Is this a paradox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a paradox?

In "Asylum of the Daleks". The doctor meets a awesome hacker trapped in the body of a Dalek. She rescues the group by erasing the Doctor's existence from the memory of all Daleks.

Following this, the Doctor has the brillant idea to erase all evidence of himself from the universe so that no-one will know who he is.

And here is where we get a massive paradox.

The doctor created the universe because of the Pandorica which was a trap designed for him because everyone in the universe was pissed at him.

The exploding Tardis also happened because of that event.

If nobody ever knew that the Doctor existed, then they would have no reason to create a trap for him. Which would mean that the old universe was never destroyed and re-built, and rebuilt from his memories in his own image of things only he knew about because Amy didn't have a full knowledge of everything in her universe as stuff was eaten by the cracks.

The cracks in the universe never existed, which means that the Doctor would never have met Amy (because she was only interested in him because she was living in a big-ass house that was un-making her relatives from existence.)

If he never met Amy, her and Rory would never have given birth to River Song the Timelord hybrid. If River wasn't a hybrid, she wouldn't have grown up around Rory and Amy and made them realize how they felt about eachother, thus negating her own existence.

And also if he didn't exist in anyone's memories there was no need to be waging war against him and for him to go back and fix things .....In other words paradox as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Coco Pops; 21 April 2013, 06:46 AM.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

AAARRRGGGHHH...!

Temporal Theory gives me a headache.
    But it does sound like a paradox to me.

But then again we are talking about Dr. Who and a Sci-fi show. Where anything is possible.
    And the writer's do love to mess around with our heads...
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

It's a huge paradox, but that means you are noticing the bad writing we are supposed to ignore.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
        It's a huge paradox, but that means you are noticing the bad writing we are supposed to ignore.

Ah so we ignore everything for the sake of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Ah so we ignore everything for the sake of the show.
          These paradoxes are stealing my enjoyment of the show, and every interview from Moffat appears to imply this sentiment.

Comment

These paradoxes are stealing my enjoyment of the show, and every interview from Moffat appears to imply this sentiment.

Well I am sticking with Dr Who as there's nothing else good in scifi to watch on TV at the moment. I am hoping that "Journey to the centre of the TARDIS" will be better.

I don't understand why some writers have all the fans fawning all over them saying how clever they are when the episodes re themselves kind of meh.

Comment

Except the Doctor isn't erased from history. His enemies still know all about him, they just believe he's dead (or at least don't know where to find him). That in itself is a bit of a pointless concept because they don't know how old he was when he died what with him being a Time traveler he can still turn up as far as they're concerned.

The only enemy where he is completely erased from memory is the Daleks. But that is just from that point on. Before then all the actions the Daleks took still happened. So they still created the alliance to trap the Doctor and so on and so forth.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Well, can you actully have a story about timetreval without a paradox? I don't see, how this could be possible. And this show is full of paradoxes, I don't care for one more or less. But of course, even if some pints of your therorei arn't paradox, there's still a lot of paradox stuff left, which can't be explaint by phrases like: "Nothing is ever forgottem not realy" or "you'r a temporal anomaly now, YOU do remember" In fact, being a temporal anormaly almoset includes beeing a paradox, does't it?
                Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Did I blink when the Doctor decided to remove himself from history? He certainly decided to be a bit quieter after being assumed dead. One of those handy "fixed points" around which the rest of time can flow with alteration - a clever way to (largely) avoid the problem of paradoxes. Back to the point: even out of the shown order, did the Doctor really decide to delete himself from history, or is this a proposition of what we're going to find out?

Comment

He starts deleting himself from history somewhere because River gets pardoned because they can't figure out whom killed.

Perhaps it's after the Time of the Angels?

Comment

He starts deleting himself from history somewhere because River gets pardoned because they can't figure out whom killed.

Perhaps it's after the Time of the Angels?
                      No. The Doctor didn't delete himself from history. Oswin Oswald deleted him from the Dalek data banks in Asylum of the Daleks.

You can't have a show about time travel without having paradoxes occur. That is unless you want it to be very linear so that a small child can follow it. As I don't want my Doctor Who turned into the intellectual equivalent of Teletubbies, I'm more than happy for the paradoxes to be there. In fact, the more complicated, the better. I have a brain and like to use it figuring these puzzles out.
                      Last edited by Blencathra; 23 April 2013, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor...

I don't see it as a paradox... because the Doctor's/Clara's tampering with the knowledge of the Doctor is taking place in the new universe created by the Pandorica/TARDIS explosion... If the Doctor had wiped knowledge of his existence from the old universe before he was locked up in the Pandorica, then of course he wouldn't have ended up being locked in the Pandorica, but nor would he have known he was going to be locked up in the Pandorica, see. So, really, by only now in the new universe going around and wiping knowledge of himself, the Doctor has only wiped that knowledge in the new post-Pandorica universe, not the previous Doctor-hating universe. Right?

back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                        and lots more!

Comment

Didn't the Doctor pretty much just say that paradoxes were about as troublesome as untied shoelaces in the "Hide" episode?
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Paradoxes - "Mostly work themselves out," I think was the phrase.
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                              Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor...

I don't see it as a paradox... because the Doctor's/Clara's tampering with the knowledge of the Doctor is taking place in the new universe created by the Pandorica/TARDIS explosion... If the Doctor had wiped knowledge of his existence from the old universe before he was locked up in the Pandorica, then of course he wouldn't have ended up being locked in the Pandorica, but nor would he have known he was going to be locked up in the Pandorica, see. So, really, by only now in the new universe going around and wiping knowledge of himself, the Doctor has only wiped that knowledge in the new post-Pandorica universe, not the previous Doctor-hating universe. Right?

Yeah but the post pandorica universe was created by the Doctor being in the Pandorica so used his memories and knowledge too as well as the "universe particles" that were trapped inside him in the Pandorica. Therefore if his memories and knowledge were used to make the new universe then all his enemies are recreated too including the Silence and the iDaleks.......

What ever happened to the iDaleks? Were they a one time only thing that no one liked and got scrapped?

Comment

Working...
                              X