PDA

View Full Version : Why are the seasons so weird in the show and why are the people so backward?

psl1
April 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Why are the seasons so weird in the show
10 years for summer and seasons of undetermined length...wtf?

The time measurements are different, so 10 years in their time is 6 months in our time? ....that might make the 8000 years more like 400 years?

Different seasons length....they don't have an accurate calendar measuring system?

why are the people so backward?

From reading something of the history online it looks like this medieval culture has lasted 8000 years. They don't want to get out of the dark ages and join the real world?

No offense but in human history 8000 years goes from 'Neolithic stone age man' to 'modern space age man'.

These are not humans?

Their all inbreed?

P-90_177
April 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM

The time measurements are different, so 10 years in their time is 6 months in our time? ....that might make the 8000 years more like 400 years?

Different seasons length....they don't have an accurate calendar measuring system?

why are the people so backward?

From reading something of the history online it looks like this medieval culture has lasted 8000 years. They don't want to get out of the dark ages and join the real world?

No offense but in human history 8000 years goes from 'Neolithic stone age man' to 'modern space age man'.

These are not humans?

Their all inbreed?

Because that's how it was written? In a fantasy world of magic and dragons perhaps?

The inbreeding....... well actually in GoT that's a fair point.......

Gen. Chris
April 8th, 2013, 12:01 AM
First of all, the series has more of a 12,000 year long history that the people know of.

There is a reason for the seasons being years long at a time, and Martin has said that it will be explained by the end of the series.

As for people not yet advancing out of the medieval ages, there may be a reason for that as well. Don't know, and don't particularly care. And what "real world" would they enter? This is not Earth. It's a different world with a different history, complete with dragons, warlocks, and beings that can raise people from the dead. Everyone in "that" world is still in relatively the same point in their civilization unless there is someone in Sothoros building warp drives.

Skydiver
April 8th, 2013, 03:37 AM
YOu can call it 'dark ages' but really they're pretty much 'pre electricity' on the tech scale. Think about the 'wild, wild west' and how they did things. Electricity paved the way for machines and mechanization. And that's pretty much what they lack.

As to other things....it's an alien planet (as in alien to us) and you can't expect it to follow earth rules of 'normal'.

DigiFluid
April 8th, 2013, 08:28 AM
YOu can call it 'dark ages' but really they're pretty much 'pre electricity' on the tech scale. Think about the 'wild, wild west' and how they did things. Electricity paved the way for machines and mechanization. And that's pretty much what they lack.

And further to that: since we know that magic and such is 'real' in the GoT world, it's clear that it doesn't follow the same physical laws as the real world. It hasn't been addressed (and I doubt it ever will be), but it seems to me that it's entirely conceivable that electricity may not even be possible by the physical laws of the GoT world. But to put it simply: we just don't know, and it's not fair to judge that world by this world's standards.

There's also rather valid in-world reasons for technological stagnation as well:
The distant east, from what little we know, seems to be ruled by the Red Priestesses and their mysticism--not exactly conducive to what we'd call progress
In the nearer east, civilization was dominated for a long time by the comparatively advanced nation of Valyria. When the Doom struck, almost all of Valyrian civilization was wiped out in the devastation. It's recovered somewhat by now, but the secrets of their power have been all but lost, and the remnants have grown up into not-especially-nice descendant nations (ie: the slaver cities of Slaver's Bay, the cutthroat Venice-esque merchants of Qarth, etc)
The West, traditionally, has been a bit of a backwater. It was populated for the longest time by nature-loving creatures, who have slowly died out in the face of the aggression of Men. The first kingdoms of Westeros were crushed by the Andal invasions, who pretty much sought to remove the old and replace it with their own.
And then came the Targaryens who, rather than seek any sort of progress, ruled through the blunt force of having dragons at their disposal. Try to stand up for yourself? ROASTED
Meanwhile in the North, what civilization there is spends its time trying to eke out survival in the harsh conditions (when they aren't having to defend themselves from the Others)

psl1
April 8th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Ahh tooobad. I was hoping the show would grow up and feature Panzer Group Stark ambushing & destroying the Royal Lannister fusiliers while they drank their tea.

Skydiver
April 8th, 2013, 06:59 PM
I thought I had heard/read a theory once the GOT world isn't like ours in that it's not big, planets revolving around a sun, but an inside solar system...as in the 'sun' is inside a massive sphere, and the people walk inside the outer shell...that's what's represented by the open, those revolving bands.

