PDA

View Full Version : Helix (Ron Moore) - speculation/discussion/spoilers

magictrick
March 8th, 2013, 07:11 AM
I searched the forum and couldn't find a thread on this. If there is please merge :)

The show is called Helix. SyFy has given a straight to series order bypassing the pilot stage. I guess producing a great series like BSG gains some major faith in your work from network execs.

The cable network announced Thursday that it has given a straight-to-series order to Ron Moore's drama Helix.

The 13-episode series, which bypassed the pilot stage, is described as a thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak. There, they find themselves in a terrifying life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind's salvation or total annihilation.

Moore (Battlestar Galactica) will executive produce the drama alongside Lynda Obst (Contact), Steven Maeda (Lost, The X-Files) and Cameron Porsandeh, who penned the pilot of the Sony Pictures Television entry.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ron-moore-drama-helix-lands-426775

This is airing on SyFy, but the description makes it seems like this will just be a drama. Not sure what Sci-Fi elements, if any, will be part of the show. Remains to be seen.

techs
March 8th, 2013, 11:32 AM
One rumor I heard was that there would be zombies.

Gen. Chris
March 8th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Anything is better than another reality show.

Angela V
March 9th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I like Zombies so I wouldn't mind. I'll try anything of Ron Moore's anyway. Even reality if it's good like Face Off.

knowles2
March 9th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Wasn't to clean on his last attempt at a new tv Virtuality. And BSG steadily got worse throughout it run.

The plot doesn't sound wholly original either. I think their are a lot better and more original ideas out there waiting to get made.

If Syfy wants it own Walking Dead, it could do no worse than just import Utopia, I am sure it will find an audience a huge audience the US, at least it should and it ten times better than anything Ron Moore is likely to come up with.

Gen. Chris
July 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeV9FfSaoU

Gen. Chris
November 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIthI2sKfu4

Wyrminarrd
November 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Looks interesting, will definitely give this series a chance.

VampyreWraith
November 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM
It looks very interesting, I'm really looking forward to it.

mr_kennedy
November 5th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Trailer looks good, I'll atleast give it a try :)

Gen. Chris
November 23rd, 2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrFJa3wE-GM

AresLover452
December 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Might have to give this a try when it comes to TV.

Gen. Chris
January 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
The first fifteen minutes of Helix is available to watch on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5GBr1DUxTE

The show premiers in one week.

Edit: Nevermind, guess they took it down. Weird, cause it was put up by SyFy in the first place.

Spimman
January 6th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I'll probably give this show a shot, mostly because not much else is on at the moment. I'm a little curious, but nothing about the show really pulls me in that much. I'm hoping maybe the show has something original that will make it interesting, instead of just another disease\genetic engineering process that turns people in some sort of zombies.

myhelix
January 7th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Great, they steal my name, maybe I should sue them? ;)
At least I hope the show is good, otherwise I have to change it.

boo1234
January 10th, 2014, 10:57 PM
I liked the 3rd episode that they streamed on syfy (episode 1 and 2 were the premier) much better than the series premier. My big gripe with the show is that I don't feel any connection with any of the characters except maybe the fat blonde one. The rest of the characters are just kind of blah. And, I can't see how they can stretch this series out very long while isolated at the research facility unless they manage to break containment and go global. The opening theme song is a little weird and seems out of character for the tone of the show.

Kenton-Atlantis
January 11th, 2014, 12:40 AM
I really enjoyed the show so far im lookin forward to watching next weeks episode

12OzMouse
January 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I watched the first two and then was real surprised to see that SyFy released the 3rd already. So far, ho-hum. I'm sure Ron Moore has a way to make this all interesting. With a 13 episode order and the first 3 already burnt, something needs to happen soon, I would think. I'll keep watching just to see...

VampyreWraith
January 11th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I watched the first three episodes and I like it so far.

Rosehawk
January 11th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I found it interesting.

I only have seen the season premier. I am not watching it on-line at them moment.

Does anyone else think that humans are being experimented on by aliens. I think the government thinks they are in control of the project but I sense that maybe someone else/alien might be running the show.

Wyrminarrd
January 11th, 2014, 02:00 PM
The show hasn't hooked me yet but it was interesting enough to make me give it another episode or two.

Are they planning on making more of this show or is it just this one season? I just can't see how they would drag this premise out over more then one season...

MasySyma
January 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I'm not hooked yet either. Most of the characters are flat or annoying, and I am so tired of love triangles, especially one in the pilot.

I'll try a few more episodes, but if they are trying to remake Outbreak as a thirteen hour show, I won't stick around.

That and some of the details are bad. Their arctic was not cold enough. People are strolling out for "mysterious" calls with just a coat. Ugh.

12OzMouse
January 12th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I guess I'll be disappointed if this ends up as poor as it started. Ron Moore is one of my favorite writers for TV. It does rather amuse me that because he likes the interaction of people in a confined environment he choose this theme to showcase it. I mean, a couple good sized bombs, problem solved. I'll keep watching because I have to believe that SyFy wouldn't have bit on this show based on what we've seen. Because, this can't be all there is, can it?

Sure hope not.

Kenton-Atlantis
January 14th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Just watched the third episode today it was great. So far I really like the show. There must be a few surprises coming i agree more needs to happen. I have faith

Bladed
January 15th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Reminds of that short lived series Starring Carla Guino(sp) and Brent Spiner.

The series was called Threshold.

