Creating an Icarus-type planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating an Icarus-type planet

With the knowledge of how naquadria is created (and the ability to fill in the blanks with the help of Jonas Quinn) and the availability of time dilation tech via the Asgard core, would it theoretically be possible to begin the reaction that converts naquadah into naquadria and then engulf the planet this is happening on into a time dilation field and accelerate the process exponentially?

I would think if that were a possibility another Icarus type planet would be available quite quickly and the Tau'ri could possibly work on developing a supply line to Destiny...

Depends on whether they could find a suitable planet, preferably an unihabited one... But sounds reasonable.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
      With the knowledge of how naquadria is created (and the ability to fill in the blanks with the help of Jonas Quinn) and the availability of time dilation tech via the Asgard core, would it theoretically be possible to begin the reaction that converts naquadah into naquadria and then engulf the planet this is happening on into a time dilation field and accelerate the process exponentially?

I would think if that were a possibility another Icarus type planet would be available quite quickly and the Tau'ri could possibly work on developing a supply line to Destiny...
      Based upon what happens when you bomb a naquahdah planet and what happened at Langara, i think there's an incredibly high chance that the planet explodes. Also, It happened pretty fast at langara so i strongly doubt a TDF is needed in the first place.

Comment

And where would the power for said seeding and running of the TDF come from?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Based upon what happens when you bomb a naquahdah planet and what happened at Langara, i think there's an incredibly high chance that the planet explodes. Also, It happened pretty fast at langara so i strongly doubt a TDF is needed in the first place.
          Who said anything about bombing it? I mean, Earth could probably have a 304 on station monitoring the development and to protect it from potential threats, but my thoughts are more about actually creating a planet with a naquadria core, not the risks involved after.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          And where would the power for said seeding and running of the TDF come from?
          I assume it'd be more or less the same as when the Asgard used a time dilation device on Hala to stop the Replicators (but then the Replicators reversed it). If there isn't a built-in power source I imagine the Tau'ri could come up with something.

Comment

What i was more on about was, IS the amount of power needed to use said TDF for such a long time to seed the planet going to be a net loss in power generated via the Naquadria?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              What i was more on about was, IS the amount of power needed to use said TDF for such a long time to seed the planet going to be a net loss in power generated via the Naquadria?
              I wouldn't think so, but then I'm not sure we know what kind of power was used for the planetary TDF that the Asgard used on Hala. If I remember right the Odyssey nearly depleted its ZPM in the 50 years that the TDF was active, but I'm not sure we know what capacity it was at prior to Carter activating the field either.

So there's a number of variables to play with, but I would think having another planet with a naquadria core would be a tremendous benefit compared to the potential costs. Additionally, barring any security leaks, the Lucian Alliance would have no idea about it because the project would be conducted on a planet that either they would not consider or perhaps had already scouted and determined it didn't have the properties they need.

Since the personnel needed to conduct the experiment would theoretically be fairly low, maintaining the secrecy of the project would be a bit easier. At least until the time came to establish a new base, but knowing that Telford was the Alliance's informant the last time around Homeworld Command would probably make sure it didn't happen twice and implement some sort of new plan to keep the whole thing under wraps.

Comment

Who said anything about bombing it? I mean, Earth could probably have a 304 on station monitoring the development and to protect it from potential threats, but my thoughts are more about actually creating a planet with a naquadria core, not the risks involved after.
                Uhm? the only known way to convert naquahdah to naquahdriah is from the radiation released by a naquahdriah nuke?

That, and the conversion on langara was a rather destructive event, and i am not certain if the planet will even survive the transformation, or if it will be useful after that transformation. Based upon the rather incredible energy release of the conversion, it might very well become a molten blob.

I still do not see the point of using a TDF to speed up the process. However, based upon the fact that the odyssey nearly depleted a ZPM in 50 years in a tiny bubble, i am not certain how this is going to work out for an entire planet (which has a couple of million times more volume).

Sure, the asgard used a TDF on a planet, but it was a factor 10000 slower. Given that the odyssey TDF turned a couple of seconds into 50 years, it's speeding factor is orders of magnitude higher.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  Uhm? the only known way to convert naquahdah to naquahdriah is from the radiation released by a naquahdriah nuke?

That, and the conversion on langara was a rather destructive event, and i am not certain if the planet will even survive the transformation, or if it will be useful after that transformation. Based upon the rather incredible energy release of the conversion, it might very well become a molten blob.

I still do not see the point of using a TDF to speed up the process. However, based upon the fact that the odyssey nearly depleted a ZPM in 50 years in a tiny bubble, i am not certain how this is going to work out for an entire planet (which has a couple of million times more volume).

Sure, the asgard used a TDF on a planet, but it was a factor 10000 slower. Given that the odyssey TDF turned a couple of seconds into 50 years, it's speeding factor is orders of magnitude higher.
                  I imagine that the naturally occurring process could be deduced, between the likes of Carter, Quinn, McKay and perhaps any of our allies out there like the Tok'ra if they're willing to help.

They could probably also use the AI in the Asgard core not only to figure out how the cores of those previous planets transformed into naquadria but also how was the TDF generated on Hala and how was it powered? Since the replicators were able to reverse the slowing effect and actually accelerate it, I would think a significant amount of time passed within the field (unless it was stated otherwise somewhere and I just forgot).

Comment

I imagine that the naturally occurring process could be deduced, between the likes of Carter, Quinn, McKay and perhaps any of our allies out there like the Tok'ra if they're willing to help.
                    Even if you could transform it without a nuke, the reaction itself would still be devastating to the planet. Even a successful transformation could leave a planet a molten blob of magma, at which point you can't build anything on the surface.

Comment

Working...
                    X