I'm honestly expecting....anyone remember the old Clash of the TItans? I'm talking the one in the 80's, with Harry Hamlin and BUrgess Meredith. Where zeus put playing pieces down into the stadium of life...that that's what we'll end up with in the end, that the whole show has been nothing but a RPG, a game that two people were playing. And what we were watching as 'reality' was them playing their game. ANd it gets played over and over and over. and maybe one reason the seasons are so unpredictible...they are as long as a roll of hte dice dictates they are.

Gen. Chris
April 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Ahh tooobad. I was hoping the show would grow up and feature Panzer Group Stark ambushing & destroying the Royal Lannister fusiliers while they drank their tea.

...grow up?

psl1
April 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I thought I had heard/read a theory once the GOT world isn't like ours in that it's not big, planets revolving around a sun, but an inside solar system...as in the 'sun' is inside a massive sphere, and the people walk inside the outer shell...that's what's represented by the open, those revolving bands.

I'm honestly expecting....anyone remember the old Clash of the TItans? I'm talking the one in the 80's, with Harry Hamlin and BUrgess Meredith. Where zeus put playing pieces down into the stadium of life...that that's what we'll end up with in the end, that the whole show has been nothing but a RPG, a game that two people were playing. And what we were watching as 'reality' was them playing their game. ANd it gets played over and over and over. and maybe one reason the seasons are so unpredictible...they are as long as a role of hte dice dictates they are.

Wow you've just saved my interest in this show. What you describe is similar to one of the best Dr Who series I ever saw as a kid. It was called the WARGAMES. You end up stumbling with the Dr and Jamie and some girl from battlefield to battlefield, but each battlefield is from a different century and location.

You only find out later its part of a massive war game that the "War chief" is orchestrating with opponents from a spacestation to amass the supersoldiers surviving each battlefield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Games

boo1234
April 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Here is my scientific answer... their moon is proportionally either too small or too far away to stabilize the axis of the planet, so the axis wobbles unpredictably. The moon has sufficient mass/distance to the planet to keep the axis from totally going haywire, but at the same time, not enough mass to keep it at a constant angle like we have on earth.

In addition, the orbit of the planet may be more elliptical than that of Earth, which would further subject it to more violent temperature changes. However, I believe that the axial tilt being wobbly is the major contributor in this, because if it was just the elliptical orbit, the seasons would be predictable length.

psl1
April 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Yes I gather the author also did write an earlier novel about the difficulty of life on a earth that's orbit around the sun is getting bigger and bigger.

This guy was originally a sci fi author.

Gen. Chris
April 8th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Martin has said the nature of the seasons is more a matter of magic than nature.

Skydiver
April 9th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Regardless of what it ends up being, viewers would be well served to not expect it to conform to 'common' standards....meaning it ain't earth, don't get yer knickers in a knot if it doesn't act like earth.

They have magic, they have giants, they have white walkers, they have monsters....it's not a 'normal' world.

psl1
April 9th, 2013, 06:21 PM
That’s why I'm not a big fan of fantasy. Without any connection to the real world , It serves little purpose, but to occupy time. In fact sometimes I wonder about the agenda.

After reading the Hobbit & LOTR as a kid I was really bothered by all the 'hacking' and 'hewing' and 'cleaving' & slaughter of the Goblins and Orcs etc. It seemed that scores of Orcs/Goblins died for each Human. In real battles this doesn't happen, until you read about colonial empires and subjugating slaves for such an empire.

I started to wonder ‘what was the point of this narrative’? Over the decades I started to see the humans and elves as colonial westerns, while the Goblins/Orcs as the "coolies" , "wogs" “ragheads” and all so called "savages".

But clearly Tolkien is depicting these goblin/Orcs as evil. Does that makes his efforts just part of a century of apologist in English literature justifying the slavery they visited upon these occupied territories?

If it’s meant to be Swiftian satire , I fear it’s a failure.

Gen. Chris
April 9th, 2013, 07:28 PM
...I think you read far too much into Lord of the Rings...