Kenton-Atlantis
January 15th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I kinda wish i didnt watch episode three allready now im gonna have two wait till the 24th for more. the last episode really got me into it

MossPlanktor
January 16th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Looking forward to watching it, it's going to start on British TV in a few days.

12OzMouse
January 16th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I just read a little thing this afternoon about the amount of time that elapses during this first series. It added to my opinion that this would have made a better mini-series than a regular show. They could have always gone to series if it was successful, of which I have my doubts.

Someone above also mentioned the love triangle, you'll be happy to know that they originally had plans to kill off one of the points of the triangle, early in the show. However, having the triangle gave them more material to play with. Think so? Geesh.... like we all don't know how that will work out.

A couple other things, but since I can't recall how to put the spoiler tags on, I better leave it be or else face the wrath of the board.

Anyway, I'm still baffled as to why they would put the 3rd ep on line after the first two aired. Now this week will be a blank for all those who took advantage. For a show like this, seems like a foolish move.

knowles2
January 16th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I just read a little thing this afternoon about the amount of time that elapses during this first series. It added to my opinion that this would have made a better mini-series than a regular show. They could have always gone to series if it was successful, of which I have my doubts.

Someone above also mentioned the love triangle, you'll be happy to know that they originally had plans to kill off one of the points of the triangle, early in the show. However, having the triangle gave them more material to play with. Think so? Geesh.... like we all don't know how that will work out.

A couple other things, but since I can't recall how to put the spoiler tags on, I better leave it be or else face the wrath of the board.

Anyway, I'm still baffled as to why they would put the 3rd ep on line after the first two aired. Now this week will be a blank for all those who took advantage. For a show like this, seems like a foolish move. That bad, there central story idea was so weak they needed to fill it out with a love story. Ron Moor is a good writer, but he yet to prove he a good show creator, his inability to do long term planning will stop from ever being a good show creator. I haven't seen Helix yet so I hoping I am proven wrong.

you add spoilers by adding [] brackets around the word spoiler, [/spoiler22] without the 22

knowles2
January 16th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I guess I'll be disappointed if this ends up as poor as it started. Ron Moore is one of my favorite writers for TV. It does rather amuse me that because he likes the interaction of people in a confined environment he choose this theme to showcase it. I mean, a couple good sized bombs, problem solved. I'll keep watching because I have to believe that SyFy wouldn't have bit on this show based on what we've seen. Because, this can't be all there is, can it?

Sure hope not. Given that Syfy is desperate for new, cheap to produce shows, I wouldn't be surprise if they commission this base on Ron Moor name only and rush it into production, it look to me like it came out of no where.

12OzMouse
January 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Given that Syfy is desperate for new, cheap to produce shows, I wouldn't be surprise if they commission this base on Ron Moor name only and rush it into production, it look to me like it came out of no where.

I think your exactly right. I actually read about it last year when SyFy was making this huge deal about the type and number of shows they had in development. Craig, what's his name, from SyFy also did an AMA at Reddit about that time and briefly talked about it. But that's a whole other story.

I hadn't considered how cheap this one must be to make. As others have mentioned, the whole attention to detail sucks, so they must be cutting corners in more places than production, too. I'm not saying that it isn't entertaining, cause it is, it's just that I had hoped for a lot more. There's nothing special, (so far) in the concept and the plot is very predictable. Yes, I'd say you've got it. A nice, cheap piece of new program to throw out there mid-season. If it lights it up, so much the better, but if it fails they haven't lost much.

Also, thanks for the instruction on the spoiler tags.

psl1
January 17th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I work at a University around labs and the lack of protection the so called CDC staffers use around contagions , samples & the infected is spectacular bad.

With the glow in the dark eyes of the base director in the first episode; I thought it was a dead give away that this so called 'unknown contagion' is of alien origin and not so unknown by some.......

OMG its the Xfiles....

knowles2
January 18th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I work at a University around labs and the lack of protection the so called CDC staffers use around contagions , samples & the infected is spectacular bad.

With the glow in the dark eyes of the base director in the first episode; I thought it was a dead give away that this so called 'unknown contagion' is of alien origin and not so unknown by some.......

OMG its the Xfiles.... I thought it pointed to the fact that this base has move beyond working with transgenics rats to making themselves transgenics or at least the director has been experimenting on himself. Probably made himself immune from this virus. Which is why they got rid of that monkey, which itself is a transgenic experiment and is a viable means of producing an anecdote. It possible that the director is also the final outcome of the infection, those that don't die becomes fully controlled by the virus. Which we know is changing the people its infects.

The opening scene told us that the director knew all about the contagion, when he mention something about progress whilst feeding the doc brother water. This isn't an unknown contagion and is known by the people that work at the lab, who are keeping their mouths shut for some yet unknown reason. Through the brother warned the world and invited CCD in, which he did without the director orders. Several others have tried to inform the CDC.

Surely the explosion of the satellite dish through will be notice by intelligences agencies around the world who will start to dispatched their own teams to investigate the site, this whole working outside of international law applies both ways. Which means our engineer will have to speed up his own schedule, and we should be expecting a few guests to be arriving soon. Probably people from WHO for starters.

rkgardner2003
January 18th, 2014, 06:55 AM
We only watched the first episode so far, I'm also feeling kind of so-so about it. I do have ep 2&3 on the DVR and will give them a try. I'm not a fan of the love triangle drama...

MasySyma
January 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
We're done. We made it 10 minutes into episode 3 and gave up at the terrible writing.

1. So the head guy finds Peter and runs over and touches him. He should know better. 2. Scientists who work on infectious diseases are having to be advised about how to treat these diseases. 3. The constant long shots of people staring to emote stress/concern is absurd.

