Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - News/Speculation/Discussion

The sequel to 2011's solid Rise of the Planet of the Apes (discussion thread for that one here), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is currently slotted for a May 2014 release!

Some notes from the first film:
    • director Rupert Wyatt commented: "I think we're ending with certain questions, which is quite exciting. To me, I can think of all sorts of sequels to this film, but this is just the beginning."
    • Wyatt also stated that he wants it to take place eight years after the original, as a whole new ape generation can be born, and explore the dynamics of Caesar and Koba's relationship.
    • According to screenwriter/producer Rick Jaffa, a version of the spaceship from the 1968 Planet of the Apes is featured under the name Icarus in the film as a deliberate hint to a possible sequel.

Dawn news so far:

Andy Serkis will return as Caesar

Rise director Rupert Wyatt will not be returning; instead Dawn will be directed by Matt Reeves

Zero Dark Thirty actor Jason Clarke has been cast as the human lead

Further (from the Clarke link): Dawn will be set 15 years after Rise; one focus is on the human scientists who are struggling to survive alone in San Francisco. Another aspect of the story is the struggle of intelligent ape Caesar, played by a returning Andy Serkis, to maintain dominance over his kingdom.

A casting call for extras reveals the film will be "shooting this spring in New Orleans" and is looking for background performers who are "males & females, 18+, any ethnicity", so pretty much any adult will do. The film is also described as "A sci fi centered on the strange and unlikely interactions", which is kind of a wonderfully meaningless description. (Source)
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I can't wait for this movie, and the spoilers and trailers that will precede it. I really enjoyed Rise, and think the idea behind this sequel is a good one.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I liked Rise a lot, and I'm sure I will enjoy this, but I was hoping James Franco would reprise his role as the main lead. I hope he at least has a major role in this film, because in Rise, there was a bond between Caesar and Will Rodman that is too significant to just throw away.

Comment

I loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes, so I'm looking forward to this movie.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, for something 15 yrs later i am not sure they could reuse franko..

Comment

Rick Jaffa. If that guy isnt a Stargate fan i'll cry.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Well, for something 15 yrs later i am not sure they could reuse franko..
              A Cameo might be nice, or maybe a supporting character?
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

If we see him at all (which I'm rather doubting), I don't think it'll be much more than a cameo. Just my guess.

Though I do think it would be an interesting nod to the original films if, like Charlton Heston in Beneath, they had Franco play a small (in screen time) role, but which is pivotal to the plot.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I certainly hope we see James Franco reprise his role in this film. How big a part he should play, that I don't know. He should be in it though, at least IMO.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    If we see him at all (which I'm rather doubting), I don't think it'll be much more than a cameo. Just my guess.

Though I do think it would be an interesting nod to the original films if, like Charlton Heston in Beneath, they had Franco play a small (in screen time) role, but which is pivotal to the plot.
                    Heck, in the rebooted planet of the apes, charton played the aged/dying ape that was Theed's father.. Though it was listed on IMDB as being uncredited.

Comment

Oooooh wow, this movie just got 10x more awesome! Gary Oldman cast as the leader of the human resistance!!

Comment

Hmm.. sounds interesting.. Always liked oldman.

Comment

Will watch when it's released, but I've always considered the titles of these two films to be grammatically incorrect, I was always taught at School to never have two "The" in the same sentence so close.

They'd have rolled off the tongue easier too if they'd called them "Rise of the Apes" and "Dawn of the Apes".

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Oooooh wow, this movie just got 10x more awesome! Gary Oldman cast as the leader of the human resistance!!
                            I certainly like that casting move.
                            sigpic
                            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I actually only recently watched Rise of the Apes. I got the BluRay collection of the originals to replace my DVDs and found ROTA for $10 on BluRay so picked it. Did a marathon. Better than I thought it would be. Though felt a bit sorry for David Hewlett. WHUMP!

I would be glad to not see much of Franco in the next film. I just don't like his acting. Makes my eye twitch.

However I think this reboot telling will make an interesting series of movies. And just LOVE Andy! He's so awesome. I watched some of the behind the scenes stuff and he's so amazing at what he does. He should've been nominated for an Oscar! If he'd been human, he might have been. Poor Apes, don't get any love for awards.
                              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                              X