Aside from that, it was far more likely (given what we know) for the good guys to be the better fighters in Lord of the Rings (books) rather than the complete opposite in the movies, where there were few if any casualties on the side of the Mordor at, say, Minas Tirith before Rohan showed up...For a civilization that had existed for 3,000 years, even in decline, the soldiers of Gondor were pretty useless.

psl1
April 9th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Aside from that, it was far more likely (given what we know) for the good guys to be the better fighters in Lord of the Rings (books) rather than the complete opposite in the movies, where there were few if any casualties on the side of the Mordor at, say, Minas Tirith before Rohan showed up...For a civilization that had existed for 3,000 years, even in decline, the soldiers of Gondor were pretty useless.

I don't recall that, reading the book all those decades ago. Most of the fighting was VERY one sided.

DigiFluid
April 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Without any connection to the real world , It serves little purpose, but to occupy time.

Hi, welcome to "fiction."

psl1
April 17th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hi, welcome to "fiction."

Yes but like it or not, all writers draw from their real life experiences to write and say something. So it is important to explore what the medium of 'fantasy fiction' brings to his story.

Why change the seasons at all?

Life in the medieval world was absolutely horrible unless you were some one of power. Even then if winter lasts long enough; most plant life will die off as will most large animal life and then the population that depends on that will die off in massed starvation.

Gen. Chris
April 17th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Yes but like it or not, all writers draw from their real life experiences to write and say something. So it is important to explore what the medium of 'fantasy fiction' brings to his story.

Why change the seasons at all?

Life in the medieval world was absolutely horrible unless you were some one of power. Even then if winter lasts long enough; most plant life will die off as will most large animal life and then the population that depends on that will die off in massed starvation.

Again, all will be explained.

DigiFluid
April 18th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Yes but like it or not, all writers draw from their real life experiences to write and say something.
That's a lie perpetuated by high school English teachers.

Writing never, ever has to "say something." People read and write for pleasure every bit as much--if not more than--to climb up on the proverbial soapbox.

Gen. Chris
April 18th, 2013, 09:54 AM
That's a lie perpetuated by high school English teachers.

Writing never, ever has to "say something." People read and write for pleasure every bit as much--if not more than--to climb up on the proverbial soapbox.

Exactly. I'm a firm believer in that if a writer says that the curtains were blue...he didn't mean that to reflect his inner sadness or some bs like that. He meant that the curtains were freaking blue.

psl1
April 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Exactly. I'm a firm believer in that if a writer says that the curtains were blue...he didn't mean that to reflect his inner sadness or some bs like that. He meant that the curtains were freaking blue.

That’s not what I'm talking about. Either a writer is just writing to make money and has nothing to say but cone gullible people into buying his books [might work in short term but never lasts] or he has something he/she feels a deep enough need to communicate. It could not last 7 books without some kind of basic driving point behind it.

DigiFluid
April 18th, 2013, 02:50 PM
That's absurd.

Skydiver
April 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM
All life will not die every winter....hasn't for thousands of years. Heck, even on this planet all life didn't die during the ice ages. In the GoT world, those that can migrate where it's warmer.

If you look at life forms on this world, we have animals with antifreeze in their blood so that they can live in the antarctic year round. LIfe is persistent.

A person can't make this fictional world be 'normal' any more than they can hold VUlcan or Dagobah or Bespin to earth standards. Look at the giant space slug in Star Wars, applying 'earth' standards, that critter shouldn't be able to exist in a vacuum, but it did.

It's FICTION. Thus 'reality' is whatever the author decides reality is.

psl1
April 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Then this is exactly where the suspension of disbelief dies....oh while life may live on- civilization [as we know it] would collapse and only raise again based on invention and innovation; but that’s a human thing. Then there’s ‘Nuclear Winter’ or E.L.E.

If the world is all in winter for 10 years, where is life going to migrate to?

Gen. Chris
April 19th, 2013, 03:36 PM
...To the south? Where winter is less harsh.

Again, it is fantasy. It does not have to make complete sense.

fems
April 21st, 2013, 12:31 PM
Then this is exactly where the suspension of disbelief dies....oh while life may live on- civilization [as we know it] would collapse and only raise again based on invention and innovation; but that’s a human thing. Then there’s ‘Nuclear Winter’ or E.L.E.

If the world is all in winter for 10 years, where is life going to migrate to?

Perhaps that's why they're still so "backwards" to use your own words...

psl1
April 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Perhaps that's why they're still so "backwards" to use your own words...

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I like little Robb Starks command skills ; good decoy maneuver to steal away Jaime Lannister in the first season. If this keeps up it might still be worth watching.