MossPlanktor
January 18th, 2014, 11:20 PM
We only watched the first episode so far, I'm also feeling kind of so-so about it. I do have ep 2&3 on the DVR and will give them a try. I'm not a fan of the love triangle drama...

Wasn't there a love triangle in Walking dead?

rkgardner2003
January 19th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Wasn't there a love triangle in Walking dead?

Yes, but I felt this one was tossed in more immediately and is more of a central point. Maybe if I loved the rest of the story it wouldn't of distracted me. I still haven't seen more than the first episode. The triangle in the Walking Dead was an important thread of the show but, I never felt distracted by it, there was always much more important things going on.

MossPlanktor
January 19th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Good Answer RK

Kenton-Atlantis
January 19th, 2014, 09:58 PM
The love triangle in The Walking Dead was worse and it went on forever and it really started to annoy me. I agree i dont like the love triangle stuff but i barely notice it in Helix. The third episode was the best and i have a feelin its only gonna get better.

VampyreWraith
January 20th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I didn't like the love triangle on The Walking Dead, and I don't like the love triangle on this show.
I'm fine with the stuff between the head CDC guy(Alan?) and his ex-wife(Julia), but I could have done without Sarah crushing on Alan. I really like the show so far though, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

MossPlanktor
January 22nd, 2014, 02:36 AM
Well the First pilot episode was on Monday night, i watched it, and thought it predictable but i will give it a shot.

Starfist
January 23rd, 2014, 02:24 AM
I caught the 1st episode/pilot on Monday night as it aired on Channel 5 here in the UK.
I was quite surprised as I wasn't aware it was going to be shown.

It looks as though it is going to be an interesting show.

worldmaker
January 23rd, 2014, 04:04 AM
Ten minutes in,
click channels,
good-bye.

:cool:

Sorry, but when I see yet another group of polished "characters" from the Hollywood stock cupboard, fighting yet another virus in a remote laboratory (did they get permission to plant the Lab. so far out in the Arctic? Where were Greenpeace? Now that WOULD make an interesting sub-plot.... hmmmm, might write my own concept.) while yet another Big Corporation of AmericanLand try to Keep It SECRET, you can close your eyes plot the rest, and giggle.

No. I'm not wasting another minute on this.

But thanks for inspiring me to conceive of something different.

:D

knowles2
January 23rd, 2014, 04:06 PM
Ten minutes in,
click channels,
good-bye.

:cool:

Sorry, but when I see yet another group of polished "characters" from the Hollywood stock cupboard, fighting yet another virus in a remote laboratory (did they get permission to plant the Lab. so far out in the Arctic? Where were Greenpeace? Now that WOULD make an interesting sub-plot.... hmmmm, might write my own concept.) while yet another Big Corporation of AmericanLand try to Keep It SECRET, you can close your eyes plot the rest, and giggle.

No. I'm not wasting another minute on this.

But thanks for inspiring me to conceive of something different.

:D

I don't see how you can call the vet a polish character.

worldmaker
January 24th, 2014, 04:02 AM
I don't see how you can call the vet a polish character.

Polished, glossy, plastic, too pretty for words and having all the character of a lump of dead putty.

knowles2
January 24th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Polished, glossy, plastic, too pretty for words and having all the character of a lump of dead putty. How can you call the vet pretty or plastic glossy for that matter?

worldmaker
January 24th, 2014, 09:35 AM
How can you call the vet pretty or plastic glossy for that matter?

With a Hollywood-Poop-O-Meter.
Come pre-installed on all good TV sets nowadays.

boo1234
January 24th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Umm. Why didn't the people upstairs just bust a window open to vent the co2? Yes it is -60 outside but breaking a small hole in a window isn't going to drop the interior temps severely.

knowles2
January 25th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Why did they have to kill of the only interesting character?

An too much sentimental stuff going on.

And his brother isn't dead, because the virus isn't design to kill, I'm guessing the stopping of the heart is just the final phase of the transformation.

So the zombies don't attack the director of the facility, interesting.

One got to wonder how the scientist with the tumour got through basic medical checks.

boo1234
January 25th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I don't think Doreen is dead. How stupid are these supposed experts not to be wearing biohazard suits when working with a deadly and unknown pathogen just because they think it's not airborne? A lot of germs aren't airborne like ebola, yet still require special equipment beyond a face guard and some gloves.

knowles2
January 25th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I don't think Doreen is dead. How stupid are these supposed experts not to be wearing biohazard suits when working with a deadly and unknown pathogen just because they think it's not airborne? A lot of germs aren't airborne like ebola, yet still require special equipment beyond a face guard and some gloves.

She been inject with a huge dose of a unknown substance and she has dozens of infected rats crawling over her, whole an a massive shelf chuck on top of her. I very much doubt she going to turn to be alive.

mr_kennedy
January 26th, 2014, 02:50 AM
caught the premier today, not bad at all

Starfist
January 27th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I actually missed the episode that was shown on Channel 5 here in the UK last night.

Vecturist
January 28th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I'm trying to like the show since I want good sci-fi on TV, but the science (and science protocols) is horrible - like the microscopy (you can maybe see viruses using an electron microscope if you're very, very lucky), the test for the "infected," etc. If you want to make things more accurate, talk to a graduate science student and run things by them (trust me we'll work for cheap).

mr_kennedy
January 28th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Just watched the 3rd episode....

i want to like it, its just not grabbing me i'll give it the 6-9 episode rule :)

MossPlanktor
January 28th, 2014, 11:39 PM

i want to like it, its just not grabbing me i'll give it the 6-9 episode rule :)

I watched it last night, and i'm getting a bit fed up of the knowing glances between that Chinese doctor, and the security guard, and i'm getting fed up with who has jurisdiction?. No it's not getting me.

