Colonels Caldwell and Ellis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonels Caldwell and Ellis

Who did you prefer as the resident starship commander, Caldwell or Ellis? Speaking of Ellis, he was effectively a fill in for when Mitch Pillegi (Caldwell) was unavailable, yes? I loved how Caldwell had a big role in the second season. I liked the leadership triad of Sheppard, Weir, and Caldwell that year. Unfortunately, the character's role was downplayed in later seasons. If I remember right, Caldwell was in the second season for about ten episodes. In the third, he only appeared in about six episodes with Ellis in the finale? In the fourth season, was Caldwell only in two episodes? I only remember Ellis appearing in "Be All My Sins Remember'd." Then in the fifth season, Caldwell pops up in three episodes with Ellis having a cameo in the finale.

Were the fourth and fifth season writers trying to get away from the Daedalus and Apollo assisting Atlantis?

I like them both, but prefer Colonel Caldwell. Maybe because he's been around longer. I can't give any good reason why I prefer Caldwell, except that I've seen him in other shows over the years (mostly X-Files). Mitch Pileggi now has a recurring role on the new version of Dallas as one of the not so good guys.

I did like the episode where Ellis spoke very harshly to McKay (somebody needed to), and Sam chewed him out for doing so and let him know in no uncertain terms he wouldn't be welcome back on Atlantis if he ever did it again (in her presence).

I did think that Caldwell and Ellis made a really good support team when they were together in an episode.

I think that Mitch Pileggi was getting more roles on other shows and wasn't available for SGA as much as he had been earlier, which might have been a reason for having Ellis around more often. It was suggested that the reason he was not in the second part of the 5th season middle of the season episode was because he was busy on some other show, and it was glaringly obvious when Woolsey suddenly came into command on the ship.

Comment

Caldwell but only cos I think the actor is great

Comment

I much preferred Caldwell.
        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Add another vote for Caldwell.

Comment

I liked them equally.
            sigpic

Comment

I like them both, but I guess I'm the only one that leans toward Ellis.

sigpic

Comment

I preferred Caldwell probably because I saw him more, but Ellis still gets to play a hero's role in my heart for chewing out McKay that one time.

Comment

Would have been nice had they had a clip in the following episode, where Ellis had to actually COMPLEMENT Mccay on his plan..

Comment

Probably Caldwell, but there was something terribly efficient about Ellis that I liked. Like beaming down immediately upon being given authorization. Or telling his crew that Rodney was ready to beam up when he hadn't actually said that he was. Too many of the captains would drop out of hyperspace, have the crew detect an enemy ship, and then they'd just sit and wait and see what happens, etc. But that wasn't Ellis at all. Which in my mind, makes him one of the best 304 commanders. Not better than Carter, though.

Comment

Skinner... I mean Caldwell.

I didn't like Ellis because he seemed to have head up his butt. He comes in and takes charge.
                      Hi There!

Comment

Caldwell...just because.

Comment

Originally posted by McAvoy View Post
                          Skinner... I mean Caldwell.

I didn't like Ellis because he seemed to have head up his butt. He comes in and takes charge.
                          To be fair Caldwell was like that at the start of S2
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Ellis

Comment

Working...
                            X