• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Well Respected Man (105)

Visit the Episode GuideDEFIANCE - SEASON ONE
    A WELL RESPECTED MAN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 105
    Kenya and one of her girls are kidnapped and forced to run for their lives from a Volge warrior, while Amanda and Nolan turn to Datak for help finding the two women.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 06 June 2013, 08:39 PM.

This was a damn good episode.

I liked the various levels of politics being discussed. It went all the way from macro (with the discussions about the Earth Republic and the weapons transactions), to civic interactions, to family level politics.

Rafe should have been kicked in a sensitive area for his paternalistic tone towards Amanda.

The scene with the wife complaining to the mayor was kinda meh. The character had some valid concerns, however was cast and played to be very unsympathetic to the viewing audience. This made it easy for us to dislike her and side with Amanda. I might have gone with portraying the character and her position in a more sympathetic light, and then Amanda's reactions would be viewed quite differently.

I was always a bit surprised that Datak wasn't already on the town council.

Datak explaining street level interactions to Nolan (like a beat cop to a rookie) was interesting. It speaks more to Nolan's inexperience with the people in Defiance, than did his seizure of the weapons shipment.

I liked Rafe opening up to his son. It was also nice to see that the McCawleys finally got off their butts and started to investigate the gizmo Luke found in the mine.

Idle speculation: the mine is named "L 7". Put the L and the 7 together and you get a square.

It was a pretty good scene where the sisters mended their bridges. Each needs the other for support in their lives. Makes one wonder if the mother will re-surface at some point.

Datak's admittance to the council was also a great scene. Some welcome him warmly, some are cool, while others don't want him there at all. Him closing the door on Nolan was a brilliant bit of "one picture is worth...". Where was Rafe, still in the mine?

The scene between Nolan and Stahma was amazing. He levels an insult at her, and she (knowing full well the intent behind his comment) acknowledges it as a compliment, and calls him "sweet". I do like this character.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
      Datak's admittance to the council was also a great scene. Some welcome him warmly, some are cool, while others don't want him there at all. Him closing the door on Nolan was a brilliant bit of "one picture is worth...".
      That was my favorite scene. I liked the way he acted like he thought everyone was thrilled to see him. No sheepishness whatsoever. Was there a significance to the cup and empty chair that went over my head? The camera lingered there a bit like there was something I should be getting, and didn't.

While I was watching Stahma crochet her spider-web thingy it occured to me that they probably don't have TV shows in the new world. Or not new ones anyway.
      sigpic

Comment

The whole 'street level briefing' could have been handled differently. Nolan is a hot head while Datak is cold and calculating. each dangerous in their own way.
        But it did seem kinda odd to be treating Nolan like he was stupid and wouldn't have known that street level politics keeps a town moving. Maybe less Datak treating him like he's stupid and more :

Datak's lectures ...
        NOlan - I know
        Datak - You know in theory, I know in fact. And I know these people in a way that you never will
        NOlan - that's only because you've been here for years
        Datak - And if you do not learn, you will not last a year

Something like that, to still acknowledge that NOlan knows what he's doing, while still making it clear that Datak knows a LOT more than your average person.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yes, very good episode. I also liked the scene as Datak was being introduced to the council. I also caught the empty chair and cup, is he replacing someone- or were those put out just for him?
          I also predict (Amanda's mother) will resurface later in the series.
          Irisa didn't appear at all in this episode, as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
            Was there a significance to the cup and empty chair that went over my head? The camera lingered there a bit like there was something I should be getting, and didn't.
            I'm assuming that the empty chair could be one of two things (or maybe even both):

1.) It is McCawley's chair, and Datak was noting his absence. (EDIT: it could also hint at Datak's plans for the future to get his rival McCawley off of the council)

2.) The chair represents the position/honour/prestige which Datak has coveted for so long.

regards,
            G.
            Last edited by Gollumpus; 07 May 2013, 10:04 AM.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              The whole 'street level briefing' could have been handled differently. Nolan is a hot head while Datak is cold and calculating. each dangerous in their own way.
              But it did seem kinda odd to be treating Nolan like he was stupid and wouldn't have known that street level politics keeps a town moving. Maybe less Datak treating him like he's stupid and more :

Datak's lectures ...
              NOlan - I know
              Datak - You know in theory, I know in fact. And I know these people in a way that you never will
              NOlan - that's only because you've been here for years
              Datak - And if you do not learn, you will not last a year

Something like that, to still acknowledge that NOlan knows what he's doing, while still making it clear that Datak knows a LOT more than your average person.
              Yeah, I'm on side with this idea.