Spimman
January 31st, 2014, 01:18 PM

I gave it the 2 episode rule ;) :p

12OzMouse
January 31st, 2014, 06:31 PM
I see that they gave the show a 13 episode initial order. Of all the shows I record, Helix has been the last one I watch and that's mostly in self-defense. I'm not real impressed but I do hold out a bit of hope. I believe that what's been shown so far is just the preamble to main event. I'm hoping that the real story is still just a few episodes away. I've no concrete facts other than I have to believe that there's a whole lot more to this story other than what we've witnessed so far. I mean, so far, this whole show is pretty weak. I bet the lid's going to be blown off very soon. If it's not, then this has been a huge waste of time and money for SyFy.

Only thing is, if they don't get to it pretty soon they are going to lose what viewers they have. Maybe this week?

mr_kennedy
February 1st, 2014, 07:44 PM
I actually quite enjoyed the fourth episode, alot more mystery about it, i like Mr Hatake's enigmatic personality he adds something to the show

i've likened this to Doctor Who - The Waters of Mars, but if The Doctor took A really really really long time to figure out the water zombie people and how to stop them lol its not bad but it does need to pick up the pace abit episode 4 is a good start

I gave it the 2 episode rule ;) :p

:P

VampyreWraith
February 1st, 2014, 08:18 PM
I really liked the latest episode(5?). I find Sarah(the young blond doctor) really annoying though.

mr_kennedy
February 1st, 2014, 09:23 PM
Just watched the 5th episode it's getting better http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/smile/smiley-says-yes-emoticon.gif

I really liked the latest episode(5?). I find Sarah(the young blond doctor) really annoying though.

Yeah it's episode 5, and yeah i don't like her i did @first but like you i just find her really annoying now

VampyreWraith
February 1st, 2014, 09:53 PM
Just watched the 5th episode it's getting better http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/smile/smiley-says-yes-emoticon.gif

Yeah it's episode 5, and yeah i don't like her i did @first but like you i just find her really annoying now

I was actually kind of hoping that the infected person she was hiding in her room would kill her.

knowles2
February 2nd, 2014, 12:59 AM
I was actually kind of hoping that the infected person she was hiding in her room would kill her.

You're not the only one. Why did the vet have to die and she get to live.

Another boring episode. They spend more time chit chatting than actually working on understanding the virus.

VampyreWraith
February 2nd, 2014, 12:01 PM
You're not the only one. Why did the vet have to die and she get to live.
She did some pretty stupid things too, but she had a way better personality than Sarah does(imo), and wish she hadn't been killed. It does seem unfair that Sarah gets to live.

Another boring episode. They spend more time chit chatting than actually working on understanding the virus.

I was fine with Alan trying to figure out what happened to Doreen. It would've been weird if he had just ignored that and continued working on the virus. I liked the stuff with Julia and Hatake, and the stuff with Balleseros and Hatake's security guy was interesting to me too. Hvitt(sp?) probably has something to do with the virus and with what is going on, and I'm interested in seeing how that fits in. Sarah was the only thing I had a problem with in the latest episode.

Trig
February 4th, 2014, 05:57 AM
I guess producing a great series like BSG gains some major faith in your work from network execs.

BSG, did well.
Caprica, cancelled.
Blood & Chrome, well, that went well too..

So thats 1 out of 3....

I have been watching it though, looks good so far but only a few episodes in, I feel direct because its SyFy and I've not watched anything on SyFy since they cancelled everything I watched, then theres also the its on SyFy, no point getting into it as they'll just cancel it train of thought...

Trig
February 4th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Anyway, I'm still baffled as to why they would put the 3rd ep on line after the first two aired. Now this week will be a blank for all those who took advantage. For a show like this, seems like a foolish move.

SyFy in foolish move shocker...

Oooh no, wait a second... :D

psl1
February 5th, 2014, 10:23 PM
These days I just treat 'Helix' as the alternative channel I click on , when commercials are on the main show I'm watching.

12OzMouse
February 8th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I read a couple interviews this week with Ron Moore. I guess the purpose of them was to give him the opportunity to vent about today's sci-fi fans who apparently aren't able to enjoy a more cerebral type show. I think he was attempting to say that Helix is over our heads. Not his words, mine.

I said earlier that I imagine the comparative cost to make Helix is relatively low. So, they spent big bucks on Defiance and it hasn't preformed up to their expectations and now they are showing a "cerebral" type show and it's not breaking any records, either. Wonder who's going to take the blame?

After hearing that I did attempt to watch the last episode with the idea that maybe I was missing something. It sounds petty, but I can't get past the guy who was Jordon in the 4400. When I'm watching, that's all I can see. I could love a well made sci-fi show that was short on special effects but was strong in writing and content. It's just that so far, this topic, that Helix is based on, has been used 6 ways till Sunday and viewers are still waiting for something different to happen.

Maybe I've just watched too much tv?

boo1234
February 8th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I read a couple interviews this week with Ron Moore. I guess the purpose of them was to give him the opportunity to vent about today's sci-fi fans who apparently aren't able to enjoy a more cerebral type show. I think he was attempting to say that Helix is over our heads. Not his words, mine.

