtering should further securethe base. As part of the sensor package, with all forms of normal terestrial sensors, combined with internal lifesign scanners, asgard sensor arrays, ancient ftl sensors, and asgard ftl sensors should also help secure the base while enabling it to detect all forms of external attack.

The gatereroom and gateroom control room would not be right next to each other, and the gateroom would have a system to remove the air, as well as remote operated turrets, and externally operated blastdoors. Transporter beam jammers, and sensors designed to make invisible phased out creatures, and things unphased, would be used in conjunction with a dedicated antireplicator/ kull warrior disruptors to completely secure the gate room from all possible threats. With the further option of filling the gateroom with seawater to upto near crushdepth pressure, or with various gasses or even using speakers combined with the lights to induce a flashbang like effect, and even powerful microwave emitter capable of creating a flamethrower like effect, or simply repelling people aware from the blast doors should give a wide variety of defensive options whatever the threat may be.

Dedicated housing facilties for stargate teams and personell, as well as small scale research facilities, as close to a full scale hospital as possible ( let's face it, stargate personel seem to have a habit of getting either greatly injured, or close to dieing ), and training facilties for new personel. A qaurantine zone between stargate operations and the rest of the base would prevent unnecessary risks to the base. If one includes accomadations for diplomatic envoys, and full scale support and command staff the base would be as near as possible to a fully independant installation as possible.

Accomadations for hooking up sublight propulsion systems in case of an emergency, and even a system to submerge the base would further make it harder to destroy or takeover, as it would be somewhat to highly mobile, unlike the current sgc which is a sitting duck for even people on earth to launch an attack.

Any further ideas on this setup, improvement or the idea in general?
                Last edited by acegunner; 30 December 2013, 01:36 PM. Reason: to make it easier to read.

Comment

good job Acegunner. i like it.
                  Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed

sigpic

Comment

What is the point of such an island? A wraith cruiser or hatak airdropping on it will destroy it With ease, and a naquahdriah nuke will easily kill all life on earth making the island pointless. Such money is better invested in the space forces.

Comment

If you misread the shipyard// drydock par I am sorry fo not being clearer. It would be able to resupply, construct, and repair space capable vessels. The sublight engines mentioned could make it space capable itself, but only if modefied afterwards. With the help of 304s towing it, it could be moved to other star systems if needed. With a basic design, offplanet bases could be contructed on earth and transferred to off-the grid worlds. Each could be used to construct ships, could be modefied with antiship weapons ( in place of sublight engine modules ), and therefore be used as orbital bases as well as planetside bases. It can be mobile planetside, but does not have to be. The shields themselves, in addition to cloaking it ( you cannot hit what you cannot see, unless you plan on bombarding the entire planetary surface ), would make it difficult for hataks, or even 304s to destroy it. It would also free up atlantis to be returned to the pegasus galaxey. 304s cannot be everywhere at once, and planetside sgc that can be moved from a compromised position, would be highly useful. Building off world bases that can be moved from planet to planet, each capable of supporting fleet expansion would be useful.

Area 51, where the 304s and 302s were built and developed was destroyed. The pentagon was attacked and nearly destroyed by the lucian alliance. A mobile site would be harder to hit. Combined with the new fleet production cabilites would restore earths capbility to expand its fleet. As mentioned in the post, it would also be part of a larger network of facilities connected by secure transporter rings. Other sites in the system include an expanded moonbase, and potentially similar, but smaller mobile planetary defense platforms both on the surfacde and in orbit. Eventually, with further and further expansion, with the potential to make them fully automated arsenel ships for planetary defense, combined with naquadria nuclear missiles launched from modefied triton submarines ( or newly constructed ones), could help better defend earth. With each base constructed in a similar manner, along similar design principles, a large network of interconnected facilities with extensive internal, and external defenses, each capable of building new ships, and resupplying them could make for both rapid fleet expansion, and setup the basis for turning earth into a fortress world. Albiet one not entirely dedicated to military purposes. It would also make it more self sutaining, requiring few outside resources. Supplies could even be taken from off planet via stargate.

Each would serve as the infrastructure to resupply, and expand earths ever growing fleet. They could even be modefied with the removal of stargate facilities to a full scale mobile military command base due to the modular architecture. You need the infrastructure to build the fleet and then to support it, unless you plan on moving everybody to space.

Comment

So in essence you are talking about earth building its own version of Atlantis.
                        sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
                          So in essence you are talking about earth building its own version of Atlantis.
                          No he's talking about wasting trillions of dollars on nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            No he's talking about wasting trillions of dollars on nothing.
                            haha... so this is the thread about the nanite island(you can employ people who made dubai islands rather)..

Yes it looks all cool and nerdy to collect such things all in one place but it is highly unpractical. You don't put all your eggs in one basket. Bases need to be in international territory but all over the world so that they can cover earth properly in case of an attack. Besides there is no reason to shift stargate command and atlantis to one location. Maybe terraform another planet in the system and locate the bases over there so that no risk can come to earth when "experimenting". But our experiments are mostly so devastating that they can destroy solar systems so off world bases are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by destiny khan View Post
                              haha... so this is the thread about the nanite island(you can employ people who made dubai islands rather)..
                              Yea. I am still contemplating whether i should seriously reply or not. I don't think i can find a single line that actually makes sense.

But our experiments are mostly so devastating that they can destroy solar systems so off world bases are the best.
                              The great irony of the Stargate is that it makes it cheaper to go to another planet than to set up a second base on the same planet.

I personally do not understand why the SGC is even on Earth. If i were Chief Engineer advising to the IOA i would scream bloody murder about the SGC AND Area 51. The absurd risks in Stargate just pile up and pile up and it's down to sheer stupid luck that we're still around to tell. Moving the SGC offworld would be priority no.1

Comment

Working...
                              X