Datak: lecture on street level/petty criminals.
              Nolan: finishes the sentence Datak started about a particular guy, which indicates that Nolan has some idea about what is happening on Defiance's mean streets.
              Datak: proceeds to talk about the level below what is on Nolan's radar (the butcher, the rug weaver) to show Nolan that he's not as much on top of things as he thinks.

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

Datak has become my favorite character, Nolan is kind of boring and didn't shine yet at least IMO but Datak is fun, intelligent and know what to do although being manipulated by his wife as well. I like Stahma as well, the Tarr Family is in general quite awesome, the Votan are quite awesome race as well, I hope we see more powerful Votans like Datak and Stahma in the future. I liked this line "You lack of RESPECT".. and so one... I love how they seem to care for their values but doing morally questionable things as well.
                sigpic

Comment

I thought the ep was kinda boring. I'm still not really getting into it. I'm waiting on it really kicking up a gear or 3 but it's not happened yet. Hope it happens soon.

The Nolan/Mayors sister thing has no interest whatsoever for me, I couldn't really care less who he's having a fling with.And I'm not really liking the people all dressed in white. I dunno, they just bore me *shrugs* Wish we'd get to see more of the girl with Nolan more. She intrigues me.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                    Datak has become my favorite character, Nolan is kind of boring and didn't shine yet at least IMO but Datak is fun, intelligent and know what to do although being manipulated by his wife as well. I like Stahma as well, the Tarr Family is in general quite awesome, the Votan are quite awesome race as well, I hope we see more powerful Votans like Datak and Stahma in the future. I liked this line "You lack of RESPECT".. and so one... I love how they seem to care for their values but doing morally questionable things as well.
                    Interesting points. I suspect (perhaps I hope) that the writers/producers of "Defiance" are trying to make this show more of an ensemble production rather than have it devolve into "I wonder what kind of problem Lawkeeper Nolan will be facing this week"?

I like that the power relationships within the town are being shown to us, and that there are some story-lines which are independent of the others. It allows us to get out feet wet, like Nolan, while he figures out what is going on around him.

I suspect he will start to take a more prominent role in the show as events unfold.

regards,
                    G.
                    Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                      I thought the ep was kinda boring. I'm still not really getting into it. I'm waiting on it really kicking up a gear or 3 but it's not happened yet. Hope it happens soon.
                      I wouldn't be surprised if the action doesn't start to pick up. The Earth Republic has been mentioned, which likely means they will start to be players in Defiance politics. And with the stasis net down, at least for now, there could/should be an increase in raider activity.

The stockpiling of smuggled weapons suggests that at some point they will be used. I'd expect lots of bang bang, boom boom in an upcoming episode or two.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                      The Nolan/Mayors sister thing has no interest whatsoever for me, I couldn't really care less who he's having a fling with.And I'm not really liking the people all dressed in white. I dunno, they just bore me *shrugs* Wish we'd get to see more of the girl with Nolan more. She intrigues me.
                      The triangle between Nolan and the Rosewater sisters is probably a set-up for events which will go for several episodes, or even into following seasons. When I think of the Rosewaters I'm reminded of:

Maybe Nolan will stay with the sister he is currently with, or maybe that fire will die down and he'll find true love with the other. Or, maybe he'll wind up with neither of them. It's all part of the politics and power relationships of the show. Who knows, maybe Nolan winds up with Stahma...

The Castithans can be subtle in their actions. This does not make them any less dangerous. We have seen Datak (while off screen) kill a couple of hellbugs all on his own, with only a knife. This says that he is a very dangerous and powerful fighter, and if/when he and Nolan get into it the outcome might not go Nolan's way.

Irisa has had a very prominent role in the series (all three episodes, counting the pilot as one). She was the one who saved the day by bringing in the Spirit Riders to help defend against the Volge attack. Her actions have impacted on many of the events in the second and third episodes, and arguably led to Datak getting his seat on the city council. Would Stahma have to go to the mayor to make a deal if Datak was still trying to ingratiate himself to her? He would likely have helped Amanda find her sister, but he probably wouldn't have gotten a council seat out of it.

We have also seen that she has some sort of "gift" which could become a very powerful plot device for the writers. I think you're going to continue to see a lot of her in this series.

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

Did anyone catch the Mr. Softee truck music as the truck was being driven to the warehouse? I thought it an ironic (in a funny way) choice to play the music when you think if what the real world Mr. Softee delivers (ice cream) as opposed to bringing junkies and homeless to that place.
                        Last edited by gatechick; 21 May 2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

A lot to appreciate in this ep and I love where the series is going. Datak and Nolan are quickly becoming allocated with one another and Im interested to see if they will somehow become permanent allies or sworn enemies.

Comment

Working...
                          X