I am all for cerebral. I am not down with dumb.

jelgate
February 8th, 2014, 05:29 PM
If I hadn't already quit on Helix I would have on RDM's comment. Insulting your viewers is never a good idea.

Vecturist
February 9th, 2014, 08:06 AM
If Moore wanted a cerebral show, he could start with getting the science right - I may be in the tiny minority, but as a biologist, technobabble is part of my everyday life and it's painful when they get things wrong. Second, give me characters to care about - the one character I liked (Doreen) is dead. I'm not sure I really care about any of the others. Third, if you're going for a complex story with a lot of arcs, you need to give the viewers more - a few more hints here and there - I think Lost did this well for the most part and currently Person of Interest manages to do this. Lastly, if you're writing a dark story, you still need some moments of joy and/or humor - it can't be "we're all going to die" all the time.

12OzMouse
February 9th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I agree. One thing I noticed is that he seemed to be complaining about the content audiences have been trained to enjoy. I found this odd as he's been a big part of sci-fi content over the past 15 years and done a pretty good job with it as far as I'm concerned.

The latest episode was a bit better, but the way they've presented this story so far has probably cost them a lot of viewers. Your right, if your going to do a sci-fi show with minimal effects, you better at least get your science right.

The way SyFy has put him out there as the face of the show really hasn't done him any favors. I think he's realizing that now. Of course, I'm sure he's really both sold and proud of this show. I think that they are finally widening the core story but they should have done it earlier. Who knows? By the time this season is over it maybe really interesting. I still go back to the main theme. It's been done repeatedly and the time when they should have shown what makes this one different has come and gone.

I'm watching now purely out of curiosity to see what they do with it.

Trig
February 9th, 2014, 10:05 AM
If Moore wanted a cerebral show, he could start with getting the science right - I may be in the tiny minority, but as a biologist, technobabble is part of my everyday life and it's painful when they get things.

I would of though getting someone is as a technical consultant would of been an obvious one tbh, I'm not an artic explorer but standing outside with no face mask on having a conversation would of been a no go...

rkgardner2003
February 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I missed the last 2 episodes, but I'm not to upset about it...maybe that's a sign?

dipsofjazz
February 10th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I've watched the first 5 episodes and I can't say that it's grabbing me, although this episode was slightly better than the others.
They killed off the only character I liked Doreen and I find the rest of the characters to be annoying.

I'll probably continue watching just to see where it's leading to, but I won't worry too much if I happen to miss an episode.

VampyreWraith
February 10th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I'm still enjoying Helix. I thought the latest episode(6) was really good. I like how they are slowly revealing things.
I wasn't a fan of Alan sleeping with Sarah though.

Trig
February 11th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Nah bit of an odd one given the last time she sucked his face she was off her face, can't say I blame him tho, cold arctic weather, gotta keep warm somehow...

mrscopterdoc
February 15th, 2014, 04:05 PM
I'm watching now purely out of curiosity to see what they do with it.same here. It is just interesting enough to keep me watching every week, but I can't say I am "hooked" on it.

Wyrminarrd
February 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I like the show, there's something about it that has managed to draw me into it. I´m definitely curious about the "grey eyes" and want to know more about them.

Trig
February 16th, 2014, 03:38 PM
I'm not hugely taken by it so far, its lacking something but not sure what, I cant see much direction yet...

VampyreWraith
February 16th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I like the show, there's something about it that has managed to draw me into it. I´m definitely curious about the "grey eyes" and want to know more about them.

^Same here.

Amara D'Angeli
February 16th, 2014, 04:34 PM
As I was watching Friday night's episode it occurred to me that there were probably other folks here on GW who were watching the show. :) I've got to go back and catch up on all the pages on conversation, but I had to at least drop in and post (to subscribe) and point out that I thought this week's ep was probably one of the better ones. It seemed to answer some questions (finally) and start asking some incredibly intriguing ones.

The whole grey eye thing has me swimming. All this time I was thinking… this was a search for a cancer cure gone wrong. Clearly, that's not the case.

Trig
February 17th, 2014, 03:20 AM
At this point we dont know how Sci-Fi its going to go, are they aliens, are they genetically enhanced humans or what, theres no telling at this point...

Amara D'Angeli
February 17th, 2014, 06:02 AM
(Most) Quotes snipped…

I can't see how they can stretch this series out very long while isolated at the research facility unless they manage to break containment and go global.

Are they planning on making more of this show or is it just this one season? I just can't see how they would drag this premise out over more then [sic] one season...

I’ve been thinking about this a lot, lately. It made me wonder…are we going to follow the CDC folks as they work on another possible outbreak next season or do we stay with Arctic Biosystems (if they make it through all this or… (spoilered for most recent episode)

Will we now be following Ilaria Corporation? Because there’s no way (I can see) that this “in a bubble” thing works for more than one season – especially not with the rapid progression of storytelling.

Most of the characters are flat or annoying, and I am so tired of love triangles, especially one in the pilot.

I’m finding the romance angle to be contrived. There’s no chemistry between Alan and Sarah (in my opinion) and it’s clear she’s got some sort of hero worship/infatuation going on that… (spoilered for most recent episode)

And even more so now that they’ve slept together. I mean, he clearly wanted to address potential emotional issues and she blew it off thinking he either wanted or expected that but she missed a valuable opportunity to have an adult moment. Just proof positive that she’s too young and it wouldn’t have worked with Alan anyway.

The almost-catty relationship between Julia and Sarah is tired, too, IMHO. They’re really no competition for one another especially considering it’s now clear… (spoilered for most recent episode)

That Julia’s feelings run much deeper for Peter than they do for Alan thanks to her hallucinations.