Cold Fuzz
April 24th, 2013, 07:08 PM
That’s not what I'm talking about. Either a writer is just writing to make money and has nothing to say but cone gullible people into buying his books [might work in short term but never lasts] or he has something he/she feels a deep enough need to communicate. It could not last 7 books without some kind of basic driving point behind it.

If you want some deep basic driving point behind the books and the series, then here's something for you: There are no black and white characters. No character or house is completely good nor evil. Every single character and organization has elements of both, which is a good reflection of real life. In reality there has never been a person that has been completely good or completely evil and the books and series are indicative of that.

I'm honestly expecting....anyone remember the old Clash of the TItans? I'm talking the one in the 80's, with Harry Hamlin and BUrgess Meredith. Where zeus put playing pieces down into the stadium of life...that that's what we'll end up with in the end, that the whole show has been nothing but a RPG, a game that two people were playing. And what we were watching as 'reality' was them playing their game. ANd it gets played over and over and over. and maybe one reason the seasons are so unpredictible...they are as long as a roll of hte dice dictates they are.

I had the same thought as you, that the Game was being played out by R'hllor and the Great Other in a celestial setting.

psl1
April 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Oh crap, its no longer on Showcase- in Canada. The show has been replaced by 'Boring Walk Empire'.

I wonder if its ratings fell?

Cold Fuzz
April 26th, 2013, 07:36 PM
As far as I know, the ratings are just fine here. Quite strong really. Now as for the ratings in Canada, I'm not sure.

psl1
April 29th, 2013, 09:12 PM
OK got DVD of second seasno andwatching the 1st episode again with commentary from the directors and they state that "This is not Planet Earth".

So these are not humans....

I Still want to see Panzer Group Stark !

Gen. Chris
May 1st, 2013, 08:33 PM
Yes they are humans.

I believe Martin once said that he likes to think of this place as Earth during a time of magic, kind of how Tolkien viewed...Arda? Yeah I think that's it.

Really, though. It is best not to think about it too much. There are much better things to be theorizing about.

Gollumpus
May 7th, 2013, 10:12 AM

You think this is bad? Try these books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helliconia

regards,
G.

psl1
June 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I generally got out of reading most sci-fi before it exploded into a million authors for this fantasy type.

Straight Sci-fi or nothing.

Brother Freyr
June 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I generally got out of reading most sci-fi before it exploded into a million authors for this fantasy type.

Straight Sci-fi or nothing.In fairness to Game of Thrones, it has nothing to do with science fiction. It's straight-up fantasy. Or perhaps I misunderstand psl1's post.

Who Knows
June 10th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Well the op asks why they are all so backward, so there is no sifi to it.

For me Got is escapism, much as Alice in Wonderland or Snow White & the Seven Dwarves was as a child.
I prefer to sit back & enjoy the moment rather then trying to analyze every scene & try to equate it to real life as I know it.

psl1
June 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Some one claimed this was not "earth", but in the second season Tyrion Lannister tells Shea to "F$%k him like it was their last day on earth".

So this IS meant to be earth and these ARE meant to be humans , but they don't behave like any humans in history.

After watching the first and second seasons, the wife exclaimed that the show was a typical male fantasy & just like a soap opera with "violence for violence sake".

I must admit that after "The Red Wedding" I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of it all.
It does start to resemble a never ending adolescent hedonistic fantasy.

In Viking mythology, life in Valhalla was thought to start each day with a massive banquet- rich in salted pork and beer served by wenches who fur full their deepest sexual desires, followed by a massive fight to the death of every one in the hall. Next day the whole thing starts again. Sounds more like a nightmare episode from "The Twilight Zone" to ,me.

Gen. Chris
June 11th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Some one claimed this was not "earth", but in the second season Tyrion Lannister tells Shea to "F$%k him like it was their last day on earth".

So this IS meant to be earth and these ARE meant to be humans , but they don't behave like any humans in history.

After watching the first and second seasons, the wife exclaimed that the show was a typical male fantasy & just like a soap opera with "violence for violence sake".

I must admit that after "The Red Wedding" I'm beginning to wonder what's the point of it all.
It does start to resemble a never ending adolescent hedonistic fantasy.

