This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning on unexpected spoilers in fanfiction

I've been avoiding my usual haunts here to avoid spoilers for the last 5 episodes, but I continued to check out new fanfic, both here and on fan fiction.net. Now I can't even do that as the title together with the description of a new fic served as a spoiler for something happening in a very recent episode. I didn't even read one bit of the fic, but I don't think my guess is wrong, though I would hope I am. Guess I'll just have to reread old fanfiction, which isn't so bad.

yes people will need to watch out for this, it would be better if the authors where a little more careful but if you want to get someone to read your fic you need to make it sound as good as possible in just a few lines

Anyway gatetrixter the old stuff ain't that bad!! lol

Comment

authors should be sensitive to things like this

they should say 'Requiem' Daneil mourns for Shau'ri

but rather

'Requiem' Daniel Mourns or something like that that doesn't spoil
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        authors should be sensitive to things like this

they should say 'Requiem' Daneil mourns for Shau'ri

but rather

'Requiem' Daniel Mourns or something like that that doesn't spoil

I posted this not to complain so much as for it to be a warning for others who don't want spoilers, but doubt that where it was moved to will be read by all that many in that position. Anyway, your suggestion is good, but for this particular situation the name of the person affected would give it away. But I will say it would have been nice for those lucky enought to see eps earlier than others to wait to post their stories, though I can see why they wouldn't want to. Or how about a special section for them?

Comment

Originally posted by mishy_mo
          yes people will need to watch out for this, it would be better if the authors where a little more careful but if you want to get someone to read your fic you need to make it sound as good as possible in just a few lines

Anyway gatetrixter the old stuff ain't that bad!! lol
          I don't even remember who the writer(s) with the spoiling titles were, to tell the truth. I just left the site ASAP. As far as old fanfic, yes, the is a lot of great stuff out there, so I meant the situation wasn't so bad, not the fanfic. I hope this warning reached others who don't want spoilers, which was my reason for posting it.

Comment

there's always going to be some spoilage, it's inevitable. while the us and uk are just a few weeks off, some parts of the world are months off and delayed

but, to me, if it's an important plot point, such as shau'ri dying, you shouldn't title your fic 'shau'ri dies' (although, funnily enough, one foreign country translated 'forever in a day' as 'shau'ri dies' and printed that in the tv guide as the title of the episode )

to me, a person should warn that thier fic contains heavy spoilers, such as when very big things happen, like daniel's death or the such

they should try as hard as they can to protect others from spoilers

it doesn't always happen unfortunately. I mean, i knew a couple of things about threads, i'd picked up a bit from folks who'd seen it and remarks theyu'd made (and just putting 2 & 2 together with the spoilers) but someone made an off hand remark about a third very vital plot twist, that i did not know, and yep, i got spoiled.

wasn't a huge surprise, what happened was something i suspected was going ot happen, so it was more of a confirmation...still doesn't mean i wasn't a little ticked off

I'm afraid the only way to remain 100% spoiler free is to keep totally off the net
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X