I liked the 3rd episode that they streamed on syfy (episode 1 and 2 were the premier) much better than the series premier. My big gripe with the show is that I don't feel any connection with any of the characters except maybe the fat blonde one. The rest of the characters are just kind of blah. And, I can't see how they can stretch this series out very long while isolated at the research facility unless they manage to break containment and go global. The opening theme song is a little weird and seems out of character for the tone of the show.

I’d either forgotten about this detail or I didn’t see it (I didn’t watch the pilot on tenderhooks) so it came as a great surprise when… (spoilered for most recent episode)

Constance shows up and is glowy. And then Julia is glowy.

But I like the convention and I think it’s now and interesting way to tell infected from survivors(?).

She been inject with a huge dose of a unknown substance and she has dozens of infected rats crawling over her, whole an a massive shelf chuck on top of her. I very much doubt she going to turn to be alive.

I think Balleseros actually injected her with air and caused an embolism.

I'm trying to like the show since I want good sci-fi on TV, but the science (and science protocols) is horrible - like the microscopy (you can maybe see viruses using an electron microscope if you're very, very lucky), the test for the "infected," etc. If you want to make things more accurate, talk to a graduate science student and run things by them (trust me we'll work for cheap).

This is actually one of my biggest gripes about the show. I love sci-fi but, for me, it’s way more fun if the science is at least accurate enough that you’re not thrown out of the story line. I mean, hell, I’ve got college bio for non-majors (even if my dad is an immune-parasitologist) and even I cringe at some of the boneheadedly stupid science stuff.

They spend more time chit chatting than actually working on understanding the virus.

Honestly, I feel like I do the same thing. I feel like I’ve missed a lot because I don’t find the show terribly gripping and am, therefore, more likely to walk into the kitchen when we’re not on commercial break or play Temple Run on my phone while I’m supposed to be paying attention to what’s happening and why. So if I ask a stupid question, a little slack, please. :)

I could love a well made sci-fi show that was short on special effects but was strong in writing and content. It's just that so far, this topic, that Helix is based on, has been used 6 ways till Sunday and viewers are still waiting for something different to happen.

This is a side-note unrelated to the show. But I’m a film student and am in the process of developing a science fiction series for television. One of the perks of my classes was that they sent our pilot scripts to pro Hollywood readers. My show is heavy on science (physics, specifically) and on the politics of what is happening in the world at the time (more, cerebral, if you will). The top comment I got back was about needing a romantic interest for the main character (who appears at 70 years old for just that episode). We couldn’t even get him back to the present time and 40 years old to start plotting who might be the UST person for him. C’mon!!! So frustrating.

Third, if you're going for a complex story with a lot of arcs, you need to give the viewers more - a few more hints here and there - I think Lost did this well for the most part and currently Person of Interest manages to do this.

Thank goodness – I thought it was just me! I find this show difficult to follow because there are always so many more questions raised than are answered. I might care more about the answers to the new questions if the old ones are getting resolved… :S

Dumper
February 17th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Looks like channel 5 has given up on this in the UK. It's been moved from 10pm to midnight tonight and it looks like it's not on next week.

Edit.
It was just announced, it returns later in the year on 5*, not good.

dipsofjazz
February 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM
It must be doing really badly if it's being moved to 5*. That's Channel 5's death channel.

Trig
February 18th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Bet my series link for that wont work then lol

knowles2
February 18th, 2014, 04:15 AM
Looks like channel 5 has given up on this in the UK. It's been moved from 10pm to midnight tonight and it looks like it's not on next week.

Edit.
It was just announced, it returns later in the year on 5*, not good.
Not surprise, it was hardly advertise, and then stick it on at 10, and then no promotion whatsoever. Only they got something unique plan for the silver eyes people and not just some seen all before plot.

mr_kennedy
February 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Resistance is futile

Trig
February 19th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Suit's arent as tight as they used to be, and she doesnt seem as tall... lol

Wyrminarrd
February 19th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Anyone standing next to Billy Campbell will look small, the guy is 1,92m tall :) (Jeri Ryan is 1,73m).

knowles2
February 23rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
The last episode just felt like the writers manufacturing crisis to avoid answering our questions or revealing any of the details of the plot.

Wyrminarrd
February 24th, 2014, 02:36 PM
The last episode just felt like the writers manufacturing crisis to avoid answering our questions or revealing any of the details of the plot.

Hopefully we will get more answers now that alliances have shifted around a bit.

Kenton-Atlantis
February 24th, 2014, 09:58 PM
The last episode was my favourite the Grey eyes are sweet. And Dr. Hitaki is a cool character. Im loving the friday night at 10 pm on Showcase also perfect time for me. They even had this show advertised on my NHL 14 PS3 game it was on all the boards pretty cool cause i never seen that before. And gotta love Jeri Ryan.

VampyreWraith
February 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM
The last episode(8) was my favorite so far as well. I actually didn't dislike any of the characters in the episode(not even Sara, who I've really disliked for a while). I love Hatake, I think he's a cool character too. I liked Jeri Ryan as Constance. I'm almost kind of sad that Hatake cut off her head. I also like everything that's been going on with Julia, Balleseros and Daniel.

Trig
February 26th, 2014, 01:52 AM
His name isn't Daniel...

mr_kennedy
February 26th, 2014, 01:54 AM
His name isn't Daniel...

Spoiler but his name is Myksa (sp?)