In Viking mythology, life in Valhalla was thought to start each day with a massive banquet- rich in salted pork and beer served by wenches who fur full their deepest sexual desires, followed by a massive fight to the death of every one in the hall. Next day the whole thing starts again. Sounds more like a nightmare episode from "The Twilight Zone" to ,me.

1. That is a phrase. You should not take it literally.

2. Of course they are human. Just like the humans in any other science fiction or fantasy.

3. At most, GRRM has stated that he always imagined this world being a part of Earth's history, sort of like how Tolkien imagined Arda. But that doesn't mean that everything from this world translates into the other.

4. It seems like you are just coming up with any reason to dislike this show, so why watch it?

psl1
June 12th, 2013, 11:41 AM
1. That is a phrase. You should not take it literally.

2. Of course they are human. Just like the humans in any other science fiction or fantasy.

3. At most, GRRM has stated that he always imagined this world being a part of Earth's history, sort of like how Tolkien imagined Arda. But that doesn't mean that everything from this world translates into the other.

4. It seems like you are just coming up with any reason to dislike this show, so why watch it?

This show had potential to be sooooo much more. I`m Just disappointed, that's all.

But the wife is right, only a man could have made up such misogynistic, hedonistic crap.

Ukko
June 12th, 2013, 01:19 PM
This show had potential to be sooooo much more. I`m Just disappointed, that's all.

But the wife is right, only a man could have made up such misogynistic, hedonistic crap.

And with that blatant sexism her argument falls flat on its face.

Selina
June 12th, 2013, 02:06 PM

I'm tempted to ask "How ?", but I guess I'll instead just give you the advice to look for a show that is more to your liking if this one is such a disappointment.

Gen. Chris
June 12th, 2013, 11:03 PM
The SHOW is following THE BOOKS. Don't blame it for the faults that you see in the books.

People die...Violently at times. Whether in battle, through betrayal, or just outright murder, people die. In TV shows with violent premises, it is ridiculous when so many of the main characters can make it through without dying. The only other shows I can think of that make a habit of killing main or heavily recurring characters are Spartacus, the Walking Dead, and 24. Despite the obvious fictional (or somewhat fictional in the case of Spartacus) nature of the shows, I consider them to be far more realistic than most other shows, because it simply is not realistic for there to always be a happy ending for characters. And in all honesty, I'm glad there are shows out there that do this.

Skydiver
June 13th, 2013, 03:16 AM
And how many times did the stargate writers have aliens using earth idioms and phrases?

I can recall in Enigma, Narim saying to sam 'our bedding does not have such accoutrements'.....so the Tollan speak french???

You can't take anything characters on a tv show say literally. Because it's often writers using common phrases and not taking the time to go 'yeah, an _______ wouldn't say that'

psl1
June 13th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I actually think the show and actors are great, just the story/plot sucks.

Going over my basic understanding of medieval history, the people were terribly poor and spent 90% of their time and energies just trying to scrape by a living. Most of them died of disease and infection, not from war. As a direct result of all this, wars were few and far between because no one could afford them. In fact the main function between regions and kingdoms & people was trade not war.

This also was the primary vehicle for change bringing in new ideas and new combinations. Those that traveled either died or became richer. That changed the basic dynamic, since these rich merchants demanded a larger role in communities. Even groups of farms formed into ‘villages’ for bilateral-multilateral trade. Over three peaceful centuries [10-13th ] European population tripled because of this stable economy that saw little war. Only the Pope had enough wealth to wage wars of conquest and they were mostly in the Crusades.

The structure was based on the ``feudal system`` that created a circle of support. The masses [90%] worked for the local lord/manor that took taxes for the kingdom but also oversaw the “Law” and protected these people from threats and starvation through as system of castles. The lords relied on the Kingdom for empowerment/entitlement, while the lords supported the kingdom with masses of `Levees` to fight when called upon. If any one part of this system failed- the whole mess would collapse. With the climate change of the mini ice age, the medieval age came to an end. The combined stress of famine & peasant rebellions spread, so when the plague arrived, the already weakened population was destroyed. One out of every 3 Europeans died.

The first time after the Roman empire, you even see armies of thousands of soldiers doesn't happen until the 16 century. Further campaigning with armies of 10-15,000 troops, required the army march by its stomach. Any advance had to be timed and directed into the most fertile lands possible to fur-fill basic grazing needs of the horse ox/wagon and other transport needs, while the troops could only be fed by letting them loose on the local farms to rape and plunder [make sure they are not your own people]. This meant war campaigns could only happen in between farming seasons and only over particular routes and distances.