VampyreWraith
February 26th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I don't know how to spell his birth name, so Daniel will do.

AresLover452
March 15th, 2014, 02:04 PM
i am LOVING this show!!! It was slow to startint he beginning, but it is picking up and I love it!!

mr_kennedy
March 15th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I wonder if it will get a second season? or atleast get some resolution

Amara D'Angeli
March 15th, 2014, 10:50 PM
I keep finding myself wondering where on earth they go with a second season. Would we stay with our CDC folks or with Hatake and company?

mr_kennedy
March 15th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I think if we did indeed get a second season i would prefer they focus on Hatake and company, or maybe a prequel or something

an interesting idea would be to revisit the days in cdc but focus on another group within the base i guess we could still see Hatake and maybe Alan

Amara D'Angeli
March 15th, 2014, 11:25 PM
I haven't been able to find any info on this show, really, but I get the impression that it's not meant to be an anthology. So that means it's very unlikely we get prequel info. I'm with you, though, I'd prefer to stay with Hatake. But maybe only if they continue on dealing with Narvik and the fall out.

On the flip side, watching the CDC team (well, what's left of them) head off to fight another crazy outbreak sounds like it could be fun, too.

mr_kennedy
March 15th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I could see Hatake being more interested in facing off against the Alaria Corporation rather then dealing with the fallout of the Narvik virus but thats just me, maybe split the group up into two teams?

i don't really think we will get a second season tho

Amara D'Angeli
March 16th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I think a second season is probably a long shot. But Syfy isn't looking for the same numbers network television looks for. And they've lost some other original programming. And the new head of the network is pushing hard for original content. So, I guess it's possible. :S We'll certainly see.

Trig
March 17th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Do we know how many episodes have been commisioned, are we having a mid season break or is it a full run in one go?

mr_kennedy
March 17th, 2014, 04:59 AM
13 episodes i believe

Trig
March 18th, 2014, 03:51 PM
13, ok so is that it, 13 and thats that or is it a 13 episode tester to see how it goes before they sign off on more I wonder..

mr_kennedy
March 18th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Yeah we don't know yet, i think its going to be a 1 and done kind of deal

Amara D'Angeli
March 18th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah we don't know yet, i think its going to be a 1 and done kind of deal

I doubt they intended it to be limited run or we'd have heard that. But it does seem like that may be the case after all.

Trig
March 21st, 2014, 06:49 AM
I suppose a 1 and done would make more fianacial sense as theres no actors wanting more money or no show and all the rest of it, 13 episodes you can pretty much show in one go and it be done, wonder if we'll see more of this sort of TV from SyFy if Helix pans out for them.

knowles2
March 21st, 2014, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I think a second season is probably a long shot. But Syfy isn't looking for the same numbers network television looks for. And they've lost some other original programming. And the new head of the network is pushing hard for original content. So, I guess it's possible. :S We'll certainly see.

But he also looking for new content which will get the wider media attention and create a GaT or Walking Dead type following, an I am sure he wouldn't mind Walking Dead rating either. That not going to be helix, not unless it suddenly ups it quality for the next series in every area. I'm betting he aiming for shows like Orphan black through, a dedicated fan base, an strong media interest and following in the show that goes beyond science fiction magazines/website.

The producers and writers have admitted they struggle to come up with enough story for the first season, which is why we got the love triangle, an frankly there are already signs that the writers are running out of ideas.

Personally I hope this is a one season show. The universe they have created is just not that exciting, though it could have been, especially if they made it from the start about a battle between 500 immortals or ultra long live humans trying impose their control on to the human race, the current storyline would just be one of several ongoing storylines about battles taking place across the globe against this group.

the fifth man
March 22nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Personally, I kind of hope we get another season. Overall, I have really enjoyed this show.

Trig
March 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
WeEll given theres only a few episodes left perhaps it'll be a cliff hanger?

Wyrminarrd
March 23rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
I hope that the show gets another season, but if not then it better not end on a cliffhanger :(

I'd be ok with an ending that has them escaping from the arctic but doesn't solve everything with Ilaria corporation and the grey eyes. That way at least there is some kind of closure to the story.

TheRandomOne
March 23rd, 2014, 03:44 PM
WeEll given theres only a few episodes left perhaps it'll be a cliff hanger?

There is only one more episode left

Trig
March 24th, 2014, 09:04 AM
There is only one more episode left

I'm in the UK, we're a bit behind..

VampyreWraith
March 28th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Yay! Helix has been renewed! :)

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/03/28/helix-renewed-for-second-season-by-syfy/248888/

mr_kennedy
March 28th, 2014, 03:16 PM
^ damn you beat me to it :p

I did not see it being renewed but oh well, i'm still not sold on this how yet but i don't hate it so i'm sticking with it, i'll probably be back for season 2

VampyreWraith
March 28th, 2014, 05:41 PM
^:P

I like it a lot, even though there are certain things about the show that annoy me. I find the plot interesting, I like most of the characters, and I think it's fun to watch. It's got a weirdness about it that I really like lol.

Amara D'Angeli
March 28th, 2014, 08:51 PM
For all the problems with it, it's one show that I actually watch *despite* the issues instead of just canceling it off my DVR (which I'm known to do with wild abandon) so that's really saying something.

AresLover452
March 29th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Was not expecting that...... O_O

Amara D'Angeli
March 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Likewise. But now I guess we know which direction the show is headed next season. :D

AresLover452
March 29th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I can't wait!!! and this show makes me want to have Silve contacts!! LMAO! I really like this show and it;s good to see something from Ron D. Moore back on TV!! he's got a flare for story telling!! LOL!

the fifth man
March 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM
I am really happy that this show was renewed. I can't wait to see where this goes next season.