With these kinds of stresses and strains, medieval society would never have lasted more than 8 centuries; let alone 8 millennia.

Skydiver
June 14th, 2013, 03:17 AM
And a lot of that is what we're seeing, glimpses about how the 'normal' people are affected by the 'few' making their dash for power. And more of how the 'few' are affected. Alliances, partnerships, betrayal, all fueled by the overriding push for power, most of the so focused on that power that they don't/can't see that with winter coming, the strife caused by this war may doom them all (since so many are focusing on war and not laying in supplies they may not survive the winter or at the very least may need to become refugees fleeing it)

the ultimate irony may be that whoemever wins the game of thrones will be leading an empty land, because everyone else has gone south for the winter.

jmoz
June 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I actually think the show and actors are great, just the story/plot sucks.

lol, that's my opinion too but show sucks to me as well. Most of the plot seems to be slight buildup, shock value moment, aftermath and fallout, slight buildup, shock value moment, aftermath and fallout, etc. And character deaths aren't as shocking anymore once you figure out who his main characters are supposed to be. He's not going to kill Daenerys; if he does, then I'll hush up. The realism schtick that the books seem to go for in the light fantasy setting kind of falls apart for me when you have someone like Daenerys surviving as long as she has. All of that is my opinion of course.

The problem you seem to be pointing out about the general lack of advancement in fantasy worlds is not really new. But you have to consider that their world revolves around magic, something essentially uncertain and selective. If the magic was consistent and uniform, then that would likely be the 'science' of their world. Their world seems to revolve around uncertain and selective magic, so their progress might evolve differently, even unrealistically.

Gen. Chris
June 14th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I love when people try giving me a history lesson on things I'm already quite aware of. :rolleyes:

I've thought about the fact that they have been stuck in a medieval type world for a while, and while first of all it hasn't been that long (if we judge medieval by iron and steel weapons it 5-6,000 years, I think...before that men existed but it was hardly a medieval set up) did you ever stop to think that there is a reason that they have not advanced?

We can't always go around trying to explain or question some things in fantasy or science fiction, otherwise the entire premise of the genres fall apart. Harry Potter, for instance, has a lot of flaws when you really start to think about it...That's generally why you don't think about it, unless you are looking for a reason to hate it. I do it all the time when I am forced to watch Disney movies cause I can't stand them, so I pick them apart easily.

Starfist
July 28th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I once read a series of fantasy books about witches. It ended up that the world they were on just happend to be a 'lost' colony from Earth. And due to some unexplained reasons they had lost all technology and had to re-learn everything. But they lived in a feudal system.

Perhaps this is how GOT will turn out?

McAvoy
August 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I think people need to stop imagining Game of Thrones happening on Earth. These people are not humans displaced from medieval/dark ages but people who vaguely look like that.

Different world, different civilizations. Once you realize that this is totally different world and universe then you can enjoy it.

I have also heard many people complain about the lack of action. My answer is this: not every fantasy show has to be like Lord of the Rings or whatever and have big battles. The books and the show have always been about showing the world through a character's eyes. If someone wrote a book for example in that style, for soldiers in the Persian Gulf, I wonder how many battles we would see?

I always got the impression from the beginning that this was not supposed to be Spartacus but more politics and scheming than bloodshed.

Molitro
August 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I'm completely amazed on how people always try to force connections between FICTION and FANTASY worlds to reality.
(Characters saying things like "the xxxxx on earth" means the story is supposed to be in earth? So i guess every scy-fi or fantasy wirtten in an earth language must be related to reality because the characters speak in earth languages right?
Get serious please.)

It would be quite a lot to comment on why you're wrong, but let me just say I'm amused to read about how the plot of what basically is the best fantasy since Tolkien "sucks", how what is a pretty realistic medieval setting somehow is unrealistic because there's sutff that doesn't happen like that on reality, or how this is "misogynistic, hedonistic crap".

Really, hilarious.

PD: GRRM thinks about "a song of ice and fire"'s planet as maybe being larger than earth, but he isn't even set on that.
And the seasons will have a magical explanation.

Lunaeclipse
January 7th, 2014, 06:03 PM
...You can get a general idea of how many years have passed in the books by Arya's age, which if I remember correctly gets mentioned the most...