AresLover452
March 29th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Me either!! It ended on an AWESOME note designed to bring us back!! WOW~!

mr_kennedy
March 29th, 2014, 08:48 PM
nice ending

Trig
March 30th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Ok so we get another 13 episodes, question is where are they going to go with it and will we end up being sold short, 13 episodes though, still at least that mean's non of the stupid mid season break bs...

Ian-S
March 30th, 2014, 03:57 PM
It's good that it's been renewed, but I'd have thought the companies head office would be the first place you looked for someone, you would't spend 7 months beating people for information on it's location, not exactly hard to find with honking great sign on side of building....

Season 2 is only going to be any good if Hataki is in it.

VampyreWraith
March 31st, 2014, 09:02 AM
^The office building wasn't really what Alan was looking for though. I think Ilaria is supposed to be a legitimate corporation, so it's not surprising that they have a building with their name on it(they might even have a few buildings with their name on it). Their helicopters have Ilaria written on them too, so I don't think they're hiding their existence or the location of their office buildings from the world(just what they're doing and who/what they really are). Alan also isn't looking for random immortals(he was able to find one of those to torture for info anyway). Alan is looking for Julia, he might have thought she was being held at some remote lab(kind of like the one they were in) being experimented on or whatever, not in an office building in the middle of Paris.

I wonder if Julia's mind has been taken over by Constance, Alan threw the assassin kid her head; and Ilaria was looking for Dr Hvit's head earlier in the season, so maybe the heads contain the person's consciousness or something and Constance's consciousness was transplanted into Julia. The guy that Alan was questioning did say that she was lost forever(or something like that), so maybe that's what he meant. I hope that if that is what happened, that Julia isn't actually gone, and that Constance is just suppressing her personality(or something).

I love Hatake, so I hope he's still around. I hope Sergio, Daniel2.0, and Anana are still around too. I don't care what happened to Sara, but she's probably still around. They went through all trouble of making her a pregnant immortal(because she couldn't have just stayed a brilliant scientist, they had to make her "special" too :rolleyes: ), so I doubt she's dead.

Ian-S
March 31st, 2014, 01:10 PM
Now that's one heck of a great theory :)

Wyrminarrd
March 31st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Interesting theory, it would explain the out of character seeming behavior.

Glad that this series got another season, it has really surprised me with how good it is.

VampyreWraith
March 31st, 2014, 07:47 PM
It sounds kind of weird/far-fetched lol, but besides the out of character behavior, it could explain the thing with the heads(why they kept them and why Ilaria might have wanted one). I just hope that the show doesn't try to say that Julia was working with Ilaria all along, like Peter(I don't think that would make much sense given how we've seen her act and everything else that's happened during the season); but I can't really see another reason for her to be running(or at least taking part in)what looked like a board meeting(and even if she was working with Ilaria why would she be part of the board). I doubt that she would have been able to gain that much trust in so little time(I suppose that could be possible though).

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next season lol.

Dumper
April 25th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Those in the UK can start watching new episodes starting tomorrow Sat 26th at 10pm on 5*.

dipsofjazz
June 21st, 2014, 11:38 AM
I really enjoyed this show, especially the last episode, and I look forward to seeing where they take things next season.

It's a pity they went with the (probable) 'super-baby' story. I don't like the character (Sarah), and really dislike the supposed romance with Alan. I see absolutely no chemistry between these characters.

I hope they cast a better baddie next season. The young lad in the last couple of episodes must have learned his trade at the 'Cheesy Bond Villains' School of Acting'. All that was missing was him twirling his moustache. :P

VampyreWraith
June 21st, 2014, 09:22 PM
I also really dislike the Sarah/Alan relationship. I like Sarah well enough though when she's focused on her work, and not pining after Alan. I actually find both characters more interesting and tolerable when they're not around each other. I really hope there isn't a super baby storyline.

mr_kennedy
January 5th, 2015, 12:27 PM
i wonder if Daft Punk will return for season 2

also good to have our own section

VampyreWraith
January 6th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Cool! This show has its own section now, I really wasn't expecting it to get one. :D

Trig
January 7th, 2015, 01:23 AM
See if we actually get a season 2, tbh I'm not really missing the show so I dont think I mind eitherway..

Mmmm Miss Shaw...

VampyreWraith
January 7th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Season 2 starts next Friday, I think. The promos I've seen for it make it look like a whole different show. The season looks to be interesting though (imo), and I'm actually really looking forward to it. :)

Trig
January 7th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Have heard nothing about it here in the UK, SyFy tho so its possible that they have been promoting the crap out of it and I havent watched it as I dont watch SyFy...

VampyreWraith
January 7th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I hardly ever pay attention to commercials even when I'm watching a channel lol. If it wasn't for internet ads, forums, and articles/blogs, I wouldn't know when anything aired. If they're planning on airing season 2 in the UK, it might start at a later date. Did it start at the same time as the US last year?

Trig
January 8th, 2015, 02:21 AM
Cant remember tbh

Ian-S
January 17th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Helix didn't start until the US air run had finished in the UK last year iirc, so probably the same again this year.

The only series on SyFy I remember running close was the first series of Defiance, which was a day after the US airing, second series didn't air until after it had finished the entire US run.

pakar
April 30th, 2015, 05:13 AM
As epected it was cancelled

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/helix/245892/helix-season-3-isnt-happening